Your local U.S. Census Bureau may be hiring. Vol. $

just got a 100 on the practice test with no scratch paper (wrote my answers down on a sheet of paper, but didn't use it for any arithmetic) orcalculator...seems like a good option for those who are looking for a job.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Lo Deini The Great

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

So has anyone been hired yet?

They called me last week for the crew leader position. My training is next week.
did you have to apply for that position, or do they choose for you what your going to do? what are the qualifications for that position?

im taking the test today.

how long do u work for the bureau? is it only a few weeks or a few months?

also, what do the test questions consist of? im takin my test feb 12th. hopefully there are a lot of openings in my area (seattle)

Originally Posted by MrDoeBoI

So am I the only 1 that received a letter requesting finger prints ?

this guy at my gym told me that when he called and asked why they said that he showed up in their FBI list and to know why he had to go down to get hisfingerprints taken to find out the reason
grin.gif

i personally wouldnt go
alien.gif

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Just called and scheduled my test for Wednesday.

The lady encouraged me multiple times to bring friends and anyone else that needs a job along. Guess that means they have lots of openings.
pimp.gif

Oh, and here's a pre-test:

http://2010.census.gov/20...bs/pdf/Practice_Test.pdf

Yea i currently work with the census bureau in NYC, they are looking to hire thousands of people all over.
Clerical positions (very few available) pay 14.25 an hour.
Field positions pay 18.75 an hour (thousands will be hired for this position)
Position i am at now which is Recruiting Assistant pays 20.25 an hour
Keep in mind that positions are temporary (may last a few weeks) also these pay rates are for the NYC area, other states may vary.
but its a quick way to earn money and help out your community.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]If you would like to schedule for a test please call 1-866-861-2010[/color]

you can put in your zip code and they will transfer you to your local census office.

Any questions feel free to ask, i will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Thekidfrombk,

how did you go about becoming a recruiting assistant? That's what I want to do. There's only one in my area (Mobile, AL). I scored a 26/28 on the test btw. Also, how permanent is that position? Would it be wise to quit my current job if i gained that spot?

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Thekidfrombk,

how did you go about becoming a recruiting assistant? That's what I want to do. There's only one in my area (Mobile, AL). I scored a 26/28 on the test btw. Also, how permanent is that position? Would it be wise to quit my current job if i gained that spot?

the RA positions are pretty much done already, we are the people who administer the test.
I wouldn't recommend  quitting your current job because all the jobs are temp.
I got lucky getting the RA position, i used to do field work back in september, after that phase was over they decided to keep me as a office clerk. Did that for about a month, then they made me a recruiting assistant.

Like i said b4 the job could last as little as a few weeks.
when i was first hired by the census it was back in march 09, job lasted only a month.
they called me back in September where i worked in the field , then got a spot in the office, now am back in the field recruiting.
so i been working 5 months straight now

the majority of the hiring will be done in the SPRING so everyone who got good scores will have a better chance of getting called first (some people have already been called)

thekidfrombk, what does the field jobs entail?

Would they take special consideration on an office job if you have no form of transportation besides public transportation?

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

thekidfrombk, what does the field jobs entail?

Would they take special consideration on an office job if you have no form of transportation besides public transportation?

MOST of the  field hiring will be for the census taker position. Basically you have to go to  the people who didnt mail in there  2010 census questionnaire  and either help them do it, or explain to them why its important for them to fill it out.

there are other small phases going on in the census that require field work like quality control work, basically re-visiting addresses or group quarters to make sure information we have in the office is correct.

fr your second question, i guess that depends where you live. Here in NYC public transportation takes you anywhere u need to go.  (field workers also get reimbursed for travel
pimp.gif
)

This is a great way to make some quick $ if you don't mind going around to pples homes

So how much hours a week are they giving and whats the deal with the asking for Finger Prints ?

Your allowed to work up to 40 hrs a week.

They fingerprint and do a background check because its a federal job.

And no they don't drug test.

^ so if I was charged on petit larceny and my penalty was a stoplift class and stay out of trouble for 6 months, that won't hurt me right?

On the official verbatim it says any violation of the law since the age 18 other than a minor traffic violation COULD be a basis for non-selection.

But I've heard that as long as its not a real serious or violent crime that you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom