09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

[h2]Slow start amplifies Bowden criticism[/h2]

Comment Email Print ESPN.com news services

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said Sunday he isn't planning on quitting anytime soon.

That could leave school officials in a difficult situation.

Florida State is 2-3 for the first time since Bowden's inaugural season at the school 33 years ago, and 0-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference for the first time, prompting questions about his future at a program he transformed into a collegiate powerhouse.

[h4]ACC blog[/h4]
dinich_heather_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Heather Dinich writes about all things ACC in her conference blog.

Blog network:
College Football Nation

On Sunday, Jim Smith, the chair of the university's Board of Trustees, told the Tallahassee Democrat it's time for a change.

"My hope is frankly that we'll go ahead, and if we have to, let the world know that this year will be the end of the Bowden era," said Smith, according to the newspaper. "... I do appreciate what he's done for us, what he's done for the program, what he's done really for the state of Florida.

"But I think the record will show that the Seminole Nation has been more than patient. We have been in a decline not for a year or two or three but I think we're coming up on seven or eight. I think enough is enough."

Smith confirmed to the newspaper that Florida State president T.K. Wetherell and legal counsel Betty Steffens have been working with Bowden's successor, Jimbo Fisher, to finalize a head coaching contract.

Fisher was named head coach in waiting in 2007. Citing unnamed sources, the newspaper reported that the deal would be for at least five years.

"The president intends to announce we've negotiated a contract with coach Fisher," Smith said, according to the Democrat.

It was not clear if that deal would start next season.

After Saturday's 28-21 loss at Boston College, two Florida newspapers, including the hometown Democrat, also said Bowden should call it a career at the end of this season.

"The love and admiration we all have for Bobby doesn't put fans in the seats, money in the coffers or national championships in the trophy case," Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi wrote. "Bobby used to be able to do all those things, but clearly he cannot anymore."

Steve Ellis, the Democrat's beat writer who frequently doubles up with opinion pieces, wrote that Florida State must make a tough decision while Bowden's successor, Jimbo Fisher, calls the plays for the offense.

"It is time," Ellis wrote in Sunday's edition. "This should be Bowden's last season."

Bowden's 384 wins are three fewer than Penn State coach Joe Paterno, the career leader in victories among major college coaches. Bowden turns 80 in just over a month, and has a contract that gives him the option to return in 2010 -- but no later, or the school will have to pay Fisher a $5 million bonus.

Bowden, known for his glib, affable personality, said Sunday that he'd make the decision on his future in conjunction with the university president when the time is right.

"We are the ones who will determine what we do and what kind of progress we make," Bowden said. "I will determine my situation. I won't let some guys' speculation tell me when to move."

Thousands of Florida State fans on Internet sites share the opinion of Ellis and Bianchi, that the strange two-headed coaching arrangement isn't resulting in wins.

And Florida State's season doesn't get any easier when No. 22 Georgia Tech comes calling Saturday night, in a game that will be televised nationally. Suddenly, avoiding the Seminoles' first losing season since 1976 could become the only goal left.

"We've still got a lot of games to play," Bowden said. "We've got to stay the course and try to get better in the areas we're getting beat."

Still, Bowden realizes that another loss in the league would make it nearly impossible to get back to the ACC title game for the first time since 2005.

"You simply can't give up," he said. "I refuse to."

One of Florida State University's most powerful alums said Sunday that this should be Bobby Bowden's last season as the Seminoles' football coach.

Jim Smith, the chair of the university's Board of Trustees and a 1962 graduate of FSU, also said it is time to eliminate any doubt about Jimbo Fisher's role and responsibilities in the football program.

"My hope is frankly that we'll go ahead, and if we have to, let the world know that this year will be the end of the Bowden Era," said Smith, who has served as Secretary of State, Chief of Staff in the Governor's Office and State Attorney General. "… I do appreciate what he's done for us, what he's done for the program, what's he done really for the state of Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT

"But I think the record will show that the Seminole Nation has been more than patient. We have been in a decline not for a year or two or three but I think we're coming up on seven or eight. I think enough is enough."

Smith said the change in command should not come until after the season.
"We are dependent on the goodwill and the financial resources of thousands of people to make this program work effectively," Smith said. "And we don't have any goodwill out there right now. … People have had it.

"The Board of Trustees, and I think, the President - we can't ignore that. That's a fact."

Bowden said on Sunday he "knows in the back of his mind" when he will retire. Bowden added that it will be a decision he will make after the season, and after meeting with Wetherell.

Smith confirmed that FSU President T.K. Wetherell and legal counsel Betty Steffens have been working in recent weeks on finalizing a head coaching contract for Fisher, the offensive coordinator who was named "head coach in waiting" in 2007.

The Democrat has learned that a contract with Fisher would include a five-year term.

"The President intends to announce we've negotiated a contract with Coach Fisher," Smith said.

The board of trustees is not involved in the matters of evaluating or approving contracts of FSU athletic staff. But Smith said that it would be accurate to say the group is encouraging Wetherell to move ahead with the Bowden succession plan, or at least a new contract for Fisher. Wetherell announced his retirement in June, and the university is currently searching for his successor.

Wetherell did not return phone calls seeking comment on Sunday.

"T.K. and I have talked about this," Smith said. "The reason there is some sense of urgency is we're in the middle of this presidential search and the last thing we want to do is have a brand new president … faced with having to deal with this problem. So I think that is another reason it is moving along a little bit, and a very important reason."

That contract is expected to grant Fisher the authority to replace long-time defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews , who is expected to retire at season's end, and to make other changes on the coaching staff.

A deal for Fisher would also quash rumors that impact FSU's recruiting efforts. It was one of the reasons Wetherell came up with the succession plan in December 2007.

Smith said the focus on Fisher's head coaching contract is "driven to a great extent by some of the unfortunate comments that (Bobby's son) Terry Bowden has made in the Alabama press that we are going to magically find $5 million to pay Jimbo Fisher off so his dad can continue to coach here. … That has hurt us in recruiting and lots of other ways.

"To announce this contract I think would put an end to that kind of foolish conversation. Because we know who the head coach is going to be, and we've known that for two years and it's going to be Jimbo Fisher."

After two straight losses and a 2-3 start to the 2009 season, Fisher himself has caught some heat from fans.

"They just have to deal with the reality," Smith said. "A couple of years ago the decision was made that he would be the coach in waiting. I think that has yielded us two good recruiting years. I think if we had not done that, we would have had dismal recruiting the past two years.

"I think Jimbo Fisher is the real deal. I think he will be an excellent head coach. We made that decision a couple of years ago. I think it was a good decision there."

Without a clear succession plan for Fisher to take over, the perception of instability in the program has cast a long shadow of uncertainty that has made Florida State an easy target on the recruiting trails and has left thousands upon thousands of Seminole fans disenchanted. The fact that Fisher has not been received as the clear voice as the top assistant coach on Bowden's staff has "blurred lines of authority," Smith said.

FSU won national championships in 1993 and 1999 under Bowden, now nearly halfway through his 34th season at FSU. An unprecedented run from 1987-2000 of 14 consecutive seasons of top-five finishes and double-digit victories has been considered the standard in college football .

Since that run ended with the 2001 season, FSU has won 10 games in a season just once and has participated in a BCS Bowl just three times.

"We're not paying to support an average or mediocre program," Smith said. "We're paying for a quality program, and we're not getting that right now."

Looks like its a wrap for BB.
frown.gif
tired.gif

Im not debating whether Bowden should go, because clearly its time. what is up for debate is whether Jiimbo Fisher is worthy of the head coaching, he's gothuge shoes to fill.

what has these Alum seen from Jimbo's "Vaunted offense" that warrants him this head coaching job?

coach in waiting = mess.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Time to put the old horse out to pasture. Send BB to the glue factory.
Watch your %@!+!%% mouth.
Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Im not debating whether Bowden should go, because clearly its time. what is up for debate is whether Jimbo Fisher is worthy of the head coaching, he's got huge shoes to fill.

what has these Alum seen from Jimbo's "Vaunted offense" that warrants him this head coaching job?

coach in waiting = mess.
The HCIW mess was a rash move to stop Jimbo from bolting to the AU and the W. Va job when it became available.

Only strides we have made, offensively, is in the fact that we seem to now have a capable quarterback. Now, is that a comment on Jimbo's talent, or wereFSU's QB before just that bad.

IDK what the hell to expect. But %%%%, ALL THE COACHES/Assistants can go for all I care. Except for Coach Coley and Bob Lacivita.

HCIW is a good idea. IF AND ONLY IF, the HCIW becomes the HC in the next season. Or, when you don't have two different regimes, w/ two different ideals andmotivations on the same staff. FSU is %@!+!%% wreck. We got coaches fighting each other (like literally fist fighting, players having to break them up),recruits souring on us every day, a HC who doesn't even seem to be remotely knowlegeable on our opponents, coaches trying to make their campaign for the HCjob (even after JF was named HCIW), and worst of all the team is bickering with eachother. Offense vs Defense. %%%% is a shame.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Time to put the old horse out to pasture. Send BB to the glue factory.
Watch your %@!+!%% mouth.

Im not debating whether Bowden should go, because clearly its time. what is up for debate is whether Jimbo Fisher is worthy of the head coaching, he's got huge shoes to fill.

coach in waiting = mess.
The HCIW mess was a rash move to stop Jimbo from bolting to the AU and the W. Va job when it became available.

Only strides we have made, offensively, is in the fact that we seem to now have a capable quarterback. Now, is that a comment on Jimbo's talent, or were FSU's QB before just that bad.

IDK what the hell to expect. But %%%%, ALL THE COACHES/Assistants can go for all I care. Except for Coach Coley and Bob Lacivita.

HCIW is a good idea. IF AND ONLY IF, the HCIW becomes the HC in the next season. Or, when you don't have two different regimes, w/ two different ideals and motivations on the same staff. FSU is %@!+!%% wreck. We got coaches fighting each other (like literally fist fighting, players having to break them up), recruits souring on us every day, a HC who doesn't even seem to be remotely knowlegeable on our opponents, coaches trying to make their campaign for the HC job (even after JF was named HCIW), and worst of all the team is bickering with eachother. Offense vs Defense. %%%% is a shame.
This

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Scraping the bottom of the Pac-10 and WAC doesn't make you a top 20 team. And Pac-10 the 2nd best conference?? Maybe if we kicked the entire state of Washington out. Stanford has OSU and Arizona on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to either of these teams. If they can get past those two and beat any two of USC, Cal, and Oregon then maybe I'd consider them top 25 material. Don't get me wrong though Stanford isn't a scrub team, I just don't really think they should be ranked. The season is young they can still prove me wrong.

next year washington will contend for the pac 10 championship

LOL.

It seems that the commitment Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer standout DB Matt Elam made to the University of Florida last October is becoming less solid with each passing day.

Whether it's the fact that the Gators have already secured pledges from four other defensive backs for the class of 2010 (including nearby Ft. Lauderdale Lakes' Damar Dorsey, ranked No. 20 at the position by Rivals.com) or just a desire to play the recruiting field a little something is making Elam see the world in something other than orange-and- blue colored glasses.

That open-minded spirit now includes showing some love to one of the Gators biggest rivals, the University of Tennessee.

Reached by the Sentinel Sunday, Elam (rated the No. 13 player in the nation by Rivals.com) was beaming about his official visit to Knoxville this weekend. The trip came less than a month after he took an unofficial trip to West Virginia and left Morgantown calling the Mountaineers a real contender to sign him.

"It was great man," Elam said of Tennessee. "It impressed me how prestigious [Volunteers defensive coordinator] Monte [Kiffin] is and how active and excited he is at the age he's at."

Elam's tour guide around the Vols' campus was junior All-American DB Eric Berry. Elam said he saw a lot of himself in Berry, who he described as a "very cool guy that is all about fun."

Elam said he doesn't have plans to officially pull his commitment from the Gators, but said the large number of defensive backs entering the program does give him some pause since he wants to play early.

"I don't understand why they're doing that," Elam said. "That's really pushing me away." ...

Elam said he will make his decision by late November, or the first week of December, at the latest, with plans to graduate and be an early college enrollee this spring.

"We'll see what happens," Elam said. "I don't have plans to [de-commit], but I'm trying to keep an open mind when I visit these schools."

Stanford has been on the comeup for a few seasons uner Harbaugh, should be no shocker.

Nick Saban, that man keeps his teams ready to play... Ole Miss will get murdered

Auburn will get knocked off their high horse this weekend, but Gus is doing a hell of a job
pimp.gif

Elam is gone. Myer gonna have those come to Jesus talks like he had with Can't Reid last year.

The writing is on the wall......Elam ends up @ UT wearing # 14 next year :
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by gatorb807

Elam is gone. Myer gonna have those come to Jesus talks like he had with Can't Reid last year.

The writing is on the wall......Elam ends up @ UT wearing # 14 next year :
nerd.gif
14's goin up in the rafters. no one will wear that ever again.

Dietrich Riley's bout to come on board
pimp.gif

Dre, Did u see Jazz King scorchin those STA DBs tho?
he did all them boys in

Payne Joyner and Riggs ... [half man half amazin] You GOT IT! [/half man half amazin]

*edit
I just looked up Jazz King on Rivals and he's a 2**???
eek.gif
stop it!
anyone with a scout account, what is Jazz King ranked as ?

not saying stanford should be ranked. but they are a solid team that i wouldnt be surprised ended up being ranked at seasons end. it is too early to tell onstanford but ive been impressed with their offense. their oline is top 3 in the conference, gerhardt is a workhorse, and luck will be the 2nd best qb in thepac in the next couple of years.

Dre, Did u see Jazz King scorchin those STA DBs tho?
he did all them boys in

Payne Joyner and Riggs ... [half man half amazin] You GOT IT! [/half man half amazin]

*edit
I just looked up Jazz King on Rivals and he's a 2**???
eek.gif
stop it!
anyone with a scout account, what is Jazz King ranked as ?
Jazz King def got busy. He was breaking tackles like a RB
smh.gif
smh.gif

Made LJ miss that tackle on that screen he took in for a TD. Broke like 5 tackles on that last TD.

And all them Byrnes WR's was giving it to Cody Riggs [Lionel Ritchie] All night loooonnngggg (all night!) [/Lionel Ritchie]

They ain't really go after Payne like that tho
nerd.gif

Dunno how Jazz is a 2* He been getting busy since last year. Him and Jones.

And James White is a great back. I dunno why none of the Big 3 are going after him hard. Everytime I've seen him, he's been impressive.

Let's hope this isn't all talk. Bobby finally going will at least be a step in the right direction for once.
Keep Jimbo as HC for a few years for recruiting skills and leadership, get new OC/playcaller from outside the current rigime, A Defensive Staff overhaul(maybekeep odell) and see what happens..

Originally Posted by renegade34474

get new OC/playcaller from outside the current rigime
Ehhhh, for better or worse, I'm riding w/ Coley
pimp.gif
smokin.gif

I think he's going to be a big time coach in due time. I mean, dude rose in no time.

Hell, we could get rid of everybody associated w/ the football team for all I care. As long as we keep Coley and LaCivita

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Scraping the bottom of the Pac-10 and WAC doesn't make you a top 20 team. And Pac-10 the 2nd best conference?? Maybe if we kicked the entire state of Washington out. Stanford has OSU and Arizona on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to either of these teams. If they can get past those two and beat any two of USC, Cal, and Oregon then maybe I'd consider them top 25 material. Don't get me wrong though Stanford isn't a scrub team, I just don't really think they should be ranked. The season is young they can still prove me wrong.

LOL.

i go to university of oregon and im saying this. jake locker will $#*@ on masoli any time, anywhere. next year sarkisian is about to bring in his first fullrecruiting class, and the rest of the pac is about to be in trouble.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

LOL.

i go to university of oregon and im saying this. jake locker will $#*@ on masoli any time, anywhere. next year sarkisian is about to bring in his first full recruiting class, and the rest of the pac is about to be in trouble.

Yes, everyone in this thread knows Jake Locker is easily the 2nd best QB in the nation and will *%!# on Masoli (whatever the #%!@ that means).

You act like after ONE recruiting class a team is going to contend. Not gonna happen, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom