[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

I hope this guy Artest is not playing with our emotion. If he's serious about playing with L.A then
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by doyung9

Just an outsider who's curious... You guys are cool with Odom/Ariza for Artest? Because that's what's going to happen.

don't get worked up, I just want some Lakers' fans opinions.
What are you talking about? We resigning Odom and Ron is taking the MLE, he said he doesn't care about the money. I still want confirmation before I get too excited.
yep
pimp.gif

You guys are cool with Odom/Ariza for Artest? Because that's what's going to happen.

That makes no sense. If all the Lakers have to offer is whatever Artest is getting (MLE?), Ariza is offended by the MLE, and Odom can't be re-signed by theLakers because all they're going to spend is the MLE, then Odom & Ariza were never an option.

That's like asking if I'm cool with my girlfriend because I didn't get Megan Good (I recently saw 'Meet Dave'). I never had a chance withMegan Good.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Ric Bucher said Ron Artest will make a decision today ....
That's another guy that Lakers fans don't trust.

While I'm not sure why I'm disappointed at the prospect of the Lakers signing Artest to replace Ariza, it's nice to see an FA take offense to agood offer and have that team say, "don't let the door hit you on the #+!."

UPDATE: Lakers spokesman John Black declined to comment on Artest's assertion, but another person with knowledge of the situationcorroborated Artest's account that he will sign with L.A. pending the financial parameters being finalized.

Only 24 hours earlier, the buzz was focused on Artest joining LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal in Cleveland in what would've made a potent Big Three on the shores of LakeErie. It would've been, well, eerie, too: Artest's internal combustion engine, combined with LeBron's exquisite dominance and Shaq'salpha-male, all-round Shaq-ness would've been something to see.
But Artest said talks with Cleveland "never got that far." Told that Cleveland, by all accounts, had extreme interest, Artest said, "Idon't know how extreme. I love the Cleveland Cavaliers, though. I love LeBron and Coach (Mike) Brown and Shaq."

But what he really loves is L.A.

"L.A. is what it is," Artest said. "I've been here for the whole summer, and it's pretty good. It's good for me. I know Lamar Odom, so that's pretty cool."

Artest spoke as though Odom would return to the Lakers to join Artest and Kobe Bryant foranother title run. The addition of Artest would mean the Lakers have to choose between Odom and Trevor Ariza. Obviously, Ariza would be the odd man out and already has expressed displeasure withthe Lakers' efforts to lure him back with only the mid-level exception.

UPDATE: The addition of Artest is a coup for the defending champion Lakers, who have faced the prospect of trying to retain their own freeagents, Odom and Ariza, and have seen other contenders make major efforts to improve. Most notably, the Celtics dispatched their Big Three of KevinGarnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce, along with coach Doc Rivers and managing partner Wyc Grousbeck to Detroit on Thursdayto offer free agent Rasheed Wallace a mid-level contract. Cleveland's acquisition ofShaq put the Lakers, Celtics, and Magic on notice that the Cavaliers were making a serious push for atitle next season. The Cavs' pursuit of Wallace, Artest, and Ariza signaled that they weren't finished after the pre-draft trade for Shaq.

"I talked to Coach Phil, and I was happy to talk to him," Artest said. "Big fan of Coach Phil. My agent talked to Kupchak, and I met with Dr.Buss. I'm very, very excited."

happy.gif

We ain't goin nowhere...we ain't goin' nowhere...we can't be stopped now...cause it's Bad Boy 4 Life

LiCeNseD To BaLL:
pimp.gif
I am SOOOO hyped right now. *high fives Ska, KB8, Bright, Tupac, CP* This better be true.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

IF it were true, CP wouldn't high five you. Hisopinion is that Artest is a loser and that he doesn't improve his squads. So IF we were to pick him up, Iwouldn't imagine CP would be thrilled.

Me? I'd be thrilled if it were to happen, but it hasn't yet, and I don't want to jinx it by actinglike it's a done deal, which IT DEFINITELY IS NOT.

I've always been a fan of Ron Artest, and the team I saw him with last was the Houston Rockets, so that's who his team is. He's not on my team. He is not a Laker. That would be nice, but it hasnot happened.
E3LAL:
*holds breath, crosses fingers*
This.

[h1]Lakers close to deal with Artest[/h1]

47845261.jpg

Email Picture

Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times

Houston Rockets forward Ron Artest, right, is guarded by the Lakers' Kobe Bryant in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals on May 17. The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Artest.

The move would probably end the pursuit of forward Trevor Ariza.

By Mike Bresnahan
4:26 PM PDT, July 2, 2009
The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Houston forward Ron Artest, The Times has learned.

Artest has been meeting with Lakers executives throughout the day and is expected to agree to terms later this afternoon.

Artest will likely want the full mid-level exception from the Lakers, which will work out to five years and about $32 million. (The NBA will soon announce the actual cost of a mid-level contract for next season.)

Artest, who will be 30 in November, enjoys the Los Angeles lifestyle and was a presence in the courtside seats for some of the Lakers' games in the NBA Finals.

