[::WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD: 2 Weeks Away From Pre-Season::]

^^
smokin.gif

Apparently the deal "hit a snag", TOR doesn't have enough $$ to sign him outright, and he can't be involved in a S&T from ORL because he hasn't been there long enough.....................its whatever tho, I'm kinda over this offseason already, just bring shannon back/OR bring in LIN, and sign a useful PF/C and I'm good

Los Angeles Lakers: Grading the NBA Champion's Offseason So Far
By Jon Star on July 20, 2010

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
The Los Angeles Lakers, fresh off winning their second straight NBA title, head into next season seeking to complete the rare three-peat.  The 2000-2002 Lakers were the last team to complete the feat, but now the very veteran Kobe Bryant will lead his team as it seeks to notch the fourth three-peat of Phil Jackson's career and put an iron-clad stamp on their recent run of success.But even championship teams undergo changes in the off-season, and the Lakers are no different. The Lakers have made moves in the off-season to improve parts of their roster.They allowed previous players to leave and/or simply released ineffective parts of their roster. That is because if the Lakers aren't doing anything, then they aren't improving. But do these moves make the grade? That's why we're here to grade each move of the Lakers off-season.

Keepng Phil Jackson

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
Phil Jackson was the architect of the Lakers last three-peat and its certainly debatable that the Lakers' chance at another hinged on Jackson's return.

After self-reflection and a physical examination, Jackson decided to return to Los Angeles in the beginning July.

Jackson provides the proper leadership and coaching mind for a focused veteran team that's aiming to continue its track of the last two seasons. Without him, the Lakers' chances at another title decrease and nearly impossible to deny. Keeping the winningest coach in NBA history on the sidelines is always a huge positive.

GRADE: A

Signing Steve Blake

Chris Graythen/Getty Images
The Lakers used their mid-level exception very wisely with addition of Steve Blake. The veteran point guard not only fills a need on the depth chart, but he is a smart ball handler, strong defender, and quality perimeter shooter.  All three are logical and ideal fits for the Lakers bench.

GRADE: A-

Resigning Derek Fisher

The Lakers resigned what they consider to be the heart and soul of their team by inking Derek Fisher to a three-year, $10.5 million contract.

Fisher will be 36 at the start of the season and has a limited role in the Lakers offense, but he took less money to remain in Los Angeles and keep a measure of continuity in the locker room.

Age very well could become a factor before his new contract expires which drops the grade a bit, but it is a win in the short term for a team looking no further than 2010-2011.

GRADE: B+

Letting Adam Morrison Walk

Lakers fans may be bummed they can no longer watch Adam Morrison's facial hair grow on the bench, but the Lakers made the right move by showing the door to one of the league's biggest draft busts in recent memory. 

Morrison will take his two title rings and go look for work elsewhere while the Lakers likely filled his small void through the draft.

GRADE: B (because he really wasn't valuable and this was expected)

Losing Jordan Farmar

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
The Lakers knew they weren't going to keep all three of their free agent point guards. In that mix, it was Jordan Farmar who left for New Jersey and the $12 million over three years. 

The Lakers are in good shape though after bringing in Blake with another move to come. 

Farmar wanted more playing time and that is something the Lakers could not guarantee.  The Lakers lost valuable playoff and championship experience, but mitigated it with other signings.

GRADE: B-

Grading The Lakers Draft

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
The Lakers only had two second round picks in this June's draft, but they made the most out of it. The selection of Devin Ebanks with the 43rd overall pick gives them a very solid wing player who can shoot from the perimeter and at 6'8'' he gives the Lakers rangy size. 

Derrick Caracter is more of a wild card given his behavioral red flags in college and concerns about his weight stability. However, he can serve as the Lakers battering ram by providing muscle and strength in the paint as a compliment to Paul Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

Both fill specific needs on the roster and both enjoyed good showings during the Summer League.

GRADE: B

Resigning Shannon Brown

Shannon Brown opted out of his two-year contract to seek more money on the open market. In the end, however, it appears that Brown will be headed back to Los Angeles. 

The Lakers have the rights to pay Brown upwards of the mid-level exception, but will likely bring him back cheaper to fill a similar role had over the last few seasons.

Brown, who averaged a career-high 8.1 points per game last season, will likely get more money than the $2.1 million he made last year but will not get the added playing time he seeks.

