Why do people think college is the best route to go ?

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???

So, I'm currently studying for back to back finals tommrow and I don't understand why people say one needs to go to college in order to be financially successful.
With the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates,  Steve Jobs, Ralph Lauren, Kirk Kerkorian (all Billionaires) never graduating college and the lack of emphasis that the past business geniuses ( Cornelius Vanderbilt, William Randolph Hearst, etc..) put on college, why have people been conditioned to believe that college is the best route to be successful.

I am not saying college can't help one achieve success but if time is slipping away studying rather than working wouldn't it be more prudent to skip college.

Discuss ???

to perpetuate the lucrative educational system and to milk everyone's savings and credit by saying it's the only way. 

to perpetuate the lucrative educational system and to milk everyone's savings and credit by saying it's the only way. 

Chances are higher with that college degree fam. I tried the whole work straight out of high school thing before going back to school now I'm one year away from my degree in business marketing. The Ralph Lauren's and bill Gates's are very lucky cases.

Chances are higher with that college degree fam. I tried the whole work straight out of high school thing before going back to school now I'm one year away from my degree in business marketing. The Ralph Lauren's and bill Gates's are very lucky cases.

So you named a handful of people in the history of the world. Big deal. College isn't just about classes, education, etc.

What you learn about PEOPLE during the period of the college experience is invaluable. Even people I know who went to college locally (University of Washington) didn't get the same experience as people who actually left Western Washington for school. It was a protective bubble with mommy and daddy down the street if you needed anything.

A college degree nowadays is as much an affirmation of responsibility as it is a reflection of the course of study. I think it's unfair to ridicule someone who gets a four-year sociology degree just because they're not an engineering major (the sentiment exists). There are a thousand distractions in college, and a lot of people don't survive. That's why a degree shows you can at least get your stuff together. Employers who see the degree do understand that. Trust me.

So you named a handful of people in the history of the world. Big deal. College isn't just about classes, education, etc.

What you learn about PEOPLE during the period of the college experience is invaluable. Even people I know who went to college locally (University of Washington) didn't get the same experience as people who actually left Western Washington for school. It was a protective bubble with mommy and daddy down the street if you needed anything.

A college degree nowadays is as much an affirmation of responsibility as it is a reflection of the course of study. I think it's unfair to ridicule someone who gets a four-year sociology degree just because they're not an engineering major (the sentiment exists). There are a thousand distractions in college, and a lot of people don't survive. That's why a degree shows you can at least get your stuff together. Employers who see the degree do understand that. Trust me.

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

Discuss ???
I never understood this line of reasoning. Not only do you acknowledge that the aforementioned are almost all geniuses in their respective fields, but every time this topic comes up, we fail to acknowledge the millions of people who didn't go to college who aren't successful, as if they just don't exist for the purpose of this argument.

The whole point is mute because success in anything isn't dependent on a college education or lack there of.

Personally though, institutionalized or not, I see a lot of benefits in going to college, many of them having little to do with class room education. But who am I to say it's the best way to go about finding success when it comes to another individual.

Originally Posted by The Prince of LA

Discuss ???
I never understood this line of reasoning. Not only do you acknowledge that the aforementioned are almost all geniuses in their respective fields, but every time this topic comes up, we fail to acknowledge the millions of people who didn't go to college who aren't successful, as if they just don't exist for the purpose of this argument.

The whole point is mute because success in anything isn't dependent on a college education or lack there of.

Personally though, institutionalized or not, I see a lot of benefits in going to college, many of them having little to do with class room education. But who am I to say it's the best way to go about finding success when it comes to another individual.

i dont know, but i just did the math & i %!!%@% up bout 20 racks payin for school outta pocket last year just to get kicked out
30t6p3b.gif
...i dont know if ima go back to college

i dont know, but i just did the math & i %!!%@% up bout 20 racks payin for school outta pocket last year just to get kicked out
30t6p3b.gif
...i dont know if ima go back to college

it's the "safest route" to have a stable future.

people with higher education are at the front of the line when it comes to getting hired.

you could build pyramids all your life, but the guy kicked back in the air conditioned office, doing paper work is always going to get paid more than you.

it's the "safest route" to have a stable future.

people with higher education are at the front of the line when it comes to getting hired.

you could build pyramids all your life, but the guy kicked back in the air conditioned office, doing paper work is always going to get paid more than you.

Some professions have no choice.

You need to learn the basics of math and engineering in order to become an engineer.
You need to learn the basics of scientific reasoning and essentially prove you have learn and apply an insane amount of information before anyone lets you into med school.

There are countless professions where forgoing further education is simply NOT an option, unless you're a genius which most of us are not. Good colleges give even the most intelligent the resources (labs, etc) to let their talents blossom.

Some professions have no choice.

You need to learn the basics of math and engineering in order to become an engineer.
You need to learn the basics of scientific reasoning and essentially prove you have learn and apply an insane amount of information before anyone lets you into med school.

There are countless professions where forgoing further education is simply NOT an option, unless you're a genius which most of us are not. Good colleges give even the most intelligent the resources (labs, etc) to let their talents blossom.

In this economy, college is necessary. Like a lot of you have said, there is more than just the classroom aspect. Another small reason I go, is for the prestige of having a degree. Call it my ego but I always respect people more when I hear that they have their bachelors or masters.

In this economy, college is necessary. Like a lot of you have said, there is more than just the classroom aspect. Another small reason I go, is for the prestige of having a degree. Call it my ego but I always respect people more when I hear that they have their bachelors or masters.

Because college is more than the piece of paper you receive at the end.

The life lessons you learn, dealing with other people, dealing with deadlines, and learning to do things well that you don't want to do are just SOME of the benefits of college.

Bachelors: You can learn.
Masters: You can understand.
PhD: You've mastered and are able to apply and teach your theories.

Because college is more than the piece of paper you receive at the end.

The life lessons you learn, dealing with other people, dealing with deadlines, and learning to do things well that you don't want to do are just SOME of the benefits of college.

Bachelors: You can learn.
Masters: You can understand.
PhD: You've mastered and are able to apply and teach your theories.

as already stated, for every successful person who made it without going to college, there are millions more who did not.

I did not like college but I am thankful that my university gave me access to certain people, places, and things that aren't prevalent where I'm from.

as already stated, for every successful person who made it without going to college, there are millions more who did not.

I did not like college but I am thankful that my university gave me access to certain people, places, and things that aren't prevalent where I'm from.

College is basically a tool to get you what you want in life. College works if you know what you're going to do and how you're going to get there. The successful people you mention are the outliers in the upper 2 percentile.

Back
Top Bottom