09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

yea he may walk in at 147 but his opponent will walk in the ring at over 155 lbs

thats where the problem lies,

Floyd ain't gon balloon up too much. He's definitely gonna be fighting under 160 come fight night.

I just wonder how JMM will play it. I figure he comes in lower than the 147 limit so he can retain his speed.

I think PBF is going to be 154, while JMM is going to be 149 during the fight.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Payback: Mayweather said Marquez deserved this opportunity in part because another fighter with Mexican blood once gave him a chance.

Mayweather was 21 years old and 17-0 when Mexican-American Genaro Hernandez, one of the most-polished boxers of his time, agreed to risk his WBC junior lightweight title against the hot young prospect. It was Mayweather's first shot at a major belt, which he won when an overmatched Hernandez retired after the eighth round.

Mayweather became the first member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic team to win a world title.

"Genaro Hernandez gave me a big chance; I have to give (Marquez) a chance," he said. "And I want to say that I know Genaro is sick. I want him to know I'm here if he needs anything. We all just want him to get well."

Hernandez has been battling cancer but is in the early stages of remission.

Thats soem stand up %++@ rite there

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

yea he may walk in at 147 but his opponent will walk in the ring at over 155 lbs

thats where the problem lies,

Mayweather will not weigh 155 on fight night. Hell, he only weighed 148 on fightnight for DLH when the limit for that was 154. Plus i coulda swore i heardthat he only hit 150 for the Hatton fight.

[h1]Prospects like Rigondeaux don't come along often[/h1]

There are prospects. And then there is Guillermo Rigondeaux.

The Cuban defector, who makes his pro debut against Juan Noriega on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" this Friday in Miami, might be themost-respected amateur fighter of our time. He reportedly finished his amateur career at 243-4 and is a two-time Olympic bantamweight gold medalist, two-timeworld champion and seven-time Cuban champion.

Luis DeCubas, his advisor, called him "Pernell Whitaker with a punch."

There is a small catch: Rigondeaux hasn't fought since late in 2006, a long enough layoff to raise questions about his ability to recapture his amateurform. He's also 28, no youngster in this toughest of games.

Still, few pro debuts are more fascinating than this one.

"It will be intriguing to see if he can pick up where he left off," said ESPN2 analyst Teddy Atlas, who saw Rigondeaux fight in both the 2000 and2004 Games as a commentator. "It definitely makes for an excellent story line."

Rigondeaux made a big splash at 18 in the 2000 Sydney Games, displaying polish and poise well beyond his years. He had unusual natural gifts, includingremarkable foot and hand speed, and he knew how to use them to win fights.

He cruised to a gold medal 2000. Then he did it again four years later in Athens.

"I saw a tremendous young prospect," said Atlas, referring to the 2000 Games. "He not only stood out, he stood out on the best team in amateurboxing at the time. It would've been one thing if he stood on the American team or the English team. He stood out on a team that dominated Olympic boxing.

"And I'm including (heavyweight) Felix Savon, who was going for a third gold medal. He had so much promise."

Rigondeaux also would've been favored to win a third gold medal in 2008 but things changed dramatically.

In July 2007, preparing to compete in the Pan American Games in Brazil, Rigondeaux and teammate Erislandy Lara failed to show up for scheduled bouts andintended to defect. However, they were apprehended by Brazilian authorities and willingly returned to Cuba.

Rigondeaux and Lara's punishment: No more boxing. Lara finally escaped from the communist country through Mexico last year and Rigondeaux followed suit inFebruary. He lives in Miami and signed with Germany-based Arena Box Promotions, for which DeCubas is a representative.

The fighter reportedly left behind a wife and a son in Cuba.

"It was a hard road, no question," DeCubas said. "He went through a lot. And it took an emotional toll on him. I know that. He told me. Hereally wanted a third gold medal. He was upset about that. … And leaving his family is a very difficult thing.

"For the family to live a better life in Cuba, though, they come here and try to make it. To me, they're heroes to leave everything behind looking forfreedom to make a living. It's sad, but it's true."

Rigondeaux hasn't fought since the Nations Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan, in October 2006, meaning he will have been out of the ring for about 2½ years.

At his age, it's not difficult to imagine him picking up where he left off. However, he was away for a long time in boxing terms, he's living in a new,unfamiliar country and he'll be fighting professionals. No one knows how the transition will go.

He insisted at a news conference that he'll be ready.

"I was out of action for two years but I did my things; I kept in shape," Rigondeaux said, according to the Miami Herald. "I am a fighter, aprofessional, so (the layoff) will not affect me at all."

Noriega, a 3-2 journeyman from Danville, Ark., was selected as the sacrificial lamb for the 122-pound fight. He isn't expected to give Rigondeaux muchresistance but will help give a national television audience an idea of whether the talented Cuban is as good as he's billed.

If all goes well, if Rigondeaux is able to recreate the domination of his amateur opponents, DeCubas believes he could follow the pattern set by anothertalented defector. Yuriorkis Gamboa won an interim featherweight title two years and only 15 fights into his pro career.

"He probably won't be standing in front of Godzilla (on Friday) and maybe not even Pee Wee Herman," Atlas said. "Still, we'll get ideawhen he gets in the ring whether he has that presence, the aura these kind of guys have. You sense it. The hand speed, the placement of his punches. The way hecontrols distance. The ability to elude punches, if this guy can throw a punch.

"The real answer to those questions is down the road, though. Friday is just the beginning of that. It'll be interesting."

Michael Rosenthal's column appears Wednesday's. He

For anyone in CA how do I get tickets for this? My best friend is a huge boxing fan and his bday is coming up

'FIGHT NIGHT CLUB' DEBUTS IN JUNE

Golden Boy Promotions and AEG jointly announced a monthly boxing card called "Fight Night Club" will be launched at the Nokia Theater beginningThursday, June 11. The other dates tabbed are July 30, Aug. 27 and Sept. 24. A portion of the fights will be televised on Versus.

"This is a series we've wanted to do for a long time and with AEG, Club Nokia, Versus, and RingTV.com, we finally have the right partners to doit," said Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions.

Edit: I found another website talking about and they said tickets are between $28-60 then I go to ticketmaster and theyre around that price but you have topurchase tickets for all 4 dates.
indifferent.gif
Any help?

laugh.gif
U might have to just scalp some, thats always a good option.
Worse comes to worse, walk up and buy Tix day of the event.

SHWAP--

Idk, when your trying to watch a fight but you might want to save the date of June 27h. You get Victor Ortiz and John/Juarez 2 @ Staples
pimp.gif

I'm trying to round up some of my folks to hit that up.

Drawing power of '24/7' lives up to its name

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 | Print Entry

Although I enjoy "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars" as much as anyone, the best reality show on television, by far, is HBO's "24/7."

Besides having television's best theme music and perfect narration from Liev Schreiber (I could listen to him read the phone book), on no other show could you possibly see these priceless moments portrayed in such entertaining fashion -- and have them relate to a huge upcoming fight: Oscar De La Hoya passing gas, Floyd Mayweather Sr. making Kool-Aid and eating a taco in his car while driving, Ricky Hatton showing off his butt in a thong, Freddie Roach getting a haircut, Enzo Calzaghe borrowing a New York street musician's guitar and playing for him, Roy Jones Jr. emotionally watching the election night announcement in Times Square that Barack Obama had won the presidency, rap star 50 Cent riding a Segway through Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s mansion, and Roger Mayweather shopping for Thanksgiving groceries.

So it was great news when HBO made it official this week that it would follow the buildup to the July 18 Mayweather Jr.-Juan Manuel Marquez fight (which will be contested at a maximum weight of 144 pounds, despite some recent reports to the contrary) with a four-episode run of the Emmy award-winning series.

This will be the sixth time HBO's cameras will be embedded in the training camps for a big fight. The half-hour show -- with no commercials! -- is simply addicting.

New episodes will debut on three consecutive Saturdays (June 27 at 9:30 p.m. ET, July 4 at 9:45 p.m. and July 11 at 10 p.m.), with the finale scheduled for Friday, July 17 at 9:30 p.m. -- the day before the HBO PPV fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It will the second consecutive instance that the finale will air on a Friday, which will allow the producers to squeeze in important footage of that day's events, including what should be a raucous weigh-in.

