⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
💯💯💯

A couple years ago my homie tried to give me the whole "NFL players or slaves" talk and made a bunch of analogies between the NFL and slavery ("owners", the NFL combine, etc). I'm thinking "I'll gladly be somebody's slave for millions of dollars a year". It would sure beat working at 9-5.

I'm not saying that sports leagues are perfect but miss me with the "I'm not somebody's property, they can't tell me what to do". Kyrie signed a contract and he's making $33m this season. The nets made a huge investment in him. If he really doesn't want to be somebody's property, he can gladly retire and miss out on the remaining $100m of his contract.
Does Colin Kaepernick have a gig in the NFL anywhere as of yet?

Yikes! Have some self respect man...A black man shouldnt wanna be considered anybody’s slave or “property”, but It’s to be expected from you :smh:

What I'm saying is I would much rather be a pro athlete then working nine to five. The whole concept of pro athletes being "property" because they're expected to follow the rules of the league that they choose to be in and are expected to abide by the rules of the million dollar contracts they choose to sign is offensive to any person who's actually been "property" (ie actual slaves). If that is Kyrie's definition of property, then I will gladly be an NBA owner's property if I'm making $33m. these pro athletes are so delusional and they're out of touch with a regular people.

"Oh no I'm earning more In a year then the average American makes in multiple lifetimes and the person paying me has the audacity to actual expectations of me like showing up to work! Woe is me!"

This is an interesting qualification never heard it before. In talks but never actually being one is quite the small feather in a cap.

AD's accomplishments: 1st team all-NBA, 2nd in DPOY (probably should have won), top 3 all time in PER, NBA champion

Embiid's accomplishments: his team is "in the conversation as a contender" (well never having been past a second round)

Does Colin Kaepernick have a gig in the NFL anywhere as of yet?

No, Karl not screwed in the NFL owners know it. That's why they lost their collusion lawsuit. That's a very different argument than what Kyrie is suggesting though. Please don't put Kaep and Kyrie in the same sentence. Kaep was willing to sacrifice everything for what he believed and Kyrie just doesn't want to play basketball

AD's accomplishments: 1st team all-NBA, 2nd in DPOY (probably should have won), top 3 all time in PER, NBA champion

Embiid's accomplishments: his team is "in the conversation as a contender" (well never having been past a second round)

These sound similar TBH :lol:

What I'm saying is I would much rather be a pro athlete then working nine to five. The whole concept of pro athletes being "property" because they're expected to follow the rules of the league that they choose to be in and are expected to abide by the rules of the million dollar contracts they choose to sign is offensive to any person who's actually been "property" (ie actual slaves). If that is Kyrie's definition of property, then I will gladly be an NBA owner's property if I'm making $33m. these pro athletes are so delusional and they're out of touch with a regular people.

"Oh no I'm earning more In a year then the average American makes in multiple lifetimes and the person paying me has the audacity to actual expectations of me like showing up to work! Woe is me!"

How many pro athletes do you know? These dudes be out here in the trenches doing way more than the everyday man. If anything there are more in touch because they know what it’s like.

the Mavs traded Harrison Barnes at halftime. You are absolutely property in the sense where you don’t control your destiny. Trevor ariza got traded 6 times in November.

i’m not trying to be anyone’s property for a check.

No, Karl not screwed in the NFL owners know it. That's why they lost their collusion lawsuit. That's a very different argument than what Kyrie is suggesting though. Please don't put Kaep and Kyrie in the same sentence. Kaep was willing to sacrifice everything for what he believed and Kyrie just doesn't want to play basketball
If we are discussing slavery, then you do understand who calls the shots in regard to who gets to play and then who does not, correct? Again, I am asking the question in regard to the slave question. Players are indeed owned, paid? Yes. However, they are not free to be, say, or do as they wish. Coming from someone who owns his own business, I am free to do whatever I want, whenever I want, not needing to worry about what anyone thinks. I own me. That is freedom. Within the sports franchise construct, the player is the reason you watch the game. That player, does not own himself. He/she has to answer to that owner, to the franchise. regardless of financial compensation, that player is owned.

I agreed that it’s more an NFL culture thing in terms of the slave thing. However, have you NEVER felt like your assigned manager/exec isnt trying to get you to move a deliverable so IT pulls for them? I know @antidope and @erupt hate these anologies but they’re similar. I’m not saying that everyone in here is valued by the CEO the same way a Mac player is but at the end of the day, working for someone less we’re all pawns

Yeah I hear you. In any field you just gotta know how to navigate and let people know I'm not gonna be played with. Working hard is given at whatever you do but you gotta draw that line.

Your endorsement deals control you more than the nba owners do. Not even close. They can back out whenever they want for whatever they want. Y’all are going OD just for kyrie. Overall, I agree with kyrie’s mindset but he takes it to the stupid next level where he’s on his own. He hits 21 on blackjack and asks the dealer to hit him again with some of his “ideas”

This conversation been moved passed Kyrie.

He could have got out of Washington before he had to face this current situation.

So you purposely won't answer the question posed to you?

What can Bradley Beal do ON THE COURT right now to help his team win more games?
Is he doing enough?

Just trying to make sure the same dumb rules yall have for Steph apply to ALL players.

Brad's playing at a high level, it's not impacting the team winning games though.

So you purposely won't answer the question posed to you?

What can Bradley Beal do ON THE COURT right now to help his team win more games?
Is he doing enough?

Just trying to make sure the same dumb rules yall have for Steph apply to ALL players.

I don’t make any excuses for Steph. But Steph has 3 rings, multiple MVPs, and has changed the game. So, to try making a Point about Beal, while including Steph, is blasphemous.

Whatever happens to Beal I hope he lands on his feet with a chance to win or at least play more meaningful games, even if it's in DC. Probably my favorite player not on the team I root for. Seems like a genuine dude too and one of the more likable guys among his peers.

How many pro athletes do you know? These dudes be out here in the trenches doing way more than the everyday man. If anything there are more in touch because they know what it’s like.

the Mavs traded Harrison Barnes at halftime. You are absolutely property in the sense where you don’t control your destiny. Trevor ariza got traded 6 times in November.

i’m not trying to be anyone’s property for a check.

To each their own. I totally understand what you're saying and there crappy parts about every career but I would deal with all of it (travel, injuries, not having autonomy over where you live, fear of being traded) for the opportunity to make generational wealth and play a game that I love.

Frankly, none of these things you mentioned are secrets. NBA players know what they're getting into when they enter the draft and sign contracts. Some people are willing to make those sacrifices and others aren't. You may be the type of person who values autonomy in which case playing in a pro sports league wouldn't be for you.

I was in the military for 6 years and I was the federal government's "propertyx. They could have told me to move anywhere in the world at a moment to notice, but I knew that going in to the situation and I didn't complain about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom