∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

We're suppose to feel sorry for a baby killer, who only confessed after Rust made her think she had a disorder.

Yeah, sure, hmmm, ok :rolleyes

It all depends on how deep you want to analyze the scene. Yes, your point is one perspective: Rust is exacting real justice, showing no sympathy to someone who is truly evil, and ****** up. But doesn't his way of life and ability to get into sickos' heads reveal something about him? Perhaps he is a sicko himself, which is why he can relate. My first reaction when I heard the "you should just kill yourself" comment was :wow: "I can't believe he said that," even if he said it to someone who doesn't deserve any sympathy.

I don't know. I'm not completely sold on Rust. I definitely think there have been scenes that suggest there could be something fishy about him as well.

Last edited:
We're suppose to feel sorry for a baby killer, who only confessed after Rust made her think she had a disorder.

I Stated Rust has the characteristics of a killer never said he was the killer.
I Never said we should feel sorry for the woman, i simply explained how it added to the list of obsessive characteristics Rust has with murderers.

That is all

It all depends on how deep you want to analyze the scene. Yes, your point is on perspective: Rust is exacting real justice, showing no sympathy to someone who is truly evil, and ****** up. But doesn't his way of life and ability to get into sickos' heads reveal something about him? Perhaps he is a sicko himself, which is why he can relate.

I don't know. I'm not completely sold on Rust. I definitely think there have been scenes that suggest there's something fishy about him as well.

exactly HBO isn't in the business of making a clear good guy/ bad guy dynamic in their shows. The writers purposely made Rust this way in order to add that dimension of him possibly being the killer. It was stated by Marty early in the show to not jump to conclusions because it can alter the way you view a show. That is exactly what these characteristics in rust's character are placed there for to ensure people look at him in the light of a suspect. He harbors traits and habits that make him seem like he "could" be a killer.

Everyone on Rust's nuts because he such a bad ***. :lol:

No, you're not supposed to have sympathy for a baby killer. But the fact that Rust responds with something so awesomely morbid says something about him as well.

exactly HBO isn't in the business of making a clear good guy/ bad guy dynamic in their shows. The writers purposely made Rust this way in order to add that dimension of him possibly being the killer. It was stated by Marty early in the show to not jump to conclusions because it can alter the way you view a show. That is exactly what these characteristics in rust's character are placed there for to ensure people look at him in the light of a suspect. He harbors traits and habits that make him seem like he "could" be a killer.

Nic Pizzolatto clearly said you will know by the end of episode 7 if Marty or Rust are involved

NIC PIZZOLTTO: By episode 7 [aired March 2], it’s clear if Cohle or Hart is guilty. I knew some of the audience would suspect Cohle strongly. I knew others would predict a more far-reaching, mind-bending game at work. I hope they are all surprised, but feel in hindsight that that the outcome was inevitable.

What is the ultimate point you are trying to make? you are all over the place.

I mean, ****, we don't exactly know that Rust broke into the Tuttle houses. We're taking his word for it...

Now, that could be interesting.

Not that he might be a part of it, but that he coulda been an unreliable narrator these last couple es.

...even though the show's sorta followed the rule of 'people lie, but what you see is real.'

It all depends on how deep you want to analyze the scene. Yes, your point is one perspective: Rust is exacting real justice, showing no sympathy to someone who is truly evil, and ****** up. But doesn't his way of life and ability to get into sickos' heads reveal something about him? Perhaps he is a sicko himself, which is why he can relate.

I don't know. I'm not completely sold on Rust. I definitely think there have been scenes that suggest there's something fishy about him as well.

Rust explains his interrogation technique though, to the black detectives. He says in intentionally tries to relate to these sick people because they all want to confess something, and he contextualizes their actions in a way that makes them feel comfortable to do so.

-He tells he tweeker it is not his fault because he was high. The tweeker how could find a way to explain his actions, and who was changing his story over and over as a result, now feels comfortable to confess because gives him a story that he thinks will work.

-He tells the mom that she has Munchhausen syndrome by proxy (which she probably does) to make her feel comfortable confessing. She no longer has to lie about her babies mysteriously dying on her to get attention. She now has a disorder that get her the attention she craves.

And when Rust is done acting, he shatters their worlds, the one he had just built for them to feel comfortable, because he believes in personal responsibility and he is not there to help them. He is just there to get a confession. So **** them

It shows Rust is good at his job. That's all

Last edited:
Nic Pizzolatto clearly said you will know by the end of episode 7 if Marty or Rust are involved
What is the ultimate point you are trying to make? you are all over the place.

That Rust could be the killer and that the show, in the process of revealing who the killer is, displays both redeemable and questionable qualities within its characters that keep the audience wondering.

That Rust could be the killer and that the show, in the process of revealing who the killer is, displays both redeemable and questionable qualities within its characters that keep the audience wondering.

what? he said you would know if they were involved by episode 7 :lol:

why did you leave out his quote that posted

My point has been plastered all over this page.... rust clearly has characteristics of a murderer.... Hence why the writers had the detectives purposely try to implicate him as a possible killer, Hence why they were trying to get a read on how his mind works.

and on another note him saying that means nothing considering the killer hasn't been arrested yet.... he's assuming that people will make that distinction, however as a writer he knows until a resolution is found speculation wil continue.

What happened in episode 7 specifically that would make someone say Rust/Marty is or isn't the killer?

Last edited:
Ohhh ****, my bad.

I see what you're saying. I completely retract.

Truly, I have never ****** up this bad. :smh: :tongue:

Last edited:
laugh.gif

I guess I've been anticipating some kind of mega-twist, because if the buck stops at the dude we saw at the end of Episode 7, then I will be a little disappointed.

Now, that could be interesting.

Not that he might be a part of it, but that he coulda been an unreliable narrator these last couple es.

...even though the show's sorta followed the rule of 'people lie, but what you see is real.'

...but I did have a point here! :lol:

Why does every show have to have a twist? Could Rust have been involved? maybe thru like episode 4. No way in hell now.....

WHY DON'T I GET THE "BACKDOOR" PHONE CALL FROM SUCH A FINE PIECE...

Back
Top Bottom