As good as the show is, it's at its best when it features Mayweather Jr., who is coming out of a year-plus retirement for the fight and will star in the show for the third time. Love him or hate him, he makes "24/7" must-must-see TV.

"We're dealing with one of the great reality stars in television," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg told me Wednesday morning. "Floyd is compelling, and it's exciting to bring him back. [Our producers] will get that 2 a.m. wake-up call when he wants to go out jogging. You never know where you'll end up with Floyd."

(Incidentally, a lot of Fight Freaks have been asking me when tickets for the bout go on sale. The answer: Friday at 1 p.m. ET. Price points: $150, $300, $600, $750 and $1,000.)

Besides the training for the fight, watching the Mayweather family dynamics on "24/7" is fascinating. The family has some issues, to put it mildly. The relationships between Floyd Jr., uncle and trainer Roger, and father Floyd Sr. are complicated, but the show has given us a feel for them in past installments. Now that Floyd Sr. and his son are talking again, it should make this new batch of episodes even more interesting.

Other than a brief reunion before Floyd Jr. fought De La Hoya (which was also captured on "24/7"), father and son have been estranged for most of the past decade. Floyd Sr. and Roger also have a rocky relationship.

In recent weeks, Floyd Jr. and Floyd Sr. have been spending time together. They've talked and worked out, although Roger remains the head trainer. Seeing all three Mayweathers on screen together figures to produce television magic again.

Maybe this reunion will be longer-lasting than the previous one. Hopefully it will be, considering that the elder Mayweather recently divulged that he is fighting sarcoidosis, a disease that diminishes his lung capacity. As Hatton's trainer for the May 2 fight with Manny Pacquiao, Mayweather Sr. saw his ailment detailed on "Pacquiao/Hatton 24/7."

"It's clear Floyd Sr. wants to reach out to his family," Greenburg said. "He and Floyd Jr. have been spending a lot of time together, and if it continues I'm sure we'll see that in the show."

I'm also looking forward to seeing the inside of Marquez's camp and the father-son-like relationship between Marquez and longtime trainer Nacho Beristain.

Even though the personalities of Marquez and the rest of his team are not nearly as outgoing as those of Mayweather and his team, as Greenburg says, "Everyone has a story to tell."

"We've started to learn about some of the odd training habits of Marquez down in Mexico," he said. "We'll be bringing an entire crew down there for what will amount to three weeks. Apparently, he's into eating strange things. He has some odd dietary habits. There will be some surprises out of his camp. He does some things that will make for dramatic television."

Although Mayweather-Marquez came a little out of the blue, Greenburg said there never was any hesitation about doing another set of "24/7" episodes.

"I don't think we'd be doing this if it wasn't Floyd and [didn't have] his impact on the medium. '24/7' began with Floyd, and he brings so much to the party. This is his venue," Greenburg said. "He's such a natural. It would almost be criminal not to do '24/7' for this fight. He's too much of a reality star. People are salivating to see this guy again on a weekly basis. And with his family, it's the boxing version of the Osbournes."

Greenburg said ratings for the show have been outstanding. By slotting episodes either before or after fights and moving episodes to Saturday nights, "we doubled our ratings from De La Hoya/Pacquiao to Pacquiao/Hatton," he said. "The show is certainly hitting its stride right now."

Which is why I can't wait for the new series to start already.

Judah Vs. Hatton...(Matthew that is) might be on the undercard of Floyd/JMM.
grin.gif

Has anybody ever actually seen the younger Hatton in action? He always seems to be on the untelevised portions of Ricky's fights.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

grin.gif

Has anybody ever actually seen the younger Hatton in action? He always seems to be on the untelevised portions of Ricky's fights.
And there is a damn good for reason that, too.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

SHWAP--

Idk, when your trying to watch a fight but you might want to save the date of June 27h. You get Victor Ortiz and John/Juarez 2 @ Staples
pimp.gif

I'm trying to round up some of my folks to hit that up.
Yeah I was thinking that but i could pay 65 bucks and be front row or pay 65 bucks and be midlevel at best at Staples. But since they haventreleased the card for the goldenboy show I think I may have to go to that HBO After Dark Fight @ Staples
pimp.gif

Edit: Just watched John/Juarez 1 and John was robbed.
indifferent.gif

Roy Jones vs Jeff Lacy

TAMPA - Last weekend, former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy said a deal for him to face Roy Jones Jr. this summer was "90 percent done." That 10-percent gap closed Wednesday as Lacy signed to fight the eight-time world champion, likely Aug. 22 at a site to be determined. Because no deal could be made with a television network, the fight will be on pay-per-view.

"It's all on ink - now they just have to ring the bell," said Lacy, of St. Petersburg. "This is great. It's my second promotion under my own banner and I get to co-promote a huge fight with me and Roy Jones. Second fight out, it can't get any better than that."

Lacy's Left Hook Promotions will co-promote the fight with Jones' Square Ring Promotions. The bout will be at the light heavyweight division limit of 175 pounds, allowing Lacy (25-2, 17 KOs) to come up from his typical super middleweight class of 168. Lacy said Jones didn't want to come down to 168.

"Styles make fights, and if you can't see yourself in the ring with any of the top guys, you need to try another sport," Lacy said. "I see that Roy Jones is a very good fight for me at this point because he's at the end of his career and he feels he still has something to prove. At the same time, I still have something to prove as well. So that makes this fight a very interesting fight."

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

grin.gif

And there is a damn good for reason that, too.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Roy Jones vs Jeff Lacy

TAMPA - Last weekend, former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy said a deal for him to face Roy Jones Jr. this summer was "90 percent done." That 10-percent gap closed Wednesday as Lacy signed to fight the eight-time world champion, likely Aug. 22 at a site to be determined. Because no deal could be made with a television network, the fight will be on pay-per-view.

"It's all on ink - now they just have to ring the bell," said Lacy, of St. Petersburg. "This is great. It's my second promotion under my own banner and I get to co-promote a huge fight with me and Roy Jones. Second fight out, it can't get any better than that."

Lacy's Left Hook Promotions will co-promote the fight with Jones' Square Ring Promotions. The bout will be at the light heavyweight division limit of 175 pounds, allowing Lacy (25-2, 17 KOs) to come up from his typical super middleweight class of 168. Lacy said Jones didn't want to come down to 168.

"Styles make fights, and if you can't see yourself in the ring with any of the top guys, you need to try another sport," Lacy said. "I see that Roy Jones is a very good fight for me at this point because he's at the end of his career and he feels he still has something to prove. At the same time, I still have something to prove as well. So that makes this fight a very interesting fight."

eyes.gif

I read that on Fightnews and I didnt even wanna comment on it.
Horrible
and they got the nerve to put it on PPV
sick.gif

I think they put it on PPV bc HBO or Showtime won't buy the fight^, lol...But I'd watch a stream of that for free, still 2 somewhat interestingfighters...

On another note...Angulo-Cintron could result in one of the most predictable, one-sided epic knockouts since Miranda vs. Banks....if any casual fans want tosee blood, destruction, and a nasty KO, they have to catch that fight...Cintron's handlers must be tired of promoting him and just want to end his careernext Saturday

Has anyone heard the sad news about Ken Buchanan?
Apparently he wants to start a comeback... at age 63.

Legend ponders ring return at 63

British boxing legend Ken Buchanan says he could make a return to the ring at the age of 63.

The former world lightweight champion, regarded by many experts as the greatest British boxer of all time, says he needs to return to make money.

"I would be the oldest professional world champion ever to make a comeback," he told 5 Live Sport.

"It wouldn't be a legal fight, it would be white-collar boxing. I've got to do it, it's the only way to make money."

The Scot, who will be 64 on 28 June, won the WBA lightweight title in 1970 and became undisputed world champion in 1971.

He says he has already been in talks with unlicenced promoters about a comeback and has been sparring with young hopefuls at the Sparta boxing club inEdinburgh.

Buchanan would have no hope of getting a licence from the British Boxing Board of Control, which regulates professional fights, but insists he would not needone.

"A lot of people will say I can't get a licence but I don't want a licence," said the Scot, who was inducted into the International BoxingHall of Fame in June 2000.
"I'd just go to the white-collar boxing people, who I was talking to. They really wanted to hold it in Scotland but I want to go down south. It'sall just talk at the moment but I won't be afraid to go through with it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8045511.stm

Back
Top Bottom