Why is it so hard for people to manage their money?

I try to stretch my money as much as I can. Ditching cell phone contracts and going prepaid, reselling clothes/sneakers, etc.

We all suffer minor setbacks here and there, but if you can buy it without it severely damaging your money, I don't see a problem.

Priorities arent in line sometimes, some people feel the need to keep up with the next person

My household income was 180K last year and things weren't that easy. I live in the NYC metro area BTW.

Couple of reasons:

From a personal standpoint, when you come from a background with no means to save, you can't learn how to save. Period. Live to survive.

Now, when I was younger, I used to blow my Financial Aid refund checks on jordans and other **** but nothing truly gratifying.

Now at the age of 25, I got my first tax refund check and saved 70% of that. My truck's water pump gave out and , through lessons learned and old habits broken, I had enough in my savings to back up this emergency repair. It's a long and rigorous process to teach oneself of financial literacy. My credit is shot to **** and I'm receiving the repercussions of it but I'm working on it, plus I have a girlfriend (who is a teacher who is paid 12x a year and is great with finances btw) who helps me stay on course.

short answer is: living outside of your means. But one day, it all catches up to you and you either have to wake up or keep dreaming. I prefer to wake up.

Man, I'll tell you why I am financially irresponsible. It's the feeling that I get when I buy something. I swear it's a natural high and I'm so addicted to it. I keep telling myself getting a job in High School is the best and worst thing to ever happen to me. :smh:

Man, I'll tell you why I am financially irresponsible. It's the feeling that I get when I buy something. I swear it's a natural high and I'm so addicted to it. I keep telling myself getting a job in High School is the best and worst thing to ever happen to me.
mean.gif
you got dem jays doe

Couple of reasons:

From a personal standpoint, when you come from a background with no means to save, you can't learn how to save. Period. Live to survive.

Now, when I was younger, I used to blow my Financial Aid refund checks on jordans and other **** but nothing truly gratifying.

Now at the age of 25, I got my first tax refund check and saved 70% of that. My truck's water pump gave out and , through lessons learned and old habits broken, I had enough in my savings to back up this emergency repair. It's a long and rigorous process to teach oneself of financial literacy. My credit is shot to **** and I'm receiving the repercussions of it but I'm working on it, plus I have a girlfriend (who is a teacher who is paid 12x a year and is great with finances btw) who helps me stay on course.

short answer is: living outside of your means. But one day, it all catches up to you and you either have to wake up or keep dreaming. I prefer to wake up.

I can whole hearted relate. Took me a long time to learn to live within my means and understand a budget on my own. Dem growing pains.

I'm living with the parents right now so I don't have any bills or anything really. I'm trying to save as much as I can now for the future. I've never really been the one to "stunt" or buy stuff out of my means just because kind of how I was raised and observing situations around me. Kind of molding me into this save your money for unexpected things mindset. 

How do you guys feel about "money is the root of all evil"? 
Money is amoral. It is neither good nor evil. It only reveals our true character and priorities. If we are selfish without money, it'll only be enhanced with it. If we are generous with our money before we have it, we'll be able to help even more people once we have more.

FYI... the correct quote is "The LOVE of money is the root of all KINDS of evil".
wink.gif

Money is amoral. It is neither good nor evil. It only reveals our true character and priorities. If we are selfish without money, it'll only be enhanced with it. If we are generous with our money before we have it, we'll be able to help even more people once we have more.

FYI... the correct quote is "The LOVE of money is the root of all KINDS of evil".
wink.gif
Good way to put it. Really good way. Nice perspective. 

And yeah I know the correct quote from the scripture - was too lazy to type those few words.

The bible actually says the LOVE of Money is the root of evil. Money itself isn't the issue, but if a person loves money and is willing to do anything under the sun to get it then problems can arise.

Edit- I see CRC already beat me to it 8)

Last edited:

FYI... the correct quote is "The LOVE of money is the root of all KINDS of evil". :wink:
Stealing for RTs and instagram likes.

Back
Top Bottom