09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

On another note...Angulo-Cintron could result in one of the most predictable, one-sided epic knockouts since Miranda vs. Banks....if any casual fans want to see blood, destruction, and a nasty KO, they have to catch that fight...Cintron's handlers must be tired of promoting him and just want to end his career next Saturday

He's nothing more than a gate-keeper now along the lines of Miranda. He's just going to get matched up with up and comers from this point on I wouldimagine.

I feel a little bad for the guy though his two losses were brutal to Margarito and now you have to look back and question how valid those victories are.

Matter fact now that I think about it...Martinez, Cintron and Cotto are all undeafeated sans Margarito.

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

wow, 63?...I think the only one willing to fight him would be Joe Calzaghe

SENATOR_BARACK_OBAMA.jpg

Sad to hear though.

Vernon Forrest, who is out indefinitely with a rib injury and long overdue on a mandatory junior middleweight title defense against interim titlist Sergio Martinez, was stripped of his belt on Thursday.

In making the announcement, the WBC officially elevated Spain's Martinez to its full titleholder.

"Vernon Forrest is a three-time WBC world champion and a champion outside the ring, as well, known for his efforts in support of the children and underprivileged persons in the world," WBC president Jose Sulaiman said in a statement. "Unfortunately, Forrest has sustained an injury which is forcing him to stay away from the ring for some time."

In its ruling, the WBC said that Forrest "will be eligible to compete for the WBC championship as soon as he recovers from his injury with a 55-45 purse split against Martinez."

Who would get the 55 percent was unclear in the WBC's announcement. But Forrest's promoter, Gary Shaw, said the split would favor Forrest if that fight happens.

"I think it's a good decision because Vernon is hurt," Shaw said. "When he gets ready to fight again and assuming Sergio is still the champion, and he may not be, then Vernon would get a 55-45 split."

Forrest, 38, and Martinez, 34, were scheduled to fight Aug. 1 on Showtime. However, Forrest, who hasn't fought since regaining the belt from Sergio Mora in a September rematch, suffered the rib injury training for an April tune-up fight against Jason LeHoullier. Forrest (41-3, 29 KOs) withdrew from that fight and still hadn't recovered enough to go through with the fight against Martinez (44-1-2, 24 KOs).

Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter, has been vocal for months about Forrest not wanting to fight Martinez. He was pleased with the WBC's decision.

"Enough's enough," he said. "I think Vernon is legitimately hurt this second, but I also think he doesn't want to fight Sergio and never has wanted to fight Sergio. Vernon deserves the kind of concessions they made to him, which is when he wants the fight with Sergio he can have it. We've never had a problem fighting Vernon Forrest. That's a fight Sergio has wanted for a long time."

Now, Martinez is free to pursue another fight and DiBella said he has already received feelers. He said one came from the handlers of French contender Christophe Canclaux (39-2, 24 KOs) and one came from Cayman Islands officials, who would like to host Martinez against Cayman native Charles Whittaker (33-12-2).

DiBella added that HBO, which has televised Martinez's past two fights, is interested in Martinez against Paul Williams, who is regarded by many as the No. 1 154-pound fighter in the world.

"We'll weigh all of our options," DiBella said. "But right now I am just very happy for Sergio. He's been the de facto champion for seven months [since winning the interim belt] and now he is officially."

Martinez's mandatory challenger will be determined on May 30, when the Shaw-promoted Alfredo Angulo faces DiBella-promoted Kermit Cintron on HBO.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Vernon Forrest, who is out indefinitely with a rib injury and long overdue on a mandatory junior middleweight title defense against interim titlist Sergio Martinez, was stripped of his belt on Thursday.

In making the announcement, the WBC officially elevated Spain's Martinez to its full titleholder.

"Vernon Forrest is a three-time WBC world champion and a champion outside the ring, as well, known for his efforts in support of the children and underprivileged persons in the world," WBC president Jose Sulaiman said in a statement. "Unfortunately, Forrest has sustained an injury which is forcing him to stay away from the ring for some time."

In its ruling, the WBC said that Forrest "will be eligible to compete for the WBC championship as soon as he recovers from his injury with a 55-45 purse split against Martinez."

Who would get the 55 percent was unclear in the WBC's announcement. But Forrest's promoter, Gary Shaw, said the split would favor Forrest if that fight happens.

"I think it's a good decision because Vernon is hurt," Shaw said. "When he gets ready to fight again and assuming Sergio is still the champion, and he may not be, then Vernon would get a 55-45 split."

Forrest, 38, and Martinez, 34, were scheduled to fight Aug. 1 on Showtime. However, Forrest, who hasn't fought since regaining the belt from Sergio Mora in a September rematch, suffered the rib injury training for an April tune-up fight against Jason LeHoullier. Forrest (41-3, 29 KOs) withdrew from that fight and still hadn't recovered enough to go through with the fight against Martinez (44-1-2, 24 KOs).

Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter, has been vocal for months about Forrest not wanting to fight Martinez. He was pleased with the WBC's decision.

"Enough's enough," he said. "I think Vernon is legitimately hurt this second, but I also think he doesn't want to fight Sergio and never has wanted to fight Sergio. Vernon deserves the kind of concessions they made to him, which is when he wants the fight with Sergio he can have it. We've never had a problem fighting Vernon Forrest. That's a fight Sergio has wanted for a long time."

Now, Martinez is free to pursue another fight and DiBella said he has already received feelers. He said one came from the handlers of French contender Christophe Canclaux (39-2, 24 KOs) and one came from Cayman Islands officials, who would like to host Martinez against Cayman native Charles Whittaker (33-12-2).

DiBella added that HBO, which has televised Martinez's past two fights, is interested in Martinez against Paul Williams, who is regarded by many as the No. 1 154-pound fighter in the world.

"We'll weigh all of our options," DiBella said. "But right now I am just very happy for Sergio. He's been the de facto champion for seven months [since winning the interim belt] and now he is officially."

Martinez's mandatory challenger will be determined on May 30, when the Shaw-promoted Alfredo Angulo faces DiBella-promoted Kermit Cintron on HBO.

That fight needs to happen.

Good looks Eagle On, even though I hate Ticketmaster raping me it's all good.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Hope you round up people to go.

Purchase Summary
[table][tr][th="col"]Event/Item[/th] [th="col"]Qty[/th] [th="col"]Type[/th] [th="col"]Sec[/th] [th="col"]Row[/th] [th="col"]Seats[/th] [th="col"]Description[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""] Ortiz vs. Maidana
STAPLES Center
Los Angeles, CA
Sat, Jun 27, 2009 04:00 PM
[/th] [th=""] [table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]ADULT[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]1 - 2[/td] [/tr][/table][/th] [th=""]
Price Level 5
LOGE LEVEL 100'S
[/th] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Good looks Eagle On, even though I hate Ticketmaster raping me it's all good.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Hope you round up people to go.

Purchase Summary
[table][tr][th="col"]Event/Item[/th] [th="col"]Qty[/th] [th="col"]Type[/th] [th="col"]Sec[/th] [th="col"]Row[/th] [th="col"]Seats[/th] [th="col"]Description[/th] [/tr][tr][th=""] Ortiz vs. Maidana
STAPLES Center
Los Angeles, CA
Sat, Jun 27, 2009 04:00 PM
[/th] [th=""] [table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]ADULT[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]1 - 2[/td] [/tr][/table][/th] [th=""]
Price Level 5
LOGE LEVEL 100'S
[/th] [/tr][/table]
Thats wassup
pimp.gif

I'm trying to go because I got some ppl out in LA that I'm trying to visit. Its going to be tight tho cuz I'm going to NYC in August. Not sure howthe funds are going to look if I do both
laugh.gif

nothing official, but i read somewhere that it could end up being pretty bad for him. It said that felons who get caught with firearms in Texas usually havethe book thrown at them and aren't seen for YEARS. Kirkland might have gone and #@##@+ up his career.
smh.gif

I mean he's already spent 2 1/2 years in jail in his life for something similar...I could just imagine how long this could possibly send him away. Everytime I think about it I shake my head at this dude like what the %%$% were you thinking to do something like this? I hope for the best for him but I'm notvery optimistic...they don't play in Texas.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Mayweather out to reclaim mantle as boxing's best[/h1]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 22, 2009, 9:29 AM ET

box_g_mayweather_marquez_576.jpg

Tom Shaw/Getty Images

Let's roll: Floyd Mayweather, left, has made it clear that he's in it for the long haul.
[h3]Mayweather back for the long haul[/h3]
Love him or hate him, the mere mention of Floyd Mayweather's name elicits a strong reaction from boxing fans. His mainstream profile has also grown bigger than any other fighter's because of a run on the popular reality series "Dancing With the Stars," a heavily hyped wrestling appearance at last year's WrestleMania, not to mention starring in a ubiquitous AT&T commercial that seems to be on television every 10 seconds.

But after 17 months out the ring in a retirement virtually nobody thought would last, the former five-division champion indeed finally announced his comeback earlier this month.

On July 18 (HBO PPV) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) will face lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs), the pound-for-pound star who will jump two divisions for the fight at a maximum weight of 144 pounds, nine more than where Marquez is champion.

"I'm not overlooking Juan Manuel Marquez, and I hope he's not overlooking me," Mayweather said. "He knows I've been off awhile so he might think I'm rusty, but I'm not. I'll be ready."

When Mayweather walked away, he was on top of the sport, the universal choice as pound-for-pound king and the reigning welterweight champion. His final two fights in 2007 against Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton generated a staggering 3.4 million pay-per-view buys in the United States.

Now, Mayweather says he is back to reclaim the mantle of No. 1 that Manny Pacquiao now holds, even though, as Mayweather says, he never lost his status in the ring.

"One day, somebody may shut my mouth. As of right now, I'm the top dog," Mayweather said. "I'm the king. I'm here to stay. I left on top, came back on top. I'm here to fight and reclaim what's mine. Nobody has ever took my throne. So how am I not the king if nobody ever took my throne?"

With his impending ring return, Mayweather, who is in London with Marquez wrapping up this week's six-day, three-city, two-country media tour to promote the fight, brings an avalanche of publicity to boxing.

"He crossed over to being a mainstream star," said Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's close friend and adviser and CEO of Mayweather Promotions, which is working with Golden Boy on the fight. "He will bring more fans to the sport and overall that will uplift the sport."

Mayweather certainly injects a jolt into the sport like no other and he's more than happy to tell you all about it.

box_g_fmayweather1_200.jpg

CARL DE SOUZA/AFP/Getty Images

Floyd Mayweather and Co. believe that when it comes to the biggest fights in boxing, all roads lead through them.

"When you talk boxing, you talk Floyd Mayweather," he said. "I'm back because the sport of boxing needs Floyd Mayweather. The sport truly needs me and the fans really want me. Wherever I go, they go crazy. I'm the most controversy in the sport."

If you buy the rap, the good news for boxing is that Mayweather is back for the long haul. A source with direct knowledge of his deal with Golden Boy Promotions told ESPN.com that Mayweather's deal is for five fights.

That ought to give him ample time to face boxing's biggest names, including an eventual showdown with Pacquiao, the fight the public is already demanding. If Mayweather gets past Marquez, which he is expected to do as a 3-1 favorite against the smaller man, there are several potential megafights for him: Pacquiao, Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto among them.

So what about it, Floyd?

"The thing you got to realize about Floyd Mayweather is I don't need to call out no fighters," he said, making it clear that he thought Marquez deserved to win both of his controversial fights with Pacquiao [a draw and split decision].

Ellerbe made Mayweather's plans after Marquez a bit more clear.

"I can tell you this right now that we're gonna line all these guys up, whoever the so-called best guys are, whoever they say they, and we'll line up," he said. "Obviously, he can't fight them all in one night. But one by one, so whoever it is. He left the best, he's coming back the best. All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather."

Besides Pacquiao and Cotto, difficult bouts to make because of Mayweather's terrible relationship with Top Rank's Bob Arum, his former promoter, there is also Mosley.

"Mosley had a good win with [Antonio] Margarito," Ellerbe said. "We can't fight him right now, but he's one of the top fighters. We recognize he's one of the top fighters. He can get it too."

The time off was something Mayweather said he needed after several major fights in a row. He said he returned because he missed boxing. He also undoubtedly returned for the money, even though he doesn't want to acknowledge the millions he owes to the IRS.

"Floyd truly needed a break away from the sport and he had to realize that he missed the sport," Ellerbe said. "I think by him taking the time off and doing some other business ventures, he realized it. He's well rested."

Said Mayweather, flashing his million-dollar smile, about his return: "Somebody got to keep the sport up and running, so why not me?"
[h3]Adamek-Hopkins revisited?[/h3]
When a proposed July fight between cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek and Bernard Hopkins fizzled because vast differences in each side's expectations, it left neither fighter with anything significant on the horizon. That realization may lead to the fight being resurrected, although not for this summer.

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg told ESPN.com that the fight is back on the radar.

box_f_adamek_300.jpg

John Gichigi/Getty Images

Tomasz Adamek, right, might get a crack at Bernard Hopkins after all.

"I think it's a good fight and we've talked a little about it," he said.

If it comes back together, HBO would prefer it happen in early 2010 given an already tight budget for the rest of 2009.

When the prospect of the fight in July died a few weeks ago, it left Hopkins with nothing in the works. Adamek, meanwhile, is scheduled to fight July 10 in Newark, N.J., but without a commitment from an American broadcaster.

Showtime and Main Events talked about Adamek-Matt Godfrey, but the network elected to pass on the "ShoBox" fight on Thursday.

According to Main Events, Adamek will still fight July 10 but without U.S. television. But because there is now less money in the pot, it means a further downgrade in opponent, possibly to club fighter Bobby Gunn.

Adamek and Hopkins seem to need each other at this point to produce their biggest payday.

Adamek and Hopkins seem to need each other at this point to produce their biggest payday.
[h3]Arreola gets serious[/h3]
Cris Arreola (27-0, 24 KOs), perhaps America's top heavyweight contender, has been roundly criticized over the past year for his conditioning. After regularly weighing in the 230s for fights in 2007 and prior, he put on about 20 pounds -- and it's not muscle. He's been above 250 for his past three fights and was a flabby 255 for his last bout on April 11, when he recorded a dominant fourth-round knockout of Jameel McCline.

Despite the ease of the victory, Arreola intends to take his conditioning more seriously. This week he hired strength and conditioning coach Darryl Hudson.

box_ap_carreola1_200.jpg

AP Photo/Eric Jamison

Looks like Cris Arreola is finally taking the necessary steps to get in shape.

"It's the first time Cris has done that," said Henry Ramirez, Arreola's boxing trainer. "Everybody at the top level has a strength coach. You need one at this level. We are not going to leave any stone unturned."

There's a good chance Arreola will land a title shot against Vitali Klitschko before the end of the year and Ramirez said he wants to be ready.

"We're going to do the strength and conditioning in the morning and then boxing evening," Ramirez said. "I'll be at both. We want to get him to a legitimate, solid 240 pounds, which is where I believe he will be at his most effective."

Ramirez met Hudson, who has worked with several boxers, at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas at the fight. He was working with main event fighter Winky Wright.

"I kept running him into the elevator," Ramirez said. "I got his number. We called him last week and spoke about what we'd want to do. We're going to start working with him on Tuesday. We know we could hire everyone in the world to work with Cris, but he's the one who has to be willing to make the commitment. He told us he's willing to do it, to step it up and get in great shape."

http://a.espncdn.com/i/de...ation_cdw_header_bg.jpg) repeat-x left top; WIDTH: 100%" sizcache="3" sizset="117">

5 comments on "Mayweather out to reclaim mantle as boxing's best"

[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]
box_a_dawson_65.jpg

Dawson

• Light heavyweight titlist Chad Dawson and promoter Gary Shaw have changed their tune about giving ex-champ Glen Johnson a rematch of their all-action fight 13 months ago, which Dawson barely won. With few notable options for the second fight of his HBO deal and coming off two wins, but disappointing performances, against Antonio Tarver, Dawson's obvious next opponent is Johnson. He's also one of the few realistic opponents that a deal can be made with (unlike Bernard Hopkins or the retired Joe Calzaghe) and one of the few opponents HBO would accept. So that's why Shaw offered the fight to Johnson co-promoter Lou DiBella on Thursday evening. The first offer was "shockingly low," DiBella told ESPN.com, but a follow-up conversation with Shaw yielded an offer DiBella said was "in the ballpark. We can make this fight. We're not going to price Glen out of the fight but we're not going to be exploited. Everyone has to eat." DiBella said HBO told him it was interested in the fight for the fall.

box_fw_bradley_65.jpg

Bradley

• Junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley (24-0, 11 KOs) is close to a deal that would see him defend against former junior lightweight and junior featherweight titlist Joan Guzman on Showtime on either Aug. 1 or in September. Bradley unified belts against Kendall Holt in April, but relinquished one of them because he wasn't interested in a mandatory defense against Devon Alexander. Guzman (29-0, 17 KOs), a lightweight contender with problems making weight, would move up for the opportunity. His handlers at Sycuan Ringside Promotions told ESPN.com they are weighing the offer. The fight also needs approval from the WBO.

box_a_judah2_65.jpg

Judah

• With the promotion for the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez fight on July 18 (HBO PPV) in full swing, Golden Boy is working on the undercard. Zab Judah, who will be on the card, may face England's Matthew Hatton, the brother of onetime Mayweather victim Ricky Hatton, Golden Boy vice president Eric Gomez told ESPN.com. If it's finalized, it would help the card in England, where it is supposed to be on pay-per-view. Another fight closer to being solidified is between junior bantamweight titlist Jose "Carita" Lopez (39-7-2, 32 KOs) of Puerto Rico and 20-year-old A.J. Banal (19-1-1, 16 KOs) of the Philippines, Gomez said. It would be Lopez's first defense since claiming a vacant belt via unanimous decision against Thailand's Pramuansak Posuwan on March 28. "We're close to finalizing the fight," Gomez said. "There are a few things we still need to do, but it looks like it will happen. It's not done yet, but I'm confident we can get it done."

box_a_ndonaire_65.jpg

Donaire

• With Lopez likely headed toward a title defense against Banal on the July 18 HBO PPV card, Top Rank's desire to have flyweight titlist Nonito Donaire move up to challenge him for his belt is out the window. However, Donaire is still slated to fight on Top Rank's Aug. 22 pay-per-view card. Cameron Dunkin, Donaire's manager, told ESPN.com that possible Donaire opponents are ex-junior flyweight champ Hugo Cazares or Juan Alberto Rosas. Top Rank had talked about staging the Filipino-themed card at AT&T Park in San Francisco, but that's been scrapped because of the prohibitive costs and the fact that an NFL preseason game has been scheduled there on the date. Top Rank will shift the card, probably to Las Vegas, either at Planet Hollywood or the Hard Rock.

box_fw_diaz_65.jpg

Diaz

• Golden Boy's Gomez was in New York Wednesday to meet with HBO about Golden Boy's Aug. 22 "Boxing After Dark" card, which is being planned as a tripleheader. They talked about opponents for former lightweight titlist Juan Diaz, the headliner, but there's nothing solid yet on whom he'll fight in his first bout since being stopped by champion Juan Manuel Marquez on Feb. 28. Junior lightweight contender Robert Guerrero likely will also be on the card as long he comes out clean from an ESPN2 fight against Johnnie Edwards on June 12. The third bout could involve either super middleweight prospect Daniel Jacobs or lightweight prospect Vicente Escobedo. There had been a possibility that Diaz would fight on the Mayweather-Marquez undercard, but that idea was scrapped.

box_ap_sliakhovich1_65.jpg

Liakhovich

• Ivaylo Gotzev, who manages former heavyweight titleholders Sergei Liakhovich (23-3, 14 KOs) and Samuel Peter, told ESPN.com that the proposed heavyweight card from Primm, Nev., that would be headlined by Liakhovich facing James Toney (71-6-3, 43 KOs), will be pushed back. Originally, it was being planned for July 4, but Gotzev said it would be delayed until either Aug. 1 or Aug. 29. Peter (30-3), trying to shake off consecutive losses to Vitali Klitschko and Eddie Chambers, would fight in a televised undercard match.

box_fw_greene_65.jpg

Greene

• Junior middleweight prospect Joe Greene (20-0, 14 KOs), idle since last August, returns May 30 on the undercard of welterweight titleholder Andre Berto's defense against junior welterweight belt holder Juan Urango. Greene, 23, of New York, faces an opponent to be named in an eight-rounder, his first fight under an about-to-be-completed deal that will see Lou DiBella come on as his co-promoter along with Seminole Warriors Boxing. Greene was scheduled to face Sergio Martinez in January on HBO on the undercard of Berto's last fight against Luis Collazo but a bout with kidney stones knocked him out. "Joe is healthy now but it's been a long time he's fought, so he'll do this undercard fight and then another fight and then we expect to put him in a much bigger fight," DiBella told ESPN.com. "The 154-pound division is chock full of fights, so Joe will get an opportunity."

box_f_hopkins_65.jpg

Hopkins

• Junior welterweight contender Demetrius Hopkins (28-1-1, 11 KOs) will try to rebound from his first defeat June 27 in Atlantic City, N.J. Hopkins, 28, is slated to face Hector Munoz (18-2-1, 11 KOs) in an eight-round untelevised bout on the undercard of the Top Rank pay-per-view card headlined by junior featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Lopez against Olivier Lontchi. Hopkins, the nephew of Bernard Hopkins, suffered his first pro setback Dec. 13, dropping a split decision to then-titleholder Kendall Holt in the same ring where he'll make his comeback. "Demetrius is [in Las Vegas] training and he looks really good," manager Cameron Dunkin said. "He's been running hard every day. He's on a strength program, which he's never had before. He knows he doesn't have a lot of chances left. He knows he has to make his move."

box_a_arce01_65.jpg

Arce

• Jorge Arce (51-5-1, 39 KOs), who was hammered into an 11th-round knockout loss Feb. 7 by junior bantamweight champion Vic Darchinyan, is on the comeback trail. Arce is scheduled to fight June 20 in Juarez, Mexico. The 12-round junior bantamweight bout will be against an opponent to be named, according to Sean Gibbons of Arce co-promoter Zanfer. It may be a little late in his career, but Arce, a brawler with little defensive prowess, is now working with legendary Mexican trainer Nacho Beristain.

box_arlovski_65.jpg

Arlovski

• The pro boxing debut of former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski has been on-again, off-again. An MMA fight got in the way one time. A sore back scuttled it another time. Now, it's supposed to be on again. Arlovski, trained by Freddie Roach, is supposed to have his first boxing match June 27 in Los Angeles on the untelevised undercard of the Victor Ortiz-Marcos Maidana HBO fight, Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez told ESPN.com. There is also the possibility that he could go pro on the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez undercard on July 18. Of course, there is always the possibility that MMA could once again get in the way given that Arlovski is facing Brett Rogers in a June 6 Strikeforce match in which he is replacing injured Alistair Overeem.

box_g_valuev_65.jpg

Valuev

• Heavyweight titleholder Nikolai Valuev has gone into virtual solitude to train for his May 30 rematch against Ruslan Chagaev, who owns the only victory against Valuev. They meet May 30 in Helsinki, Finland, the first heavyweight title bout in Finnish history. Rather than train at home in St. Petersburg, Russia, Valuev is training "in the middle of nowhere," the German village of Kienbaum, 20 miles east of Berlin. "In St. Petersburg the phone would ring every two minutes," Valuev said. "Then there would be a family duties. And I could not walk on the streets without being recognized and asked for a signature. There would be no chance to work out efficiently. That is why I like Kienbaum. I can really focus here. The landscape, the birches, the lake -- it all reminds me of St. Petersburg. So I feel like being at home, at least a little bit, even though I am far away from Russia."

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_g_roach_65.jpg

Roach

"I recommend that Fraud Mayweather Jr. go to the public library and read 'The Emperor's New Clothes.' It's a fairy tale, like the one he's been spinning that he is the king." -- Freddie Roach, the trainer of pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, mocking Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s claim to being No. 1 while promoting his July 18 fight with Juan Manuel Marquez after spending the past year in retirement

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]
box_g_cotto1_65.jpg

Cotto

"It's going to be a tough fight. Clottey is a real warrior and is coming to fight and I also fight, so it should be a great fight. I have confidence that I will win this fight and prove I am still the best welterweight in the world." -- welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto, on his June 13 (HBO) showdown with Joshua Clottey.

*James Kirkland needs to talk to TI and figure out how to snitch his way out of that situation. Throwing away tens of millions. HBO looked like it waslining him up to be one of their premier fighters and he had GBP behind him. Schaeffer needs to throw some of that Swiss bank money at some lawyers.

*Zab Judah......
indifferent.gif
.....Had a spark when you started but now youjust garbage..........Would like to see him knock out Berto though......
nerd.gif

*Dawson/Johnson getting back in the ring.....
pimp.gif
....Thought the 1st fightwas fantastic....Sucks that there really isnt anyone out there for Bad Chad to fight, kind of *!%!*# weight class.

*$+%! Cristobum, '09 belongs to The Hayemaker

U got Hayemaker beatin Klitzko?

I thought he would at first, but after his publicity stunts and seein VVlad's stoneface, I dunno
laugh.gif

Gunna, my hatred for all things Klitschko blinds me from time to time but I still got visions of Corrie Sanders beating the breaks of Wlad, badly, and Sandersaint no Haye. The other thing is, the division needs someone like Haye and even Cristobum, %*%@ talkers who like swinging. Klitschkos and that boring as jab inthe face, occassional, but devastating, right hand style is boring as hell.

Was talking about it with the dude who cuts my hair this morning, every Friday that I sit in his chair it always comes back to how much we hate the Klitchskos.

Originally Posted by MrDills

I knew Floyd really didn't want to fight. I can't beleive he blew his money

I think if he's signed for 5 fights as they say, he's not 100% in it for the money. Maybe 85%
laugh.gif

James Kirkland needs to talk to TI and figure out how to snitch his way out of that situation. Throwing away tens of millions. HBO looked like it was lining him up to be one of their premier fighters and he had GBP behind him. Schaeffer needs to throw some of that Swiss bank money at some lawyers.
I'll be forever pissed if I never get to see Kirk/Angulo fight when they're both holding belts at 154.

Dawson/Johnson getting back in the ring.....
pimp.gif
....Thought the 1st fight was fantastic....Sucks that there really isnt anyone out there for Bad Chad to fight, kind of *!%!*# weight class.
IF he beats Johnson I want to see him move down to 168 and just clean that division up.

Klitschkos and that boring as jab in the face, occassional, but devastating, right hand style is boring as hell.
I got a feeling this fight Wlad is not going to be doing that. That look on his face gave me chills through the monitor. I'dhate to be David Haye on June 20th.

. Another fight closer to being solidified is between junior bantamweight titlist Jose "Carita" Lopez (39-7-2, 32 KOs) of Puerto Rico and 20-year-old A.J. Banal (19-1-1, 16 KOs) of the Philippines, Gomez said
pimp.gif
eek.gif
my boy AJ making it to ESPN's boxing news

[h1]Chat with Dan Rafael[/h1]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
rafael_dan_m.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]Welcome to The Show! On Friday, ESPN.com's boxing writer, Dan Rafael, will log on to take your questions on all the latest news and notes from inside and outside the ring.
Send your questions now and join Dan on Friday at noon ET!

Rafael Archive: Chats | Columns

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (11:59 AM ET ) Greetings, Fight Freaks! A bit of a slow weekend for boxing this week but Mayweather and Marquez have been on tour and there are plenty of fights on the horizon. The new notebook is up and the schedule is updated and there are blogs this week also. So check 'em out and let's get to it.

Stevie Columbia, SC: Where do you see Paul Williams going from here in respect to weight class and opponents?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:00 PM ET ) To me Paul Williams is a nightmare for anyone from 147 to 160 to fight. I think a fight that might make sense that would be good in the ring and crowd the No. 1 154 pounder would be Paul against Sergio Martinez, a fight that HBO is interested in. But Martinez also has other options in Europe. So I'm not sure where Williams goes unless they press for the mandatory against Dzindziruk, which would also be a very solid fight.

Carlos ( Jacksonville, Fl): Dan whats with Floyd and Brian Kenny...That stuff has to be scripted right?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:01 PM ET ) BK and Floyd have gone back and forth like that in the past. I think part of it is for real and part of it is show biz. Whatever it is, it makes for insane television. If anyone missed the interview on ESPN, please check out the link on the ESPN.com boxing page. You can watch the whole thing and it is definitely worth it as Brian owned Mayweather.

Jeff (New Orleans): DTM, Why is Tim Bradley fighting J. Guzman instead of D. Alexander? Less risk or significantly more $$$?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:02 PM ET ) I have no idea. I think Guzman is a tougher, less exciting fight than one against Alexander.

Mike (Fairfax, VA): What is going with Judah and Matthew Hatton...Is it a done deal?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:02 PM ET ) Not a done deal. They are talking and it may happen, but not a done deal as of yesterday.

Cyrus (San Francisco, CA): I was at the Ward Mrianda fight (2nd row, best seats ever), and the atmosphere was really, really great. For an area that's really not considered a fight town, everyone came out in droves to support SOG. Even thought the AT&T show is canceled, do you think the Bay Area will start getting some more fight action?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:03 PM ET ) Glad you had a good time. Ward's promoter, Dan Goossen, said he intends to return to there for another Ward fight because the turnout was so good, As long as the fans support the event, I think you'll see Ward there more often. As for other boxing events, hard to say.

Ryan (Cleveland): I disagree with Brian owning Floyd, for once I thought Floyd made a coherent argument, instead of just randomly repeating funny catchphrases.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:04 PM ET ) You mean like yammering about his advisers instead of answering a pointed and legitimate question?

Brian (DC): Buy or sell: The real reason Floyd signed Zab and got him a fight on the undercard is that he'll make a perfect sparring partner down the road for a Pacquiao fight.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:04 PM ET ) Sell. He doesn't need to put Judah on the card to get him for sparring.

Brock (UK): Dan, out of all the 24/7s HBO have showed so far, which do you think has been the best one?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:05 PM ET ) It's like trying to pick your favorite kid. They were all terrrific.

Nick (Harrisburg, PA): Dan, I love the fact that floyd is back. His interview with BK was priceless. He is the antagonist that makes the sport of boxing interesting.

Joe Petka (Philly): The Ring Magazine "state of the game" analysis listed Rulsan Chagaev as the Most avoided heavyweight. Please comment on this ridiculous choice.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:06 PM ET ) Like you said, a ridiculous choice. How do you avoid a guy who is injured year after year?

Jim (LA): What did you think of Adam Lambert performing with KISS!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:06 PM ET ) I loved it. And it was a surprise to me so I was pretty psyched.

Jackson (IA): How high up on the list of ignorant fighters is Money May...that interview with BK was ridiculous. Yeah Floyd, those guys are all losing to each other, BECAUSE THEY'RE FIGHTING EACH OTHER!! Mosley, with 5 losses, BECAUSE HE FOUGHT GUYS BIGGER, STRONGER, AND TALLER THAN HIM!! And please Floyd, 5 losses or not, Mosley's resume is CLEARLY better than yours...

Tomas(Tx): Ward completely dominated Miranda, a very good performance. Ward gonna challenge Froch next?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:07 PM ET ) No, Froch most likely won't be next. Froch is in an optional period and can do what he wants.

Rick, Marina, Ca: Im surprised that Mayweather hasn't bad mouth Marquez, he's actually shown some respect to one of his opponents.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:07 PM ET ) Floyd respects Marquez's accomplishments. There's no reason for him to run him down.

Mike (Somerville, MA): Dan, do you think Mayweather's fight with JMM puts the freshly un-retired pugilist in a lose-lose situation? If he wins, he has beaten an old fighter that Pacman has already beaten. If he loses, well that speaks for itself.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:08 PM ET ) There will be some who look at it like that. I think we have to wait to see how the fight unfolds.

Turk (DC): I know Dawson wasn't show stopping but he was fighting Tarver, a hard guy to look good against. I think people are giving him way too much heat for doing a pretty good job of ending Tarver's career. Did people expect him to KO Tarver or something?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:09 PM ET ) I don't think anyone expected a KO, but I think they did expect a little more of a dynamic performance and not one in which he was sort of on the run in the final couple of rounds of the rematch.

Miguel Indio CA [via mobile]: D$$ when are the tickets for victor Ortiz at the staples center going on sale? And how much?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:10 PM ET ) From Golden Boy's press release: Tickets for this championship doubleheader, priced at $200, $100, $75, $50 and $25, go On-Sale on Thursday, May 21st at 10:00am PT, and may be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000 or visiting www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets will be available to purchase at STAPLES Center Box Office on Friday, May 22nd at 10:00am PT.

Los, Washington DC: Does the Galaxy Warrior have anything line up for the summer?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:10 PM ET ) No.

Sal (Chicago): Is it still looking like David Diaz will make his return to the ring against the Baby Bull?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:11 PM ET ) No. I am told that Diaz wanted a bit more money than was available.

Tim (New York, NY): I don't like Mayweather (the interview with Brian Kenny further fuels that fire - especially him clapping his hands like a pre-schooler), but you have to give him credit. He gets a lot of crap about fighting smaller fighters, but early in his career he fought Castillo and Corrales with significant size disadvantages.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:12 PM ET ) Those fights were like 7-8 years ago. He claims to be the best ever. If you claim to be the best ever you fight guys in your weight class, meaning welterweight, which is a deep division with lots of star names. Yet he has somehow managed to avoid every one of them. Not hating, stating facts.

Brad (Franklin, TN): Is Forrest's injury a "Zab and the shower door" injury or is he avoiding Martinez?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:13 PM ET ) I agree with what Lou DiBella said in the story I wrote about it yesterday: I believe Vernon is legitimately hurt right now but that he never ever ever ever wanted to actually fight Martinez.

Steve San Jose, CA: Why did Golden Boy scrap Diaz on the undercard of Mayweather-Marquez? I rather see him than Judah.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:14 PM ET ) First of all it wasn't Diaz or Judah, they both would have been on. Second, maybe Diaz wanted to have a little time off after his graduation. Also, Golden Boy can go to Houston and do a nice gate there, not to mention I'm not sure what other main event HBO would have taken for the Aug. 22 date. So Diaz goes Aug. 22.

Ralph( San Juan, PR): Cintron vs Angulo, Who do you like Dan? I think Cintron is ko in 3.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:14 PM ET ) I think if Angulo makes it through the early rounds, he'll wear down Cintron and take his heart.

Brian (Brooklyn): I think that though both guys had valid points, that BK and PBF interview had one blaring point: PBF cherishes his undefeated mark and will do anything in his power to keep it, even if it means not facing the best out there.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:15 PM ET ) Exactly. Floyd is under the misguided notion that an undefeated record means more than the level of opponents you face. Does anyone rag on Muhammad Ali or Sugar Ray Leonard for having a few losses? Please.

Brian (DC): I think Floyd deserves criticism for not fighting a top welter because of all the taking he does. However, I think people overlook the fact that fighters like Cotto, Mosley and Margarito rehydrate and walk to the ring at about 160, whereas Floyd doesn't add any weight at all and fights at 147.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:16 PM ET ) The only thing that matters is they make 147 on weigh in day.

Miguel Indio CA [via mobile]: D$$ does JCC Jr have any fight in the works?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:16 PM ET ) If you checked the schedule I painstakingly update every day you would know he headlines a Top Rank PPV on July 25.

Brock (UK): Dan, whats your pick in the Jones-Lacy fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:17 PM ET ) I'll take Jones.

Tony(Tampa): Dan, Gotta eat crow for picking Miranda with a KO in 4. Ward looks solid with nice versatility and boxing skills. Miranda has regressed to a right handed brawler only with a gatekeeper status tag on his career.

Tomas(Tx): Is it just still talks between Arreola and Klitchko or is it almost a done deal?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:17 PM ET ) Totally talk at this point until Vitali resolves the situation regarding the WBC and Maskaev.

Jon (DC): In the interviews I have heard of Floyd, he is more delusional than ever. He has the audacity to claim that he isn't fighting for the money, but to give people in Vegas jobs and improve the economy. I couldn't make this stuff up.

Jose Sulaiman (MC): Mr. Rafael, we're prepared to name you Ambassador for Goodwill and Peace for all Online Chat Rooms throughout the Universe for the low price of $1 million, what say you???

Jim (LA, Ca): Why Adamek fight on july 10th is without US TV ? It supposed to be on Sho Box. It wont be ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:19 PM ET ) No, ShoBox turned it down yesterday. Read my notebook for the details.

Paul B (NY, NY): D$- Ellerbe mentioned a bunch of attratcive opponents for Floyd. Who gets you the most jazzed- Pac, Sugar or Cotto?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:20 PM ET ) The Pacquiao fight is the biggest in boxing so I want to see it. But I have also wanted to see Mayweather against Mosley since Floyd was junior lightweight champ and Mosley was lightweight champ. The Cotto fight I would view is a distant third on that list you gave me.

Isiah (Mex): Is Pacquiao-Mosley getting closer?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:22 PM ET ) Are you on drugs?

Jon (SF): Dan, the top athletes in other sports (Woods, Pujols, James) don't make it a point to say every time they get the chance they are the best. They know they are and so do the people, Kobe fanatics aside. Floyd is the only one who has to keep saying this.

Greg(Los Angeles): Who do you like in the upcoming Vic vs Agbeko fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:22 PM ET ) Not sure yet. But I love the matchup and I think it will be exciting.

Rick (Paterson): Is the Gonzalez/Marquez card being shown on US TV? Have you heard anything about how Marquez has looked? Interested to see what the trilogy may have taken out of him

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:23 PM ET ) No US TV, but it will be on Mexican TV and I'm sure if you search like I will you can find a live stream of the card.

Luke, PL: Hello Sir. Did you watch last week's cruiserweight fight between Fragomeni and Wlodarczyk? If so, what's your take on the result?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:25 PM ET ) I watched via the Internet. Good, close fight. I didn't have a big problem with a draw. Frankly, Wlody cost himself the fight by hitting Fragomeni while he was down after the second knockdown. The ref didn't rule the knockdown but also didn't take a point. So they balanced out and it cost him the fight.

Matt (Chicago): I imagine you have hung out with Floyd before, what's he like? I look at the Pacquaio article you did about a week ago where you watched the replay of the Hatton fight with him. I can't imagine two fighters being more different.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:26 PM ET ) They are very different. Mayweather can be very, very charming when he wants to be. I have been around him many times in some interesting settings and he's actually always been good to deal with even if he's big self-centered. He knows he has a role to play and he plays it to the hilt.

jamesa(ottawa): Dan "The truth" Rafael, did Arum have anything to say after you told the PPV numbers in your blog entry?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:27 PM ET ) Bob and I have spoken a few times since that article and he never said one word to me after it came out. Water under the bridge.

Sal (Chicago): "The Cotto fight I would view is a distant third" is this because of the Loss to Margs?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:27 PM ET ) No, just because the other matchups suggested are way more interesting to me.

Gerardo (Los Angeles): Dan, attending the Ortiz fight at Staples. Will it be a competitive fight for him or is he too tough? Thanks!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:28 PM ET ) Maidana is a legit, tough opponent and I would not be surprised by either guy winning. On paper, the two TV fights should be excellent.

dave (detroit): dan, have you ever seen rigondiaux fight? is he as exciting as gamboa?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:29 PM ET ) I have videos of every single one of his Olympic bouts. He's the best amateur I ever saw, period. Punches with both hands and electrifying to watch. He's more refined in his defense than Gamboa, who was Olympic teammate. I am looking forward to seeing his debut tonight on Friday Night Fights.

Eric Sf: Hey Dan, I am causal Boxing fan specifically I follow andre ward. Does he finally get his title shot in the next fight? Also how good can he be? He was dominate in his last fight in the bay area last weekend

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:31 PM ET ) Andre probably won't get a title fight in his next fight, but he is very close to one. Maybe in two fights. He has all the potential in the world to be a champion.

Joel (NY): Dan, great news about Pascal-Diaconu, I can't wait!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:32 PM ET ) Yes it is. For those who have no idea what he's talking about, it's probably the fact that the fight will be live on Versus. If you want more info on it, check out my blog from a few days ago about it.

Roger (Detriot): I Floyd has now officially turned into the 1995-1999 version of Mike Tyson, Where people who are not even boxing fans are attracted more or less to the spectacle of his events then his actually fighting, and the BK interviews are living proof of that. He?s the bad guy that everybody can?t help but wants to see. And I predict his fight with JMM does 1 million buys.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:32 PM ET ) I agree with a lot of what you said but there's no way the fight does 1 million buys.

Craig (UK): Dan, what has happened to potential Precsott Valero matchup?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:33 PM ET ) It was never for real, just Arum's hope. Prescott has options with Frank Warren and the fight cost too much to make under the budget Arum was working with.

Joe (Clovis, NM): How can you dog Flyod one second because he hasn't fought top welterweight and the next second say the best fight in boxing is for Flyod to fight Pacquiao?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:35 PM ET ) I said it's the biggest fight in boxing -- comercially. To me, if a fight can generate massive mainstream appeal I want to see it happen. That's what will happen if there is a Mayweather-Pacman fight.

Andrew (Nashville TN): Why does the WBA think its a good business idea to make us watch Valuev, Chageav, Ruiz and Holyfield in an endless round-robin tournament? Do they realize there are more than 4 boxers on the planet?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:36 PM ET ) At this point, I couldn't care less. The WBA is disgusting and the more they do this crap the easier it is for people to ignore it because it is such utter lunacy.

Jackson (IA): Marquez a bigger draw than Mosley because he has a "whole country" behind him? Does that mean he's calling out the "Bazooka" next? I mean, all of Ghana will be watching...

Brian (DC): How about Soto-Valero?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:37 PM ET ) Good fight.

Gary Burton (Beaverton, OR): Dan, have you ever suggested or instigated a matchup in talking with promoters that came to fruition the way Larry Merchant supposedly did with De La Hoya and Pacquiao?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:37 PM ET ) Sure.

Mike (Rone, NY): does Mosley fight before the end of the year?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:38 PM ET ) I sure hope so.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:44 PM ET ) Hold up - Boxing Bat Phone.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:44 PM ET ) That was Richard Schaefer calling from London. He is there and he wanted to tell me about Floyd's open workout.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:45 PM ET ) He said there were thousands of people there and they were singing "There's Only One Floyd Mayweather" and they were "Walking in a Money Wonderland."

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:45 PM ET ) It was loud too.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:45 PM ET ) And we also have some breaking news from the Boxing Bat Phone.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:46 PM ET ) Richard said the Zab Judah-Matthew Hatton fight was signed today and is a done deal for the July 18 undercard.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:46 PM ET ) And now we get back to our regularly scheduled chat.

Mike (San Diego, CA): Dan, thanks for giving us the news that is hard to find elsewhere. I searched everywhere for Mayweather-Marquez ticket info last week and you gave it to us immediately. Nice work.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:46 PM ET ) Anything for the Freaks.

Daniel (UK): Who are you picking in Berto-Urango? I think that Berto will win by UD, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of a Urango haymaker ending proceedings.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:47 PM ET ) I agree with you completely.

Joel (NY): Dan, would Jones Jr./Lacy be all boxing or boxing/MMA PPV?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:48 PM ET ) I'm not sure that has been determined yet. I would hope it would be a boxing-only PPV.

Mike (San Diego, CA): Will Judah-Matthew Hatton probably be the final undercard bout?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:49 PM ET ) That hasn't been set yet. They're still putting together the rest of the card.

Joel (NY): Dan, what will be the 4th televised fight for Latin Fury 9 on June 27th?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:51 PM ET ) Lopez-Lontchi, Montiel-Morel, Alvarado-Malignaggi and Martirosyan-Tsurkan.

Mike (Fairfax, VA): Dan, you said Floyd signed a 5 fight deal with GBP...Is he now a Golden Boy Fighter?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:51 PM ET ) Hmmmmm, let's see. Dude signed for five fights with a company. Ummm, I would say, yeah, he's with that company.

Gerardo (AZ): DANhli Lama, I got a kick out of your quote in the notebook, "Chris Arreola...has been roundly criticized over the past year for his conditioning". Haha, "ROUNDLY". I couldn't stop laughing.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:51 PM ET ) I picked my words intentionally.

C.M. (Canada): Is it just me, or do you also get a kick out of watching just how insecure and defensive Mayweather gets when Pacquiao's name and greatness are brought up?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:52 PM ET ) I get a huge kick out of it.

Tim (Lincoln): Chatting here from in a lecture at a physics conference in Charlottsville VA. Great piece this week about the Baby Bull's graduation, it's nice to see a fighter prepared for a life outside the ring.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:52 PM ET ) Agreed. Diaz should be an inspiration to a lot of young people.

Aaron (Hartford): Dan, you think Geale will beat Mundine ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:53 PM ET ) The more appropriate question: Do I care?

Tom E, Jersey City, NJ: Is there a straight answer yet on the maximum weight for the Mayweather-Marquez fight? I've read 143, 144, and that it's going to be a welterweight fight at 147. Do you think Floyd hears a cash register every time another pound is added?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:54 PM ET ) Listen to me and listen good. I don't care what you read elsewhere the weight is 144 pounds max.

Tom (Danbury,CT): I wish that Brian Kenny brought up Margarito to Floyd. I would've paid to see his reaction to that.

Shaun, Pittsburgh, PA: What ever happened to Paul Spadafora? Also, can I have your media pass for July 18th? I promise to deliver an unbiased report.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:55 PM ET ) 1. He fights again June 24. 2. No.

C.M. (Canada): Was the excellent Brian Kenny ever brought up by HBO as an option for the revamped B.A.D. commentary team before Fran Charles or Bob Papa got the job?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:55 PM ET ) Yes, but he is under contract to ESPN.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Danaconda, Happy Friday!!!! I liked the fact that Mayweather kept saying he thought Marquez beat Pacquaio. Way to put fuel in that fire!!!!!!!

Chad (LA): Is there anyway in hell that the "P4P Champ", Floyd, would ever fight Paul Williams?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:57 PM ET ) I would be stunned if that fight happened.

Bert (Minneapolis): Any word on when and where Alexander will go for the vacant belt?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:57 PM ET ) The fight ordered is Devon against Junio Witter. When and where -- TBA. I wouldn't be surprised if it found its way onto Showtime at some point.

Braindamaged2too...(Asylum): Big D, I know you're not directly responsible for the actual ESPN Boxing website but could you please ask someone who is.....to please go back to the old format??? It sucks having to pray that the article/feature you wanted to read or recheck hasn't been damned to cyber-hell. I'm sure the freaks would agree!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:00 PM ET ) Like you said, I have nothing to do with it but I am with you. I have given the new format a chance but I still can't get used to it and don't really like it.

Joe Girardi: 9 in a row Dan! Give me some props.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:00 PM ET ) Props. Now win another nine in a row.

John (Ottawa, Canada): Dan, I read on a Canadian website that a Bute-Froch unification fight is in the works for September in England to be televised by Showtime. do you have any more info on the potential stellar matchup?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:01 PM ET ) It's one of a lot of matches being discussed.

Matt (CT) : Couldn't be happier about the two revisted and likely fights mentioned in the notebook, both of which are important: Dawson vs. Johnson and Hopkins vs. Adamek...great news...

Jacob (Clovis, CA): Dantankerous: Do you see a re-match with Cotto when Margs gets reinstated? If I were Cotto, I would avoid that man like the plague. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:02 PM ET ) Down the road I could see it happening, but at this point that is mere speculation. Cotto has big things coming up and Margarcheato is banned.

JX (phoenix) [via mobile]: Hey Dan, great heads up on the Olvera street pep rally, good atmosphere! I went to grab a bite to eat as Marquez finished and 50 minutes later he was still out front signing autographs and taking photos; other athletes could take notice!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:04 PM ET ) That's really cool. Glad you had a good time. One thing about fighters that I have found is that compared to every other pro athlete, in general, they really embrace their fans and allow them to get up close.

JE Lafayette: Dan, after watching the interview with Floyd and BK, does Floyd really dislike BK that much, I mean to say BK knows "nothing" about boxing is ludicrous

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:05 PM ET ) Actually, according to Floyd, BK doesn't know nuthin about nuthin.

Eric (Allentown, PA): Dan, when you post an article do you follow the ridiculous commentary that follows from pseudo-boxing fans?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:10 PM ET ) Once in awhile. The best part is when after they've ripped me they turn on each other.

Joel (NY): Dan, looking forward to Extreme Rules June 7th?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:10 PM ET ) Of course. My favorite PPV of the year. Edge-Jeff Hardy in a ladder match for the world title will be sick!

Mike (San Diego, CA): Just got 3 tickets to Mayweather-Marquez. As usual the cheap seats were all sold out before they went on sale. Had to buy them individually at the $300 range.

Money May: BK is man of all trades a master of none! (classic)

Jackson (IA): Floyd makes his dad look like a Rhodes scholar...

Floyd Mayweather (United States): Dan, (clap)(clap) Answer the question!! (clap)(clap)

Gerardo (AZ): dirty DANcing, I noticed in you Forrest article you listed Martinez as Spanish. Isn't he Argentinian? Both?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:12 PM ET ) He was born in Argentina but has lived for years in Spain.

Rich (Philly): Dan, got my tickets for Mayweather-Marquez!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:14 PM ET ) Good job!

Chris (Kalamazoo, MI): I just now watched the Floyd-BK interview, because I can't stand Floyd's face. I think it's time Floyd grows up and acts like a man in an interview for once. He acts like a spoiled child who isn't getting his way. What a pathetic display.

t.riche nashville,tn [via mobile]: would a paquiao-mayweather fight break payperview records

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:14 PM ET ) I don't know about break the record but it would be massive, easily a million, maybe 1.5 million.

Paul(Portland, OR): DTM, went home from my high school state tennis tournament, in between matches just to come to the chat. Freak status for a young'n?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:15 PM ET ) Not bad.

Love Child: Dad, what am I up to??

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:15 PM ET ) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the Love Child. You are up to nothin'.

Drunken Brits: theres only ooooone Money Mayweather, oooone Money Mayweather, walking along, singing a song, walking in a money wonderlandddddddd

Kris (Banner Elk, NC): For what it is worth, if you "know nothing about nothing" then you must know something....

Joel (NY): Dan, is there anything on Showtime in terms of boxing this entire summer besides Vic/Agbeko?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:16 PM ET ) It's a pretty desolate schedule on Showtime this summer. No Championship Boxing card in May or June.

Ryan (Cleveland): Does BK know that if he paid 5k to the WBA he could be Master Interim Champion, any weight class of his choosing? That would shut Floyd up.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:16 PM ET ) I'll let him know.

Tommy(Detroit): Just watched the BK/Floyd interview, Floyd is so defensive it makes him look like he is looking for an excuse not to fight any of those guys you mentioned earlier.

Floyd Sr.: I don't know where my son got his bad manners from....

Matt (CT) : Any idea if Larry Merchant will be working the Floyd/Marquez fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:18 PM ET ) Yes, Larry is doing Mayweather as well as Klitschko-Haye. Max will be doing Cotto-Clottey and the BAD cards.

Jorge (san diego): Dan, i have to give that interview to BK in a split decision, May did bring up interesting points with Castillo and Hatton

t.riche nashville,tn [via mobile]: last question Dan who actually holds the recors for ppv sales

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:19 PM ET ) Oscar.

Rich(VT): Any updates on Kirkland?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:20 PM ET ) In the can.

Jim Jones (Jonestown): Even I wouldn't advise anyone to drink the Mayweather Kool-Aid.

Eric (North Hollywood): Dan, Thanks for posting the Tix info for the Ortiz-Maidana fight. Already got my tix! Anybody else being discussed for the undercard?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:21 PM ET ) John-Juarez 2 is set for the undercard.

Mikkel Kessler: My promoters don't know nuthin about nuthin

Malignaggi: Hey Floyd, I like the way you say my name...

Rob (Halifax, Canada): Can we get your take on how HBO budgets work. If you last PPV does $50 million dollars, how do they have a "tight budget" for other fights i.e. Dawson-Johnson

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:22 PM ET ) Because you are under the wrong notion that HBO makes a gazillion on the PPVs. They make a percentage of the sales, usually about 7 percent or so. And that money doesn't necessarily go directly into the boxing budget. Half of the gross of a PPV goes to the cable and dish operators. HBO gets is small cut. The promoters get the rest to pay out to the fighters and take their slice and pay the expenses.

Brian (DC): More entertaining interview... Kenny-Floyd or Lampley-Diaz?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:23 PM ET ) No offense to my man Lampley, but BK-Floyd was legendary.

pat (NY): if marquez gets koed does that change his HOF career? does he not go in on the 1st ballot?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:23 PM ET ) JMM is a first-ballot HOFer regardless of what happens.

Juan Bronx , Ny : Dan s Rigondeaux fighting today? i know he had a court case this morning and might not be able to fight. Do you have any updates?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:24 PM ET ) According to the folks on the ESPN production side everything is fine, he's fighting.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:25 PM ET ) FYI -- the court case, to my understanding, had nothing to do with Rigondeaux doing anything bad. It supposedly related to his promotional contract.

Floyd Mayweather, Jr.: Don't disrespect me people! I majored in Logic from the prestigious Winky Wright School Of Boxing Business!

Justin (Las Vegas, NV): Judah should retire if he cant beat Matt Hatton

Mike(Charlotte): Wam bam thank you Dan.. Hey i was checking out my alternate boxing page and it broke down the sactioning orgs. The guy actually took quotes from these chats in regards to the freaks definitions of "WBC". Warning: Be Careful...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:27 PM ET ) That's hilarious! The Freaks have the power!

Chief M......EYA Clw Florida: Mr. R., I read the notebook piece on Valuev. Is his popularity very big oversees? Or is he regarded as more of a sideshow-like attraction?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:28 PM ET ) In his hometown in St. Petersburg, he's obviously a big deal.

Neil: Is that THE Oliver McCall on the schedule for this weekend?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:28 PM ET ) The one and only.

Matt (Sacramento, CA): What about that part in the BK vs PBF interview where Mayweather claims to be the biggest draw, even bigger than De La Hoya? That was pretty outrageous as well.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:28 PM ET ) Floyd is hyping himself up. We all know Oscar was the biggest draw ever.

Tom (Danbury,CT): What can we expect out of Rigondiaux tonight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:29 PM ET ) Probably a first-round knockout.

Kelsey: So you meida guys clearly hate Floyd. How will you feel when he dominates JMM and Pacman?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:29 PM ET ) I love how you fan guys put words in this media guy's mouth. I do not hate Floyd. I have the utmost respect for him and actually like the guy. That said, I also have no problem writing the truth.

Gerardo (Los Angeles): Dan, I give BK credit but he looked bad when he didn't know that Pac Man had lost before. Interview was hilarious though!!!

Frank Booth (Lumberton, NC): Dan- Worse form of torture: waterboarding or Byrd vs. Williamson?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:30 PM ET ) Byrd-Williamson.

John (San Fran): While I thought BK clearly made better points during the interview, bringing up the size of gloves he wore vs DLH and Hatton was smart by Floyd. Any idea what size gloves he'll be wearing against Marquez?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:32 PM ET ) 8 ounce.

Square Ring, Inc.: We're thinking about calling the Jones vs. Lacy PPV "Nuthin about Nuthin"

Jon (DC): Please tell me that HBO isn't going to approve Rolando Reyes for Juan Diaz? I don't care that he beat Julio Diaz, this fight is terrible. There are way better fights to make at 135. If Diaz needs a tuneup, do it off HBO.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:33 PM ET ) I do not think HBO will be doing that fight, so don't worry.

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, PBF's interview with Brian was the only time I have seen Mayweather get visibly upset?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:34 PM ET ) Then you have missed previous Mayweather interviews with BK.

Scott: Know anything about the Martin Rogan fight last weekend?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:35 PM ET ) Yes, he got stopped in a good fight. I watched it on the 'Net.

Chris Houston (TX): So when are to going to start writing the truth and give Mayweather props like when you had Hatton ranked above Mayweather for years. I'm soo glad Mayweather finally showed the blueprint on knocking Hatton out.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:35 PM ET ) Dude are you just a total idiot? I had Hatton ranked ahead of him at 140 because Hatton was THE CHAMP. Do you understand english?

Kyle (Indianapolis): Which is more time consuming, the weekend scorecard or the Friday notebook?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:36 PM ET ) Both are incredible time consuming. The notebook though is more difficult because I am juggling other things during the week also along with it.

Banishment: Chris, you are a moron extraordinaire.

Jay (LA): BK and Floyd are the new Cosell and Ali.

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, have u ever had an interview with PBF that was as hostile as his with BK?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:37 PM ET ) Not that hostile, but Floyd and I have had our moments.

Dylan (Austin, TX): A lot of posts about the BK and Mayweather interview. I think that BK could have made Mayweather walk off the set if he wanted to. BK showed a lot of restraint.

Gerardo (Los Angeles): D$$, will you be in attendance at Staples for the Ortiz fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:37 PM ET ) No, I will be in AC for the Lopez ppv card.

Banishment: FINALLY! Chris Houston, cooooommmmeeee on dowwwwwn!

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (???): The media thinks it was waterboarding that made me talk. I am here to tell you it was Byrd-Williamson following by a John Ruiz, Smoke Gainer and Fres Oquendo marathon.

Chris (Kalamazoo,MI): Dan, I want to thank you for your divisional rankings. Mr. Iole at Yahoo declared that the divisional rankings weren't worth the time because of other stories that appeal to more people than just the hardcore fans. I guess he must mean his piece on Paulie Malignaggi being used on the Punch-Out game. Thanks for giving us what we want to read. It's why you are King of the Freaks.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:39 PM ET ) From what I understand the rankings are a pretty popular part of our boxing page. I've been doing them for years.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): I actually thought it was cool that Floyd mentioned your name and your ESPN Page, talking about how he kept reading that you were saying that he was making a comeback. You made Floyd un-retire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:40 PM ET ) LOL. I didn't see the interview live but caught on our boxing page and was surprised to hear that. Glad my man Money is reading and watching ESPN.

Nancy Pelosi: I don't know anything about forced viewings of Briggs-Liakhovich

richard (oxford): hey dan, just watching floyd doing an open workout in london live on sky sports. He still looks so good one the pads with roger, and is joking around with all the fans in the gym. Wish I was there!

Houston, TX: When will the media give Money Mayweather the credit he's earned instead of waiting for his first loss, to try and destroy him.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:42 PM ET ) Blah, blah, blah.

C.M. (Canada): Did you hear about Floyd's hit-list? Apparently he wants Calderon, Darchinian, Viloria, and Donaire!

Brandon (Chula Vista CA): Daniel-Son, I was at the LA press confrence and for PBF/ JMM and have watched all PBF's interviews for the upcoming fight. His demeanor seems to be much more toned down then in the past. Is this fight really about adding to his legacy or for money to help out his financial situation?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:43 PM ET ) What do you think?

Pete (NYC): So, I'm dropping off a prescription yesterday at my local pharmacy, and I think, gosh that pharmacist in the back looks familiar. I look at the name tag and sure enough it says "HAROLD LEDERMAN." I can confirm he's a lot more subdued at his day job. Who better to fill a prescription for a true fight freak. I actually have to go pick it up now.

Randy (Cincinnati, OH): Dan, have you heard anything about a Gary Shaw reality show?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:45 PM ET ) Yes, he's trying to sell it. They've made a trailer that is hilarious. It's called "Blood, Sweat and Bling."

dave (detroit): brian kenny voiced all the frustrations boxing fans have with mayweather, and did it well.

Mike (Glen Ellyn, IL): Brian Kenney did a great job with Floyd. He called out the BS and kept quiet while Floyd dug himself a hole.

Chris (Manchester): I enjoyed watching Daniel Jacobs on the Pac-Man/Hatton card. Any chance that he steps up against a big time guy next outing (Enrique Ornelas, David Lopez, etc)

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:46 PM ET ) Daniel might be back on Aug. 22 as part of an HBO tripleheader. If he is on that card, I would imagine we will see him step up his competition.

joe (NYC): what did you think of Kevin Johnson's performance on Friday? Do you think he proved himself worthy of being considered one of the top up and coming heavyweights?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:47 PM ET ) I totally agree. Kevin showed an entertaining style for once and beat a guy with great amateur credentials and an undefeated pro record.

John (Grand Rapids, Mi): Dan, I'm a big Floyd guy, but tell that "master of the media" to stop clapping into the freaking mic. Bush league.

Tommy(Detroit): True or False: Floyd fights a true welter in his prime in 09'?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:49 PM ET ) I doubt it.

Mike (Glen Ellyn, IL): Dan, to follow up on Chris... I've read your rankings since your USAtoday days and its one of the biggest reasons I follow boxing. Keep it up.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:50 PM ET ) Thanks.

Tim (New York, NY): Mayweather was interviewed by a Sportscenter anchor and said "I don't fight for bragging rights, I fight for checks." In your opinion, is this the only reason he fights now?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:50 PM ET ) Mostly.

Cory R (Fargo, ND): So Chad Dawson won't be fighting Tavoris Cloud in his next fight? Haha!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:50 PM ET ) Most likely, no.

steve (davenport, ia): Get BK here no one cares about you today.

Bruce: Alexandria: Harold Lederman: "The rules for this prescription are as follows. There's no 3 re-fill rule....... Doc!"

Rich (Evanston, IL): Your quote "DeLaHoya was the biggest draw ever" Really? Even more than prime Tyson???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:51 PM ET ) Based on the numbers, yes.

Matt (portland, OR): Dan does boxing hate the Hatton family? First I gotta watch Ricky get crushed, now I'm going to watch his brother get smoked by Judah? I feel sorry for his parents.

Silder, Houston TX: Dan, don't you think that the press is being too hard on floyd? The man has proven himself in the ring and has come back to fight the biggest names!! Shouldn't that be enough to get the press off his back?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:52 PM ET ) If he was fighting the biggest names, he would be fighting Manny or Mosley.

Allen (Boston): Dan: I will ask again, why not a Sugar Shane / Paul Williams fight? We have two guys that nobody wants to fight that I am guessing would be glad to fight each other.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:54 PM ET ) Shane didn't seem very interested in that fight next when I spoke to him about it specifically in Vegas a few weeks ago. He didn't dismiss it but wanted a big fight next. There's no reason Mosley needs to mess with Williams at this point coming off the win over Margarito when you have Mayweather and Pacquiao and Cotto out there for possible fall fights.

William (Boston): Brian Kenny is the man! He didn't back down. He challenged Floyd on every ridiculous statement. THAT is journalism!

Jon (DC): Dan, next time you speak with the HBO guys, tell them thank you for forcing Dawson to fight Johnson.

mike costa rica: Dan, that june 27 ppv card in ac is not a bad card at all. like it alot

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:57 PM ET ) I also like it.

Slick, Philly: Dan, should Clottey beat Cotto (which would not be a big upset) any chance of Manny fighting him??

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:58 PM ET ) I'd be a bit surprised. But you never know. Incidentally, Top Rank announced moments ago that it has already sold more than 12,000 tickets for the Cotto-Clottey fight at MSG.

JL (San Diego, CA): I think with Gary Shaw changing his mind to go ahead on the Dawson-Johnson rematch, you (and the rest of the boxing press) deserve a pat on the back for shaming Dawson and Shaw into this fight. The power of the boxing press at work, yeah?

Mike (NY): Dan is there any news at all on DK stable? Santos, Alexander, Johnson anybody...anything?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:00 PM ET ) Other than the July Showtime card, nothing is up.

Jesus (Yonkers, NY): Dan, I went to Quiznos, made the line, had lunch and read the paper and you are still here.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:00 PM ET ) And this surprises you why?

Tom E, Jersey City, NJ: Is there any chance that the Iron Boy Calderon fight on the Cotto-Clottey undercard will be televised?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:02 PM ET ) It won't be on HBO. if it shows up somewhere else after the fact, I am not sure.

Alan (Plantation, FL): Dan, would u rather see PBF-Pacquiao or PBF-Cotto?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:02 PM ET ) Pacquiao.

Bobby (New York): How did you celebrate Forrest finally getting stripped?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:03 PM ET ) I didn't celebrate. But I was glad the WBC actually did something I agreed with.

Bobby (Des Moines): I loathe Floyd Mayweather, but I'll give him this, he's got the best pair of nicknames in boxing history. I thought pretty boy floyd was good, but Money May is freaking priceless. Glad he's back, its like hating the Lakers all over again.

WBA: We would've made Forrest our Champion Emeritus in Recess

Luis (Elk Grove Village, IL): Hey Dan, If Marquez beats Mayweather, will Pacquiao want to fight him at lightweight for an unprecedented 5th lineal title?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:05 PM ET ) If Manny and JMM fight again it won't happen at lightweight. Neither guy is going back to that division.

Philip (Las Vegas, NV): American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and now "Liev Schreiber (I could listen to him read the phone book)"... Dan, it's time to hand in your dude card.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:06 PM ET ) I'm glad you read my blog.

HBO: For the new 24/7, we're planning a scene where Brian Kenny and 50 Cent ride segways while Floyd gets his hair cut.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:08 PM ET ) OK, Freaks, thanks for the chat today. Hope you all check out the new notebook and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend! Talk to you next week. Peace.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

A source with direct knowledge of his deal with Golden Boy Promotions told ESPN.com that Mayweather's deal is for five fights.
JMM
Pacman
Mosley
Cotto
berto

line them up in that order Money May and KNOCK EM DOWN

Go down as the GOAT
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

A source with direct knowledge of his deal with Golden Boy Promotions told ESPN.com that Mayweather's deal is for five fights.
JMM
Pacman
Mosley
Cotto
berto

Go down as the GOAT
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Would be nice...but it would NEVER happen

JMM
Pacman
Mosley
Cotto
berto

Go down as the GOAT
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Lulz.

Back
Top Bottom