🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

as a music producer myself...  whos livelihood depends on royalty checks from said dying industry.... i disagree. when i get my first platinum track or album.... i want it to be off a million sold. not a million listens. i sell an ALBUM, then its a sale. if the album is 20 tracks long (looking at you drake) dont give me an ALBUM sale cuz 10 people bought hotline bling. that is ******ed.

and artists still sell. like i said, that year taylor was the only one who went plat in a LOOOOOOONG time. but if your fanbase deems the project good, theyll buy it. see j cole forest hills drive. see kendricks albums. they got BOUGHT. and as i said, ive never even seen a physical copy of views yet. trapsoul going plat is a crock of ****. and i liked trapsoul A LOT. and as popular as it is... the sales are 1/10th the reported numbers. how u go gold and platinum in the same month coincidentally when the streaming rules changes and u dont see nothing wrong with that lol.

u wanna know financially why going plat is stupid with streaming? cuz nobody sees money off it. the producer doesn't get big checks off going plat. foreign teck from miami made exchange. u think the $$$ he got from streaming MILLIONS of times is a fraction of what he made in the past month from exchange being all over the radio? NO. so who is benefited by these inflated numbers? the industry. it just looks and sounds like business is booming... but this is borrowed time and the ship has been sinking ever since napster

We have to be honest with the fact the industry needed to do something about piracy effecting sales. If this were 08 and prior I'm sure Tiller would of went platinum from pure sales. Your right that industry was suffering and needed to change their formula. But with the era streaming it made it that much harder for guys like him to have the opportunity of having huge sales.

I never said the industry was fair in compensating artists and producers but counting streaming and getting artists certifications does help them. Other than Big Sean and Tiller I don't even know who else got certified platinum due to the new rules. Not every rapper is gonna be certified platinum just because of streaming being included.

Last edited:
As stated before, streaming isn't perfect.

But the RIAA is taking a step in the right direction by at least trying to count how we go about listening to music. The fact of the matter is no one buys music anymore, so they had to do something.

We have to be honest with the fact that the industry needed to do something about piracy effecting sales. If this were 08 and prior I'm sure Tiller would of went platinum from pure sales. Your right that industry was suffering and needed to change their formula. But with the era streaming it made it that much harder for guys like him to have the opportunity of having huge sales.

Other than Drake, Kendrick or Cole going platinum who else from the new school could go platinum with pure sales. Having 3 or 4 guys going platinum in the most popular genre isn't good. I never said the industry was fair in compensating artists and producers but counting streaming and getting artists certifications does help them. Other than Big Sean and Tiller I don't even know who else got certified platinum due to the new rules. Not every rapper is gonna be certified platinum just because of streaming being included.
it just sets a bad precedent. lowering the bar by such a drastic amount isnt good. it means every popular artist will go platinum as long as they have an online presence. i could sell literally 0 albums, but if i can get my twitter popping for a week then ill go gold. with these rules nearly every top 40 song in the past 3 years would be certified gold or plat. by comparison, wale just went GOLD last week for his album "the gifted"..... from 2013. theyve devalued the award HEAVILY. and there is no monetary gain to ANY of the creators involved.

it just sets a bad precedent. lowering the bar by such a drastic amount isnt good. it means every popular artist will go platinum as long as they have an online presence. i could sell literally 0 albums, but if i can get my twitter popping for a week then ill go gold. with these rules nearly every top 40 song in the past 3 years would be certified gold or plat. by comparison, wale just went GOLD last week for his album "the gifted"..... from 2013. theyve devalued the award HEAVILY. and there is no monetary gain to ANY of the creators involved.
This isn't true at all 
laugh.gif

There's plenty of popular artist who still aren't going gold and platinum even with the advent of streams. 

Streams are a more adequate representation of who's listening to who. 

what they need to do is regulate streaming. these streaming services bring in millions and pay out thousands. i forgot who said it but a very famous popular artist said he only made like 44k off streaming a song millions and millions of times, but the stream host made like 6 million or something. and from radio he made like 9 million for the same song. i think it was pharrell but i cant be sure.

What I find, and it could just be me,

but the people who have benefitted from streams the most are artist who would be doing numbers if streaming and the internet wasn't around. Like there isn't anything really outlandish happening sales wise due to streaming. 

That's why counting streams hasn't been that big of a deal to me.

This isn't true at all 
laugh.gif

There's plenty of popular artist who still aren't going gold and platinum even with the advent of streams. 

Streams are a more adequate representation of who's listening to who. 
stop. here is the billboard top 10. http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

i challenge you to google the title of each song followed by the word certified. see your results. and an example for me to stand on is, fifth harmony - work from home is now certified DOUBLE PLATINUM. DOUBLE PLATINUM...... from fifih harmony.

What I find, and it could just be me,

but the people who have benefitted from streams the most are artist who would be doing numbers if streaming and the internet wasn't around. Like there isn't anything really outlandish happening sales wise due to streaming. 

That's why counting streams hasn't been that big of a deal to me.
streaming has benefited NO ONE but the streaming company itself. which is why apple music and tidal have showed up claiming to be "for the artist" like they have. if a song plays on spotify or pandora, in click and ad revenue lets say spotify made 10 cents. the artist got paid $0.0054 cents.  this in NO way helps anyone and is the conundrum everyone is facing. by comparison on the radio playing the same song would net 10 cents to the station. 4 cents goes to creators of the song to be split up however they agreed to on the contract.

stop. here is the billboard top 10. http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

i challenge you to google the title of each song followed by the word certified. see your results. and an example for me to stand on is, fifth harmony - work from home is now certified DOUBLE PLATINUM. DOUBLE PLATINUM...... from fifih harmony.
Bruh see that's what I mean...

Work from home is a HUGE record right now. HUGE. 

Terrible song to pick bro. That song would for sure be doing numbers without streaming. It's one of the biggest songs of the year so far.

In fact all those records in the top 10 are huge right now and would be doing numbers w/o streaming. Those songs are everywhere.

Last edited:

streaming has benefited NO ONE but the streaming company itself. which is why apple music and tidal have showed up claiming to be "for the artist" like they have. if a song plays on spotify or pandora, in click and ad revenue lets say spotify made 10 cents. the artist got paid $0.0054 cents.  this in NO way helps anyone and is the conundrum everyone is facing. by comparison on the radio playing the same song would net 10 cents to the station. 4 cents goes to creators of the song to be split up however they agreed to on the contract.
I'm not really referring to what the artist gets from it, i'm talking more so from sales numbers wise.

The people who are raking in gold and platinum plaques in part because of streaming would be doing numbers if streaming didn't exist.

Bruh see that's what I mean...

Work from home is a HUGE record right now. HUGE. 

Terrible song to pick bro. That song would for sure be doing numbers without streaming. It's one of the biggest songs of the year so far.
FIFTH HARMONY would be doing numbers? their last album sold 68k physical copies TOTAL....

the album that this work from home song is from ->

"In the United States, the album debuted at number 4 on the US Billboard 200, earning 74,000 equivalent album units (49,000 in pure album sales) in its first week and becoming their highest charting album to date.[sup][29][/sup] In the second and third weeks on the chart, 7/27 fell to 17 and 21, respectively.[sup][30]"[/sup][sup] "[/sup]

hmmm double platinum songs, on albums that sell less than 100k units?

Did frank ocean first album drop with the new rules?

Nah, son actually sold over 500K copies.

The new rules just switched last year. They're wack and ruining ****.

I still go to the store and buy CDs if the project is good. I gotta support good music. Streaming is cool for the consumers wallets but terrible for the quality of music we get. You're gonna hear more and more artist speak up about it.

I still go to the store and buy CDs if the project is good. I gotta support good music. Streaming is cool for the consumers wallets but terrible for the quality of music we get. You're gonna hear more and more artist speak up about it.
Dude would tripled that number with these new rules. All the hype from he had, CO signs and then the coming out thing he would for sure be double platinum by new rules. That's what I mean tho, some dudes like him never gonna get that plaque when a dude like tiller got it.

I still cop physicals too. I support the artist not Spotify etc. Look at drake tho, put out one of his worse bodies of music and "selling" more than ever, **** crazy.

Frank ocean was never as big as drake is right now, ocean never had a song as big as hotline bling

Before the new rules drake still sold more than ocean

Last edited:
I still cop physicals too. I support the artist not Spotify etc. Look at drake tho, put out one of his worse bodies of music and "selling" more than ever, **** crazy.
people still buy real music that they support. but the underlying issue is that most new music out here is not worth supporting. but thats an entirely different conversation. someone said it earlier in here, tillers music is rnb that doesnt degrade women which is actually rare now. dude isnt even a good singer. CATCHY, but his voice is nothing special at all. its just the nature of music now. everything is so trash that anything remotely good is praised like the second coming of thriller

Yea he got rap songs on his album, but when it's single time he went pop 3 times in a row. U got dudes saying hotline bling was a rap song and it was just like dipset hey ma. One dance, controlla and hotline are all pop and those are his singles so u know what crowd he was catering too. Weston wasn't a single nor was grammy's etc. That's a pop star, nothing wrong with it if u beating down the charts but don't tell me he's not one when that's exactly what he's going for.

so in theory him and Flo Rida make the same type of music, right?

For the most part, yes :lol: But unlike Pitbull and Flo-Rida, Drake makes entire albums that I can actually listen to.

Dude really said big pimpin and hard knock life was pop music just to protect drake :smh:

I flow for chicks wishin,
They ain't have to strip to pay tuition,
I see your vision mama

Pop music ??? :smh:

:lol: :rofl:

With these "new rules", I guess that would mean DMX, No Limit, Cash Money, and Diddy would each be streaming 20 million an album, with 14 millions in physical sales if Drake could go diamond in the 90s.

people still buy real music that they support. but the underlying issue is that most new music out here is not worth supporting. but thats an entirely different conversation. someone said it earlier in here, tillers music is rnb that doesnt degrade women which is actually rare now. dude isnt even a good singer. CATCHY, but his voice is nothing special at all. its just the nature of music now. everything is so trash that anything remotely good is praised like the second coming of thriller

Agreed. i actually thought Tiller's BET performance wasn't bad. Mostly because he sounds exactly like he does on the radio. Sure, he doesn't have a strong singing voice at all, and somewhat raps, but it's notable that he doesn't have a stark contrast in sound while performing vs being in the studio.

Last edited:
Agreed. i actually thought Tiller's BET performance wasn't bad. Mostly because he sounds exactly like he does on the radio. Sure, he doesn't have a strong singing voice at all, and somewhat raps, but it's notable that he doesn't have a stark contrast in sound while performing vs being in the studio.
the fact that sounding like your normally average sounding self live, is a thing to be congratulated speaks volumes lol. tiller been doing the same performances now since trapsoul dropped. not that that is a knock specifically. yea he doesnt need much studio magic, but why should he? hes not going for no notes lol. dude sang an entire album in half of an octave, you'd think we expect him to sound the same live lol.

Tiller wasn't that good live, lanez was horrible live, trash. Usher was out of breath, granted he was dancing but that's usually not like him. Beyoncé is in a league of her own. Janelle monae and Shiela e killed it.

Last edited:
Tiller wasn't that good live, lanez was horrible love. Usher was out of breath, granted he was dancing but that's usually not like him. Beyoncé is in a league of her own. Janelle monae and Shiela e killed it.
janelle and shiela killed. everything else was ho hum. beyonce did the same routine shes been doing since crazy in love. HOWEVER, a flooded stage was pretty cool to see. and usher been sitting on bieber money and celebrating the cavs win. dude aint in shape at the moment like he used to be lol

Last edited:

the fact that sounding like your normally average sounding self live, is a thing to be congratulated speaks volumes lol. tiller been doing the same performances now since trapsoul dropped. not that that is a knock specifically. yea he doesnt need much studio magic, but why should he? hes not going for no notes lol. dude sang an entire album in half of an octave, you'd think we expect him to sound the same live lol.

It's true though :lol: It really does say something

Drake a rapper man. And views is a rap album. Y'all gotta cut it out. If y'all wanna criticize him for being corny, having a ghostwriter, or whatever...that's fine. But to deny his impact and to act like he's the same as a Justin Bieber or Katy Perry is flat out false.

Drake is in the Nelly/Ja Rule lane. And all of y'all consider them ***** rappers.

Dude is also widely popular with every demographic. Do some of you dudes even go to urban clubs? Kickbacks? Colleges? I party damn near every weekend...and you guaranteed to hear some Drake songs. How many hood ***** was quoting "Started from the bottom" on their IG pics? Or talking bout "No new friends"? I know some 35-40 year old dudes from the trenches that will bump a Drake song from time to time. They aren't super fans...but if they hear a song they like...they'll bump it. Dude has all bases covered. And he just locked down the international demo.

To act like his only demographic is women and white people is a lie. And I don't even rock with him like that...but I'm not going to deny his impact.

He's at the highest success level you can get as a rapper...or artist period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom