⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Harden really on the court looking like Mark Henry
aa0e5af4cfmarkhenry.jpg

These athletes know (or they should know) all of these things going into the draft. The difference is that these athletes can leave at any time. They can retire and find a different career path altogether. Plenty of players have walked away from the game on their own terms.

No one really owns you when you can walk away at any moment. These guys aren't in the military or anything.

Physically, sure they CAN leave/walk away.

Realistically speaking, most have devoted their entire lives training for this one thing. (Circumstances for the most part make us feel like this is the only way out. That is a SYSTEMIC issue).

So it isn't even fair to say, "They can leave at any time."

No, they can't. MANY don't have any other skills.

Just look around any city and look at how many former Hoopstars (HS/College) working dead-end jobs.

It is nowhere near as simple of a solution as you are presenting it.

Physically, sure they CAN leave/walk away.

Realistically speaking, most have devoted their entire lives training for this one thing. (Circumstances for the most part make us feel like this is the only way out. That is a SYSTEMIC issue).

So it isn't even fair to say, "They can leave at any time."

No, they can't. MANY don't have any other skills.

Just look around any city and look at how many former Hoopstars (HS/College) working dead-end jobs.

It is nowhere near as simple of a solution as you are presenting it.

I hate to sound like an a**hole but I really don't have much sympathy for them. If you're a grown adult in your twenties and you haven't developed any life skills beyond playing a sport, that's on you. If you've made millions (even $2 or $3 million) and you can't manage your money (or find someone who can), that's also on you.

In life you've got to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. You don't have to baby these pro athletes.

I know plenty of people who make fractions of what pro athletes make who walked away from careers because they didn't they weren't fulfilled, or the jobs are too stressful. A buddy of mine who worked in investment banking quit after working a hundred hours a week for a couple of years and now he's backpacking throughout Europe and he didn't have anywhere near pro athlete money (he might have had a couple hundred thousand)

I don't know, maybe I'm just not a sympathetic. Or maybe I expect adults to be able to take care of themselves. We can agree to disagree

I hate to sound like an a**hole but I really don't have much sympathy for them. If you're a grown adult in your twenties and you haven't developed any life skills beyond playing a sport, that's on you.n If you've made millions (even $2 or $3 million) and you can't manage your money (or find someone who can), that's also on you.

In life you've got to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I know plenty of people who make fractions of what pro athletes make who walked away from careers because they didn't they weren't fulfilled, or the jobs are too stressful. A buddy of mine who worked in investment banking quit after working a hundred hours a week for a couple of years and now he's backpacking throughout Europe. You don't have to baby these grown adults.

Not sure why it has to be as extreme as anyone babying them but cool.

I see where your mentality is on the topic.

We can agree to disagree.

No harm.

Ehhh theres a lot of "regular" people who cant manage their money and they make like 50k a year.

Also, when you dont have and all of a sudden you have...a lot, more time it doesnt get managed very well.

See lottery winners.

I don’t understand that line with Gobert in drop coverage all game.
Theres a big trend in favor of Utah. Idk what to make of it tho.

I took the over on the knicks, its at 196 lol. Cavs tough defensively but they gotta break 200. Right???

I like Chicago a lot tonight.

Weird slate in general as far as lines. Clips might be due to cover.

KHUFU KHUFU Yea but you aren't convincing anyone with common sense for the game that James Harden is JUST AS effective at THAT weight.

We know what being overweight does to the body.

It doesn't benefit him playing at that weight man.

I hate to sound like an a**hole but I really don't have much sympathy for them. If you're a grown adult in your twenties and you haven't developed any life skills beyond playing a sport, that's on you.n If you've made millions (even $2 or $3 million) and you can't manage your money (or find someone who can), that's also on you.

In life you've got to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. You don't have to baby these pro athletes.

I know plenty of people who make fractions of what pro athletes make who walked away from careers because they didn't they weren't fulfilled, or the jobs are too stressful. A buddy of mine who worked in investment banking quit after working a hundred hours a week for a couple of years and now he's backpacking throughout Europe and he didn't have anywhere near pro athlete money (he might have had a couple hundred thousand)

I don't know, maybe I'm just not a sympathetic. Or maybe I expect adults to be able to take care of themselves. We can agree to disagree
People would have to be allowed to BE adults, correct? This is what oppression does, it stunts growth, not allowing independence. I remember when Shaq was being criticized for being too active in businesses off court. He wasn't working hard enough to win a chip, they said. It wasn't enough that he was filling seats and helping to increase revenue shares, he wasn't going to be taken seriously as a great player, unless he won a chip.

Why couldn't Shaq be happy, doing what he was doing? Why did he need to win a chip at a certain time, in order to satisfy others?

Better yet, why doesn't the NBA institute a financial literacy program, that is MANDATORY for all rookies that sign with an NBA team?

If they really and truly cared about the success of these players, would it not be a better story to show how players are successful OFF court as well, then being able to help the communities that they come from?

Or is it really and truly only about the chip?

I hate to sound like an a**hole but I really don't have much sympathy for them. If you're a grown adult in your twenties and you haven't developed any life skills beyond playing a sport, that's on you. If you've made millions (even $2 or $3 million) and you can't manage your money (or find someone who can), that's also on you.

incredibly ignorant take for a ton of reasons. not worth getting into it based on what you've said, but you would be really well suited to research the communities that a lot of pro athletes come from and the general lack of access to resources and information those communities suffer from.

Theres a big trend in favor of Utah. Idk what to make of it tho.

I took the over on the knicks, its at 196 lol. Cavs tough defensively but they gotta break 200. Right???

I like Chicago a lot tonight.

Weird slate in general as far as lines. Clips might be due to cover.
Cavs have uglied up almost every game this year, you’re a braver man than I :lol: Definitely Chicago, and i even like the clips. Kings defense allowing something like 130ppg this month. Gotta dabble in PG/Kawhi player props

Ehhh theres a lot of "regular" people who cant manage their money and they make like 50k a year.

Also, when you dont have and all of a sudden you have...a lot, more time it doesnt get managed very well.

See lottery winners.

100%. There are doctors and lawyers who live paycheck to paycheck. Their financial advisors, who manage other people's money, who can't manage their own money. I have a little bit more sympathy for the person making $50k because they're living closer to the margins and one or two bad financial mistakes or setbacks can ruin them.

I really don't feel sympathy for lottery winners who screw up. I hate to sound like some neocon Republican but their adults. Gaining financial literacy is up to you.

I miss anything funny in t he last day or so?
Lakers repeating, but who's hopped on the Nets bandwagon?

The more I think about it the more I like the fit. Harden PG, Myrie off ball and KD being the monster he is. They going to be a LOAD.

Cavs have uglied up almost every game this year, you’re a braver man than I :lol: Definitely Chicago, and i even like the clips. Kings defense allowing something like 130ppg this month. Gotta dabble in PG/Kawhi player props
Bro cavs had 38 midway through thr 3rd vs utah lmao. I had that under, 2 strong defenses.

Markkanen is back too.

Clips havent covered in the last 3, think they due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom