Wrestling Thread June 2-15 | 6/12 WWE Releases 10 Talents, JTG Still Employed

Take a trip back to a memorable timeline in sports entertainment with the most important stories reported as fact in the journalistic world of pro wrestling dirt sheets.

Following the timeline of the last Dirt Sheet History looking back at April 2006, we get a glimpse into the top scoops from May of 2006. We dive into the news getting ready for ECW One Night Stand 2, start to see the signs of Kurt Angle’s body breaking down and get all the juicy gossip on the Batista vs. Booker T fight.

Reminder that you can find all editions of Dirt Sheet History looking at 2004 and 2005 right here at this very link. Now enjoy May 2006!

5/1/2006

* Kurt Angle is said to be showing more and more signs of wear and tear from the business. He has cut back dramatically on prescription pain killers, but he has been feeling the effects from it. He lives with constant pains, but is looking to tough it out.

5/2/2006

* SLAM! Wrestling reports that JBL will challenge Rey Mysterio at Judgment Day for the WWE Championship.

In a related story, more reports indicate that JBL will face Rob Van Dam at the ECW One Night Stand pay-per-view. While not confirmed, look for RVD to cash in his money in the bank contract for a chance to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

5/3/2006

* The overall reaction amongst WWE employees on Joey Styles’ promo from last night was one of absolute shock. Apparently, many people in the company share the same views as Styles voiced in his promo on RAW last night, but would never speak out against Vince McMahon. Everyone was surprised that Vince and Stephanie would allow material of that nature to air live on RAW.

5/5/2006

* According to Dave Meltzer, the decision is final and John Cena will be Rob Van Dam’s opponent in the main event match at the ECW One Night Stand PPV this June.

Apparently WWE will be using this opportunity to officially turn John Cena heel after being booed by fans for months. It also appears that this will be when RVD will cash in his “Money In The Bank” title shot, thus indicating that Cena will continue to retain the WWE Heavyweight Championship.

5/6/2006

* New Jack cut a promo at an independent show in Pittsburgh, PA Thursday night that he had signed a contact with WWE for their ECW project. According to sources within the WWE locker room, there is no truth to those claims.

5/7/2006

* TNA has agreed to terms with legendary wrestling manager Jim Cornette. Formerly the head man of Ohio Valley Wrestling, Cornette is best known for cutting outstanding promos. His character in TNA will be some type of “authority figure” role.

Many critics are raving about the acquisition, given Cornette’s promo abilities; he’s definitely a huge asset for TNA.

5/8/2006

* WWE has pulled Kurt Angle off the road and off any scheduled shows for the time being. WWE wants to give Angle some time to recover. Angle is in constant pain from neck problems, something he may need to deal with for the rest of his career. Sources close to Angle say that his injuries are considered to be worse than Steve Austin’s. Austin retired from wrestling due to neck problems and even now is hesitant to return for even one match in risk of damaging his neck further or paralysis.

Recently during the European tour, Angle was spotted having trouble lifting his luggage. He then openly admitted that he is in debilitating pain. Despite that, he never gave any inclination of “wanting” time off. He knows he’s a big draw on the WWE cards, so he wanted to finish all scheduled matches before asking for some vacation time. Management grew so worried of Angle’s situation they insisted he be sent home for rest and relaxation.

5/9/2006

* No word on if the following was shoot or if its a work.

From WWE.com:

SmackDown Superstars Batista and Booker T got into a knockdown, drag-out fight Monday afternoon on the set of World Wrestling Entertainment’s SummerSlam commercial shoot in Encino, California. Director of WWE Television Promotions, John Gaburick, tells WWE.com the fight broke out during the filming of a scene in the commercial which will be used to promote SummerSlam later this year. “The fight lasted at least five minutes, it was a brutal, bloody, vicious affair,” says Gaburick. “It took JBL, Mark Henry, Chris Benoit, Finlay and road agent Ricky Steamboat to finally break things up.”

Gaburick says, “Both men were banged up pretty good, both men were bloodied up.” After the fight, Booker T and Batista went behind closed doors to try and clear the air. Gaburick says both Booker T and Batista finished their required work on the commercial before leaving the set. When asked what the fight was about, Gaburick would only say “it’s a personal issue between two men.”

5/10/2006

* Henry reported here at Rajah that according to another WWE.com article, the fight between Booker T and Batista at a SummerSlam commercial shoot in Anaheim, CA was in fact legitimate. Through various backstage sources we can now confirm that that is correct. The reason that it was originally thought to be a work was because of the “new direction” taken by WWE.com, making the official site an extremely unreliable news source.

Heat has been building between Booker and Batista for quite awhile, largely because Batista rubbed a lot of people the wrong way during his championship run. Critics of Batista backstage say that he presented the “I have carried the company on my back” attitude and that he was the big draw. This along with Batista feeling like that he did not get the proper respect that he deserved.

A number of SmackDown talents that we have heard from have said that they are happy with what Booker T did and that several of them hugged and high-fived him after hearing of the incident.

5/12/2006

* WWE has already sent DX commercials to cable systems around the country and abroad. Shawn Michaels and Triple H are expected to reunite live on TV within the next three weeks. This is expected to be a short reunion during Triple H’s hunt for the title and Shawn Michaels feud against McMahon.

5/14/2006

* John Cena is said to be having fun with the crowd boos. He has been patted on the back for staying persistent and even “regaining” fans during the current program with Triple H. Cena got a good reaction from fans during the tour of California, which worked out great with merchandise sales.

Vince McMahon is said to be the most impress with sales of John Cena Merchandise. Most insiders say that this is the reason why Vince is so hesitant in turning Cena heel. McMahon wants to do nothing dramatic that could affect Cena and his current “workaholic” work ethic in the long run. Plus he doesn’t want to see those sales dwindle.

5/15/2006

* In the locker room, Booker T is looked at as a good guy. Batista is known to be a Triple H “suck up” and some what aloof after his big title push. There was said to be problems even before he made a name for himself in WWE. Stemming before the Evolution days, Batista was known to be a bit cocky. While training in Ohio Valley Wrestling, he was often vocal about certain training techniques. Arguing that due to his age and level of development, most techniques didn’t apply to him.

Booker T is known as a stand up guy backstage. He is a down to earth guy and of course is respected with so much seniority in the business over most of the wrestlers backstage. He is often spotted with small groups of friends after events or just hanging out with the boys back in his hotel room.

Booker and Batista wrote about the incident on WWE.com. They used both real and unreal aspects of the story, as mandated, so that writers can later spin this into an actual angle on WWE TV. Booker’s real life wife and current WWE valet, Sharmell, was said to have gotten involved in the incident as well, verbally, at the end of the scuffle.

Other close sources in WWE say that Batista hadn’t been seen in a while since he’s recovering from an injury and he isn’t quite the draw many let on he is. So for Batista this may have been a “respect” issue, while for Booker it was more of a “respect where respect is due” issue.

5/17/2006

* During Saturday’s WWE house show in El Paso, Texas, Booker T‘s wife Sharmell and Melina were involved in a backstage fight. The fight came about due to Melina’s recent relationship with Batista. She has received major heat backstage in recent months for her relationship with Batista and her attitude. JBL was the one who broke up the fight between Sharmell and Melina.

5/18/2006

* Booker T‘s victory in the fight with Batista has earn him extra lockerroom respect. One source stated that Booker T dominated Batista due to having more street fighting experience.

Booker T did take a very personal verbal shot at Batista, however, one source said that it did not come until the situation became very heated. No one blames Booker T for what he did, as the general feeling backstage is that Batista has become very arrogant since wining the World Title.

Batista does not carry himself backstage like Triple H or The Undertaker, but he does act superior to midcard veterans who have yet to receive a main-event opportunity as he did.

5/21/2006

* The card for ECW One Night Stand is beginning to take some shape. Here are some matches in the making so far. RVD vs. John Cena, Terry Funk & Tommy Dreamer vs. Mick Foley & Edge (w/Lita), Sabu vs. Justin Credible, and possibly Sandman vs. JBL. Sandman, however, has told some people that he has no idea who his opponent at the show will be. Sandman worked some indy shows recently and is said to be a good shape leading into the show.

5/22/2006

* During a face-to-face confrontation with WWE Champion John Cena tonight on RAW, Rob Van Dam announced that he will cash in his “Money In The Bank” contract for a shot at Cena and the Title at ECW One Night Stand on June 11 in New York City.

5/27/2006

* There’s an interview with Vince McMahon over on WWE.com talking about the relaunch of Extreme Championship Wrestling. In it, McMahon discusses his high hopes for the upcoming third brand of the company and sounds like he has very high expectations.

5/29/2006

* Mr. McMahon gave Paul Heyman two draft picks for ECW – one from RAW and one from SmackDown. With his RAW pick, Heyman took RVD. And with his pick from SmackDown, Heyman chose a Superstar that embodies the new vision of ECW – Kurt Angle. The general feeling is that ECW could be a very successful brand and a great television show if Paul Heyman is given full creative control.

- Tune back in next time for the June edition of Dirt Sheet History as we see what happens as ECW One Night Stand 2 takes place and the rebirth of ECW begins.

Stories are credited from Rajah, PWTorch, PWInsider and The Wrestling Observer. Month name photo art is by Phillip Martin.

Past editions of Dirt Sheet History are found here.

I'm gonna read the whole thing, but I just had to :rofl: :rofl: @:

"Apparently WWE will be using this opportunity to officially turn John Cena heel after being booed by fans for months."

Ziggler's Sleeper doesn't connect with me because he is usually about the same height as the folks that he generally wrestles against and seeing him leave his feet for it just makes him seem like a sucka. If it was on the ground, cool, but that move, the way he does it, seems like something a person Rey or Kalitso's size should do.

SmCMTYd.jpg

Just got done watching SD & Impact, a few notes

Impact:

- Kenny King, he's that annoying dude in high school that never shuts the **** up and pushes people's buttons, then when you see dude get washed it's one of the greatest moments of your life.

- MVP being Black HHH is meh.

- shame that Shovel didn't sign The Wolves..they are good man.

- this show needed some X-Division action, they should let Sanada and that Tigre Uno dude light it up again

- I know he wasn't on this show, but can Crazy Steve actually wrestle?

- Dreamer been eatin good.

- Magnus & Bram are being wasted in TNA

- they really put the World Title on Bobby Bathturd :smh: :lol: every time they start to get interesting, they Sin Cara it all to hell.

- Bobby Roode is being wasted in TNA

SD:

- once again Seth looks like he'd fit right in if he got thrown into the world of Mass Effect, and his theme still sucks

- Not diggin Dean's struggle Stone Cold theme

- Why must they do the same "every participant interrupts the other" promo when MITB approaches?

- I noticed...they seem to be taking a The Rock approach when it comes to Reigns' theme. As in retaining the theme of his former faction and it gets tweaked slightly every once in a while.

- Bo is STILL the funniest dude in the wrestling biz :lol: everything he does is hilarious. A Bo/Rock or a Bo/Stone Cold segment NEEDS to happen.

- I like Rose, but man why did they have to do Titus dirty like that :smh: dude is mad underrated

- This show needed Stardust

- Dolph even gets buried when he wins :smh: :lol:

- say what you want about Reigns but dude has IT. The presence that dude has is insane man. He's only going to get better going forward.

Just got done watching SD & Impact, a few notes

Impact:

SD:

Kenny King is my guy but I burst out laughing when Angle punched him to the floor :lol:.

Who is Bram?

It's crazy how the X-Division used to be the best part of the show that you had no doubt every match would be good to great, and now the majority of them amount to Velocity matches that range from rate gems to nothing special.

I think TNA has gotten all they can get out of Roode. He has the man for a bit and I think he's peaked as a character. It's crazy cause when I was really into TNA early on, I didn't feel like Roode could be a main event type guy, especially in his initial singles run in that crappy feud he had with Booker T. They did a great job of building him up during and after Beer Money though.

Magnus definitely needs to find his way to the WWE soon. He's only 27 and has the look, size, and mic skills they look for, and shouldn't have to change his moveset up much. He needs to make that move before he's 34 with too much TNA stench on him and has to spend 3 years on NXT.

Last edited:
11 Superstars on the matches that changed their lives

Cody Rhodes vs. John Morrison: SmackDown, April 30, 2010
“Long after The Legacy, I wrestled John Morrison in my SmackDown debut after I’d been drafted. I was incredibly depressed, personally and professionally, and I’d been given an opportunity to be on a brand-new brand. I remember thinking, ‘I’m gonna go out there and drive my body like it’s somebody else’s car. I’m gonna just go for it.’“I knew I was going to try some things that I’d never tried before, and I was OK with it. I was OK with testing what natural ability I had — the natural ability people have thought I’d had for a long time. I was OK riding blind. It was the first time I did the Disaster Kick. It was the first time I confidently did an Alabama Slam. And I would become 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes a few weeks later.” — CODY RHODES

John Cena vs. Kurt Angle: SmackDown, June 27, 2002
“The match that changed my life was my first match. As the outreach of NXT grows and grows, WWE developmental is changing. A lot of times, NXT Superstars are already recognized by the time they get to WWE. In the days of yore, developmental was just that. You were like a Minor League Baseball player. People might have known of you, but they knew very little about you. Once you made it on TV and had an official debut it was like, ‘OK, I’m on TV now. The legwork of getting to television is over. The story is now truly beginning.’“It wasn’t the match itself, or the body of the match, it was the fact that it happened. It’s not that I was more or less accepted backstage. I didn’t have a sense of entitlement, achievement or acceptance. I knew I had a start. And if you look back, it was an improper start, but a start nonetheless. It just didn’t work. The situation I was put in wasn’t the right time. I would soon evolve into something extremely different and go from there. But the most important thing about it was it was a beginning. You can’t have a good story without a beginning.” — JOHN CENA

Daniel Bryan vs. Nigel McGuinness — ROH Title Unification Match: Unified, Aug. 12, 2006
“My No. 1 match that changed wrestling for what it shouldn’t be is a match against Nigel [McGuinness] that I had in England, and I consider it one of my best matches. I grabbed his arms and pulled him into the post. Once. Twice. Three times. I gave it one more. I pull him in and WHACK. He bled so much. It was his home country and people were going nuts for him. It was such an emotionally charged match, it was just awesome.“But, the negatives of that, he had this big welt on his face. The next day, his eyes were all bloodshot. The blood had just drained down. The price that Nigel paid for that match was not worth the reaction that we got. It sold a ton of DVDs and did a lot for an independent company, but if you were to ask Nigel now if that was a good idea, I guarantee you he would say, ‘no.’“After that, safety became of the utmost importance.” — DANIEL BRYAN

Bad News Barrett vs. Justin Gabriel vs. David Otunga: WWE NXT, June 1, 2010
“On the final episode of NXT Season 1, there were three of us left. It was myself, Justin Gabriel and David Otunga. We had a Triple Threat Match as the finale. We were put to the test and had a lot more time than we were used to on that show. We were thrown out there as three unknown guys, and we put in quite a solid performance. Most of the NXT show was actually pre-recorded, but the finale was live. There was a bit of added pressure on us being that we were on live TV.“David Otunga got eliminated quite early, and after that, it was just me and Justin Gabriel, and we put on some really good stuff. I thought it was a very exciting match, and ultimately I won. That was very important in the path of me winning NXT, and subsequently becoming the leader of Nexus.” — BAD NEWS BARRETT

Big E vs. Jack Swagger: SmackDown, May 10, 2013 :smh:
“The match that changed my life was a match on a SmackDown leading up to my first World Heavyweight Title defense on a pay-per-view. During a match between Big E and Swagger, Alberto Del Rio introduced a ladder and slid it into the middle of the ring. We both looked at each other and went for the ladder. I, being the much better athlete, was much quicker and got there faster. Unfortunately, Jack Swagger kicked me in the head as I was trying to pick up the ladder. I don’t remember anything after that.“From that point forward, I was diagnosed with a concussion and did not defend my title. At the next pay-per-view where I was able to compete, I lost my one and only defense to Alberto Del Rio at WWE Payback in Chicago.” — DOLPH ZIGGLER

Seth Rollins vs. Nigel McGuinness — ROH World Championship Match: Take No Prisoners 2008
“The match that changed my life was me versus Nigel McGuinness, my first shot at the Ring of Honor World Title. It was in Philadelphia, Pa., at the National Guard Armory. Nigel was a world-traveled, top-of-the-line, first-class professional wrestler. I was 21 years old and really had no idea what I was doing. I had just broken into Ring of Honor. I hadn’t quite been established yet. At that point, I had been there for maybe six months, and Nigel took this guy who had just gotten started, but had a bit of a following, and made him a star in one match.“It was a huge educational process for me, just learning the beauty and the art form of what we do. It doesn’t necessarily have to be hero versus villain, but it was about a young, hungry up-and-comer against a veteran who’s the standard of a company. Feeling the momentum of that match, from the beginning until the very end, was something I’ll never forget.“When I came out of it, I had such a greater understanding of what professional wrestling could really do to an audience. To be a part of that is something that is fairly indescribable. You can’t compare it to just seeing it.” — SETH ROLLINS

Rob Van Dam vs. Dan Kroffat — AJPW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Super Power Series 1995 — Tag 15; Rob Van Dam vs. Bam Bam Bigelow — ECW World Television Championship: April 4, 1998
“I wrestled Danny Kroffat for All Japan Pro Wrestling at the Budokan in Tokyo in 1995. This was the match where I elevated my understanding to a whole new level of what we were doing out there and how the crowd reacts to everything when it’s all done in the right order. Danny Kroffat was the master.“As far as my connection with the crowd, it was the match where I beat Bam Bam Bigelow for the TV Title. [Bam Bam and I] would really take it to each other, and that’s what ECW was about. After that, I was again on a whole new level, because the fans treated me like I was a huge star and screamed ‘R-V-D’ with a different kind of passion than they ever did before.“Paul [Heyman] told me after that, the fans were going to treat me differently. And he was right.” — ROB VAN DAM

Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat vs. The Enforcers — WCW Tag Team Championship: Clash of the Champions XVII, Nov. 19, 1991; Goldust vs. Savio Vega — Intercontinental Championship Match: Madison Square Garden Live Event, Jan. 26, 1996
“In the early days as Dustin Rhodes in WCW, a match where I felt like I was really doing well was me & Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zbyszko & Arn Anderson for the WCW Tag Team Titles. It was in Savannah, Ga., at Clash of the Champions. Everything just clicked. I felt good about everything I did in the ring, and I guess it showed. The people were hot. They were loud and as crazy as could be. One of the loudest crowds I’ve ever seen. I have not heard a Savannah crowd like that since. Maybe it was just that moment for me.“Those guys were my teachers. There were five guys that were my teachers: Barry Windham, Bobby Eaton, Arn Anderson, Larry Zbyszko and Ricky Steamboat. Those five guys taught me everything I know in the business and I’m indebted to them.“As Goldust, I wrestled Savio Vega in Madison Square Garden where I put an exclamation point on the Goldust persona. That was really born when I decided to do some of the more risqué stuff to Savio Vega. I didn’t want to at the time, because I was struggling. I wasn’t used to the Goldust suit yet. I finally agreed, because we were in the Garden, sold out. It was crazy. I scurried out of the ring and Savio chased me. People hated that, they went nuts. It was way before it’s time.” — GOLDUST

Jack Swagger vs. Tyson Kidd — Lumberjack Match: FCW, Nov. 13, 2007; Jack Swagger vs. Christian — ECW Championship Match: Backlash 2009
“When I broke into the business, I had no professional background. It was all amateur wrestling and football. I had been to a couple of shows, but the first time I actually got to touch a wrestling ring was on my tryout. I could do the technique, but I couldn’t see how to put a match together. I struggled at that. The trainer, Bill DeMott, was like, ‘Eventually, one day, the light bulb is going to come on and everything is gonna click.’“I had a match with Tyson Kidd at FCW. It was the first time I main-evented a show down there. Tyson is amazing, but in that match, I felt everything. I felt the emotion and the intensity, and after that, everything was like a snowball effect. I had a lot of momentum. It was a cool feeling. I remember sitting backstage and feeling, ‘This is what it’s supposed to be.’ And this was a small show at a community center.“A big match in my career, I’ll always look back at this, was the ECW Championship Match I had against Christian back at Backlash. It was the first big-time match I had. I’d had a couple of good ones, but this was really good. The crowd was biting on everything, and I heard the big reactions for the first time. It was like, ‘Oh, we had ‘em.’ I always look back at that match as a stepping-off point like it was, ‘OK, now it’s time to run. Put the gas pedal down and let’s go.’” — JACK SWAGGER

Kofi Kingston vs. Carlito — United States Championship Match: Raw, Aug. 9, 2009
“For me, the match that changed my life was definitely when I got the opportunity to wrestle Carlito at a series of Live Events and also on TV a little bit. When I was coming up, I was confident, but I was still very nervous.“Carlito was Caribbean Cool in the ring and also cool in the locker room. He was a very underrated ring leader and ring general. It wasn’t until after I got done wrestling him that I thought, ‘You know what, if things don’t go the way you want them to go, it’s completely fine. They’ll go somewhere else, and they’ll be great.’ That was when I started to be a lot more comfortable in the ring — when I wrestled Carlito.” — KOFI KINGSTON

Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre — Last Man Standing IWW International Heavyweight Title Match: Irish Whip Wrestling, June 17, 2006
“The match that changed my life was a match I had against Drew McIntyre in Balbr****n for Irish Whip Wrestling, where I had been training for a while. I’d only been wrestling six or eight months, maybe. Drew McIntyre and I had been wrestling each other back and forth across Ireland and Scotland.“We’d had this Last Man Standing Match with about 400 or 500 people in this bingo hall in Balbr****n in north county Dublin. The energy of the crowd never stopped the whole time. Everything we did had this incredible feeling where we’d go back and forth and the crowd was hanging on every pin and every move.“That’s when I really felt it. Before, I was so nervous. That was the first time where I started to relax.” — SHEAMUS

Dixie Carter kneeing him in the nuts was kinda awesome. Next week he better punch her in the boob or cooch.

11 Superstars on the matches that changed their lives

Cody Rhodes vs. John Morrison: SmackDown, April 30, 2010
“Long after The Legacy, I wrestled John Morrison in my SmackDown debut after I’d been drafted. I was incredibly depressed, personally and professionally, and I’d been given an opportunity to be on a brand-new brand. I remember thinking, ‘I’m gonna go out there and drive my body like it’s somebody else’s car. I’m gonna just go for it.’“I knew I was going to try some things that I’d never tried before, and I was OK with it. I was OK with testing what natural ability I had — the natural ability people have thought I’d had for a long time. I was OK riding blind. It was the first time I did the Disaster Kick. It was the first time I confidently did an Alabama Slam. And I would become 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes a few weeks later.” — CODY RHODES
John Cena vs. Kurt Angle: SmackDown, June 27, 2002
“The match that changed my life was my first match. As the outreach of NXT grows and grows, WWE developmental is changing. A lot of times, NXT Superstars are already recognized by the time they get to WWE. In the days of yore, developmental was just that. You were like a Minor League Baseball player. People might have known of you, but they knew very little about you. Once you made it on TV and had an official debut it was like, ‘OK, I’m on TV now. The legwork of getting to television is over. The story is now truly beginning.’“It wasn’t the match itself, or the body of the match, it was the fact that it happened. It’s not that I was more or less accepted backstage. I didn’t have a sense of entitlement, achievement or acceptance. I knew I had a start. And if you look back, it was an improper start, but a start nonetheless. It just didn’t work. The situation I was put in wasn’t the right time. I would soon evolve into something extremely different and go from there. But the most important thing about it was it was a beginning. You can’t have a good story without a beginning.” — JOHN CENA
Daniel Bryan vs. Nigel McGuinness — ROH Title Unification Match: Unified, Aug. 12, 2006
“My No. 1 match that changed wrestling for what it shouldn’t be is a match against Nigel [McGuinness] that I had in England, and I consider it one of my best matches. I grabbed his arms and pulled him into the post. Once. Twice. Three times. I gave it one more. I pull him in and WHACK. He bled so much. It was his home country and people were going nuts for him. It was such an emotionally charged match, it was just awesome.“But, the negatives of that, he had this big welt on his face. The next day, his eyes were all bloodshot. The blood had just drained down. The price that Nigel paid for that match was not worth the reaction that we got. It sold a ton of DVDs and did a lot for an independent company, but if you were to ask Nigel now if that was a good idea, I guarantee you he would say, ‘no.’“After that, safety became of the utmost importance.” — DANIEL BRYAN
Bad News Barrett vs. Justin Gabriel vs. David Otunga: WWE NXT, June 1, 2010
“On the final episode of NXT Season 1, there were three of us left. It was myself, Justin Gabriel and David Otunga. We had a Triple Threat Match as the finale. We were put to the test and had a lot more time than we were used to on that show. We were thrown out there as three unknown guys, and we put in quite a solid performance. Most of the NXT show was actually pre-recorded, but the finale was live. There was a bit of added pressure on us being that we were on live TV.“David Otunga got eliminated quite early, and after that, it was just me and Justin Gabriel, and we put on some really good stuff. I thought it was a very exciting match, and ultimately I won. That was very important in the path of me winning NXT, and subsequently becoming the leader of Nexus.” — BAD NEWS BARRETT
Big E vs. Jack Swagger: SmackDown, May 10, 2013
mean.gif
“The match that changed my life was a match on a SmackDown leading up to my first World Heavyweight Title defense on a pay-per-view. During a match between Big E and Swagger, Alberto Del Rio introduced a ladder and slid it into the middle of the ring. We both looked at each other and went for the ladder. I, being the much better athlete, was much quicker and got there faster. Unfortunately, Jack Swagger kicked me in the head as I was trying to pick up the ladder. I don’t remember anything after that.“From that point forward, I was diagnosed with a concussion and did not defend my title. At the next pay-per-view where I was able to compete, I lost my one and only defense to Alberto Del Rio at WWE Payback in Chicago.” — DOLPH ZIGGLER
Seth Rollins vs. Nigel McGuinness — ROH World Championship Match: Take No Prisoners 2008
“The match that changed my life was me versus Nigel McGuinness, my first shot at the Ring of Honor World Title. It was in Philadelphia, Pa., at the National Guard Armory. Nigel was a world-traveled, top-of-the-line, first-class professional wrestler. I was 21 years old and really had no idea what I was doing. I had just broken into Ring of Honor. I hadn’t quite been established yet. At that point, I had been there for maybe six months, and Nigel took this guy who had just gotten started, but had a bit of a following, and made him a star in one match.“It was a huge educational process for me, just learning the beauty and the art form of what we do. It doesn’t necessarily have to be hero versus villain, but it was about a young, hungry up-and-comer against a veteran who’s the standard of a company. Feeling the momentum of that match, from the beginning until the very end, was something I’ll never forget.“When I came out of it, I had such a greater understanding of what professional wrestling could really do to an audience. To be a part of that is something that is fairly indescribable. You can’t compare it to just seeing it.” — SETH ROLLINS
Rob Van Dam vs. Dan Kroffat — AJPW World Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Super Power Series 1995 — Tag 15; Rob Van Dam vs. Bam Bam Bigelow — ECW World Television Championship: April 4, 1998
“I wrestled Danny Kroffat for All Japan Pro Wrestling at the Budokan in Tokyo in 1995. This was the match where I elevated my understanding to a whole new level of what we were doing out there and how the crowd reacts to everything when it’s all done in the right order. Danny Kroffat was the master.“As far as my connection with the crowd, it was the match where I beat Bam Bam Bigelow for the TV Title. [Bam Bam and I] would really take it to each other, and that’s what ECW was about. After that, I was again on a whole new level, because the fans treated me like I was a huge star and screamed ‘R-V-D’ with a different kind of passion than they ever did before.“Paul [Heyman] told me after that, the fans were going to treat me differently. And he was right.” — ROB VAN DAM
Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat vs. The Enforcers — WCW Tag Team Championship: Clash of the Champions XVII, Nov. 19, 1991; Goldust vs. Savio Vega — Intercontinental Championship Match: Madison Square Garden Live Event, Jan. 26, 1996
“In the early days as Dustin Rhodes in WCW, a match where I felt like I was really doing well was me & Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zbyszko & Arn Anderson for the WCW Tag Team Titles. It was in Savannah, Ga., at Clash of the Champions. Everything just clicked. I felt good about everything I did in the ring, and I guess it showed. The people were hot. They were loud and as crazy as could be. One of the loudest crowds I’ve ever seen. I have not heard a Savannah crowd like that since. Maybe it was just that moment for me.“Those guys were my teachers. There were five guys that were my teachers: Barry Windham, Bobby Eaton, Arn Anderson, Larry Zbyszko and Ricky Steamboat. Those five guys taught me everything I know in the business and I’m indebted to them.“As Goldust, I wrestled Savio Vega in Madison Square Garden where I put an exclamation point on the Goldust persona. That was really born when I decided to do some of the more risqué stuff to Savio Vega. I didn’t want to at the time, because I was struggling. I wasn’t used to the Goldust suit yet. I finally agreed, because we were in the Garden, sold out. It was crazy. I scurried out of the ring and Savio chased me. People hated that, they went nuts. It was way before it’s time.” — GOLDUST
Jack Swagger vs. Tyson Kidd — Lumberjack Match: FCW, Nov. 13, 2007; Jack Swagger vs. Christian — ECW Championship Match: Backlash 2009
“When I broke into the business, I had no professional background. It was all amateur wrestling and football. I had been to a couple of shows, but the first time I actually got to touch a wrestling ring was on my tryout. I could do the technique, but I couldn’t see how to put a match together. I struggled at that. The trainer, Bill DeMott, was like, ‘Eventually, one day, the light bulb is going to come on and everything is gonna click.’“I had a match with Tyson Kidd at FCW. It was the first time I main-evented a show down there. Tyson is amazing, but in that match, I felt everything. I felt the emotion and the intensity, and after that, everything was like a snowball effect. I had a lot of momentum. It was a cool feeling. I remember sitting backstage and feeling, ‘This is what it’s supposed to be.’ And this was a small show at a community center.“A big match in my career, I’ll always look back at this, was the ECW Championship Match I had against Christian back at Backlash. It was the first big-time match I had. I’d had a couple of good ones, but this was really good. The crowd was biting on everything, and I heard the big reactions for the first time. It was like, ‘Oh, we had ‘em.’ I always look back at that match as a stepping-off point like it was, ‘OK, now it’s time to run. Put the gas pedal down and let’s go.’” — JACK SWAGGER
Kofi Kingston vs. Carlito — United States Championship Match: Raw, Aug. 9, 2009
“For me, the match that changed my life was definitely when I got the opportunity to wrestle Carlito at a series of Live Events and also on TV a little bit. When I was coming up, I was confident, but I was still very nervous.“Carlito was Caribbean Cool in the ring and also cool in the locker room. He was a very underrated ring leader and ring general. It wasn’t until after I got done wrestling him that I thought, ‘You know what, if things don’t go the way you want them to go, it’s completely fine. They’ll go somewhere else, and they’ll be great.’ That was when I started to be a lot more comfortable in the ring — when I wrestled Carlito.” — KOFI KINGSTON
Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre — Last Man Standing IWW International Heavyweight Title Match: Irish Whip Wrestling, June 17, 2006
“The match that changed my life was a match I had against Drew McIntyre in Balbr****n for Irish Whip Wrestling, where I had been training for a while. I’d only been wrestling six or eight months, maybe. Drew McIntyre and I had been wrestling each other back and forth across Ireland and Scotland.“We’d had this Last Man Standing Match with about 400 or 500 people in this bingo hall in Balbr****n in north county Dublin. The energy of the crowd never stopped the whole time. Everything we did had this incredible feeling where we’d go back and forth and the crowd was hanging on every pin and every move.“That’s when I really felt it. Before, I was so nervous. That was the first time where I started to relax.” — SHEAMUS
Any Dolph matches?

Oh wait.....dude's been buried to oblivion

Any Dolph matches?

Oh wait.....dude's been buried to oblivion

Big E vs. Jack Swagger: SmackDown, May 10, 2013

:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

Last edited:
So dude from my job just trolled me. This man sent me a text last night and said, "Man you need to listen to the Masked Man's Podcast. He talks to Matt Hardy about RoH. Let me know when you listen to it." Man I TOLD this man about this podcast

So dude from my job just trolled me. This man sent me a text last night and said, "Man you need to listen to the Masked Man's Podcast. He talks to Matt Hardy about RoH. Let me know when you listen to it." Man I TOLD this man about this podcast
Well....

Did you listen to it?

It was kind of awkward at the end of the Hardy segment. They were trying to end that part so they could move on. And Fat Hardy just kept rambling on smh

Back
Top Bottom