[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

^ I'd go with Vujacic as the guy to unload.

Luke is better than Sasha, and Morrison hasn't been given a chance to fail. Sasha has, and... he has.

On coaching, I agree that Byron Scott isn't the best coach in the NBA, but I'm kinda hoping for either him or Van Gundy.

Between him and Jeff, if I were forced to choose, I couldn't. Reason being: neither of them has done anything spectacular that puts him worlds ahead of theother.

Wasn't Jeff the Knicks coach the last time they were in the Finals? I guess that's saying something, but #1. they were swept, #2. hell, they had one ofthe greatest centers in NBA history (Patrick Chewing), one of the greatest shooters in NBA history (H20), a super raw and talented Latrell, Grandmama, and aKurt Thomas who was FAR more effective than the guy currently in trade talks from the Spurs. They better have done something in the playoffs.

Enh, I guess that he coached in the 90s, and coached one of the top 90s teams... I guess that's more than Scott has ever done.

Y'all think Michael Cooper's success with the Sparks (WNBA) would translate to the NBA? Reports are that NBA teams have already been in contact withLaimbeer, and his only head coaching experience has been with the Detroit Shock, one of the best teams in the WNBA (3-1 in the Finals, currently holding theFinals trophy). Cooper's 2-1 in the Finals, and I think he was supposed to take an assistant coaching position with the Nuggets last year, but decided toremain with the Sparks (
smokin.gif
).
CP1708:
Ska, if Kobe takes a max deal, we might as well buy his and his kevlar together. Cuz I'm comin in firin like this was a Blazers just traded for Steve Nash thread.
You're allowed to fire; I'm implicitly told to stand down. I'm repeatedly told to stand down. I'm repeatedly told to stand downwhen I'm not even firing shots.
laugh.gif

So fire away, big guy (no Kevlar necessary
wink.gif
).

I guess that's saying something, but #1. they were swept, #2. hell, they had one of the greatest centers in NBA history (Patrick Chewing), one of the greatest shooters in NBA history (H20), a super raw and talented Latrell, Grandmama, and a Kurt Thomas who was FAR more effective than the guy currently in trade talks from the Spurs. They better have done something in the playoffs.

FYI, the Knicks were the 8 seed and lost the Finals in five w/o post wrist injury Ewing.

Lakers Fan Day Event! [table][tr][td]Wednesday, 17 June 2009 13:33[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Luis here ….Don't forget to come out and support our sponsor as Frank & Son Collectibles Show presents Lakers Fan Day!

Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza, & Shannon Brown will be making an appearance and sighing autographs at Frank & Son Collectibles on Saturday June 27 any time between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Frank and Son is Located at 19649 San Jose Ave City Of Industry CA 91748

UPDATE:For Autograph Pricing & Pre-Sale info CALL NOW! (909) 590-3713

Tell them Nuke The Fridge sent you!
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Price for Signatures

Odom $69
Ariza $59
Sasha $59
Brown $49
Powell $49

If I have nothing to do, I'll go since its right down my wifeys crib.

For those that havent been to F&S in awhile remember it moved off san jose ave.

laugh.gif
@ the prices.

70-50 bucks for an auto?

Turned WAY off.

If I come to an event to meet a player I should just get auto's..

Hell if kobe can give me a free auto I don't see why they shouldn't....

Damn ska, couldn't we have avoided this if post #358 read, "I wouldn't blame Kobe if he didn't takea pay cut, but it would be nice"?

It would have been much better than the sensitive Kobe fan claim, twice.

I'd still disagree with:
the team made a pro-Kobe decision and it would be nice if he now made a pro-team decision.
because of what I already stated, signing Kobe was a pro-team decision, but we could have avoided the rest. Still, you and CP are way off basewith this Kobe fan versus or in addition to Laker fan stuff. It's Laker fan and Laker fan only. Again, we just have a difference of opinion.

Still, I was wrong. I assumed you were also blaming Kobe for not taking a cut in pay. It turns out you just wanted to let us know it would be nice of Kobe todo it. Sorry for the grief.
I wouldn't ask Kobe to opt out, not knowing if it's truly needed, but if it is needed, he better do it.
Again, Kobe has 'til the 30th to opt out. FA negotiations cannot begin 'til July 1. Kobe won't know until it's too late.

According to http://www.realgm.com/src...ant_free_agency_primer/,he's likely to opt out next season.

Regarding the next coach, I'm in for anyone that can get this team to move the ball the way it did at the end of last season and the beginning of thisseason.

if phil were to leave, b shaw or rambis would be the best fill in.

not b scott of jvg.

why? because changing the offense that got us to the championship with a new system (jvg or b scott) would be too dramatic. we dont need that and the teammight not buy into it.

so if phil leaves is that the end of the triangle? or do we assume that if Rambis steps in he's going to continue it? does anyone in the league even coachthe triangle besides the lakers staff?

What's up everyone?! Finally got to post again after a longggg *#+ time
laugh.gif
Been away on holidays and busy with Bball training and stuff so i haven't been able to logon in ages. Hope everyone's doing well.

First off, i know it's late but I'm happy as hell we won the championship
pimp.gif
I was so nervous that whole game 5 right down to the final minute that you'd think i was actually playing for the team
laugh.gif
I'm proud of how the team grew together and developed the heart andtoughness needed to win it all...Nobody better call us soft/lacking toughness after everyone thought we'd get punked by the Nuggets frontcourt and Dwight,but we did the punking instead. Hats off to our guys
pimp.gif

Anyway, I gotta say, I'm hoping that we get to resign both Ariza and Lamar...we need them both next year. I hope it happens somehow someway...hopefullyBuss will fork out the dough.

As for the draft, I want Ellington. I think he'd fit well in our system. He's deceptively athletic, can shoot lights out, plays decent D, decenthandles, and comes from a winning tradition. And we have a need in the backcourt in case Sasha is indeed a one-year wonder. We'll see how it plays out, butI haven't been this happy during the offseason in like 7 years
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

To be quite honest, I am not impressed with B.Shaw or Rambis as our head coach.

Rambis was a huge dissapointment as our defensive coach, if the Lakers couldn't follow his simple game plan or he couldn't get them to buy into hisdefensive philosphies - its gonna be tough for them to follow him along as coach.

^^^didn't Rambis already get his shot coaching this team before? Or was that just on an interim basis...i think it was during the '99 season orsomething....i can't seem to remember properly at the moment.

i want b.shaw or jvg as our coach...im cool off rambis he failed with us already

tupac is right though we can talk about kobe taking a pay cut and such but its all just speculation were just gonna have to wait and see...anyways what youguys think of jefferson on the spurs?...can they give us a run for our money if we keep this team?

The appeal of Byron Scott is that he's a former Laker who has played with Kobe so we're left to assume that he'd have Kobe's respect.

The appeal of Jeff Van Gundy is the idea that he'd get the team to play defense and not be afraid of Kobe.

From what I've read and heard here and there, there are quite a few coaches that know the triangle. The Bulls and their coaches aren't the only peoplerunning that offense.

I wonder if they could be hired and have them retain enough of the current staff to keep running the offense? I'm sure Rambis will add his own plays to theoffense so I doubt it would be that different.

Then again, the Lakkers would have to pay more for Scott or JVG and I'.m sure they'd like to save some money after all these years of paying Jacksontop dollar.

Shoot, the Lakers don't seem to run the triangle well anyway so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I'd say Phil comes back another year, just one more, if the entire squad is back.

Byron Scott has one more year left on his contract, you just never know what can happen.
wink.gif

Oh, and just cuz I think it's funny, since the Lakers are the Lakers and they have a history of pulling it off, if they did sign Scott and pretty soon CP3contract will come up and NO won't have the money to pay him, and by then Kobe and Odom and Pau and all them could be gone, or on the way gone, CP3 couldalways rejoin his former coach in LA.
happy.gif

Not saying it's gonna happen for sure, but Shaq wasn't gonna leave Orlando either. Kwame wasn't tradeable either. Nobody wanted Brian Cookeither.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Nobody wanted Brian Cook either.
wink.gif
with all of the talk about being a laker fan first or a fan of certain "players" first this may get me in some trouble. But I thinkthats what made this cahmpionship the MOST satisfying for me...the fact that Brian "the softest power forward in nba history" Cook DIDNT get a ring.

Originally Posted by Grimey

laugh.gif
@ Sasha's autograph price. Comedy.
my doo doo isnt worth sashas autograph...although he did sign my kobe mvp shirt before they played the warriors in oakland this year
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by Grimey

laugh.gif
@ Sasha's autograph price. Comedy.
my doo doo isnt worth sashas autograph...although he did sign my kobe mvp shirt before they played the warriors in oakland this year
laugh.gif

reminds me of silkk the shocker. When Master P was trying out with the Raptors they played the nuggets out here in pre season at the air force academy and Ihad just got my new slam with White Chocolate and C-webb on the cover. There was an ad on the inside for the new "TRU" album P signed it earlier inthe day as he was comin off the bus. Me and a few of my boys spotted Silkk sittin by himself we walked over took a pic with him and I asked him to sign thead..he grabs the book..closes it and signs the cover
indifferent.gif

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers will likely unload at least one of their three draft picks.

They have the 29th pick in the first round and the 42nd and 59th picks in the second round of Thursday's draft.

General manager Mitch Kupchak said Wednesday that there was a "better than even likelihood" the team would get rid of its first-round pick.

"There's a lot of interest, absolutely," he said. "Certain teams, they may want to preserve cap space for the next year or two and they may need to add players. A good way to add talent at a fixed price is to have a lot of draft choices and then you can still maintain cap space a year from now."

[h4]More NBA draft[/h4]
insider_logo.gif

Want the latest buzz from around the NBA draft? Our daily Draft Buzz and Rumor Central entries have it.
Buzz
in.gif
| Rumors
in.gif

The Lakers are hopeful they will re-sign Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown and Lamar Odom, all of whom become unrestricted free agents on July 1. If so, that would bring the roster to the league-minimum 13 players, making it unlikely the team would add another player.

"With our situation, you don't want to draft players that can't make your team because your roster's full," Kupchak said. "So we may look to move or to exchange our draft picks for future picks or whatever we choose to do."

With point guard Derek Fisher approaching 35, Kupchak acknowledged the team has been preparing to find his successor. Leading up to the draft, the team has worked out about 30 players.

"We have Jordan [Farmar], who's had moments when he looks like the guy who could assume that position and Shannon Brown did a great job as well, but I think that position in the future is still undetermined," Kupchak said. "We need to figure out who is going to take over that position when Derek retires."

Kupchak anticipates finding out whether Phil Jackson will return as coach by mid-July after Jackson checks out his health issues.

During his two stints with the Lakers, Jackson has had two hip replacement surgeries, an angioplasty and gout. He missed two games last season with swelling and soreness in both legs.

Jackson said in an interview with ESPN radio on Tuesday that "we've toyed around with that idea" of having him coach home games and having assistant Kurt Rambis coach road games next season.

But Kupchak said Wednesday that Jackson wouldn't return unless he's able to coach the entire 82-game schedule.

"What he said, he didn't mean it to sound the way it sounded," Kupchak said. "If he comes back to coach, he will come back and coach both home and away games. During my discussion with him it was pretty clear that that type of scenario doesn't work and that's his opinion as well."

Kupchak believes there is a good chance of Jackson returning.

"I think he wants to come back, I think he likes our team, he's excited, he's very energized with what took place this year," Kupchak said. "I think it solely rests on his ability medically to come back and coach. I've got no indication there's been a red flag yet."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

JVG is the truth. Dude has humor and the will to push superstars around like scrubs

I don't know about that. The superstars he had weren't winners. It would be different with the Lakers. He'd still watch his step.

This team needs someone to smooth out the rough edges, keep them motivated, and provide guidance, not a micro-manager. I'm not stating that I believe JVGand Scott would micro-manage, but they may not be the same guys they were before signing on as coach of the Lakers.

thats what made this cahmpionship the MOST satisfying for me...the fact that Brian "the softest power forward in nba history" Cook DIDNT get a ring.

It's certainly a vindication for Mitch Kupchak. That was a draft (2003) where he (and many others) missed out on some nice complementary pieces. He'sturned a lot of his lemons into lemonade.

How do you guys feel about Nick Calathes at 29? He's a prototypical triangle offense PG at 6'5 and can shoot. Lakers can draft him, and store himoverseas to save some money for Lamar and Trevor.

Back
Top Bottom