⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those complaints about Englands style are funny when the only squad to do ****housery at this WC better than England is France and it has them in the final :lol:

Granted they could probably still get to the final playing different styles...

At the end of the day, you think the French people give a **** what anyone thinks? No, because they're in the World Cup final.

I can personally attest to this, when your country goes on a run you really don't care about "style of play" or how they got there.

Hate to break it to you, but Argentina hasn't played a nice brand of football since 2006-2007 (when Riquelme was in his prime).

We might've reached the Final of the 2014 World Cup, but we didn't exactly do it in style.

I agree that Sabella had us playing more defensive but the 2010 team was super attack minded...unfortunately Maradona did not have a game plan and it showed vs Germany. I imagine he just said "go ahead boys...go out there and have fun". I actually enjoyed their games though and they were fun to watch. Argentina played the most entertaining games in a world cup that was probably the most boring, lowest scoring, and defensive minded world cups in recent memory. That Argentina vs Mexico game was fire.

#HowSoTrey

Last edited:
While I get what’s people say about England’s style of play historically this 2018 England team doesn’t play like past England teams we’ve seen really. They aren’t just lumping it up and hoping for the best looking clueless and play with no clear structure like past England teams we’ve seen recently. They actually are playing from the back being patient in buildup only sending it long when it looks like a play is actually on and not just throwing up a prayer like we used to see from them. Yea they’ve scored a ****ton from set pieces lol but they are actually trying to play some expansive football now thanks to Southgate

If anything, France's very defensive gameplan and still making more and better use of our goal than we did against them further demonstrates how effective France was. I'm not mad at them for playing the way they did.

If there's one thing I dislike about the sport, its the crocodile tears shed after losses and the playing styles used.

The opposing team isn't here to make it equal opportunity. Either you overcome it or you take the L. That's it.

Too much crying when it comes to that. Hazard and Courtois pissed me off with that, especially when they know damn well they've sat in a parked bus quite a few times during their careers.

If there's one thing I dislike about the sport, its the crocodile tears shed after losses and the playing styles used.

The opposing team isn't here to make it equal opportunity. Either you overcome it or you take the L. That's it.

Too much crying when it comes to that. Hazard and Courtois pissed me off with that, especially when they know damn well they've sat in a parked bus quite a few times during their careers.

Repped. Agreed 100%

The Dutch probably scoff at how Italians play football, but one country has 4 titles while the other has none.

Agreed. Especially when you take into account that France still got more attempts on our goal both off- and on target and managed to score one. There's no point in whining about how France played after the fact, the time to do something about it was during the match.

France: 19 shots, 5 on target
Belgium: 9 shots, 3 on target

Last edited:
I agree that Sabella had us playing more defensive but the 2010 team was super attack minded...unfortunately Maradona did not have a game plan and it showed vs Germany. I imagine he just said "go ahead boys...go out there and have fun". I actually enjoyed their games though and they were fun to watch. Argentina played the most entertaining games in a world cup that was probably the most boring, lowest scoring, and defensive minded world cups in recent memory. That Argentina vs Mexico game was fire.

Enjoy...
#HowSoTrey

I remember the 2010 World Cup like it was yesterday. We hired Maradona near the end of qualifiers, we barely qualified, and then Maradona proceeded to snub Zanetti and Cambiasso even though both were in great form for a treble-winning Inter Milan side. Came back to haunt us when Germany put four on us in QF. It was fun beating up on Korea, Greece, Nigeria, and Mexico but we stood no chance in the long run with Diego as manager.

When I flew into & out of Orlando last week, I saw many of Frenchies with either a Les Bleus shirt, polo, or T shirt. Even saw a kid with that dope warm up shirt. I didn’t see anyone with anything 3 Lions & there were a crap ton of Brits every where...

I am not winning the world cup either way so for me the style that wins out matters because it impacts American soccer and American coaches who just started watching soccer last week or last year.

Just like the warriors 3 pt offense changed the game, the world cup winning strategy will influence soccer for at least the next 3 years. That is why I have a preference.

Congrats to France though. Do what you gotta do.

I remember the 2010 World Cup like it was yesterday. We hired Maradona near the end of qualifiers, we barely qualified, and then Maradona proceeded to snub Zanetti and Cambiasso even though both were in great form for a treble-winning Inter Milan side. Came back to haunt us when Germany put four on us in QF. It was fun beating up on Korea, Greece, Nigeria, and Mexico but we stood no chance in the long run with Diego as manager.

I'm glad he left them off LOL
They were gonna bring their Inter de Mourinho defensive minded football to the team. Maradona was having none of that. He was not gonna contaminate our Buenos Aires Street ball style.

I agree though we did need a better game plan vs Germany...sigh...it was fun while it lasted. That 3 forward offense was trailblazing.

******* Belgium....ah well, we lost to a great French team. I guess I'll root for them now, especially if England get through.

Sent this to my boy, too lazy to type it out in here so here you go:

C9D9E86E-6131-4C3C-B209-FA06E0AFC215.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom