Wrestling Thread August 15th-20th/ Tonight NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II At 8PM Eastern/ SummerSlam This

Ate at a steak place this dude was at a table by himself stared at me the whole meal. Couldn't enjoy the meat in my mouth while some lonely dude kept staring.

oh crap i forgot i was supposed to link up with @brendasdeadbaby  last night and whip his monkey ***. I was on the upper east side. My fault fam

shoot

my bad

@DCAllAmerican  uhhh shes like 5' 8"

black

natural hair

hates mysogny rap 

thin and think

man im crushing on her b. I gotta keep it cool though

Last edited:
Ate at a steak place this dude was at a table by himself stared at me the whole meal. Couldn't enjoy the meat in my mouth while some lonely dude kept staring.
Was he staring at you or your meat? Stay safe out there

Last edited:
tumblr_o8sb2pcdDL1ql0k28o2_250.gif
tumblr_o8sb2pcdDL1ql0k28o3_250.gif

tumblr_o8sb2pcdDL1ql0k28o5_250.gif
tumblr_o8sb2pcdDL1ql0k28o6_250.gif

Decided to start watching weekly Nitro's from the episode where Hall debuts.

God, the product today is so bad.

Last edited:
Super late pass but I finally finished watching WK10.

Styles/Nakamura and Tanahashi/Okada are definitely MOTY candidates.

Crowd lost their damn mind in the Tanahasi/Okada match.

Sidenote: Where can I watch the G1 matches?

When it comes to a wrestler having every box checked off, Flair was it....  We all know this.

1) The look  
2) In-ring ability 
3) Promo ability 

Those three are the essentials but he also had #4.... extensive wardrobe... 

I'm not talking about wearing the traditional wrestling robes to the ring, no.  I'm talking about the suits, shoes, polo shirts, sweaters, etc... when it was time to talk people into the building...

That always stood out for me...his clothes.    

So, who was the closest to Flair in my opinion? 

The Rock...

I didn't mind the comical promos from the Rock because, naturally at the core of the character , he was an over-the-top  ******* ... so it worked...

Flair repeated a lot of things in his promos ($ , putting over the 4Horsemen, women, championships, cars etc.)  but people didn't give a **** because that was his character at its core. It worked...

The Rock's in-ring is were it suffers compared to Flair's in-ring ability... It's no secret and that's the main reason he's a few notches below Flair for me.
I have to give the edge to The Rock for having the better look compared to Flair IMO. 

Last but not least.... The Rock's wardrobe and that is because it ties into his character at its core.  over-the-top *******

He didn't dress like Flair and he didn't have to.    Since the days of prime Flair, no other wrestler had a sense of fashion until The Rock came into his own...

View media item 2132894

Come on now.   :lol:   :smokin  

I can't argue with any of this..Rock is an all time great and if he's on anyone's top lists for overall character there can't be an argument..He definitely brought a sense of style that hadn't been seen since Flair and I respect him for that..

[h2]THE USUAL SUSPECTS[/h2]
Jim Cornette Experience #140 (8/5/16): A live show from the NWA Legends Fan Fest, featuring Jim, Bobby Fulton, Tom Pritchard, and Sunny answering audience questions. You get some good stories (like how a goof promo ended up getting the Heavenly Bodies booked in the WWE) but a lot of duds as well, as Fulton is a master of telling a story that just stops out of nowhere. Some diamonds here, but as the show goes two hours you’ll have to do some digging to hear them. THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

The Tiki Bar #7 (8/6/16): A bit of a scattershot show, as Tama and Fale head to a steakhouse, talk about the toll the G1 has taken, and catch up with Juice Robinson briefly. Juice talks about chance he took in leaving NXT to come to New Japan, his experiences as a young boy and working the roster, and the progress he’s made. I wish we heard more from Juice; his experience is unique if nothing else. THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

VIP Lounge (8/7/16): It’s Taz! The former Human Suplex Machine joins MVP and Alex for a lengthy chat. Things start off rough as Taz and MVP talk internet trolls. But things perk up with stories of Taz working in Japan and the independent scene of the early 1990’s, along with Taz’s later forays into announcing and podcasting. The pettiness of independent wrestling never ceases to amaze and amuse me. Wasn’t sure about this one, but it’s a good listen.  THUMBS UP

Eastern Lariat #25 & #26 (8/6/16 & 8/8/16): Two shows in two days, Str**** and Dylan continue their trek through the G1, covering days 11-15. But that’s not all, as they also talk about Dramatic Dream Team, All Japan, NOAH, Stardom, HEAT UP, and a lot more. Not only are the extra shows appreciated, but credit for not neglecting the other Japanese federations during G1 season. THUMBS UP

The Card is Going To Change #10 (8/8/16): A bit of a change, as John and Chandler are joined by Aaron Bauer to pay tribute to the departed JT Lightning and his influence on the Cleveland wrestling scene. This is probably the least immediate of these shows, as I don’t know how familiar the average listener will be with JT. But the obvious affection everyone has for the man is touching, and Aaron’s story about Tommy Rich rifling for food at a hotel is pretty hilarious. THUMBS UP

Steve Austin on the WWE Network (8/8/16): Dean Ambrose is the latest guest on Austin’s Network Pod. They discuss everything you would expect: Dean’s adolescence, getting into wrestling, getting hired by the WWE, the Shield, and his ascent to the WWE title. But there’s a weird disconnect between Austin and Ambrose, like Ambrose is a nut Austin just can’t crack. It makes for an interview equal parts intriguing and award. THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

Steve Austin Show #349 (8/9/16): Braun Strowman makes a surprising podcast debut with Steve. They basically talk about two topics – Braun’s strongman days and his wrestling career. The strongman stuff did zip for me as I don’t care about techniques or calorie intake, but the wrestling stuff is a lot better, especially talking starting from scratch and what it’s like to travel when you’re 6’8. Braun comes off as a nice lad. THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

MLW Radio #239 (8/9/16): MSL and Court chew the fat for a few minutes, then they’re joined by Steve Austin to talk about the Bill Watts days of WCW, crowd lighting, authority figures, the state of creative, the Shield, Finn Balor, winning the TV title from Bobby Eaton, being a heel, restrictions wrestlers face these days, and more. It’s an OK discussion, and I appreciate some more esoteric topics being brought up, but Austin’s thoughts on the current product aren’t anything you don’t hear twice a week on his own show. There was a part two, but only for VIP subscribers. THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

The Ross Report #130 (8/9/16): Double the guests this week, as first Shelton Benjamin talks to JR about his torn rotator cuff that derailed his return to the WWE. Then Ross is joined by Ricochet to talk about his high flying style, Lucha Underground, New Japan, wearing a mask, and his future in wrestling. The Ricochet portion is OK, but by the end it feels like Ross is delivering a monologue instead of actually interviewing Ricochet. [Benjamin’s interview starts at 1:44, Richochet’s interview starts at 29:33]THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

Deep Blue Something #3 (8/9/16): Mike and Bryce talk the Olympics, the recent Chikara Hour of Power live special, the Joshi Mania tour they ran five years back, Summerslam memories, working with Lex Luger, and a lot more. The longest show they’ve done (over an hour) but also the best, striking the right balance between interesting backstage stories and unbridled fandom of wrestling.  THUMBS UP

Talk is Jericho #272 (8/10/16): Stuck Mojo members (and Jericho’s bandmates in Fozzy) Rich Ward and Frank Fontsere are here to talk about the band’s new album. I know nothing of Stuck Mojo other than the time I saw their video on Nitro, but for a while the interview is really good, focusing on a young band coming up and the craziness of touring with Pantera. But the whole interview goes too long (the whole show is nearly two hours) and I lost interest by the end as they talked about finding a new lead singer. [Ward and Fontsere’s interview starts at 10:05]  THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

Bischoff on Wrestling #3 (8/10/16): Eric and Nick talk about Joey Styles getting canned by the WWE, Dean Ambrose’s interview on the WWE Network, a potential John Cena heel turn, factions and stables, the New Day, squash matches, and Connor McGregor. Then it’s part two for Magnus as he talks about getting a break against Sting and a lot about wrestling business metrics. It’s a surprisingly boring segment after I enjoyed last week’s part one. Eric also defends his decision to take the masks off of Juventud Guerrera and Rey Mysterio. The whole show is a bit of a snooze.  [Magnus’ interview starts at 36:30]  THUMBS DOWN

Ric Flair Show #6 (8/10/16): Ric and Conrad talk seemingly endlessly about the Conor McGregor controversy before bringing on fellow MLW stablemate Bruce Pritchard. They talk about topics like **** Murdoch, the Austin/Jarrett dynamic in WWE, and a potential late 80’s jump to the WWF for Flair. It’s a fine segment, but too short at under half an hour. And the weird “How to be The Man” promos where Ric tells you how to pick up women over Sade’s “Smother Operator” are…odd. [Pritchard’s interview starts at 14:21]  THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

Art of Wrestling #312 (8/11/16): It’s August, so that means it’s time for the Edingborough Fringe Festival, which in turn means the return of live shows. The first outing sees Colt joined by John Hastings, Chris Gethard, Joe Hendry, and Brendon Burns. So 3 comedians and 1 wrestler in Hendry, although wrestling is touched upon throughout. Your usual mixed bag live show, although I would like Hendry to make a return at some point. THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

The Steve Austin Show – Unleashed! #350 (8/11/16): Sean Waltman makes a return to the show. He and Steve mainly discuss Sean’s relationship with Chyna (with minor odd segues into Roman Reigns’ drug failure and that video of Triple H stopping a fan attack), including the famous One Night in Chyna video, drugs, working for New Japan, and why she belongs in the Hall of Fame. It’s a humanizing look at someone people only associate with scandals and infamy.  THUMBS UP

Keepin’ it 100 #6 (8/11/16): Konnan, Kevin, and Disco are first joined by Juventud Guerrera to talk juicy things, then Kevin Kleinrock to discuss the TripleMania show and the heavy Lucha Underground feel of the show. Then Big Hoodoo plays a sample of his new song before Eric Bischoff talks to Konnan for the first time in 15 years. They talk about WCW and the time Eric challenged Vince to a fight (interesting) and politics (less so). Rey Mysterio then shows up for 5 minutes to chitchat and Shane Helms wraps things up with talk about the Connor McGregor controversy and the recent NWA Legends Fanfest.   Again all of this is in little over an hour, and it’s a bit too chaotic for a full recommendation.THUMBS IN THE MIDDLE

Talk is Jericho #273 (8/12/16): Jericho is joined by a returning Eli Roth and brother Gabe (who doesn’t say much) for a symposium on 80’s teen sex movies. Lots of talk of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Porky’s, Zapped, Screwballs, and more. Roth draws in a lot of obscure film knowledge, like the role Italian cinema played in influencing these films, and this hit me from a nostalgia point. Younger may not get a lot out of it (and may be stunned at what movies used to do), but I enjoyed the show a lot. [The Roth’s interview starts at 5:21]  THUMBS UP

MSL & Sullivan Show (8/12/16): No Nitro review this week, as instead Kevin and MSL dive into the Connor McGregor controversy, taking the side that the wrestlers who have responded are being outworked. There’s also a lengthy mailbag segment where they discuss the WWE’s lack of success with vignettes, the booking of Brock Lesnar, and whether independent wrestlers should learn scripted promos. While there is some content on older wrestling, a good chunk of the show is interesting takes on modern wrestling. THUMBS UP

Something to Wrestle With #2 (8/12/16): Bruce and Conrad quickly run over some current events before heading to the main event – a breakdown of the yearlong Mega Powers explode angle. The break down the genesis of the angle and plot its advancement, with some tangents into Koko B Ware, Jesse Venture, WrestleMania V, and a hilarious burial of Terry Taylor). Credit to Conrad, he’s not afraid to challenge Bruce and bring up controversial topics.  THUMBS UP

The Varsity Club was so great back in the day..Rotunda and Steiner were awesome to watch..Greatly underrated tag team..

View media item 2133284

Im catching up on 85-89 nwa. I was to young to fully appreciate it at the time. Man NWA was loaded with talent. I like how the had somewhat squash matches up to the main events idk just seems right.

A young cornette was gold lmao. Imo mangers need to get on commentary not just stand by ringside like he did lol.

Im catching up on 85-89 nwa. I was to young to fully appreciate it at the time. Man NWA was loaded with talent. I like how the had somewhat squash matches up to the main events idk just seems right.

A young cornette was gold lmao. Imo mangers need to get on commentary not just stand by ringside like he did lol.
Stone Cold talked about this on his podcast with Court Bauer. One thing that goes overlooked about the NWA? The LIGHTING. How everything in the crowd was so dimly lit, that it gave matches big fight feels.

Unlike the WWE, where they just HAVE to highlight who has the coolest shirt and coolest signs.
MLW Episode 239: Steve Austin (part 1)

Steve Austin catches up with old pal Court Bauer and meets Mister Saint Laurent. The guys talk: Finn Balor on top, the new era, the Bauer Tower nearly burns down, the WCW Bill Watts era, color in wrestling, Memphis wrestling, the genius that is Bobby Eaton and more.

Back
Top Bottom