Wrestling Thread July 25-31 | 7/27 - Cena Wins WWE Title, Cena vs Punk @ SummerSlam to Unify Titles

Originally Posted by VC3FAN

In the lyrics ova, they have quotes from JFK

And during the few moments that we have left
We wanna talk right down to Earth in a language that everybody here can easily understand

Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The cult of personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the cult of personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
The cult of personality
The cult of personality

Neon lights, a Nobel prize
Than the mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You won't have to follow me
Only you can set me free

I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your tv
I exploit you, still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
The cult of personality
The cult of personality

When a leader speaks, that leader dies
Only you can set you free (?)

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You gave me power in your god's name
I'm every person you need to be
I'm the cult of personality (I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of)
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of (I'm the cult of)
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of personality (I'm the cult of)
Ask not what your country can do for you

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
Ooooooooh makes sense now

In the lyrics ova, they have quotes from JFK

And during the few moments that we have left
We wanna talk right down to Earth in a language that everybody here can easily understand

Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The cult of personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
The cult of personality
The cult of personality

Than the mirror speaks, the reflection lies
Only you can set me free

I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your tv
I exploit you, still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
The cult of personality
The cult of personality

When a leader speaks, that leader dies
Only you can set you free (?)

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You gave me power in your god's name
I'm every person you need to be
I'm the cult of personality (I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of)
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of (I'm the cult of)
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of personality (I'm the cult of)
Ask not what your country can do for you

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
Ooooooooh makes sense now

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Originally Posted by PLVN

Is this gonna lead to a Vince/Punk vs Hunter/Cena type angle?

A civil war type thing...

I feel like Miz's promo had a little foreshadowing toward that.

I've always thought/hoped this would lead to a Civil War ever since Punk's initial promo ripping the E'.

The way it looks now, it's definitely something they're building towards. I haven't been this invested in a storyline for years.

I can't wait to see how they *%%$ it up.

Originally Posted by PLVN

Is this gonna lead to a Vince/Punk vs Hunter/Cena type angle?

A civil war type thing...

I feel like Miz's promo had a little foreshadowing toward that.

I've always thought/hoped this would lead to a Civil War ever since Punk's initial promo ripping the E'.

The way it looks now, it's definitely something they're building towards. I haven't been this invested in a storyline for years.

I can't wait to see how they *%%$ it up.

Summerslam is the WWE's second biggest PPV of the year, this CM Punk angle maybe rushed but the WWE isn't gonna wait on this opportunity they have in front of them, at the end of the day, it's a business.  I would have preferred Punk coming out during the Cena vs Rey match and just lay out both of them and declare himself the only champion on Raw instead of just come out and pretty much do nothing.  Sets up a 4 way at SSlam with Miz and Rey.  

Summerslam is the WWE's second biggest PPV of the year, this CM Punk angle maybe rushed but the WWE isn't gonna wait on this opportunity they have in front of them, at the end of the day, it's a business.  I would have preferred Punk coming out during the Cena vs Rey match and just lay out both of them and declare himself the only champion on Raw instead of just come out and pretty much do nothing.  Sets up a 4 way at SSlam with Miz and Rey.  

Cena vs. Punk was their main money maker for Summerslam. Yeah it was rushed but who else was Cena going to face?
roll.gif
laugh.gif
 @ people thinking that his new theme is a "new" song. That song's damn near as old as I am.

Cena vs. Punk was their main money maker for Summerslam. Yeah it was rushed but who else was Cena going to face?
roll.gif
laugh.gif
 @ people thinking that his new theme is a "new" song. That song's damn near as old as I am.

Ending was well done. Of course the nostalgic fan would of wanted it to be a longer wait but CM Punk is the best at this. It'll work.

Ending was well done. Of course the nostalgic fan would of wanted it to be a longer wait but CM Punk is the best at this. It'll work.

The show's been off for two hours now.  I stick by my comments that I hate Punk coming back so soon.

The show's been off for two hours now.  I stick by my comments that I hate Punk coming back so soon.

I haven't bought any wrestling merchandise since the B.W.O. shirt from ECW back in the day, but I'd really like to get one of those Punk shirts

I haven't bought any wrestling merchandise since the B.W.O. shirt from ECW back in the day, but I'd really like to get one of those Punk shirts

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]has there been numbers back on MITB buys yet? still curious.
[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]has there been numbers back on MITB buys yet? still curious.
[/color]

Cena's reaction (which none of us touched on) was "what the f is he doing here". He was stunned. Didn't backdown but cena showed the emotion of a heel where he looked afraid that he was back. Now, let's not start the heel conspiracies.
Well, I say lets.When you think about it, it was a pretty heelish way to win the title. I mean, why would he wait until the end of the tourny to ask for a title shot? And then to have the nerve to celebrate like you accomplished something? Sounds heelish to me.

I can see where others are coming from regarding the angle.

They give away a guaranteed moneymaking PPV main event in Rey/Cena with a clean ending on free TV. Awesome match, but booking-wise, that was pretty stupid. They have an 8 man tournament, and ultimately the champion ends up someone who wasn't even in the tournament to begin with. They bring Punk back after missing exactly one week, essentially negating both the tournament and the entire angle, putting us right back where we started.

They could have stretched this angle out for weeks. Rey/Cena could have easily sold Summer Slam, with Punk returning then. Or even at the next PPV after they built up his absence for a while.

"They're pulling the trigger way, WAY too fast on all of this." I get that.
And I don't necessarily disagree with that.

There's a part of me that wants to say "Oh, they should've drawn this angle out over the course of months, building to a crescendo at Wrestlemania or at Night of Champions", but #@@* it. Punk is OVER. Why waste that?

Sometimes, you just have to stop playing armchair booker and enjoy moments for what they are. Punk is finally, FINALLY getting an opportunity to be "the guy". The product as a whole feels different, with a greater focus on wrestling and far fewer backstage antics. Think about what I just said. There has been a real focus on WRESTLING. Finally. How awesome is that? And I'll even admit..Cena hasn't felt this fresh or worked this hard in years. Jim Ross is back, too!

We're more or less in the midst of a narrative reboot right now, and the results thus far are extremely promising. No one can sit there and argue that the product hasn't been in desperate need of a facelift for years now. It could all turn to %@#+ next week, but I'm just excited by the fact that Raw has become must-see television again for the first time in ages. WWE has done a great job with this angle so far. Let's watch it play out! I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt on this one.

This.

As cool as it would have been if they drew this angle out longer and kept Punk off TV, you just can't keep someone as red hot as Punk off television for that long.

And another thing is, Punk didn't say a damn word, how is this angle already being condemned?

I'm curious as to what Punk has to say, and for that I am looking forward to next weeks Raw.

The ROH throwback theme
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom