Yo NT, I wanna import a Skyline

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Start with a Saturn.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I finally see this thread, let me just start off, this is a sneaker forum, not a car forum. There are plenty and plenty of Nissan Specific forums that have more knowledge on this.  I'm going to awnser as much as i can, some people have some info right and others do not. The only way to get a "FEDERALLY" legal skyline is to have a REGISTERED IMPORTER(RI) import a 96-98 Nissan Skyline that is OBD II compliant.Motorex did in fact crash 10 R33s, and the testing was estimated to cost $1million.  Then only the RI can do the proper modifications to get a DOT release bond and have it EPA and CARB Certified.  Unfortunatley, after Motorex, no RI will touch the car. All the MOTOREX cars were grandfathered in, and remained federally legal. Some states have loose laws, and as long as you pay to have it titled, you are taking the risk. Thats a matter thats is idependent on the state.

My advice, like dirty said, keep it in Canada. Canada allows for cars 15 years or older to be imported, the US allows cars to be 25 years or older to be imported.

I finally see this thread, let me just start off, this is a sneaker forum, not a car forum. There are plenty and plenty of Nissan Specific forums that have more knowledge on this.  I'm going to awnser as much as i can, some people have some info right and others do not. The only way to get a "FEDERALLY" legal skyline is to have a REGISTERED IMPORTER(RI) import a 96-98 Nissan Skyline that is OBD II compliant.Motorex did in fact crash 10 R33s, and the testing was estimated to cost $1million.  Then only the RI can do the proper modifications to get a DOT release bond and have it EPA and CARB Certified.  Unfortunatley, after Motorex, no RI will touch the car. All the MOTOREX cars were grandfathered in, and remained federally legal. Some states have loose laws, and as long as you pay to have it titled, you are taking the risk. Thats a matter thats is idependent on the state.

My advice, like dirty said, keep it in Canada. Canada allows for cars 15 years or older to be imported, the US allows cars to be 25 years or older to be imported.

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Originally Posted by moneymike88

i like Cam's idea though...Cop an r33 already in the us for cheap..they run at around 13 to 16k (gts-t)

then buy a dummy beater 240sx of the same color and year...register it and swap plates

but that #@%* is highly illegal and im not even sure it its worth the headache

Awful idea
Not necessarily. You have NO idea how many cars from overseas here are done that way. However, it DOES present a problem should you wreck the car. I've seen Silvia's listed as 240's, Sunny's listed as Pulsars, Starlet GT's as Tercel's, etc...

That is exactly what I meant. It is all good until something goes wrong or until a cop pulls your over who knows what a skyline is. In the end, it just isn't worht it unless you just have money like that

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

i like Cam's idea though...Cop an r33 already in the us for cheap..they run at around 13 to 16k (gts-t)

then buy a dummy beater 240sx of the same color and year...register it and swap plates

but that #@%* is highly illegal and im not even sure it its worth the headache

Awful idea
Not necessarily. You have NO idea how many cars from overseas here are done that way. However, it DOES present a problem should you wreck the car. I've seen Silvia's listed as 240's, Sunny's listed as Pulsars, Starlet GT's as Tercel's, etc...

That is exactly what I meant. It is all good until something goes wrong or until a cop pulls your over who knows what a skyline is. In the end, it just isn't worht it unless you just have money like that

Originally Posted by PremeOne

Anyone have info on the Kaizo Kit Car? They're site doesn't work.

That's because Kaizo Industries sold actual Skylines, not kit cars...they basically dismantled the cars and shipped them over piece-by-piece to give the impression that it WAS a kit car to pass thru Cali's emissions standards, BUT when it was discovered the cars were actual Skylines, the owners were sent letters by the FBI stating the cars were going to be seized with 60 days if they didn't turn them in. To date, they've seized 3 R34's and 2 R32's
Which is also illegal

Another wannabe importer is Fast4Wheels, LLC.According to theirwebsite, “We sell Nissan Skylines and other JDM vehicles you’re lookingfor! These cars are already here in the US, and come registered with atitle.â€

Originally Posted by PremeOne

Anyone have info on the Kaizo Kit Car? They're site doesn't work.

That's because Kaizo Industries sold actual Skylines, not kit cars...they basically dismantled the cars and shipped them over piece-by-piece to give the impression that it WAS a kit car to pass thru Cali's emissions standards, BUT when it was discovered the cars were actual Skylines, the owners were sent letters by the FBI stating the cars were going to be seized with 60 days if they didn't turn them in. To date, they've seized 3 R34's and 2 R32's
Which is also illegal

Another wannabe importer is Fast4Wheels, LLC.According to theirwebsite, “We sell Nissan Skylines and other JDM vehicles you’re lookingfor! These cars are already here in the US, and come registered with atitle.â€

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

keep it registered in CA if you have family there..
drive it around in the US.
That's what i thought until i started poking around

How About Bringing it in Through Canada?

Thereare a number of Skylines in Canada, and many pop up for sale from timeto time. However, Skylines don’t count under the Canadian Marketcategory as they were never originally manufactured for exportation tothe Canadian market. Thus these vehicles will be processed the same asa vehicle imported from Japan. Of course, with them simply being a“border awayâ€

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

keep it registered in CA if you have family there..
drive it around in the US.
That's what i thought until i started poking around

How About Bringing it in Through Canada?

Thereare a number of Skylines in Canada, and many pop up for sale from timeto time. However, Skylines don’t count under the Canadian Marketcategory as they were never originally manufactured for exportation tothe Canadian market. Thus these vehicles will be processed the same asa vehicle imported from Japan. Of course, with them simply being a“border awayâ€

I have an R33 I cant even legalize, what ru guys smoking?..........if it's not already legal good luck in California getting ANY SKYLINE legalized

I have an R33 I cant even legalize, what ru guys smoking?..........if it's not already legal good luck in California getting ANY SKYLINE legalized

Originally Posted by Sputnik

Limitedretro
an r33 is not legal unmodified, you cannot just import one and register it, or else I'd be having one myself as a DD.
Although, it is the only gtr in the r32-r34 that is still possible to import. The reason being that motorex performed all of the necessary crash tests etc for the car, which I believe is somewhere around 10. Then they closed. Now even that such info exists, it's hard to find the paperwork since motorex would obviously not give it away for free. The r33 is not build to us standards, similarly to how the r32 and r34 isn't. They're not any different and all required modifications, the only difference is that the r33 has the necessary testing and paperwork. If someone is willing to import 10+ r32s and r34s to perform the tests, therefore destroying them, then they would also be potentially legal to import. The entire process is a lot more complicated then you guys make it out to be. After research, i found that the most efficient way to import them would be to register it as a kit car. In order to do so the motor ****** and body would have to be dissassembled then imported. Although, there is also a problem with this method because technically the skyline doesn't classify as a kit car, although Ive seen many success stories

FFS.

I be trying to read this damn paragraph and I see this !*$ shaking vicariously at me?

Originally Posted by Sputnik

Limitedretro
an r33 is not legal unmodified, you cannot just import one and register it, or else I'd be having one myself as a DD.
Although, it is the only gtr in the r32-r34 that is still possible to import. The reason being that motorex performed all of the necessary crash tests etc for the car, which I believe is somewhere around 10. Then they closed. Now even that such info exists, it's hard to find the paperwork since motorex would obviously not give it away for free. The r33 is not build to us standards, similarly to how the r32 and r34 isn't. They're not any different and all required modifications, the only difference is that the r33 has the necessary testing and paperwork. If someone is willing to import 10+ r32s and r34s to perform the tests, therefore destroying them, then they would also be potentially legal to import. The entire process is a lot more complicated then you guys make it out to be. After research, i found that the most efficient way to import them would be to register it as a kit car. In order to do so the motor ****** and body would have to be dissassembled then imported. Although, there is also a problem with this method because technically the skyline doesn't classify as a kit car, although Ive seen many success stories

FFS.

I be trying to read this damn paragraph and I see this !*$ shaking vicariously at me?

Back
Top Bottom