🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

Looking forward to More Life but I'm cool on the UK rap **** man.

While I respect the skill, it's just not pleasureable to listen to.

UK rap is awful to me.

I just tried to listen to some of the artists like skepta see what drake was referring to

The grime scene. Idk I'm pretty sure you have to digest it fully. Definitely alternative af

This seems to be the consensus :lol:

Drake is a huge fan tho, he believes the best rappers rn are from there. Dave seems like he could break out here cause of his style.

Looking forward to More Life but I'm cool on the UK rap **** man.

While I respect the skill, it's just not pleasureable to listen to.

It's called GRIME. Bunch fake Anothony Fantanos in here. :smh: :smh: :smh:. I'm curios to know what songs y'all even checked out. Grime artists are better than many of the artists out in the U.S...

Last edited:
We know it's called "Grime", nobody cares. :lol:

It's still rap from the UK, it's like getting mad at calling Migos rap instead of trap.

I've listened to a bunch of Skepta, BBK, Giggs, Novelist, JME, Kano, all the "classics" like the Boy In Da Corner album etc.

While some of the production is great, I hate the vocal inflections, they have some very corny lines and the hooks aren't great for the most part.

If I'm going to listen to more lyrically focused rap, I'm listening to guys like Roc Marciano, Action Bronson, etc before any of that.

Just because you're into doesn't mean we gotta be.

Last edited:
^That. It's unbearable to listen to. It's enough trying to listen to American trash voices like RHQ, Young Thug, etc, add in a British accent and it may be worse

Last edited:
Shut Down is fire but that was the only UK rap song I was feeling prior to Wanna Know.

People believe since the UK and the states are tied up in everything else its supposed to seep into Hip Hop. Doesn't work that way, imagine if an Indian rapper tried to break in the states with a heavy accent. Its the same thing.

The UK scene deserves respect for not emulating US rappers. Skepta and Stormzy blew up by keeping their sound. Which is dope.

Last edited:
I love grime but it's definately an acquired taste. Its the same reason people like big krit aren't more popular, the accent is just too strong.

I love grime but it's definately an acquired taste. Its the same reason people like big krit aren't more popular, the accent is just too strong.

Exactly, I have respect for them as artists and a lot of them are exceptional at what they do, the music is just not my vibe.

That's why art is subjective.

A lot of my favorite artists are from the UK too like Jamie XX, James Blake, Jai Paul, Sampha, King Krule, NAO, SBTRKT.

But they all are singers/producers.

Drake interview was great until he started talking about UK Rap 
laugh.gif
.  If there's anything to be taken from this interview, it's the fact that the "Old Drake" that some of us are hoping comes back is pretty much gone (At least for the time being).

Hardcore grime rappers aren't really my thing. I laughed when I heard "whippin excursions. Got to pick that person". I've seen Lil Simms perform and she was kind of dope to me.

But as far as regular rapping from the U.K, I like Rejjie Snow and Hawk House.

since we're posting grime here's a few tracks worth a listen,

Dave from Wanna Know Remix

& AJ Tracey who Drake also mentioned in the More Life interview

Last edited:
I mean, the AJ track was decent

I just don't see how I'd ever be compelled to play these on a day to day basis or even for pregaming for the club

Maybe Drake can bridge the divide when it comes to Grime

He'll get us back in pocket on More Life...he has more freedom music wise since it's not essentially an 'album'

He came through on IYRTITL

He sounds kinda sad talking about Views, like he know he let people down.

At the end of the day, tracks from Views get more play from me than anything Kendrick or Cole put out in the last couple of years. Didn't let me down even though I was meh with the first listen through.

Yeah he straight up said Views was just another album, another chapter. He's still proud of it but he doesn't view it as a masterpiece. With that said he still reminded everyone that the music had quite an impact on music overall

He loves pop music and said he wants to be MJ. It's what makes him happy

Not a single grime record that was posted compelled me to want to listen to any of those guys again. No my flavor.

I don't quite understand the Hate Views gets, I love it. More so than Take Care, TML, really every project other than SFG and If you're reading this.

I also don't hear the "risk" drake is referring to in regards to views. It literally follows every drake album ever made from a formulaic perspective. Half rap / half singing. I guess the couple of dancehall vibes were the risks that he was referring to. Regardless, I loved views.

He had a chance to immortalize that whole '6' movement he was pushing so hard leading up to the album

I'm sure people were expecting a more IYRT type vibe album. Rap songs, bars (i say that word loosely bc some members on here will get their panties in a bunch), no gimmicks really, just back to back (no pun) bangers, cohesive body of work

A song like 'Know Yourself' belonged on Views

He caught that whole dancehall wave and ended up with a bunch of pop tunes

He even dropped 'from the 6' from the title. The album changed drastically from whatever it was supposed to be

Last edited by a moderator:
He had a chance to immortalize that whole '6' movement he was pushing so hard leading up to the album

I'm sure people were expecting a more IYRT type vibe album. Rap songs, bars (i say that word loosely bc some members on here will get their panties in a bunch), no gimmicks really

A song like 'Know Yourself' belonged on Views

He caught that whole dancehall wave and ended up with a bunch of pop tunes

He even dropped 'from the 6' from the title. The album changed drastically from whatever it was supposed to be
Not exactly. IYRT was never supposed to be views.

Drake's albums have always been half rap / half singing. He wanted to make a "rap" mixtape with 1da, and that's pretty much what happened.

He had come off of verses where he was rapping, had the IYRT album in circulation, WATTBA was popping, there was literally no way that Views was going to be a majority rap album. Not a chance in hell.

Not that much different IMO .

Drake was already on the dancehall vibes before that beef happened lowkey.

And like I said, his commercial albums were always gonna be half rap half singing

Back
Top Bottom