09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

so the official florida line is -62
smh.gif

laugh.gif
They've scored 62 points three times during the Tebow era... Never would have covered 62.

Just because it deserves noting...
Tuesday morning began just like any other morning for football star Kaleb Eulls.

[table][tr][td]
KALEBEULLS27_26200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kaleb Eulls saved the lives of 22 students Tuesday morning.[/td] [/tr][/table]Eulls and his three younger sisters were among 22 passengers on a school bus bound for Yazoo County High School until a 14-year old female student boarded the bus armed with a .380 semi-automatic handgun threatening to shoot and ordering the bus driver to pull over.

Eulls had fallen asleep at the back of the bus listening to his mp3 player and did not realize what was happening until one of his sisters woke him up.

"My sister that was in front of me woke up and told me that the girl had a gun," Eulls said. "She was pointing it back and forth at other people and the little kids that were sitting at the back. I just thought real quick and tried to grab her attention before she pointed the gun at anybody else. I wanted her to point it at me so she wouldn't point it at anybody else."

Eulls then opened up the emergency door located in the back and began evacuating as many students as he could from the rear of the bus while trying to reason with the armed female.

"I just tried to talk to her and calm her down," said the 6-foot-4, 255-pound Eulls. "She was just getting louder and louder. I guess for a quick second she looked out the window and when she did that I just sprung at her. I just knocked her down and got the gun away from her. When I got the gun I ran out the back door and disarmed it."

Eulls, who is a four-star defensive end that is verbally committed to play football at Mississippi State next year, was not concerned for his own well being at the moment. He selflessly did what he thought was the right thing to save the life of the others on board.

"I was just scared for the younger kids and my family that was on the bus," Eulls said. "I was just thinking things out step-by-step as quickly as I could. After we got to the school and watched the tape I just sat there thinking 'what in the world did I just do?' I just thought about what if this would have happened or if this would have happened? It was just crazy."

Eulls, already a hometown sports hero in the town of just over 1,300, earned the respect of the local law enforcement.

"The (officers) who have been there for a long time told me that they have stared down many barrels before and always felt like it was a big cannon pointing at them," Eulls said. "It is one scary feeling."

Yazoo County Sheriff Tommy Vaughn was quoted in the Jackson, Miss., based The Clarion Ledger saying "If it hadn't been for this star football player, things could have been different. He didn't go overboard, but he did exactly what it took to get her on the ground.

"He made the statement to one of my deputies that if she was going to shoot anyone he would rather she shoot him. Watching him do that and him doing such a heroic act and not even caring about his own safety, that's something you don't see every day."

The female assailant was arrested on 22 counts of attempted aggravated assault, 22 counts of kidnapping and one count of possession of a firearm on school property. She was taken to the county juvenile detention facility.

As for people now calling a hero, Eulls feels he was just doing what anyone else would have done in that situation.

"I just tell them thank you and not to do anything crazy like that," Eulls said.

Eulls is rated the No. 19 defensive end in the nation and the No. 8 overall prospect in Mississippi by Rivals.com. He holds scholarship offers from the likes of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Southern Miss and Tennessee but has been committed to the Bulldogs since early July.
pimp.gif

great, great story
pimp.gif

glad to hear some good is going on in the world!

I have NC State (+1.5) and Oregon (+9) teaser. I think NC State with Wilson @ home win easily and Oregon should probably win SU.

For Saturday I really like:

Penn St. -27 (See OOC games last year, avg. margin of victory against akron is 25 points the last 3 meetings)
Cal -21 (Cal was caught off guard by 9 am start on east coast last year, revenge game, Berkley will be fired up, statement game)
Illinois -7 (Illini have a lot of experience returning and Mizzou lost 5 of their best defenders and playmakers on offense)
Alabama -6 (I think Alabama's D is too much for Vtech, SEC flexes its muscles)

The Hurricanes released the depth chart for the season opener today. Here it is:

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

WR Laron Byrd, Leonard Hankerson

OL (L to R) Jason Fox, Orlando Franklin, AJ Trump, Harland Gunn, Matt Pipho

TE Dedrick Epps

QB Jacory Harris

HB Javarris James

FB Patrick Hill

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE

WR Aldarius Johnson, Travis Benjamin

OL (L to R): Ben Jones, Brandon Washington, Tyler Horn, Joel Figueroa, Jermaine Johnson

QB AJ Highsmith

HB Graig Cooper (Lee Chambers third team)

TE Richard Gordon

FB Tervaris Johnson

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

DE Steven Wesley (left), Marcus Robinson (right)

DT Allen Bailey (left), Josh Holmes or Marcus Forston (right)

LBs Colin McCarthy, Darryl Sharpton, Sean Spence

CB Brandon Harris, Demarcus Van **** or Sam Shields

S Randy Phillips, JoJo Nicolas

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE

DE Olivier Vernon (left), Andrew Smith (right)

DT Joe Joseph (left), Marcus Forston or Josh Holmes (right)

LB Ramon Buchanan, Arthur Brown, Jordan Futch

CB Chavez Grant, Demarcus Van **** or Sam Shields

S Jared Campbell, Vaughn Telemaque

* Jake Wieclaw will take over kickoffs from Matt Bosher. Bosher is handling punting and placekicking.

The punt return is Graig Cooper with Travis Benjamin and then Thearon Collier behind him.

The kickoff returners are Graig Cooper and Lee Chambers with Brandon Harris and Mike James behind them.

The long snapperon punts is Chris Ivory; on field goals it's Jake Byrne. The holder is Matt Perrelli.

BB messed the format up.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

why isnt Travis Benjamin the main KR....
smh.gif
.....cooper cool but travis is electrifying
I just read an interview where Coop said he was returning kicks which threw me off. If i remember Benjamin is
sick.gif
in the open field. He almost beat us last year by himself on returns

No offense to Cooper or anything but T. Benjamin seems like the best option

Originally Posted by jville819

smh.gif
I just read an interview where Coop said he was returning kicks which threw me off. If i remember Benjamin is
sick.gif

yea he like 250+ total yards against yall ....he remind me of roscoe parrish (one of my fav cane player) a lil bit

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Cal -21 (Cal was caught off guard by 9 am start on east coast last year, revenge game, Berkley will be fired up, statement game)

LOL
Everyone knows Maryland scheduled that noon game for the advantage since Cal just got in the night before and it obviously worked because theyjumped out to an early lead and despite i think 21 points in the 4th couldn't come back all the way back. Tedford believes Cal can contend for the RoseBowl this year and wants to have a huge game with revenge factor at home. Cal wins this by 3 TDs + and Im willing to make a side bet on it.

I also really like Minny too I forgot to put that in there. They have the most returning starters in the Big 10 I believe and Syracuse is well...Syracuse.

Jojo Nicholas starting is puzzling to say the least. He was an incredible liability last year.

Rivalry Remains in Florida, but Much Has Changed

03college.1.600.jpg

Receiver Santana Moss was part of a powerful Miami Hurricanes offense in 1999.

By PETE THAMEL
Published: September 2, 2009
Just imagine 10 years ago, heading to Miami's annual game with Florida State and proclaiming: "One decade from now, a game between Boise State andOregon will have two higher-ranked teams and more national title implications than Miami-Florida State."

You would have been laughed off the Panhandle.

But that's what will happen on Thursday night, on a blue turf field more than 2,000 miles from the Sunshine State. No. 14 Boise State will host No. 16Oregon in a game with more buzz, relevance and national title ramifications than the Monday night game in Tallahassee between No. 18 Florida State and unrankedMiami.

In the decade since Florida State and Miami's annual game provided a bellwether for the national title, much has changed on the college football landscape.Florida State and Miami, which have met in the season opener in recent years, now play to determine which team will have a longer season. Both have becomeafterthoughts to the University of Florida in the national consciousness.

The rise of remote Western programs like Boise State and Oregon epitomizes the shift over the last decade. More good players, spread offenses and greatertelevision exposure have flattened the college football world.

Boise State's blue field has evolved into one of the best marketing gimmicks in the history of college sports: It has become an emblem for weeknightfootball and a symbol for trick plays unfolding during last call on the East Coast.

Oregon has shown it has more than just a pretty uniform, as the Ducks, bolstered by millions of dollars in donations from Phil Knight, a Nike co-founder, havebecome a West Coast destination program. (Oregon's locker rooms are so plush they make Club Med look like the prison from "The ShawshankRedemption.")

"There's a lot more parity in college football these days," said Leon Washington of the Jets, a former Florida State tailback who recalls fondlythe high-stakes games with Miami. "You see athletes going everywhere, not just concentrated at the big schools. You're not going to find as manypowerhouses as you used to."

He then nodded to the locker next to his, where Jets cornerback Drew Coleman, a former Texas Christian star, was dressing.

"You'll see athletes even ending up at Texas Christian," he said. "Other teams have gotten better."

Think back a decade ago, with Miami shaking off the final cobwebs of probation with a roster dotted with names like Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss and Ed Reed. Anunbeaten Florida State marched to a national title in 1999 behind stars like Chris Weinke, Peter Warrick and Travis Minor.

At that time, the only thing people might have known about Boise State was that it played on a blue field. (Boise State, which was four years into Division I-Astatus, did not even play on Thursday night that year; this year it will play five games on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night.) Oregon was emerging as anational program but still had not started changing uniforms more often than Gisele Bündchen changes outfits.

Back then, Miami's scout teams would have beaten Boise State, said Warren Sapp, a former star defensive lineman for the Hurricanes. "Doesn'tmatter what year, our scout teams would beat them."

Sapp, now a commentator on Showtime's "Inside the N.F.L.," adores Miami Coach Randy Shannon, who was his defensive line coach at Miami, jokingthat he loves that "an inmate is running the asylum."

But Sapp's prognosis of Miami's situation is pithy: "We're walking the plank. You can say what you want, but we're walking theplank."

The launch back to national relevance does not appear imminent for either Miami or Florida State. Miami opens the season with a schedule that reads more likeone for a Sun Belt program than for a team with five national titles. The Hurricanes follow their game at Florida State with Georgia Tech, a trip to VirginiaTech and Oklahoma. Miami has two scholarship quarterbacks, a sophomore and a true freshman. If the Hurricanes start the season 2-2, they should throw a partyin Coral Gables.

If they are below .500, rumors will begin circulating about the former Hurricane assistant Tommy Tuberville taking over and trying to win with the talentShannon has recruited. (Think Urban Meyer taking over at Florida for Ron Zook, minus any off-field shenanigans.)

Things don't look much better in Tallahassee, where Coach Bobby Bowden's daily afternoon naps have become a symbol for a program in slumber.

The only national headlines the Seminoles have made recently are over whether Bowden will lose credit for 14 victories because several players in those gameswere ruled ineligible by the N.C.A.A. (F.S.U. is appealing the ruling, which, if not overturned, would probably end Bowden's race with Penn State Coach JoePaterno for the most victories as a coach, a race Paterno leads by one, 383 to 382.)

The Seminoles, who once finished in the top five for 14 consecutive seasons under Bowden, have not won a B.C.S. game since that 1999 season and could takelonger than Miami to get back to the top of college football.

They have named Jimbo Fisher coach-designate when Bowden retires, and if he has the acumen and guile to turn around the program, he has not shown it yet.

The person who has benefited most from two of the state's so-called Big Three falling off their axis is Meyer. He has not lost to either of them, andFlorida's ascension to the top program in college football is directly proportional to the precipitous fall of Miami and Florida State.

"No one is going to dominate anymore like Alabama ran the '60s and we ran the '80s," Sapp said. "But Urban Meyer has the closest thingyou can get to it right now. He's got a factory going right now. They're a pretty scary team."

It will not stay this way forever. There is too much local talent and tradition for Miami and Florida State to stay enveloped in mediocrity. But when collegefootball kicks off there will be more focus on Boise State, where the field is indeed blue, like the feeling in Coral Gables and Tallahassee.

Clements gave the silent....shouldn't be too hard to figure where he's headed.
Sep. 3

Eduardo Clements, RB

Miami, FL

Booker T. Washington H.S.

Scouts Grade: 80

Position Rank: 12

Eduardo Clements has made decision, won't announce yet

Four-star running back Eduardo Clements (Miami/Booker T. Washington) has decided where he'll play college football but isn't ready to make a public announcement, ESPN affiliate Web site InsideTheU.com reports.

His current top four includes, Miami-FL, Georgia, Tennessee and South Florida.

"I have already made my decision with me and my family as far as where I am going to be going, but nobody will know until signing day," Clements said. "I have made my decision and I will keep that with my family. I don't want the hassle of recruiting going into the season. I have let the school know that I will be coming."

Clements discussed the coaching staff of his selection, "They are very down to Earth and they are all about the kids. There are some coaches that are just about winning, but these coaches are about school first and the way they talk to me, it is different. There were guys who play the position I play and they took me away and talked to me about what it is like. I know I will need that type of support my freshman year."

Originally Posted by jville819

smh.gif
sick.gif

yea he like 250+ total yards against yall ....he remind me of roscoe parrish (one of my fav cane player) a lil bit
Too valuable on offense to risk him on PR/KR.

i also think janoris is better than joe. he is more fluid. and man brandon lafell ate haden up last year
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom