09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Nah, I aint forget about Bad Chad,
Chad did some avoiding of his own. and Imma a huge fan. He sure wasnt in a rush to give Glenn Johnson that re-match

Because he knows there's no way he's losing to Starvin Tarver
laugh.gif

I read this earlier and had to ask you Jay, you think if Paul is matched up with either Abraham or Pavlik that he would be favored?

Dan Rafael had a whole paragraph about how he'd be favored against anyone from 147 to 160 and even most at 168 I thought that was a little too much.

Yall boyz are leavin out Chad Dawson? He's really avoided. B-Hop is my favorite fighter, but he is even dodging Chad.
He's not a top 5 fighter...YET.

His most impressive win thus far has prob been Tarver, or even Adamek. I actually thought Glen Johnson won that fight...

frown.gif

all signs point to the GOAT hanging it up today, should of done it after the Floyd fight

A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: 10 pivotal victories in Oscar De La Hoya's career. "The Golden Boy" has called anews conference for Tuesday to announce whether he will fight again.

1. Fernando Vargas (KO 11, 2002): His most-satisfying victory.
2. Ike Quartey (SD 12, 1999): Proved his mettle in an entertaining slugfest.
3. Julio Cesar Chavez I (TKO 4, 1996): Torch was passed from one generation to the next.
4. Rafael Ruelas (KO 2, 1995): Became a star on the biggest stage.
5. Pernell Whitaker (UD 12, 1997: Found a way to beat a legend.
6. Jimmi Bredahl (TKO 10, 1994): Won the first of his 10 major titles.
7. Ricardo Mayorga (KO 9, 2006): Captured his final title in dramatic victory.
8. Lamar Williams (KO 1, 1992): Had no trouble in his pro debut.
9. Steve Forbes (UD 12, 2008): Might be the final victory in his career.
10. Julio Cesar Chavez II (KO 8, 1998): Not much different from the first fight
De La Hoya was Ring Magazine's "Fighter of the Year" in 1995 and Ring Magazine's top-rated Pound for Pound fighter in the world in 1997.
De La Hoya has defeated 17 world champions and has won 10 world titles in six different weight classes.[sup][1][/sup][sup][2][/sup] He has also generated more money than any other boxer in the history of the sport.[sup][3][/sup]

De La Hoya's amateur career included 223 wins, 163 by knockout, with only 6 losses. He won the United States' only boxing gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics, a win which he dedicated to his deceased mother.[sup][4][/sup] De La Hoya founded Golden Boy Promotions, a combat sport promotional firm. He is the first American of Hispanic descent to own a national boxing promotional firm and one of the few boxers to take on promotional responsibilities while still active.[sup][5][/sup]

[table][tr][td]Olympic medal record[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Men's Boxing[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Gold[/td] [td]1992 Barcelona[/td] [td]Lightweight[/td] [/tr][/table]
  • 1989 Gold Medalist National Golden Gloves
  • 1990 Gold Medalist US National Championships
  • 1990 Gold Medalist Goodwill Games
  • 1991 Gold Medalist US National Championships
  • 1991 Gold Medalist US Olympic Festival
  • 1992 Gold Medalist World Championships Challenge
  • 1992 Gold Medalist Olympic Games[sup][19][/sup]

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Goodbye to the most over-rated boxer of our generation.

plz go sit down with that trash

paul williams called roy about a fight and he wants no part of it

shane says Floyd has turned him down once again

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Goodbye to the most over-rated boxer of our generation.

plz go sit down with that trash

paul williams called roy about a fight and he wants no part of it

shane says Floyd has turned him down once again
He may not be the most over-rated, but alot of people say De La Hoya is P4P best of this era. I have Roy Jones, Mayweather, Tito (even though helost to DLH), and Lennox ahead of Oscar P4P.

As annoying as DLH is I kind of like the guy. I mean, he called a press conference weeks in advance about his announcement but wouldn't say what for. Thenthe highlight video of himself showing his accomplishments inside and outside the ring before he gave his speech...a little too much self congratulating. Still, I kind of feel for him because I know he has a lot of pride and always seems like he's looking for approval so it was kind of sad to see him go outlike that...he wouldn't even talk to anyone for like a month after.

For those who were talking about attending Cotto-Clottey, the tickets went on sale today. Got mine - lower level, dead center
pimp.gif

word!
damn I wont be in NYC on those dates

Um def goin to darchnyan fight and hopefully Berto's fight. I dont even care about him anymore but I figure it will be entertaining

Wish the Cotto fight was in August, when I'm gonna be out in NYC.

Shoulda jumped on the $99 round trip flights to NYC from Cali. They had some recession buster deals for June/July.

I was hoping de la hoya would give chavez Jr a match. So chavez jr could try to avenge his fathers loss. but ehh, I would say he was a good fighter, he had hismoments. But at times his fights seem to be hype.

i admit, i did cheer for De La Hoya back in the day just because he was from LA. Always wanted local athletes to do well. Good that he retired though... we'll still see him around the sport because of his involvement with his promotions.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

but alot of people say De La Hoya is P4P best of this era.
who? cause i dont even say #@!$ like that
Today, Bert Sugar said on ESPN that Oscar De La Hoya was P4P best of this era.

SMH, at this Boxing "Historian"

Damn^, senility gets all of us eventually i guess...its sad thinking that could be me one day talking nonsense like that, idk how anyone can say anyonebesides Roy Jones...

But yea, there's about 5-10 boxers p4p better than De La Hoya during his time, and if it weren't for his cowardly exit (not pulling the triggeragainst Mayweather, Forbes, or Pacquiao), i would have some respect for him for at least being a top fighter whose marketability allowed him to help promotethe sport....i wouldnt have minded him KO'ing Chavez Jr and putting him in his place as a retirement fight (even w/ his dimished skills i think he would),but w/e, it's a good time to quit for him

Is Bert Sugar astill gettin a check from Ring magazine?

Im sorry but Bert Sugar needs memory loss pills. De la Pollo, best in his era.
smh.gif
No %###+* way.

with Losses in his prime to Shane, Tito, BHop.

I think he is the single most overated boxer of our day.

whats his signature win? JCC Old %%+, or the robbery of Sweet Pea. If U really look at it, he aint beat NO ONE.

Ive never seen him win a big fight. unless u consider Vargas, Quartey, macho camacho, big fights ...

I can not stress this enough,

I hate Oscar De La Hoya

Back
Top Bottom