He is still a formidable defender and averaged 17.1 points last season, though he would have to take a pay cut because the Lakers don't have much money at their disposal when it comes to other team's free agents.

The addition of Artest would basically end the Lakers' pursuit of Trevor Ariza, who met today with the Houston Rockets.

Artest was also connected with other championship-caliber teams, including Cleveland and Orlando. He would have to take mid-level money with both of them as well because the Cavaliers and Magic are over the salary cap.

[email protected]

I like this article better than that CBS crap.
laugh.gif

I don't think it's a good fit. I sure would like to see it though.

Artest is a star player. Lakers only need a player who knows his role at that starting SF position. They do not need a player who will chuck up 15 shots a game and take ill-advised shots. This is Kobe and Pau's team. Everyone else is only taking shots because they're getting open looks. Will Artest abide by this? It could be a nightmare if he doesn't. If this was the Artest from his Indiana days, it would be a dream. If they lock him for 5 years though, wow, what a steal. He should be making 10/mil a year.

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

I don't think it's a good fit. I sure would like to see it though.

Artest is a star player. Lakers only need a player who knows his role at that starting SF position. They do not need a player who will chuck up 15 shots a game and take ill-advised shots. This is Kobe and Pau's team. Everyone else is only taking shots because they're getting open looks. Will Artest abide by this? It could be a nightmare if he doesn't. If this was the Artest from his Indiana days, it would be a dream.
Excuse me? Why would you want to see it when your against us now? Oh wait, now that we won the chip you decided to jump back on thewagon...right...
eyes.gif

bright nikes:
It will be interesting seeing what his decision is. Apparently his former team is the Rockets. Who will his next team be? The Cavs? The Lakers(which HASN'T HAPPENED YET!!!!)? Maybe join Dwight Howard? Stay with the Rockets? I'll be staying tuned. To see where he goes. Because we don'tknow yet. Because he's definitely not with any teams as of right now. Definitely not.

nerd.gif

bright nikes:
[h1]Lakers close to deal with Artest
[/h1]

Email Picture
By Mike Bresnahan
4:26 PM PDT, July 2, 200

[email protected]

laugh.gif

'Close to'. Interesting.

I remember when Kidd was close to being a Laker, and I got so happy, and then we all woke up to a big 'SIIIKE!!!' from N.J., since we were completelyunwilling to throw in Bynum, who they really, really, really wanted.

But it was supposed to happen.

I thought it would happen.

I was celebrating the happening.

But it didn't happen.

So I celebrated something that didn't end up happening.

This, though? This hasn't happened yet. Artest is still a free agent. He's 'close to' signing a deal with some team out there, but hehasn't signed with anyone yet. I'm sure a bunch of potential lineups are running through his mind.
- Mo
- Artest
- LeBron
- Big
- Shaq

That would definitely be tempting.
- Fish
- Kobe
- Artest
- Odom/Pau
- Pau/Bynum

That would be more tempting if I were him. But I'm not. So we'll see what he says/decides.

Dear God, I'm trying so hard not to screw this up.
laugh.gif

Ska i feel ya i know it hasnt happened yet. Its so damn tempting to celebrate like it has though
laugh.gif

I love ariza but its a business, if we get artest ill be ecstatic. Goodbye trev, your still my dude...go make that money.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

bright nikes:
It will be interesting seeing what his decision is. Apparently his former team is the Rockets. Who will his next team be? The Cavs? The Lakers (which HASN'T HAPPENED YET!!!!)? Maybe join Dwight Howard? Stay with the Rockets? I'll be staying tuned. To see where he goes. Because we don't know yet. Because he's definitely not with any teams as of right now. Definitely not.

nerd.gif

bright nikes:
[h1]Lakers close to deal with Artest
[/h1]

Email Picture
By Mike Bresnahan
4:26 PM PDT, July 2, 200

[email protected]

laugh.gif

'Close to'. Interesting.

I remember when Kidd was close to being a Laker, and I got so happy, and then we all woke up to a big 'SIIIKE!!!' from N.J., since we were completely unwilling to throw in Bynum, who they really, really, really wanted.

But it was supposed to happen.

I thought it would happen.

I was celebrating the happening.

But it didn't happen.

So I celebrated something that didn't end up happening.

This, though? This hasn't happened yet. Artest is still a free agent. He's 'close to' signing a deal with some team out there, but he hasn't signed with anyone yet. I'm sure a bunch of potential lineups are running through his mind.
- Mo
- Artest
- LeBron
- Big
- Shaq

That would definitely be tempting.
- Fish
- Kobe
- Artest
- Odom/Pau
- Pau/Bynum

That would be more tempting if I were him. But I'm not. So we'll see what he says/decides.

Dear God, I'm trying so hard not to screw this up.
laugh.gif

Well that was a matter of banking the Lakers future on Bynum and an aging Kidd. Now it comes down to money. Get it right Lakers.

Back
Top Bottom