09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

http://Bo on Bobby Bowden SMH

roll.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

October 9, 2009
[h1]FSU recruiting taking a hit[/h1]
Gene Williams
Warchant.com Publisher

Prior to the start of the 2009 season it looked like Florida State was well on its way to putting together another outstanding recruiting class. But as with FSU's 2009 football season, the recruiting class appears to be slipping away.

Before the September 12th Jacksonville State game, the Seminoles were sitting pretty with 15 verbal commitments and were considered the outright leader for at least seven recruits ranked in the Rivals250 or higher. But within the past month, FSU's drive on the recruiting trail has hit some major speed bumps.
[table][tr][td]
816164.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gene Williams - Warchant.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeff Luc is one of several top rated recruits that FSU has lost ground for over the past few weeks.[/td] [/tr][/table]The 2010 class suffered a couple setbacks in the month of September with the decommitments of four-star offensive tackle Ed Christian and Rivals100 defensive end Corey Miller. Earlier this week, FSU commitment Tavaris Barnes told Warchant.com that he is opening up his recruitment a bit in light of recent events. But the even bigger hits have come with FSU slipping for several uncommitted prospects that were felt to be locks just a few weeks ago.

"This is a great example of why there is no such thing as locks in recruiting," Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg said. "You look at this potential Florida State class six weeks ago and I would have assumed Florida State is the team to beat for a bunch of high end kids - Jeff Luc, Christian Green, Christian Jones, Terrance Mitchell and Lamarcus Joyner. I think if signing day were today they may not get one of those guys. Things have changed from what was looking like a top five or top 10 class overall, minimum. Right now, they are losing traction with everybody and it's hard to say how far they will fall, or will they salvage this thing and get some of these guys back."

While Florida State's disappointing 2-3 start has been a contributing factor to the recent recruiting side, most believe the debate over the future of Bobby Bowden and the coaching staff have greatly accelerated FSU's recruiting nosedive. The rumored disputes among assistant coaches, which have been vehemently denied by the staff, may also be playing a role.

"I think that's more of an issue than Florida State losing to be honest with you," Newberg said of the events over the past couple weeks. "Florida State had a couple big classes back to back and it's not like they won the ACC and are in the BCS. Kids know coach Fisher is the guy in waiting and they are trying to put the necessary pieces together to get the program back to that point again. When you lose these kids can see that there's an opportunity if I go in and do what the coaches ask. But when you have instability with coaches fighting, pointing fingers and all the stuff you heard ... it just looks like the wheels are falling off. Who would want to send their kid to go play in that kind of environment until this thing is rectified?"

Tampa (Hillsborough) cornerback Terrence Mitchell is a prime example of how FSU has recently lost ground for a high end recruit. Throughout the summer the Seminoles were the clear favorite for the Rivals250 member but over the past couple weeks that has changed. Now, the hometown USF Bulls and Georgia Bulldogs are right there with FSU and could even be pulling away.

"I spoke with Earl Garcia (Tampa Hillsborough head coach) earlier today about T-Rex (Mitchell)," Newberg said. "The feeling is that Florida State, who was once the clear cut leader for Mitchell, is now battling UGA and USF. The FSU slide with Mitchell is likely from both the problems in Tallahassee and Mitchell coming off a really good visit to Athens last weekend."

Another blue chip prospect that appears to be slipping away from FSU is five-star cornerback Lamarcus Joyner. On more than one occasion over the summer, there were reports that the state's top rated cornerback was ready to make a commitment to Florida State. While he never publically pulled the trigger for the Seminoles, most recruiting experts felt it was just a matter of time before he made it official. That hasn't happened and at this point may never happen. Joyner has stayed quiet on the subject of recruiting lately so it's difficult to get a good read on what he is thinking. While some believe FSU is still in a good position, others strongly feel that Ohio State and Florida are the teams to beat for his services.

[table][tr][th=""]FSU Commitments[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Corey Miller[/td] [td]Decommitted and is now committed to Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ed Christian[/td] [td]Decommitted. Auburn is FSU's main competition.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tavaris Barnes[/td] [td]Still committed but wavering.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Recruits high on FSU's wish list[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Brandon Willis[/td] [td]Former FSU lean, but committed to Tennessee on 9/13.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Christian Jones[/td] [td]FSU leading but has not yet committed despite family connections.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Christian Green[/td] [td]Former FSU lean but Georgia and Florida are now considered leaders.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeff Luc[/td] [td]Some considered FSU the team to beat earlier in the year, but now UF is his likely leader.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Lamarcus Joyner[/td] [td]Former FSU lean or silent commitment. Ohio State and UF are now considered his leaders.*[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kenny Shaw[/td] [td]FSU still leads for his services.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Terrance Mitchell[/td] [td]Former FSU lean. Now a three-way battle between USF, FSU and UGA.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]* There are differing opinions on this.[/td] [/tr][/table]With Jimbo Fisher being named Florida State's "head coach in waiting" a couple years ago, the 43-year old coach should be taking over the football program no later than 2011. However, without a signed contract specifically documenting Fisher's future role with the team, rival coaches have used this uncertainty to undermine FSU's recruiting efforts. And the recent controversy involving the future of coaching legend Bobby Bowden hasn't helped either.

"All the kids should know that if they play for coach Bowden it's not going to be for a long period of time," Newberg said. "They've got to know it's only going to be for a year so I think it behooves the administration to come out and say something - 'Coach Bowden is done after this year and it's Jimbo Fisher' or 'we are going to give Bobby one more year' or whatever, just come out with something."

On Wednesday, Florida State president T.K. Wetherell issued a press release supporting Bobby Bowden but also reiterated that Jimbo Fisher will be the next head coach. However, Wetherell did not address any of the pending issues or offer any specifics regarding the future of the coaching staff.

With no real resolution to the pending issue of Bobby Bowden's future, and without knowing exactly when Jimbo Fisher will be named head coach or at least have to authority to made decisions that impact the defense, the uncertainty surrounding the program will likely continue.

"At some point you have to give all the keys to Jimbo Fisher," Newberg said. "He has to be able to call the shots and bring in the coaches he wants to bring in. If your coaches aren't on the same page your players aren't going to be on the same page. If your players see what's going on with the coaches what happens when these (recruits) come to the campus. What do you think they are telling these recruits? A lot of times your best recruiters are the players themselves. If you have all of this dissension I can't imagine the players being happy right now and the Christian Green's and Christian Jones' of the world are going to see this or they are going to hear about it. I think everything is just snowballing right now and out of control in terms of recruiting."

On the positive side, news recently leaked out that Florida State is working on Jimbo Fisher's head coaching contract. As soon as that contract is signed, whether it names Fisher the head coach after this season or at least gives him the ability to making hiring decisions on the staff for 2010, it will give the program some much needed stability. And when it comes to recruiting, stability on the coaching staff is essential.

smh.gif
smh.gif

If yall lose Christian Jones, yall might as well close up shop for 2010.

LJ is a Buck Eye. fuhgettaboudit.

Talk about a game that could have been worth something had circumstances been different, Okie St. vs. A&M.

A&M getting crushed last week and Okie St. losing Dez. Lots of luster lost
smh.gif

Joyner as a Browneye makes me sick. Urban better step it up and grab this kid. Do not want to see him wear those disgusting uni's.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Talk about a game that could have been worth something had circumstances been different, Okie St. vs. A&M.

A&M getting crushed last week and Okie St. losing Dez. Lots of luster lost
smh.gif
This is a make or break game for A&M this season. If we can't beat a depleted Oklahoma State team at home, I don't see us going to abowl game.

Originally Posted by gobucksBC

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

If yall lose Christian Jones, yall might as well close up shop for 2010.

LJ is a Buck Eye. fuhgettaboudit.
That's what I'm hearing.

YEEESSSSSSSSSSS. I would love that.

Who are the top receiver prospects of the 10 draft?

Who will be the best receivers next year if they stay in school?

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Still no word on Masoli
smh.gif
Costa has shown that he can move the ball...we may see if he can do that for a whole game though...
I'm just hoping that the Ducks don't have a "Our starting QB is hurt" meltdown
smh.gif

2011 RB from Dr Phillips in FLA Demetrius Hart has been killing it this year. Last night he had 13 carries for 244 yds, 4 tubs and a 64 yd PR for a tub. He had370 yds total. 9 TDs his last 2 games. Can't wait to see him in a Michigan helmet. Anyone from that area know more about him? Heard he has some niceteammates that are Juniors as well.

Is something wrong with Lee Corso, why is he reading off the paper?

We would have been better off losing every game this year and starting Ryan Nassib. Paulus is horrible.

Check this out....now think of the Heisman was REALLY given to the nation's best/most dominant player....

I've been working on getting a Heisman vote this season. In fact, after watching Nebraska beat Missouri on Thursday, I e-mailed my regional director again to make sure he includes my name on the list of new voters. If I had a ballot and it was due today, I know who I would vote No. 1.

Ndamukong Suh.

Suh, a senior defensive tackle Nebraska, proved again Thursday why NFL general managers covet him more than just about anyone else in the nation. And if they think Suh is the nation's most outstanding player, why shouldn't Heisman voters, who are tasked with selecting - and I'm using the Heisman committee's words here - the nation's most outstanding player?

I touted Suh for Heisman before the season began, but after Thursday I'm even more convinced he deserves consideration. Consider Suh's night Thursday. In the first quarter, he dragged down Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert, causing a fumble. For much of the first half, Suh blew up almost every Missouri rushing attempt, and he constantly harassed Gabbert, who was limping thanks to an ankle injury suffered when Suh sacked him.

Late in the third quarter, Suh - who had dropped into coverage - barely missed grabbing the first interception of Gabbert's career. Early in the fourth, Suh finished the job. He leaped and deflected a pass, then cradled it in his paws. Few 300-pounders on the planet are athletic enough to intercept that pass.

Suh's final statline: six tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, one interception. He also disrupted almost every play Missouri ran.

For the season, Suh leads the Cornhuskers with 32 tackles. That may not sound impressive, but a defensive tackle who leads his team in tackles, drops into coverage and picks off passes is every bit as oustanding as a 4,000-yard passer or an 1,800-yard back. The problem is that the average Heisman voter doesn't understand how much a dominant defensive tackle can change a game.

Voters often counter that quarterbacks receive an inordinate amount of votes because the ball is in their hands every play. What they fail to consider is that a player like Suh affects every play in which he participates. Opposing offensive coordinators must design game plans around him. Quarterbacks must always know where he is. Offensive linemen must double-team him, lest their quarterback suffer as Gabbert did Thursday.

So, please, Heisman committee, give me a vote. I'll do exactly as you ask and select the nation's most outstanding player.

Right now, that's Ndamukong Suh.

Link

Back
Top Bottom