Wrestling Thread July 25-31 | 7/27 - Cena Wins WWE Title, Cena vs Punk @ SummerSlam to Unify Titles

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Originally Posted by VC3FAN

Cena's reaction (which none of us touched on) was "what the f is he doing here". He was stunned. Didn't backdown but cena showed the emotion of a heel where he looked afraid that he was back. Now, let's not start the heel conspiracies.
Well, I say lets.When you think about it, it was a pretty heelish way to win the title. I mean, why would he wait until the end of the tourny to ask for a title shot? And then to have the nerve to celebrate like you accomplished something? Sounds heelish to me.

I can see where others are coming from regarding the angle.

They give away a guaranteed moneymaking PPV main event in Rey/Cena with a clean ending on free TV. Awesome match, but booking-wise, that was pretty stupid. They have an 8 man tournament, and ultimately the champion ends up someone who wasn't even in the tournament to begin with. They bring Punk back after missing exactly one week, essentially negating both the tournament and the entire angle, putting us right back where we started.

They could have stretched this angle out for weeks. Rey/Cena could have easily sold Summer Slam, with Punk returning then. Or even at the next PPV after they built up his absence for a while.

"They're pulling the trigger way, WAY too fast on all of this." I get that.
And I don't necessarily disagree with that.

There's a part of me that wants to say "Oh, they should've drawn this angle out over the course of months, building to a crescendo at Wrestlemania or at Night of Champions", but #@@* it. Punk is OVER. Why waste that?

Sometimes, you just have to stop playing armchair booker and enjoy moments for what they are. Punk is finally, FINALLY getting an opportunity to be "the guy". The product as a whole feels different, with a greater focus on wrestling and far fewer backstage antics. Think about what I just said. There has been a real focus on WRESTLING. Finally. How awesome is that? And I'll even admit..Cena hasn't felt this fresh or worked this hard in years. Jim Ross is back, too!

We're more or less in the midst of a narrative reboot right now, and the results thus far are extremely promising. No one can sit there and argue that the product hasn't been in desperate need of a facelift for years now. It could all turn to %@#+ next week, but I'm just excited by the fact that Raw has become must-see television again for the first time in ages. WWE has done a great job with this angle so far. Let's watch it play out! I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt on this one.

This.

As cool as it would have been if they drew this angle out longer and kept Punk off TV, you just can't keep someone as red hot as Punk off television for that long.

And another thing is, Punk didn't say a damn word, how is this angle already being condemned?

I'm curious as to what Punk has to say, and for that I am looking forward to next weeks Raw.

The ROH throwback theme
pimp.gif

Isn't this the 9th time Cena has won the WWE title? So damn stupid....
Thats one more than HHH
Two more than The Rock
Three more than Austin

30t6p3b.gif

I think this angle would have been so much better if they had let Cena and Rey main event summerslam, let Cena win THEN punk comes out at the end exactly how he did here

Isn't this the 9th time Cena has won the WWE title? So damn stupid....
Thats one more than HHH
Two more than The Rock
Three more than Austin

30t6p3b.gif

I think this angle would have been so much better if they had let Cena and Rey main event summerslam, let Cena win THEN punk comes out at the end exactly how he did here

I watched Raw again and it really does seem like they're building up to something with Miz regarding this McMahon/HHH/Cena/Punk angle.

And Summerslam would have been amazing going with that ending.

I don't see why it's acceptable to hate on Cena's firing angle from last year and this angle when it's nearly the same issue.

But I'm still marking out and it's still making me tune in for next week.
laugh.gif

This Raw has my mind going everywhere.

I watched Raw again and it really does seem like they're building up to something with Miz regarding this McMahon/HHH/Cena/Punk angle.

And Summerslam would have been amazing going with that ending.

I don't see why it's acceptable to hate on Cena's firing angle from last year and this angle when it's nearly the same issue.

But I'm still marking out and it's still making me tune in for next week.
laugh.gif

This Raw has my mind going everywhere.

The WWE writers can't write for @%*%. Punk "leaves" the company and comes back two weeks later? I'm even getting tired of cena. Would rather see %#@*++$ Hornswoggle win the title. So let me guess...Vince returns next week in a $@%% the institution storyline?

The WWE writers can't write for @%*%. Punk "leaves" the company and comes back two weeks later? I'm even getting tired of cena. Would rather see %#@*++$ Hornswoggle win the title. So let me guess...Vince returns next week in a $@%% the institution storyline?

i doubt Punk will be leaving soon. New music and merchandise with him saying he's back...not likely he leaves anytime soon.

SummerSlam here i come!

i doubt Punk will be leaving soon. New music and merchandise with him saying he's back...not likely he leaves anytime soon.

SummerSlam here i come!

Great Raw....I only wished they would have that Cena vs Rey match on next weeks Raw and save Punk off Raw for one more week...

Great Raw....I only wished they would have that Cena vs Rey match on next weeks Raw and save Punk off Raw for one more week...

Back
Top Bottom