🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

history with a handicap on. its the equivalent of breaking a record on 2k.... on rookie mode. counting streams as sales messes everything up. its a total farce to make it seem like the music industry isnt struggling by saying look this person went platinum that person went platinum everybody went platinum! when the truth is just a year or 2 ago taylor swift was the only person to go plat if i remember correctly. now all the sudden mixtapes are platinum when nobody is buying them. adele went plat legit. drake? ive never even passed by a physical copy in a store yet.
Gotcha, that's just how the music industry works! However, Drake is also one of the rare artist who actually sell millions of records (not counting streams). The way everyone streams music, you have to account for it somehow. Nobody buy albums anymore.

Take away streams, he's not breaking records. It's all ********. Congrats on selling a million copies but I think this album stalls out at two million actually sold. Just like his other albums. The streams and ****, don't impress me. I got plenty of friends that stream music that haven't bought an album since 05-06. I hate that they count that ****. Should do their streaming awards separately, it's killing the integrity of what's left.

Take away streams, he's not breaking records. It's all ********. Congrats on selling a million copies but I think this album stalls out at two million actually sold. Just like his other albums. The streams and ****, don't impress me. I got plenty of friends that stream music that haven't bought an album since 05-06. I hate that they count that ****. Should do their streaming awards separately, it's killing the integrity of what's left.
Who else is selling 2 million (actually copies?) You just flew over that like it's nothing though lol.

Some of y'all really don't get it. :lol:

People don't buy albums period anymore, calculating streaming #'s isn't an exact science but it is a way better judge of the music landscape than going by strictly sales.

It's just how the majority of people consume music and it's being dominated by Drake. Y'all act like if this wasn't the 90's Drake would be going diamond.

We seen the #'s Ja/DMX/Bad Boy/Cash Money/Hov/No Limit moved back then and Drake is more popular than all of them were.

It's stupid to get mad at streaming #'s, it's going to be new equivalent of "it's only hot on the Internet" when the Internet is basically everything.

I'm not even hip to how this streaming **** works cuz I don't mess with non of those sites. So they're counting streams that people don't pay for?

Some of y'all really don't get it. :lol:

People don't buy albums period anymore, calculating streaming #'s isn't an exact science but it is a way better judge of the music landscape than going by strictly sales.

It's just how the majority of people consume music and it's being dominated by Drake. Y'all act like if this wasn't the 90's Drake would be going diamond.

We seen the #'s Ja/DMX/Bad Boy/Cash Money/Hov/No Limit moved back then and Drake is more popular than all of them were.

It's stupid to get mad at streaming #'s, it's going to be new equivalent of "it's only hot on the Internet" when the Internet is basically everything.

A good amount of contradictions in here. Drake would go diamond in the 90s...yet of those artists listed, at their peak, only one of them went diamond (DMX). How would you actually quantify Drake being more popular than them? Though I don't think it really applies to Drake, social media today can make a vocal minority seem like they are the only voice in town. There's a good amount of artists who have millions on views online, yet no one can identify their music. You very well can be internet hot, and not have a soul know who you are

How are u mad that the industry changed their data reflecting the way music in 2016 is consumed :smh:

It has nothing to do with inflating artists numbers. Most albums are being consumed through streaming.

Last edited:
A good amount of contradictions in here. Drake would go diamond in the 90s...yet of those artists listed, at their peak, only one of them went diamond (DMX). How would you actually quantify Drake being more popular than them? Though I don't think it really applies to Drake, social media today can make a vocal minority seem like they are the only voice in town. There's a good amount of artists who have millions on views online, yet no one can identify their music. You very well can be internet hot, and not have a soul know who you are

Drake already shattered any records all of those 90's guys had when it comes to billboard singles and all of that before streaming was ever counted.

If I have to explain to you how he's more popular than all of them, idk, you living in your own world.

As for the second part, that's not true either. While some who aren't as savy may not know who they are, there are no artists right now that have millions of plays who can't set up a tour and sell out venues.

Who else is selling 2 million (actually copies?) You just flew over that like it's nothing though lol.

It's expected. He's a pop star, it's a good amount to sell in 2016 but it's like Katy Perry or Bieber selling two mil. Same fanbase.

How are u mad that the industry decided to change their data reflecting the way music in 2016 is consumed :smh:

It has nothing to do with inflating artists numbers. Most albums are being consumed through streaming.

Because it does a terrible job reflecting sales. Majority of the people that stream weren't buying albums to begin with. That's why it should be separate. Most of the people that were buying albums in 2010 are still buying albums in 2016. Albums were all over the internet in 2010 just like 2016. Record execs are hoping groupies like you spread the word and think that this false 2 million sold means something and motivates more people to buy it because it's the cool thing to do. Best part is, this album has gotten shidded on more than any Drake album and isn't getting any love from people.

Last edited:
I'm not even hip to how this streaming **** works cuz I don't mess with non of those sites. So they're counting streams that people don't pay for?

1500 streams = 1 album

If anyone believes that it's making artists who flop more successful need to look at the charts. So many of these artists are still struggling to sell.

I think Ariana Grande's album is already out of the top 10 and she was expected to do big things this year.

Because it does a terrible job reflecting sales. Majority of the people that stream weren't buying albums to begin with. That's why it should be separate. Most of the people that were buying albums in 2010 are still buying albums in 2016.

It's still reflects the popularity of an album. Streaming reflects how much the album is being consumed. Pure album sales only reflected the initial reaction towards an album which is why an album would drop off so quickly after being released. Streaming is how most ppl listen to music these days so it's only makes sense that rules were changed to reflect that.

Last edited:

Drake already shattered any records all of those 90's guys had when it comes to billboard singles and all of that before streaming was ever counted.

If I have to explain to you how he's more popular than all of them, idk, you living in your own world.

As for the second part, that's not true either. While some who aren't as savy may not know who they are, there are no artists right now that have millions of plays who can't set up a tour and sell out venues.

Lil B has multiple videos with millions of views, and had over a million followers, yet had to give away his readily available for purchase album for free. Hopsin and Stitches have videos pushing a mil. Do you know anyone outside of the internet who listens to them?

I also see you overlooked "though I don't think it applies to Drake".

I will ask again, how would you quantify him being more popular, when social media really kicked in gear in 2009? Are you saying the artists who were going platinum and diamond wouldn't be as popular WITH social media/streaming today? Logically, it sounds like they'd sell as well.

Lil B has multiple videos with millions of views, and had over a million followers, yet had to give away his readily available for purchase album for free. Hopsin and Stitches have videos pushing a mil. Do you know anyone outside of the internet who listens to them?

I also see you overlooked "though I don't think it applies to Drake".

I will ask again, how would you quantify him being more popular, when social media really kicked in gear in 2009? Are you saying the artists who were going platinum and diamond wouldn't be as popular WITH social media/streaming today? Logically, it sounds like they'd sell as well.

All 3 of those Internet acts you brought up have killed it on tour, you know where real people have to show up. :lol:

You proved my point, Lil B had to give his album away yet he still plays festivals and sells out shows, the game has changed.

No I think those guys I mentioned would still be as popular in today's age but they still wouldn't touch Drake because of the scope of his music making.

None of those guys had the songwriting ability he had or made as many hits while being as marketable as Drake is.

Drake sold out 4 MSG shows and 2 Barclays Center shows in the same tour, he's as big as the #'s say he is.

Like I said, I don't know what world y'all living but Drake is easily the most dominant artist in the history of hip hop thus far and can be argued as the biggest artist in all of music today.

After I heard bryson tiller went platinum I knew **** was different.

bryson tiller went platinum 
eek.gif
 really?

That's nuts. Yeah that **** is definitely a little fishy. Not that I give a **** about this sales conversation everyone is so wrapped up in but that's bizarre that a relative unknown came out the gate with a "platinum" album. That's gotta be the fastest rise from "just poppin on soundcloud" to platinum ever.

All 3 of those Internet acts you brought up have killed it on tour, you know where real people have to show up. :lol:

You proved my point, Lil B had to give his album away yet he still plays festivals and sells out shows, the game has changed.

No I think those guys I mentioned would still be as popular in today's age but they still wouldn't touch Drake because of the scope of his music making.

None of those guys had the songwriting ability he had or made as many hits while being as marketable as Drake is.

Drake sold out 4 MSG shows and 2 Barclays Center shows in the same tour, he's as big as the #'s say he is.

Like I said, I don't know what world y'all living but Drake is easily the most dominant artist in the history of hip hop thus far and can be argued as the biggest artist in all of music today.
I agree except for the hip hop part. If dude was strictly hip hop the #s would be nothing like that. His biggest songs right now have zero rapping. He and that weird ***** Kanye get put in the artist category, that's the new wave. Even the tiller dude, all these new dudes sing/rap/talk and make music catering to women. That's the new recipe for success in 2016.

:wow:  really?

That's nuts. Yeah that **** is definitely a little fishy. Not that I give a **** about this sales conversation everyone is so wrapped up in but that's bizarre that a relative unknown came out the gate with a "platinum" album. That's gotta be the fastest rise from "just poppin on soundcloud" to platinum ever.

His whole situation is funny to me, I just don't get the appeal. He just appeals to the lowest common dominator from what I've seen. I'm 24, everybody my age and below been rinsing his **** and wearing them stupid dad hats every since Don't.

That RCA x Apple Music collab is real too, he was one of the first artist they tried to build that way and it worked. He was being pushed harder on there than artist that have been established for years.

There's other ones on the same plan but they're in different genres, it's crazy to me that Apple isn't considered a label.

I knew tiller was gon be heavy cuz his music isn't degrading women :lol: it's very...positive towards women and unfortunately in RNB right now there's not many cats who make music like that. Rnb damn near sound like rap(see Chris brown) as a black rnb singer if you appreciate women in your music you pretty much have no where to go but up

The stream count will eventually be regulated/washed once it becomes the norm, everything seems major now because it's a new system but once all the artists drop albums and do high numbers, it'll be a wash

It's like this:

W/ streaming, like say if you have apple music or tidal, for 5 dollars a month you can essentially buy my album along with everyone else's and listen to it over and over and over again w/o actually having to purchase my album. So in a way, you kind of should and have to count streams because keeping it as strictly about sales would be such an inaccurate way to report who's listening and rocking to an album.

In all likelihood, what streams are really showing in regards to drake, is that a lot of people are listening to the album. If you don't count streams, you would have to find a way to chart just how people are listening to the music and you can't, thanks to the internet. If this was the 90's drake would still be breaking records because the one constant is that people, and A LOT of people, are listening to album. Only difference is in the 90's they would have had to buy it instead of streaming it.

The updated Billboard 200 will utilize accepted industry benchmarks for digital and streaming data, equating 10 digital track sales from an album to one equivalent album sale, and 1,500 song streams from an album to one equivalent album sale. All of the major on-demand audio subscription services are considered, including Spotify, Beats Music, Google Play and Xbox Music.

1,500 streams = 1 album.
10 digital songs = 1 album.

Last edited:

1500 streams = 1 album

If anyone believes that it's making artists who flop more successful need to look at the charts. So many of these artists are still struggling to sell.

I think Ariana Grande's album is already out of the top 10 and she was expected to do big things this year.

In that case I see Ballers point. Platinum really ain't platinum no more but it is what it is. **** has changed a lot.

I cringe every time people compare Drake to other rappers or say he's more popular than whatever rapper from the 90's. He's a pop star. He's barely even a rapper now. He's like Nelly x10. His music is totally different than a Jay or DMX or Pac back in the day. Of course pop stars are gonna be bigger than rappers.

Back
Top Bottom