Would a Niketalk Record Label work? Vol this Could Be GENIUS

Good stuff. Been following this thread like a hawk for the past couple days and honestly... I like the idea.

But I feel like there's maybe only a handful of people I would trust with some responsibilities over others. Especially if I were an artist. Not to put anyone down or on a lower tier but frankly some people already do this for their jobs/livelihood.

But the promo idea seems a lot safer/smarter simply because that way there's no real major obligations at first and if people want to help they can. And ultimately it could help fish out the people who are just hyped up in thread from the people who actually want to get their hands dirty.

But yea, we've seen that it's possible i.e:

The Santos show on the 17th.
My son PJ & Bompton working on the SxSW show next year.

Overall, for what it's worth, I like the idea and I'm willing to help however I can.

The idea's been brought up before, but for the first time in the last year or so (Thanks to the convenience/quickness of Twitter) we've seen that people are actually using NT's outlets and networking.

It could be a pioneering idea if done right. Once there's a definite list of people involved then the investment bridge can be crossed.

Good stuff. Been following this thread like a hawk for the past couple days and honestly... I like the idea.

But I feel like there's maybe only a handful of people I would trust with some responsibilities over others. Especially if I were an artist. Not to put anyone down or on a lower tier but frankly some people already do this for their jobs/livelihood.

But the promo idea seems a lot safer/smarter simply because that way there's no real major obligations at first and if people want to help they can. And ultimately it could help fish out the people who are just hyped up in thread from the people who actually want to get their hands dirty.

But yea, we've seen that it's possible i.e:

The Santos show on the 17th.
My son PJ & Bompton working on the SxSW show next year.

Overall, for what it's worth, I like the idea and I'm willing to help however I can.

The idea's been brought up before, but for the first time in the last year or so (Thanks to the convenience/quickness of Twitter) we've seen that people are actually using NT's outlets and networking.

It could be a pioneering idea if done right. Once there's a definite list of people involved then the investment bridge can be crossed.

SXSW 2011 gonna be
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MASERATI HARM

Too many hands and ego's in this cookie jar imo ..

Pretty much. If people can get past not being the Dame Dash's and Jay-Z's of the whole thing then it might work.

Originally Posted by MASERATI HARM

Too many hands and ego's in this cookie jar imo ..

Pretty much. If people can get past not being the Dame Dash's and Jay-Z's of the whole thing then it might work.

I'm dead serious about SXSW. PJ I'll PM you later.

Its funny, the one person that I know thats on here with record company experience and know how is Ben Baller, and I haven't seen his name once.

yep.

Honestly, if you throw showcases and brand them as NT events or something along those lines that's the best revenue generating model. Artists could come in and sell merch and make their $ at the show. Honestly, I wouldnt pay to see but a handful of artists on here (i havent paid for a show in a minute anyway) and the ones i would pay for dont have enough material for them/their management to get them a cut yet.

What ya'll artists need to do is holla at BMI, ASCAP or Sesac and learn about music publishing and your rights. I used to work at a music publishing company before i got laid off...and there's definite cake...my boss was a millionaire a few times over...and that's just off being the middle man administrating the stuff. Own your publishing. especially now with 360 deals they're gonna want piece of it to compensate for the loss of potential album sales.

A NT record label...i was being pompous in my other post...but ya'll have NO idea what it takes to run a label. Shoot, I dont know everything and I've been at some of your favorite labels. Think about it like this...an investor gives a 50K check (hypothetically)...you're gonna have to have legal, finance, marketing (traditional/digital), publicity, creative (video, art, graphic design), A&R, radio promo, tour management...not to mention IT and all that. IMO, every part is needed but the most crucial (IMO) are

1. ) A&R. They're literally the backbone of a label since they sign acts which in turn generate the most $, beat selection, getting samples cleared all that..it's more than just hanging with an artist in the studio and surfing myspace lookin for cats with a buzz...

2. ) Marketing: they direct the artists direction, image wise and in this industry climate, they pair artists up with brands who can put $ into the artist. Labels now love brands more than before because they get a bigger cut from a 360 deal than they did from "old deals". Shoot, Moet sponsored a Dream listening session I attended.....+%* was wild...but yeah...

3. ) Radio promo: they make sure artists are heard in top markets basically. This is straight foot solider status to there mailing with CDs, One sheets and artist info are all sent out and followed up on. The game is corrupt now since DJs want $ to spin certain relations or its striaght relationship based (this is the norm) but if you aint on the radio and you're on a major, it's a detriment....this affects your BDS and most likely your soundscan.

4. ) Legal...ALL labels have legal cases pending against them or money that they own an artists. Legal can also clear samples from publishing companies. This about it. Ye's "Late Registration" budget was 2 Mil from what I heard...with that body of work and how ill the album was..you can bet a ton of that went into clearing samples. They can also renegotiate contracts with people and give them points on the album.

5. ) Finance is the most important bar none. I know a SVP of Mechanical Licensing...she told me that A&R depends solely on Finance and if you think about it, it makes sense. The label has their budgets set like 6-8, if not a year in advance....they need to continually make cake or they're dead...If finance gives the OK, they not have budgets to sign that dude bubbling in his and other markets and sign him. he's a raw talent but his advance will cover helping him find his sound in the studio, image, pr training, living costs as he preparing the album release...keep in mind the advance is a LOAN. aint nothing free...especially from Label people. Labels typically take between 85-87 percent of album sales...this is why Drakes deal was revolutionary. If i remember correct, he keeps 75% of his sales or something...and now the 360 takes piece of merch, tour, outside branding $, all that. All of this depends on $..so all this depends on your finance department's books.

I just make the music industry sound peachy and (semi) easy to understand..but there's parts i didnt touch on. it's a dirty game where I've seen women come to NY and turn into straight b----- simply because it's a male dominated game...ive seen talented artists languish on labels that dont care because they aint a priority (Young Chris on Def Jam)...I've seen a lot...and i aint even 25...ya'll cats would be starstruck working with some of these artist ya'll proposing....ya'll wanna run a label, you gotta get past petty bickering about your favorite artist and start thinking profitability. Wiz would make a GREAT pull for a show..Big Sean not so much...because he cant perform.

I'm dead serious about SXSW. PJ I'll PM you later.

Its funny, the one person that I know thats on here with record company experience and know how is Ben Baller, and I haven't seen his name once.

yep.

Honestly, if you throw showcases and brand them as NT events or something along those lines that's the best revenue generating model. Artists could come in and sell merch and make their $ at the show. Honestly, I wouldnt pay to see but a handful of artists on here (i havent paid for a show in a minute anyway) and the ones i would pay for dont have enough material for them/their management to get them a cut yet.

What ya'll artists need to do is holla at BMI, ASCAP or Sesac and learn about music publishing and your rights. I used to work at a music publishing company before i got laid off...and there's definite cake...my boss was a millionaire a few times over...and that's just off being the middle man administrating the stuff. Own your publishing. especially now with 360 deals they're gonna want piece of it to compensate for the loss of potential album sales.

A NT record label...i was being pompous in my other post...but ya'll have NO idea what it takes to run a label. Shoot, I dont know everything and I've been at some of your favorite labels. Think about it like this...an investor gives a 50K check (hypothetically)...you're gonna have to have legal, finance, marketing (traditional/digital), publicity, creative (video, art, graphic design), A&R, radio promo, tour management...not to mention IT and all that. IMO, every part is needed but the most crucial (IMO) are

1. ) A&R. They're literally the backbone of a label since they sign acts which in turn generate the most $, beat selection, getting samples cleared all that..it's more than just hanging with an artist in the studio and surfing myspace lookin for cats with a buzz...

2. ) Marketing: they direct the artists direction, image wise and in this industry climate, they pair artists up with brands who can put $ into the artist. Labels now love brands more than before because they get a bigger cut from a 360 deal than they did from "old deals". Shoot, Moet sponsored a Dream listening session I attended.....+%* was wild...but yeah...

3. ) Radio promo: they make sure artists are heard in top markets basically. This is straight foot solider status to there mailing with CDs, One sheets and artist info are all sent out and followed up on. The game is corrupt now since DJs want $ to spin certain relations or its striaght relationship based (this is the norm) but if you aint on the radio and you're on a major, it's a detriment....this affects your BDS and most likely your soundscan.

4. ) Legal...ALL labels have legal cases pending against them or money that they own an artists. Legal can also clear samples from publishing companies. This about it. Ye's "Late Registration" budget was 2 Mil from what I heard...with that body of work and how ill the album was..you can bet a ton of that went into clearing samples. They can also renegotiate contracts with people and give them points on the album.

5. ) Finance is the most important bar none. I know a SVP of Mechanical Licensing...she told me that A&R depends solely on Finance and if you think about it, it makes sense. The label has their budgets set like 6-8, if not a year in advance....they need to continually make cake or they're dead...If finance gives the OK, they not have budgets to sign that dude bubbling in his and other markets and sign him. he's a raw talent but his advance will cover helping him find his sound in the studio, image, pr training, living costs as he preparing the album release...keep in mind the advance is a LOAN. aint nothing free...especially from Label people. Labels typically take between 85-87 percent of album sales...this is why Drakes deal was revolutionary. If i remember correct, he keeps 75% of his sales or something...and now the 360 takes piece of merch, tour, outside branding $, all that. All of this depends on $..so all this depends on your finance department's books.

I just make the music industry sound peachy and (semi) easy to understand..but there's parts i didnt touch on. it's a dirty game where I've seen women come to NY and turn into straight b----- simply because it's a male dominated game...ive seen talented artists languish on labels that dont care because they aint a priority (Young Chris on Def Jam)...I've seen a lot...and i aint even 25...ya'll cats would be starstruck working with some of these artist ya'll proposing....ya'll wanna run a label, you gotta get past petty bickering about your favorite artist and start thinking profitability. Wiz would make a GREAT pull for a show..Big Sean not so much...because he cant perform.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

It would make more sense as simply a promo company...

We've seen the work done to put togeather the #NT showcase here (in NY), along with what PJ was able to do with bringin midwest Ns out to SD and this was all within the past 5/6 months...

If everyone got on the same page, and we broke it down into regions (East/Mid-West/South/West Coast) and made it a mission to book ATLEAST 4 shows ea quarter (1 per region) we could try that model out. It wouldn't have to be JUST #NT rappers tho (but they will be the primary focus)...

But it would take is a Dom/Wale type cat to headline said event/shows because they would be able to bring their own fanbase and along with the people we can attract through the many avenues of networking... That would be the ticket seller, then we can put those fans on to the other talent #NT has to offer from said region, and @ the sametime be able to sell tickets because of known artist being on the bill...

Then via Ns like illPhill/Haze/Cartune/ILLIONARE/BFA/100KBloggers dude/Sosa we can use their networks to bring a few bigwigs from their label they're working for/or affiliated with to come down and see the show... And it wouldn't even really have to be a bigwig, as long as it someone with influence that's @ a label that matters their word could provide an oppurtunity for someone else to further their dreams...

Everyone would play an active role in promoting the events in their region, weather they are performin or not even attending, something as simple as posting the event on FaceBook and inviting their friends... That's not too much trouble for ANYone... We have Graphic Designers on here so the flyers could be made, and look appealing enuff for someone to give the event a chance, and THAT'S another reason why Dom/Wale being down would help, cause if nothing else, someone would wanna see them as a headliner...

Also we can attempt to book some of NTs fav new artist, for ex. like a Wiz who could help sell tickets in any region, havin a TIME, Wes Duce, How E Stacks, Floss etc open for him would be successful because I think his fans would dig their music or Vado that could help sell somewhere in the east, and have Hi-Jynx, Rhyme-Sik type cats open... Then in the south & west do the same thing, but in ea show be able to shuffle one of the more popular acts from another region within the #NT structure into the next to spread their popularity beyond just one region.

I'm not too savy on that side of the business when it comes to certain artists booking prices, and the price for the venue, but obviously we prolly won't have the funds to match up with what they'll usually get, but if we're able to throw 2 or 3 successful shows in ea region someone will notice, and until then we could offer to give the headliners half of their normal booking fee, and a percentage off of ticket sales (10 to 15%)

The most important thing would be using the blogs for promo, obviously the RealTalkNY, TSS guys are on here, along with a few other popular blogs, as long as we can get a site with influence to promote these shows I think we could pack a venue...

Just my thoughts...

#kanyeshrug
I agree with your idea of booking shows in multiple regions. However, instead of having one show in each region it would benefit the promoter(s) to  have multiple shows in the region because it will allow them to get a cheaper price on the artist's performance fee as well as allow them to split travel costs.
For example the highest concentration of NTers is in CA and in the Northeast US. Routing multiple stops through Cali or multiple dates in NY/PA/CT will bring the show cost down and have a good # of NTers who might be interested in attending the shows and getting word out to their friends.