His return is a win for the Lakers who needed to bolster their depth chart at guard even if it means paying a little more.

GRADE: B+

Keeping The Championship Core Together

The Lakers didn't have many pieces to fill in the off-season, but what they did reap the benefits of was keeping their title team together while the rest of the Western Conference took body blows.

Utah lost Carlos Boozer and Kyle Korver. The Suns lost Amar'e Stoudemire. All the big free agents headed eastward, leaving the Lakers as the currently unchallenged favorites to once again come out of the Western Conference.  Addition by others subtraction for the Lakers.

GRADE: A-

http://bleacherreport.com...ding-the-teams-offseason

Does anyone know why Sports Illustrated didn't do a championship pack this year?  They did one for the Blackhawks, and Duke, they did one for us last year, why not this season? 
smh.gif

Originally Posted by thachosen123

So brown is officially re-signed?
nerd.gif

That article is pretty much saying he's back, but no confirmation at all.  He could do a last minute change of heart.
grin.gif

^
laugh.gif
THIS.

I REALLY hope Character makes the team. Another complementary big man man when Drew goes down again.

If lakers get brown back, sign our two draft picks, and sign a nice role player.. thats good.

Im hearing A.I, Tmac, and Shaq, and Matt Barnes... all thats nice, but hey, if we can't get them, we gotta make on..

Buss told Mitch he can spend more than the 1.8 mil if he can lock down a good vet, so lets see how thinhs pan out

Originally Posted by 8CP1708

Does anyone know why Sports Illustrated didn't do a championship pack this year?  They did one for the Blackhawks, and Duke, they did one for us last year, why not this season? 
smh.gif
*Haters gonna hate gif*

laugh.gif

Seriously though, glad to see Bynum is set for surgery.  I really gained a lot of respect for him the way he fought through this year.

"Five teams remain in the running to sign free-agent swingman MATT BARNES, according to sources with knowledge of Barnes' thinking. Toronto is still one of those teams, sources told ESPN.com, despite the collapse of a sign-and-trade deal with Orlando that Barnes thought would be completed by now. One source close to process said early Wednesday that Barnes continues to weigh interest from the Raptors along with the Cleveland Cavaliers and three title contenders he has been negotiating with since last week: the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and LOS ANGELES LAKERS" - ESPN.com

I still think he's after money. And the Lakers can't offer him much. It would shock me if he signed here.

Originally Posted by NIMO007

I still think he's after money. And the Lakers can't offer him much. It would shock me if he signed here.

Matt Barnes is after the money, unfortunately, and I don't blame him.  Dude had a decent year, and he's trying to capitalize on that.

And of those 5 teams that were listed only the cavs have the $$ that he might be asking for.........id say he lands with the cavs

Why don't the Lakers do a sign and trade for Barns? It's Sasha's last year on his contract, I'm sure somebody would like to dump that
salary. But I'm guessing Mitch thinks Sasha will over perform like he did his last contract year and could get more for him towards

the all-star break...

He can't be involved in any sign and trade, he wasn't with the magic long enough...that's what stoped him from going to TOR

He can't be involved in any sign and trade, he wasn't with the magic long enough...that's what stoped him from going to TOR

When Paul was quoted a few weeks ago as saying he'd be open to a trade if the Hornets aren't committed to building a championship team, it was only a small hint as to the size of the chasm that exists between the franchise and its cornerstone player. Paul, in fact, has put into motion an aggressive exit strategy that will accelerate in the coming weeks, and his clear intention is to be traded before the start of the 2010-11 season, a person with direct knowledge of his plans told CBSSports.com Wednesday.

"He wants out," said the person, who has been briefed on Paul's strategy but spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it publicly. "He wants to play with another superstar. He wants to follow LeBron's model of teaming up with other great players."

Paul's list of preferred destinations consists of the Knicks, Magic and Lakers, and members of his inner circle already have sent word to the Hornets of his desire to be traded to one of those teams
, sources say. If Paul has his way, he's played his last game in a Hornets jersey.

"He feels like they haven't put the right pieces together," said the person familiar with the star point guard's plans.
CBS

Though it's a long shot, it still has me a little bit geeked
pimp.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif

I know it won't be possible, but anyone outside of Kobe and Pau is fair game.

Also...

TheReal_TMAC clippers, bulls, lakers, heat.... but that could
change by the morning... lol.. this is the NBA

Back
Top Bottom