Why is it so hard for people to manage their money?

The scary part is that most teachers are pretty bad with money themselves. Even though they get paid 10 times a year, they act like it's 12. All those teachers doing summer school? It's probably because they didn't plan for the summer months.
Where are you getting that "most teachers" statistic from? Sounds like you're making that up. Teachers actually DO get paid during the summer but they get one big check in June. They often get a summer gig to double up on a pay check. Teachers don't nearly get paid enough yet people expect them to work miracles. You want better teachers, raise the salary. Higher pay leads to higher competition for those jobs instead of taking the first that comes through the door.
My wife is a teacher, & I've spent a lot of time around her peers and had her tell me similar things. Yes, they do have the option of being paid for 12 months, but more teachers than you think take the 10 month option.

I'm not even going to get into the salary portion of it. Believe me, pay and competition within the school system have absolutely no correlation. At least where I am, teachers are compensated pretty well. It's the bureaucracy constant structural changes that causes a lot of the stress in the position. But let's keep this a "live within your means" thread, shall we.
wink.gif

The scary part is that most teachers are pretty bad with money themselves. Even though they get paid 10 times a year, they act like it's 12. All those teachers doing summer school? It's probably because they didn't plan for the summer months.
crcballer srs question because you def chime in on any thread relating to finances.

what even brings you to a place like Niketalk this place is definition of materialism

you prob used to be into sneakers but grown out of it, you seem like you dont buy anything frivolous.
I would say I'm definitely a lot more diligent with my finances now than I used to be. I'll splurge on certain items, but only before doing a cost/benefit analysis on the length of use vs. total cost beforehand. Don't get me wrong, there are many "frivolous" things on my bucket list, but they're part of my reward to myself once I've "made it".

Because we spend our money on unnecessary things. I think it's worst when you get paid every 2 weeks

People are trained to be financially illiterate impulse buyers.   We should teach financial literacy in public schools but that's too empowering...

This is the main reason.

Also, people just don't make enough money. America is designed for consumption. Low skilled labor losing jobs, skills themselves cost to much to obtain. Late fees and high interest rates coupled with the need for some luxuries in life (a television, nice clothes, nice toys for your child etc.) in order to be more than a that another mode of production, create a situation in which debt is the norm.

We need to decide as a whole we don't like the system, but the current culture is divisive and won't allow a unified front.

24 hour news cycle, Internet culture, low education. Those are the biggest issues with debt and our society.

grew up with no money (still don't have money).

I'm spending every penny on candy, popsicles or something dumb right when I get it.

It's hard bc I go back to being normal and not having money but guess what? I have a pocket-full of gobstoppers and a ninja turtle popsicle with the gumball eyeballs missing.

I think it's just part of being human to want ****, that's why, :lol:

I should probably spend way less than I do, it's kind of :x when I think of my spending habits, but w/e.

I've honestly started having like mini convos w/ myself before I buy something.

I'll be like, "Anthony, do you really need this?".

The answer is always a resounding no, but I rarely walk out of a store empty handed, :lol:

That's fine w/ me if you have a savers mentality, but if I'm busting my ***, I'm spending my cash.

I'm not trying to be that guy who dies rich and then has his family squander away his money.

I'm spending this money, dammit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I hear you.

I'm not concerned w/ my future, though, I'll be fine.

I don't really "live it up", :lol:

I don't go out or anything, I just buy clothes and sneakers for the most part.

It just rubs me the wrong way when I'm out spending like a jackal and then I walk around Vegas and see homeless kids, some of them younger than me, w/ jack **** to their name.

People can't feed themselves and I'm upset if Nike Las Vegas doesn't have those Flyknits in my size, :smh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just part of being human to want ****, that's why, :lol:

I should probably spend way less than I do, it's kind of :x when I think of my spending habits, but w/e.

I've honestly started having like mini convos w/ myself before I buy something.

I'll be like, "Anthony, do you really need this?".

The answer is always a resounding no, but I rarely walk out of a store empty handed, :lol:

That's fine w/ me if you have a savers mentality, but if I'm busting my ***, I'm spending my cash.

I'm not trying to be that guy who dies rich and then has his family squander away his money.

I'm spending this money, dammit.

I completely understand you, and respect your mindset. But, it's very important to plan for your future, especially when you're young.

Most people tell me "you're in your 20s live it up bro!", but I see it like "I'm barely in my 20s. This gives me plenty of time to prepare for my 30s."
In the end, whatever makes you happy is the way to go. But, you also want to make sure you'll be happy or Happier in the future.

Hyper... you're like my girl.

WhatCanISay... you're like me.

My girl is my other half for a reason. She let's me know that it's okay to reward myself, and I remind her to save for emergency.

People have their priorities effed up.

I find myself lending most of my friends money.

Priorities messed are all messed up.

Plus a lot of people think they can only F their money up on big purchases ($200+) but don't take into account all the times they spend $25 at happy hour or $16 ordering a pizza. Then they look up at the end of the month like "where the hell did my money go!?"

Its the small purchases that add up that really screw over most people.

This year it's my goal to stack that paper and having my new job and better pay, I'm really starting to get the hang of saving money. All you have to do is put more than half your paycheck in savings n your straight. 8)

What the title says. 

I don't know, I just never understood it. It seems like more and more I see people who can't manage their money and are always complaining, suffering, or putting themselves in predicaments that could've been avoided. I know people who complain literally everytime we talk that they don't have any money for bills, food, etc. And one girl in particular does it all the time.

Money habits aren't taught in my neck of the woods when we're small...at all...

That needs to be a class in every junior high and must have course in high school, if you ask me...

When I was going to school it wasn't even a option...

And then let's look at our parents too, what habits do they have?

"...My father wasn't a banker, neither was my neighbor / so when it comes to stacking paper, who the hell was gonna show us?.."
~Nasir "Nasty Nas" Jones

Society is designed for you to fail.

All these emails about "deals" you get every day from 100000 of websites
The banners on the side of NT from Zappos, Nordstroms, Karmaloop...etc.

You are inundated with advertisements telling you to buy things. It's a constant struggle to not. Then credit companies will "ok" you for a Credit Card at a young age with a 1.5k limit. You never had a class on how to manage a credit card. You were never taught of interest rates and compounding interest in high school. You didn't know of toxic college loans until you are in college taking classes on the same things that are burying you.

Its sad the way the system is set up. They constantly push materialism on you. From tv to music videos to advertisements on everything.

Living beyond their means.

Yup.

I think a big part of it is human's desire to outdo the next person. Fresh clothes, expensive shoes, fancy cars, big houses. I think a lot of purchases are for stunting reasons. Of course folks will deny it but I think it is so ingrained in some of us that we don't even know we do it.

I have a friend who is actually like this but some people really can't manage their cause they don't make much. I use to always criticize my boy for not managing his money without knowing why.

Teachers do get paid in the summer months, some teachers actually be living it up without even teaching a class. There are several teachers that are roaming around school probably teaching one class or is just inside a classroom pretending they are of some assistance but they are not. Teachers are still getting paid.

I'm a savor (and a spender, but never beyond my means) but I need to get savvier with my investments. 

I need to get into property development 
pimp.gif

The worst ones are the people who have to justify their purchases.

Once they get to a point where they have no money then they'll start saving

I used to drop $ on ****. Bought de la highs for 270 last summer. 50 for a bbc shirt. 100 for a hat. Had to cut it out. But I'm good now :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom