∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

I actually think every single one of them is gonna die. New detectives, Rust, Marty, Sherriff, Man with the scars, etc. No one is gonna survive.

you know what?

Maybe that person in the bed in the flashback is actually Errol and it shows how he came to receive the scarred face by his daddy

I can't see how Rust doesn't die. He's spoke about death and fulfillment on series long. He's welcoming it and hinting towards suicide.

I don't doubt he'll go out of his way to put himself under harms way. He almost needs to die to be truly happy.

eh. he's hinted at not being afraid to die. but he also said he wouldn't commit suicide.

i agree that he'd do something reckless (the whole raid on the projects was kinda reckless) to solve the case but he's not going to get himself killed intentionally.

there's enough foreshadowing about him dying, but there's foreshadowing to the contrary too. i don't think we can say one ending is destined any more than the other.

Lol at "kinda wreckless" going into the hood with 3 skinhead type dudes dressed as cops... 
laugh.gif

eh. he's hinted at not being afraid to die. but he also said he wouldn't commit suicide.

i agree that he'd do something reckless (the whole raid on the projects was kinda reckless) to solve the case but he's not going to get himself killed intentionally.

there's enough foreshadowing about him dying, but there's foreshadowing to the contrary too. i don't think we can say one ending is destined any more than the other.

He said he wouldn't commit suicide in 1995.

It's 2012 and everything we've seen during that time frame hints/points to him killing himself or dying when this "Yellow King" thing is solved. Or during it. He wants it, he's already accepted it.

^ Like what though?  He said he wouldn't kill himself.  

If we believe all of the child death/divorce stuff and the way he always reacted when it's brought up and he didn't do it then, when he actually discussed considering it, what have we seen in the interrogation and episodes since that leads you to believe he suddenly wants to die any more than then?

^ Like what though?  He said he wouldn't kill himself.  

If we believe all of the child death/divorce stuff and the way he always reacted when it's brought up and he didn't do it then, when he actually discussed considering it, what have we seen in the interrogation and episodes since that leads you to believe he suddenly wants to die any more than then?

Last episode man, you didn't see when Marty asked him why'd he come back to Louisiana, Rust answered "This case, something he had to see to before gettin on with something else...his lifes been nothing but violence and he's ready to tie it off."

2012 Rust is not the same 1995 Rust. He's looks tired now.

It's 2012 and everything we've seen during that time frame hints/points to him killing himself or dying when this "Yellow King" thing is solved. Or during it. He wants it, he's already accepted it.

How? I don't see that at all

How? I don't see that at all

He say's his life is a circle of violence and suffering or something like that and that he "wants to tie it off". He wants to finish the case and kill himself. Whether that happens or not, who knows?

No we do know he broke into the house.  We're not taking his word for it, the show SHOWED us him do it.

You guys keep missing that point.  The only things that have been proven to be lies are the things Rust and Marty say and then we never actually see.  We just hear it discussed or we hear them say it and then something different is shown happening.  Notice we never see Rust in Alaska?  Notice we never meet his daughter or ex wife.  Maybe because Alaska and his old family aren't THAT important to the story or maybe because he bent the truth there.  Who knows.

What we do know is EVERYTHING we see on screen has been verified as happenng by multiple sources.  Lights and birds swirling in the air?  They happened.  They were hallucinations but hallucinations that happened.

The ONLY reason we see footage of Marty eating TV dinners and online dating is to verify his story to us.  Same reason we see Rust taking out the garbage.  They live mundane *** lives.

They're not the killers. Everyone needs to get over that.  This isn't Sixth Sense.  

You can interpret Ledoux's we've done this before and will do this again rant to somehow mean that Rust (now with long hair and tats like Ledoux) will be the one being arrested for the murder one day while his fat #2 (Marty) runs.  Maybe.  Very possible.  Doesn't mean they're the ones the cops are really seeking.  I mean Ledoux wasn't the Yellow King, either.

Or, you could take it to mean that Marty and Rust tried to arrest the real criminals once, failed and ended up offing them both and we're just gonna see that scenario repeat itself again in the finale.

Either way, all this "I still think Rust did it!" pseudo-scientific "all the characteristics of a murderer" talk is a viewer being too smart for himself.  The show isn't trying to trick you.  (and for the record, Rust doesn't have all the characteristics of a serial killer and I'd argue he isn't a sociopath for several reasons, chief amongst them his obsession with the well being of innocent people but thats an argument for another post.)  Our detectives aren't the bad guys.  In the end they may take the fall for being them, but we know they didn't do it.  The show has shown us that.

Y'all need to accept that.

I need that .gif of The Rock clapping.

It's been stressed by multiple media outlets, reporting words from Pizzolatto himself, that this will not be some Sixth Sense/The Usual Suspects type ending.

I don't see how in any way Rust commits suicide even if it's suicide by cop or trying to save an innocent.

Maybe alcohol poisoning or by pissing off the wrong dude but not straight up suicide it's time to die. No matter how tired and finished he looks or claims to be.

Last edited:
Decided to jump into the show today after hearing all the acclaim Matthew has been getting as of late.

Two episodes in and I'm hooked.

Back
Top Bottom