[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

Updated: July 2, 2009, 7:51 PM ET

[h2]Artest says he's leaving Rockets for LA[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

Free-agent forward Ron Artest says he's leaving the Houston Rockets to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

25.jpg

Artest

In a text message to ESPN.com on Thursday night, Artest wrote: "I am happy to say I am goin' to L.A."

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that Artest and the Lakers have reached a verbal agreement on what is believed to be a three-year contract worth an estimated $18 million. Wednesday is the first day free agents are permitted to sign new deals.

Artest's decision was first reported by CBSSports.com. The mercurial swingman was initially courted by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

In his text message, Artest said that he met Thursday with Lakers owner Jerry Buss and had spoken to coach Phil Jackson about the move to Los Angeles, where Artest has been spending his offseasons.

Artest's forthcoming arrival strongly suggests that unrestricted free agent Trevor Ariza -- who played such a pivotal run in the Lakers' championship run -- is bound to leave the team. Broussard reported Wednesday that, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations, Ariza was likely to leave the Lakers for a new team because L.A. was reluctant to sign him to a contract starting above the league's $5.6 million mid-level exception, even after Ariza's postseason success.

Ariza has been courted by numerous teams, including Cleveland, and met Thursday in Las Vegas with Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey to possibly swap spots with Artest.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

3 years-$18M?

PERFECT.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Good job.

Go get Lamar re-signed now.

I'm not good with the numbers how much do we have left without going over the Luxury?

If it takes trading Farmar to keep Shannon Brown, get it @%@!*%% DONE.

My reaction minus the SMH:

182368292e4a5bf373340663eab0f790c18c51c2.gif

CP is probably kicking his computer right now

Originally Posted by bright nikes

3 years-$18M?

PERFECT.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Good job.

I'm not good with the numbers how much do we have left without going over the Luxury?

I believe the Luxury tax is at $71-72M and the Lakers' payroll is at $80+M

Originally Posted by bright nikes

3 years-$18M?

PERFECT.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Good job.

there already over, even before getting artest they where

Originally Posted by KenJi714

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Pau , Odom, Artest, Kobe, Fish =
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
You forgot that bum Bynum...our team is soooooo loaded and for the next 3 years at minimum.

I am happy about Artest...I am.

But its still very sad to see Trevor leaving. I really liked this kid but don't talk about hometown discount and expect us to be STUPID and give you 8-10mil. 6.5 would have been max IMO.

If he goes to the Cavs for the MLE....
mad.gif

But at least we don't miss much now. I mean artest is older then Trevor but we know that Artest can get 17 to 20 points a game easy. He plays great D.Ariza was that hustle guy but is Artest. We all loved trevor for dunking on Grant Hill. He will be missed.

And now this is USELESS!!!

Dah well time to pick up an Artest...

Now what happens if nobody give Ariza that 32-40 mil? What if teams just start throwing him the MLE...what does he do then?

Trev's agent was stupid for going to the public about the negotiations.

I think if they had been more patient, Trev would have gotten a 5 year-$35M deal.

Back
Top Bottom