🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

Ehh, I don't think Drake is a full fledged pop star.

I think he's a rapper with pop star appeal. It's not like he's putting out LP's w no raps on it. Pop style, Child's play, Hype, 9, Views, U with Me, Weston Road Flows, Still Here, Grammy's, 4PM in Calabasas, all are pure rap records. That's like half of his entire album. Because he's light skinned though, and is really good at making pop records, people categorize him as a pop star. 

He just put out two full fledged rap albums last year with What a time and If you're reading this. 

And counting streams isn't perfect, but it's damn sure a step in the right direction. I'm spending 5 bucks a month and can listen to chance's new album, Drake's new album, kanye's new album, over and over and over again and it not count for anything? That isn't right and shows that there was indeed a flaw in the marketplace.

Ehh, I don't think Drake is a full fledged pop star.

I think he's a pseudo-rapper with pop star appeal. It's not like he's putting out LP's w no raps on it. Pop style, Child's play, Hype, 9, Views, U with Me, Weston Road Flows, Still Here, Grammy's, 4PM in Calabasas, all are pure pseudo-rap records. That's like half of his entire album. Because he's light skinned though, and is really good at making pop records, people categorize him as a pop star. 

He just put out two full fledged pseudo-rap albums last year with What a time and If you're reading this. 
Fixed

Last edited:
After I heard bryson tiller went platinum I knew **** was different.

His album sold like 3K this week, with streams it was like 30K or some ****. It's a joke.

:wow:  really?

That's nuts. Yeah that **** is definitely a little fishy. Not that I give a **** about this sales conversation everyone is so wrapped up in but that's bizarre that a relative unknown came out the gate with a "platinum" album. That's gotta be the fastest rise from "just poppin on soundcloud" to platinum ever.

His whole situation is funny to me, I just don't get the appeal. He just appeals to the lowest common dominator from what I've seen. I'm 24, everybody my age and below been rinsing his **** and wearing them stupid dad hats every since Don't.

That RCA x Apple Music collab is real too, he was one of the first artist they tried to build that way and it worked. He was being pushed harder on there than artist that have been established for years.

There's other ones on the same plan but they're in different genres, it's crazy to me that Apple isn't considered a label.

You're 24 and you're talking about Drake being bigger than X, Cash Money, No Limit and Rocafella? How would you even know?

I knew tiller was gon be heavy cuz his music isn't degrading women :lol: it's very...positive towards women and unfortunately in RNB right now there's not many cats who make music like that. Rnb damn near sound like rap(see Chris brown) as a black rnb singer if you appreciate women in your music you pretty much have no where to go but up

Hahahahaha, this makes zero sense. There's plenty of black R&B singers that make real R&B music that isn't degrading. Ro James is a perfect example. Signed to RCA and his album did like 2K first week, got no love. Tiller is an industry plant and a ****** joke. All that rapping and singing ********.

Yea he got rap songs on his album, but when it's single time he went pop 3 times in a row. U got dudes saying hotline bling was a rap song and it was just like dipset hey ma. One dance, controlla and hotline are all pop and those are his singles so u know what crowd he was catering too. Weston wasn't a single nor was grammy's etc. That's a pop star, nothing wrong with it if u beating down the charts but don't tell me he's not one when that's exactly what he's going for.

Y'all bugging for one to say Drake woulda been this big in the 90s or even in the early 2000s and that he really sold 2 million physical copies.

Atleast when 50 was moving real units you could honestly say you knew mad people who had it and you heard it around town everywhere non stop.

This dude said cuz he lightskin :lol: :lol:

Drake does r&b, rap, pop, now he jumped on dancehall. Add that to the fact that he's got a team of writers. That's full pop star bruh or damn near close to it. Can't put him in the same group as rappers.

He just put out 2 full length rap albums.

Views is majority rap sprinkled in with dancehall, R&B, and what not. 

How can he be a "full fledged" pop artist with albums that are majority rap?

When I think of "full fledged pop stars" I think of Hunter Hayes, Justin Bieber, Cody Simpson, Plain White T's, etc. (Guys who I think are dope and listen to all the time) Drake is not them. Not close 
laugh.gif
 he's a pop star because he's "popular" but that's the extent of it. 

You can't be a "Full fledged pop star" and have an album that has like 4 or 5 out of 19 records that can be considered "pop." 

Last edited:
Yea he got rap songs on his album, but when it's single time he went pop 3 times in a row. U got dudes saying hotline bling was a rap song and it was just like dipset hey ma. One dance, controlla and hotline are all pop and those are his singles so u know what crowd he was catering too. Weston wasn't a single nor was grammy's etc. That's a pop star, nothing wrong with it if u beating down the charts but don't tell me he's not one when that's exactly what he's going for.
so in theory him and Flo Rida make the same type of music, right?

They got the same fanbase. I've never heard Drake in my barbershop being played or any barber in there talk about Drake. Ain't no grown man listening to Drake like that. He makes pop music for women and kids.

It's just something to say to discredit him.

And my main thing with streaming is...it's the same rules for everybody, not just Drake. He's obviously the most popular/listened to. To not factor that in to anything is kind of silly. To pay 10 bucks a months and listen to all the music you want has to be factored in. It's 2016. And no one person is really listening to any amount of song a on any album 1500 times, in combination. There's no album that has a combined 1500 plays over a year for me. Even albums I love. So my personal consumption really doesn't even equal 1 album sold.

I think Adele just made her album available to stream, so I wonder if Drake will be number one next week. I honesty think her *not* making her album available for streaming is more manipulative of the numbers than anything else.

They got the same fanbase. I've never heard Drake in my barbershop being played or any barber in there talk about Drake. Ain't no grown man listening to Drake like that. He makes pop music for women and kids.
Misconception which isn't really true.

Women and Kids enjoy drake's music sure, but men of all ages enjoy his music too. Your barbershop ain't the end all be all of everything lol

I've been to like three drake shows and it was a huge variety in terms of demographic.

Misconception which isn't really true.

Women and Kids enjoy drake's music sure, but men of all ages enjoy his music too. Your barbershop ain't the end all be all of everything lol

I've been to like three drake shows and it was a huge variety in terms of demographic.

Anybody who says that type of **** is just showing their bias.

Everybody listens to Drake.

You're not even being realistic right now, and I don't even care for drake

Views is not a rap period. From the intro to the dance hall songs to other R&B and pop songs. There is SOME rapping but this ain't no rap album. And plus the team of writers. He's not in the category with Cole, Kendrick, Meek etc.

I'm not even hip to how this streaming **** works cuz I don't mess with non of those sites. So they're counting streams that people don't pay for?

It's like this:

W/ streaming, like say if you have apple music or tidal, for 5 dollars a month you can essentially buy my album along with everyone else's and listen to it over and over and over again w/o actually having to purchase my album. So in a way, you kind of should and have to count streams because keeping it as strictly about sales would be such an inaccurate way to report who's listening and rocking to an album.

In all likelihood, what streams are really showing in regards to drake, is that a lot of people are listening to the album. If you don't count streams, you would have to find a way to chart just how people are listening to the music and you can't, thanks to the internet. If this was the 90's drake would still be breaking records because the one constant is that people, and A LOT of people, are listening to album. Only difference is in the 90's they would have had to buy it instead of streaming it.

Appreciate the breakdown. I think the point that other people making is there's no guarantee that all those people would go to the store and pay 11-17 dollars for the album so it's still not the same

I was reading All Eyez On an was $30 still did crazy numbers. Could Drake had done that? We don't know. It's like when people compare Kevin Hart's popularity to Eddie Murphy's. It's a totally different time.

Drake one of those ppl that won't get real credit till he retire or die.

Then people who used to hate will be coming in here or posting on social media talkin about "man I never really liked him but you gotta respect how he _____" etc. that's just how it goes

Remind me of kobe and mayweather :lol: you couldn't find a positive comment about mayweather on social media not too long ago...now dudes that used to hate him and say he ran, never fought anybody good etc. are writing paragraphs about how he was truly great :lol:

You got dudes in here that been hating drake for years but still downloading his music and listening to it(or atleast saying they are :lol: ) so they can come in here and call it trash. You even got dudes who a few months ago said all his work is trash but now are saying he fell off and his previous works are better just to say justify saying he trash now :rofl:

Then people who used to hate will be coming in here or posting on social media talkin about "man I never really liked him but you gotta respect how he _____" etc. that's just how it goes

Remind me of kobe and mayweather
laugh.gif
you couldn't find a positive comment about mayweather on social media not too long ago...now dudes that used to hate him and say he ran, never fought anybody good etc. are writing paragraphs about how he was truly great
laugh.gif

You got dudes in here that been hating drake for years but still downloading his music and listening to it(or atleast saying they are
laugh.gif
) so they can come in here and call it trash. You even got dudes who a few months ago said all his work is trash but now are saying he fell off and his previous works are better just to say justify saying he trash now
roll.gif
@Willchamberlain  this is you 100% btw

Last edited by a moderator:

Remind me of kobe and mayweather :lol: you couldn't find a positive comment about mayweather on social media not too long ago...now dudes that used to hate him and say he ran, never fought anybody good etc. are writing paragraphs about how he was truly great :lol:

You got dudes in here that been hating drake for years but still downloading his music and listening to it(or atleast saying they are :lol: ) so they can come in here and call it trash. You even got dudes who a few months ago said all his work is trash but now are saying he fell off and his previous works are better just to say justify saying he trash now :rofl:

Its bordering on the edge of psychosis.. We really gotta let ppl just double talk themselves trying to discredit the man.

I will never understand need to rewrite the rules when it comes to Drake. One day he used to be a legit MC now he makes music for suburban kids. Is Views his most fully fledged attempt at a majority pop record.. sure it is but he's literally had the same formula since 09. It must be the fact he's meddled in dancehall that has some ppl forgetting.

Y'all bugging for one to say Drake woulda been this big in the 90s or even in the early 2000s and that he really sold 2 million physical copies.

Atleast when 50 was moving real units you could honestly say you knew mad people who had it and you heard it around town everywhere non stop.

Take Care sold 2 million fam

Last edited:

Remind me of kobe and mayweather
laugh.gif
you couldn't find a positive comment about mayweather on social media not too long ago...now dudes that used to hate him and say he ran, never fought anybody good etc. are writing paragraphs about how he was truly great
laugh.gif

You got dudes in here that been hating drake for years but still downloading his music and listening to it(or atleast saying they are
laugh.gif
) so they can come in here and call it trash. You even got dudes who a few months ago said all his work is trash but now are saying he fell off and his previous works are better just to say justify saying he trash now
roll.gif
The thing I don't like about Drake is he claims to be the best rapper and is comparing himself to notable rappers. 

That's a reasonable criticism. Some ppl gonna feel that way some ppl not gonna care some ppl gonna sill say he goat, it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom