Would a Niketalk Record Label work? Vol this Could Be GENIUS

Originally Posted by donpoppa

yeah we have a lot of members but remember the 1% rule.

rule number applies automatically cus when we start pushing said artist we aint gon be like , yeah we post on the same sneaker site lol
we gotta pick a name we can all agree on "_____ Music Group" something like dat

Originally Posted by donpoppa

yeah we have a lot of members but remember the 1% rule.

rule number applies automatically cus when we start pushing said artist we aint gon be like , yeah we post on the same sneaker site lol
we gotta pick a name we can all agree on "_____ Music Group" something like dat

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by ErvinSB91

Originally Posted by young dr0

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]not even trying to pessimistic but i just don't think it would ever work.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]then the sheer fact that so many parties are involved & the distance from said parties.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]all business can't be conducted through the internet.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]and who is to say **Pick an artist** would want to be signed to **Whatever y'all call it** ?[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]Then the second money get's involved it's going to be ... "I did this ... shouldn't I get a cut of the 500 ringtones **WHOEVER** sold?"[/color]
QFT
tired.gif
I have to agree also, money is the major thing at the end of the day. Nobody wants to work for their health when they got responsibilities.

My suggestion tho would be to have it under one umbrella, but have different regions where no region has any say in the business sorts of the other region i.e. The Mid-West can't tell the East Coast to push G.O.D. or T.I.M.E (that's a lot of periods for two names
laugh.gif
) over Henz0 or another East Coast artist.

For it to work, it would have to be 1umbrella, 4 regions, and x amount of districts in said regions assigned to particular artists/producers.

yeah there alot of kinks to sort, imma see how we can organize this and we can do a group video chat conference sometime this week

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by ErvinSB91

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]not even trying to pessimistic but i just don't think it would ever work.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]then the sheer fact that so many parties are involved & the distance from said parties.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]all business can't be conducted through the internet.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]and who is to say **Pick an artist** would want to be signed to **Whatever y'all call it** ?[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 204, 255)]Then the second money get's involved it's going to be ... "I did this ... shouldn't I get a cut of the 500 ringtones **WHOEVER** sold?"[/color]
QFT
tired.gif
I have to agree also, money is the major thing at the end of the day. Nobody wants to work for their health when they got responsibilities.

My suggestion tho would be to have it under one umbrella, but have different regions where no region has any say in the business sorts of the other region i.e. The Mid-West can't tell the East Coast to push G.O.D. or T.I.M.E (that's a lot of periods for two names
laugh.gif
) over Henz0 or another East Coast artist.

For it to work, it would have to be 1umbrella, 4 regions, and x amount of districts in said regions assigned to particular artists/producers.

yeah there alot of kinks to sort, imma see how we can organize this and we can do a group video chat conference sometime this week

You've gotta understand that the foundation has already been set with Ciph4, AGtheKid and myself bringing NT artists to shows across the country....

+ a #NT SXSW Showcase next year is gonna be a gooood look.

You've gotta understand that the foundation has already been set with Ciph4, AGtheKid and myself bringing NT artists to shows across the country....

+ a #NT SXSW Showcase next year is gonna be a gooood look.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Originally Posted by HankTrill

Secret Society Records

G.o.d Jewels

Henz0

Qualmes

Top 40 Shawty

Rilla

A&R'S

Cartune

Illionaire

Optimus Prime

Ninjahood(east Coast only lol)

Blogs

youheardthatnew

realtalknewyork

Street teams in damn near every region of the country

Chicago

L.A

Miami

New york

Atlanta

Indiana

Toronto

Washington

Houston

***San Francisco (added)

I mean 60K + Members ....Producers,Rappers blogs ...street teams .....Whats stopping this from happening!?!?!?!!? put some $ down and we shoot videos and chill on worldstar,vlad,onsmash etc .... 0_o

also if this does happen Eddostarr drops first
smile.gif

roll.gif

get off that _
smh.gif

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Originally Posted by HankTrill

Secret Society Records

G.o.d Jewels

Henz0

Qualmes

Top 40 Shawty

Rilla

A&R'S

Cartune

Illionaire

Optimus Prime

Ninjahood(east Coast only lol)

Blogs

youheardthatnew

realtalknewyork

Street teams in damn near every region of the country

Chicago

L.A

Miami

New york

Atlanta

Indiana

Toronto

Washington

Houston

***San Francisco (added)

I mean 60K + Members ....Producers,Rappers blogs ...street teams .....Whats stopping this from happening!?!?!?!!? put some $ down and we shoot videos and chill on worldstar,vlad,onsmash etc .... 0_o

also if this does happen Eddostarr drops first
smile.gif

roll.gif

get off that _
smh.gif

It would make more sense as simply a promo company...

We've seen the work done to put togeather the #NT showcase here (in NY), along with what PJ was able to do with bringin midwest Ns out to SD and this was all within the past 5/6 months...

If everyone got on the same page, and we broke it down into regions (East/Mid-West/South/West Coast) and made it a mission to book ATLEAST 4 shows ea quarter (1 per region) we could try that model out. It wouldn't have to be JUST #NT rappers tho (but they will be the primary focus)...

But it would take is a Dom/Wale type cat to headline said event/shows because they would be able to bring their own fanbase and along with the people we can attract through the many avenues of networking... That would be the ticket seller, then we can put those fans on to the other talent #NT has to offer from said region, and @ the sametime be able to sell tickets because of known artist being on the bill...

Then via Ns like illPhill/Haze/Cartune/ILLIONARE/BFA/100KBloggers dude/Sosa we can use their networks to bring a few bigwigs from their label they're working for/or affiliated with to come down and see the show... And it wouldn't even really have to be a bigwig, as long as it someone with influence that's @ a label that matters their word could provide an oppurtunity for someone else to further their dreams...

Everyone would play an active role in promoting the events in their region, weather they are performin or not even attending, something as simple as posting the event on FaceBook and inviting their friends... That's not too much trouble for ANYone... We have Graphic Designers on here so the flyers could be made, and look appealing enuff for someone to give the event a chance, and THAT'S another reason why Dom/Wale being down would help, cause if nothing else, someone would wanna see them as a headliner...

Also we can attempt to book some of NTs fav new artist, for ex. like a Wiz who could help sell tickets in any region, havin a TIME, Wes Duce, How E Stacks, Floss etc open for him would be successful because I think his fans would dig their music or Vado that could help sell somewhere in the east, and have Hi-Jynx, Rhyme-Sik type cats open... Then in the south & west do the same thing, but in ea show be able to shuffle one of the more popular acts from another region within the #NT structure into the next to spread their popularity beyond just one region.

I'm not too savy on that side of the business when it comes to certain artists booking prices, and the price for the venue, but obviously we prolly won't have the funds to match up with what they'll usually get, but if we're able to throw 2 or 3 successful shows in ea region someone will notice, and until then we could offer to give the headliners half of their normal booking fee, and a percentage off of ticket sales (10 to 15%)

The most important thing would be using the blogs for promo, obviously the RealTalkNY, TSS guys are on here, along with a few other popular blogs, as long as we can get a site with influence to promote these shows I think we could pack a venue...

Just my thoughts...

#kanyeshrug

It would make more sense as simply a promo company...

We've seen the work done to put togeather the #NT showcase here (in NY), along with what PJ was able to do with bringin midwest Ns out to SD and this was all within the past 5/6 months...

If everyone got on the same page, and we broke it down into regions (East/Mid-West/South/West Coast) and made it a mission to book ATLEAST 4 shows ea quarter (1 per region) we could try that model out. It wouldn't have to be JUST #NT rappers tho (but they will be the primary focus)...

But it would take is a Dom/Wale type cat to headline said event/shows because they would be able to bring their own fanbase and along with the people we can attract through the many avenues of networking... That would be the ticket seller, then we can put those fans on to the other talent #NT has to offer from said region, and @ the sametime be able to sell tickets because of known artist being on the bill...

Then via Ns like illPhill/Haze/Cartune/ILLIONARE/BFA/100KBloggers dude/Sosa we can use their networks to bring a few bigwigs from their label they're working for/or affiliated with to come down and see the show... And it wouldn't even really have to be a bigwig, as long as it someone with influence that's @ a label that matters their word could provide an oppurtunity for someone else to further their dreams...

Everyone would play an active role in promoting the events in their region, weather they are performin or not even attending, something as simple as posting the event on FaceBook and inviting their friends... That's not too much trouble for ANYone... We have Graphic Designers on here so the flyers could be made, and look appealing enuff for someone to give the event a chance, and THAT'S another reason why Dom/Wale being down would help, cause if nothing else, someone would wanna see them as a headliner...

Also we can attempt to book some of NTs fav new artist, for ex. like a Wiz who could help sell tickets in any region, havin a TIME, Wes Duce, How E Stacks, Floss etc open for him would be successful because I think his fans would dig their music or Vado that could help sell somewhere in the east, and have Hi-Jynx, Rhyme-Sik type cats open... Then in the south & west do the same thing, but in ea show be able to shuffle one of the more popular acts from another region within the #NT structure into the next to spread their popularity beyond just one region.

I'm not too savy on that side of the business when it comes to certain artists booking prices, and the price for the venue, but obviously we prolly won't have the funds to match up with what they'll usually get, but if we're able to throw 2 or 3 successful shows in ea region someone will notice, and until then we could offer to give the headliners half of their normal booking fee, and a percentage off of ticket sales (10 to 15%)

The most important thing would be using the blogs for promo, obviously the RealTalkNY, TSS guys are on here, along with a few other popular blogs, as long as we can get a site with influence to promote these shows I think we could pack a venue...

Just my thoughts...

#kanyeshrug

I nominate myself for VP of Marketing or Publicity. Im either 1 or 2 degrees of separation from people who matter in this industry...not to mention those I know personally. I do it for a living lol

Ya'll worrying about blogs..ya'll need to get publicity that matters. Shoot, my artist Eric Sosa was featured on Time.com (yes, the magazine's website) . Blogs are a means to an end and honestly half of them cats, its about relationships and who they like like most things...but blogs to me are only good for "testing the product"..sorta like how Radio used to be....the hardest part about blogs is figuring out which ones matter..personally I mess with Nahright, COD,RTNY,UHTN, Stuff Fly People Like and I'm a huge fan of Smoking Section as a lifestyle site. As far as media outreach, you gotta use blogs in the beginning but as your catalog expands, you should worry more about interviews, reviews, features, etc. Bloggers are cool and all..but a lotta them _s take their "power" and think they run %@$. I respect that it's their choice to post music (I have a lifestyle site so I post stuff at my discretion as well) but a lotta them cats stay online too much with this exaggerated sense of identity. You need them, but if you're hot and making heat rock, the demand will speak for itself. At least that's my opinion.

(Three artists on NT with standout marketing potential to me are Jynx, Jewels and Illi. And of course I rep Eric Sosa and could get him down, performance wise.. Image wise, i think Illi has the total package. If ya'll three aint got management ya'll should cause ya'll could make noise. 

Any marketing effort should be dual sided because it doesnt make sense for the industry to know you, but the streets dont or the streets know you and the industry doesnt. I'm literally everywhere and IDGAF about talking to anybody. You're looking at someone who once tried to give Jay-z my business card (long story) I'm cool with the people you need to know and this is why I backup my phone weekly. 

Far as marketing, ya'll need to f with some brands to put some $ up. The business model for the industry has changed beyond even what some of you all can understand. These liquor companiesand clothing brands are ALWAYS looking for the next guy. Look at Rocawear's 15 page ad in the newest XXL with Trey...he's about to drop an album that Atlantic is touting as being a career definer. I've gotta some good placements for my client. It's not even about labels backin cats...if they see you already got a brand/team behind you, they're more inclined to mess with you. You need someone with a stellar track record to be that liaison. Ahem.....

I mess with a few of ya'll on here..but I wanna link up with this cat IllPhillip in person. I respect his track record and view of the industry and think he's a real stand up guy. 

Tooting my own horn aside, we should make a thread about industry developments similar to what we did a while back. No gossip or asking cats inside info about their favorite rappers, just real talk. 

What's this about an NT SXSW showcase? I'm dead serious. PM me, w/e

I nominate myself for VP of Marketing or Publicity. Im either 1 or 2 degrees of separation from people who matter in this industry...not to mention those I know personally. I do it for a living lol

Ya'll worrying about blogs..ya'll need to get publicity that matters. Shoot, my artist Eric Sosa was featured on Time.com (yes, the magazine's website) . Blogs are a means to an end and honestly half of them cats, its about relationships and who they like like most things...but blogs to me are only good for "testing the product"..sorta like how Radio used to be....the hardest part about blogs is figuring out which ones matter..personally I mess with Nahright, COD,RTNY,UHTN, Stuff Fly People Like and I'm a huge fan of Smoking Section as a lifestyle site. As far as media outreach, you gotta use blogs in the beginning but as your catalog expands, you should worry more about interviews, reviews, features, etc. Bloggers are cool and all..but a lotta them _s take their "power" and think they run %@$. I respect that it's their choice to post music (I have a lifestyle site so I post stuff at my discretion as well) but a lotta them cats stay online too much with this exaggerated sense of identity. You need them, but if you're hot and making heat rock, the demand will speak for itself. At least that's my opinion.

(Three artists on NT with standout marketing potential to me are Jynx, Jewels and Illi. And of course I rep Eric Sosa and could get him down, performance wise.. Image wise, i think Illi has the total package. If ya'll three aint got management ya'll should cause ya'll could make noise. 

Any marketing effort should be dual sided because it doesnt make sense for the industry to know you, but the streets dont or the streets know you and the industry doesnt. I'm literally everywhere and IDGAF about talking to anybody. You're looking at someone who once tried to give Jay-z my business card (long story) I'm cool with the people you need to know and this is why I backup my phone weekly. 

Far as marketing, ya'll need to f with some brands to put some $ up. The business model for the industry has changed beyond even what some of you all can understand. These liquor companiesand clothing brands are ALWAYS looking for the next guy. Look at Rocawear's 15 page ad in the newest XXL with Trey...he's about to drop an album that Atlantic is touting as being a career definer. I've gotta some good placements for my client. It's not even about labels backin cats...if they see you already got a brand/team behind you, they're more inclined to mess with you. You need someone with a stellar track record to be that liaison. Ahem.....

I mess with a few of ya'll on here..but I wanna link up with this cat IllPhillip in person. I respect his track record and view of the industry and think he's a real stand up guy. 

Tooting my own horn aside, we should make a thread about industry developments similar to what we did a while back. No gossip or asking cats inside info about their favorite rappers, just real talk. 

What's this about an NT SXSW showcase? I'm dead serious. PM me, w/e

for real man you dudes can't be a record label. you need contracts and lawyers and distribution and all that @**%

it works better as a promotional/marketing group. build buzz and promote your team of artists. unless you get contracts written up and have a large chunk of money to start there aint no "label"

for real man you dudes can't be a record label. you need contracts and lawyers and distribution and all that @**%

it works better as a promotional/marketing group. build buzz and promote your team of artists. unless you get contracts written up and have a large chunk of money to start there aint no "label"

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

I agree it should be more a promo company / type of thing ... those who want to volunteer their time and services (production, graphic designs, etc.) then do it.  And maybe when the artist get to a certain point they would show love on the money tip.  Or if someone used their finances to back the idea then of course they should see a piece.

And you pretty much killed your own idea.  I don't see an artist that would draw significant interest taking half of their normal booking fee plus that 10-15%.  Then these shows take money to throw.  Most times promoters take the loss just to put on a good show.  Four shows a quarter.  Who is trying to take that loss?

What I think would be better is if we could put something together similar to the "Leaders of the New Cool" shows? They went to major cities ... shows were about $10 / each to get in ... but they had a variety of ppl in the industry. The ATL show had Dom Kennedy, Stalley, Alleyboy, Laws, Yung LA, Mikkey Halsted to name a few.  I only came to see Dom and some other ppl only came to see Alleyboy & LA (b/c we were in Atl) and then other artists caught their ears.

I just think we need someone to show love and headline for free ... or at an extreme discount.  Reach out to Wale, Dom, Lil B ... someone who is established.  Then find other artists who are up-and-coming who wouldn't mind doing a free show or who doesn't charge as much b/c they aren't as established. 

I also agree w/ K about Jewels, iLLi & Jynx ... I think iLLi is the total package & I think Jewels is building his own brand and already has a presence online that iLLi seems to lack right now ... but these guys need to be pushed ...

I agree it should be more a promo company / type of thing ... those who want to volunteer their time and services (production, graphic designs, etc.) then do it.  And maybe when the artist get to a certain point they would show love on the money tip.  Or if someone used their finances to back the idea then of course they should see a piece.

And you pretty much killed your own idea.  I don't see an artist that would draw significant interest taking half of their normal booking fee plus that 10-15%.  Then these shows take money to throw.  Most times promoters take the loss just to put on a good show.  Four shows a quarter.  Who is trying to take that loss?

What I think would be better is if we could put something together similar to the "Leaders of the New Cool" shows? They went to major cities ... shows were about $10 / each to get in ... but they had a variety of ppl in the industry. The ATL show had Dom Kennedy, Stalley, Alleyboy, Laws, Yung LA, Mikkey Halsted to name a few.  I only came to see Dom and some other ppl only came to see Alleyboy & LA (b/c we were in Atl) and then other artists caught their ears.

I just think we need someone to show love and headline for free ... or at an extreme discount.  Reach out to Wale, Dom, Lil B ... someone who is established.  Then find other artists who are up-and-coming who wouldn't mind doing a free show or who doesn't charge as much b/c they aren't as established. 

I also agree w/ K about Jewels, iLLi & Jynx ... I think iLLi is the total package & I think Jewels is building his own brand and already has a presence online that iLLi seems to lack right now ... but these guys need to be pushed ...

But you gotta consider the fact that the #NT showcase here (in NY) was primarily set up by one or two cats from what I understand... If we had 5 or 6 people put fourth the SAME effort and funds he was able to use to make that show possible it could be a success... And then have the same thing in each region... In most cases these guys are gonna book shows regardless, weather it be NT rappers or anyone else that can pack a show...
Ns just gotta be willing to sacrifice and take that risk, Donald Trump went bankrupt a few times, you don't go broke playin it safe... You also don't get paid playin it safe... And anyone thats booking shows understands its far from a get rich quick scheme, its somethin that takes time, once you throw a great show or 2, as long as its someone people care to see, Ns goin come out... plus in NY theres many places to go where you can get a good price... Everything aint gotta be downtown, or in lower Manhattan... Its spots uptown that will more than welcome the business, and be willing to work with a N...

I'm not talkin about booking TI or Jay Z and offering them 10% of tickets prices, I'm talkin a N like Wiz/Big Sean who one of my homeboys man brought to Columbus with street money... And I know its Ns on my block, that I rub shoulders with thats tryin break away from hustlin and gettin legit paper... All the street *### Ns talk on here, I'm sure they gotta know a few Ns in that position... These Ns be spendin 3-4K on fireworks every July 4th AND they Dominican 
laugh.gif

You can't say:

I don't see an artist that would draw significant interest taking half of their normal booking fee plus that 10-15%.

Then say:

I just think we need someone to show love and headline for free ... or at an extreme discount.  

But you gotta consider the fact that the #NT showcase here (in NY) was primarily set up by one or two cats from what I understand... If we had 5 or 6 people put fourth the SAME effort and funds he was able to use to make that show possible it could be a success... And then have the same thing in each region... In most cases these guys are gonna book shows regardless, weather it be NT rappers or anyone else that can pack a show...
Ns just gotta be willing to sacrifice and take that risk, Donald Trump went bankrupt a few times, you don't go broke playin it safe... You also don't get paid playin it safe... And anyone thats booking shows understands its far from a get rich quick scheme, its somethin that takes time, once you throw a great show or 2, as long as its someone people care to see, Ns goin come out... plus in NY theres many places to go where you can get a good price... Everything aint gotta be downtown, or in lower Manhattan... Its spots uptown that will more than welcome the business, and be willing to work with a N...

I'm not talkin about booking TI or Jay Z and offering them 10% of tickets prices, I'm talkin a N like Wiz/Big Sean who one of my homeboys man brought to Columbus with street money... And I know its Ns on my block, that I rub shoulders with thats tryin break away from hustlin and gettin legit paper... All the street *### Ns talk on here, I'm sure they gotta know a few Ns in that position... These Ns be spendin 3-4K on fireworks every July 4th AND they Dominican 
laugh.gif

You can't say:

I don't see an artist that would draw significant interest taking half of their normal booking fee plus that 10-15%.

Then say:

I just think we need someone to show love and headline for free ... or at an extreme discount.  

Ya'll talking about booking shows....Its all negotiations. That's it. You bring an artist with a draw, the spot just wants to know that they'll be taken care of. I've done shows with venues who've let people come in for free as long as they reach a bar guarantee and that's all they look for most of the time. AND depending on how you approach them, they might give you a kickback on any surplus after they reach the guarantee. 

The problem with a lotta Ns is that the artists DONT promote themselves enough. So it's like you got a show, and the main promoter loses $ because this idiot artist doesnt let anyone know he's performing....and doesnt let REAL press know where he's gonna be at. I say real press because it's a lotta cats running around with cameras thinking they're legit photogs just cuz they post pics on Twitter and FB or their Tumblr

Ya'll talking about booking shows....Its all negotiations. That's it. You bring an artist with a draw, the spot just wants to know that they'll be taken care of. I've done shows with venues who've let people come in for free as long as they reach a bar guarantee and that's all they look for most of the time. AND depending on how you approach them, they might give you a kickback on any surplus after they reach the guarantee. 

The problem with a lotta Ns is that the artists DONT promote themselves enough. So it's like you got a show, and the main promoter loses $ because this idiot artist doesnt let anyone know he's performing....and doesnt let REAL press know where he's gonna be at. I say real press because it's a lotta cats running around with cameras thinking they're legit photogs just cuz they post pics on Twitter and FB or their Tumblr

You can't say:

Then say:

I knew that would get quoted ... emphasis on free & extreme discount ... like I originally said I don't see anyone talking that huge off a cut ...

I need to talk to PJ ... I could def hellp back one of the Atl shows ... I need to talk numbers though.

... All the street *### Ns talk on here, I'm sure they gotta know a few Ns in that position...
It's NT you already know n's is a whole lotta talk.

Back
Top Bottom