If anyone in Texas (ESPECIALLY Houston or Dallas), Arkansas, Louisiana or Oklahoma might be interested in doing something similar. Hit the PM box. 
nerd.gif

And if you're in Texas, come through to Austin on Labor Day weekend and catch DOM Kennedy w/ Hollywood FLOSS and Howard Flozstello. 

39796_687369953195_25408656_39014830_5022209_n.jpg

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

It would make more sense as simply a promo company...

We've seen the work done to put togeather the #NT showcase here (in NY), along with what PJ was able to do with bringin midwest Ns out to SD and this was all within the past 5/6 months...

If everyone got on the same page, and we broke it down into regions (East/Mid-West/South/West Coast) and made it a mission to book ATLEAST 4 shows ea quarter (1 per region) we could try that model out. It wouldn't have to be JUST #NT rappers tho (but they will be the primary focus)...

But it would take is a Dom/Wale type cat to headline said event/shows because they would be able to bring their own fanbase and along with the people we can attract through the many avenues of networking... That would be the ticket seller, then we can put those fans on to the other talent #NT has to offer from said region, and @ the sametime be able to sell tickets because of known artist being on the bill...

Then via Ns like illPhill/Haze/Cartune/ILLIONARE/BFA/100KBloggers dude/Sosa we can use their networks to bring a few bigwigs from their label they're working for/or affiliated with to come down and see the show... And it wouldn't even really have to be a bigwig, as long as it someone with influence that's @ a label that matters their word could provide an oppurtunity for someone else to further their dreams...

Everyone would play an active role in promoting the events in their region, weather they are performin or not even attending, something as simple as posting the event on FaceBook and inviting their friends... That's not too much trouble for ANYone... We have Graphic Designers on here so the flyers could be made, and look appealing enuff for someone to give the event a chance, and THAT'S another reason why Dom/Wale being down would help, cause if nothing else, someone would wanna see them as a headliner...

Also we can attempt to book some of NTs fav new artist, for ex. like a Wiz who could help sell tickets in any region, havin a TIME, Wes Duce, How E Stacks, Floss etc open for him would be successful because I think his fans would dig their music or Vado that could help sell somewhere in the east, and have Hi-Jynx, Rhyme-Sik type cats open... Then in the south & west do the same thing, but in ea show be able to shuffle one of the more popular acts from another region within the #NT structure into the next to spread their popularity beyond just one region.

I'm not too savy on that side of the business when it comes to certain artists booking prices, and the price for the venue, but obviously we prolly won't have the funds to match up with what they'll usually get, but if we're able to throw 2 or 3 successful shows in ea region someone will notice, and until then we could offer to give the headliners half of their normal booking fee, and a percentage off of ticket sales (10 to 15%)

The most important thing would be using the blogs for promo, obviously the RealTalkNY, TSS guys are on here, along with a few other popular blogs, as long as we can get a site with influence to promote these shows I think we could pack a venue...

Just my thoughts...

#kanyeshrug
I agree with your idea of booking shows in multiple regions. However, instead of having one show in each region it would benefit the promoter(s) to  have multiple shows in the region because it will allow them to get a cheaper price on the artist's performance fee as well as allow them to split travel costs.
For example the highest concentration of NTers is in CA and in the Northeast US. Routing multiple stops through Cali or multiple dates in NY/PA/CT will bring the show cost down and have a good # of NTers who might be interested in attending the shows and getting word out to their friends.

If anyone in Texas (ESPECIALLY Houston or Dallas), Arkansas, Louisiana or Oklahoma might be interested in doing something similar. Hit the PM box. 
nerd.gif

And if you're in Texas, come through to Austin on Labor Day weekend and catch DOM Kennedy w/ Hollywood FLOSS and Howard Flozstello. 

39796_687369953195_25408656_39014830_5022209_n.jpg

Def. will be at SxSw 2011, and Ciph4 and PJ know what their doing

Blackmangus - i agree with your post on the record label

Def. will be at SxSw 2011, and Ciph4 and PJ know what their doing

Blackmangus - i agree with your post on the record label

BlackMagnus = One of those handful of people on here who I know knows somethin' about this industry.

Back
Top Bottom