Why aren't convicts being used in the US military?

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

so you want people who have, for the most part, made horrible decisions with their lives to protect this country. You wouldn't question the integrity of the true convicts? You don't think they would release critical mission intel to the enemy for the right price?

I used to think it was a good idea, until I joined the military myself.
A good drill sergeant and a good Basic Training program does wonders for these type dudes. Fort Benning Basic Training for Infantry does a REALLY good job of molding all types of dudes into motivated young soldiers. I have seen a few fringe guys do a 180 and become some high speed dudes. It's not like they come right off the streets and handed guns and told to shoot the guy with the rag on his head.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Ummm. They do have some criminals in the military. Some guys were given a choice by the judge to either enlist in the Army or Marines or go to jail. I remember a drill sergeant telling some thug dudes that they are part of one big gang now and the colors we wear are Green. We had a dude who got caught with coke in his system and they still didn't discharge him right away. Only after he repeatedly kept messing up did they finally let him walk.

I know, but the people that don't know are so clueless and afraid
laugh.gif
. They talking bout safe like the military ain't always up to something anyway..
if criminals did things that made sense they likely wouldnt have been criminals in the first place. you'd have to have guards watching these guys who could go off at any given moment. good luck trying to convince real soldiers to trust their lives in the hands of criminals while working together.
Separate units man, duh... and you are so clueless if you think these convicts  aren't being beat, raped, instigated, and set up by the people that you trust to keep them in check. The illusion of the neat and orderly prison system, complete with a black and white perspective of what and who is good or bad is total bull ##!#. Some guards are worse that some prisoners. And those are the people you comfortably walk past everyday. It's all an illusion of safety. What's the difference in a guy that rapes another guy at work and a guy that rapes another guy in prison? The difference is the uniform. If you take that prisoner's orange jumpsuit, expunge his crimes, and say, "Go earn your way back into society", when that man comes home YOU and errbody else will think he's a hero because you see him in a different uniform and don't know his past... and because he doesn't have to answer to your negative expectations, he might actually stick to the straight and narrow given a clean slate and all..

If they can't even follow our simple laws here how do you expect them to follow directions in battle?

If they can't even follow our simple laws here how do you expect them to follow directions in battle?

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Two words...self preservation. Trust when I say this...when that first mortar blows up less than 100 yards from your position...you tend to want to cooperate and work as a team instead of going for self.

Again, what type of convicts are we talking about here? I thought we were talking about serious ones, not mom and pop drug dealers.

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Two words...self preservation. Trust when I say this...when that first mortar blows up less than 100 yards from your position...you tend to want to cooperate and work as a team instead of going for self.

Again, what type of convicts are we talking about here? I thought we were talking about serious ones, not mom and pop drug dealers.

The ignorance and the stupidity in this thread is thick.  These aren't hardened criminals being given this option.  These are people getting busted with pot repeatedly and charges of the same magnitude.

The ignorance and the stupidity in this thread is thick.  These aren't hardened criminals being given this option.  These are people getting busted with pot repeatedly and charges of the same magnitude.

War has the ability to turn everyday soldiers into murderers and rapists.

Your suggestion is to enlist people who are ALREADY murderers and rapists...?

From the outside looking in, I really do not see how this would be a good idea at all.
You're assuming that they would change and actually be worth anything.
Hell half the people that get out of jail and prison end up going right back. (using half as a figure of speech obv)  

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

guy, how are we supposed to know what they got charged for? He just said convicts and when I think of convicts I think of hardened criminals.
Unless you're referring to the type of people that are actually given the choice of joining the military, instead of what OP said.

War has the ability to turn everyday soldiers into murderers and rapists.

Your suggestion is to enlist people who are ALREADY murderers and rapists...?

From the outside looking in, I really do not see how this would be a good idea at all.
You're assuming that they would change and actually be worth anything.
Hell half the people that get out of jail and prison end up going right back. (using half as a figure of speech obv)  

guy, how are we supposed to know what they got charged for? He just said convicts and when I think of convicts I think of hardened criminals.
Unless you're referring to the type of people that are actually given the choice of joining the military, instead of what OP said.

OP was talking about the murderers from his hood.

OP was talking about the murderers from his hood.

Well not really...they started letting in felons as well. Some were more serious offenders than others.

Most of last year's Army waivers were for serious misdemeanors, like aggravated assault, robbery, burglary and vehicular homicide. But around 900 -- double the number in 2003 -- were for felonies. Worse, the Army does no systematic tracking of recruits with waivers once it signs them up, and it does not always pay enough attention to any adjustment problems.

Well not really...they started letting in felons as well. Some were more serious offenders than others.

Most of last year's Army waivers were for serious misdemeanors, like aggravated assault, robbery, burglary and vehicular homicide. But around 900 -- double the number in 2003 -- were for felonies. Worse, the Army does no systematic tracking of recruits with waivers once it signs them up, and it does not always pay enough attention to any adjustment problems.

AF> Army yet again,

the military got enough problems as it is, it might be a "good" idea at first, but way too many risk and liabilities,
maybe 1 in 100 would be up for it, but 1 in 1000 might actually want to change n do good,

there's already too many "bad seeds" going into the military as it is, n it takes a bit to get those out,
so it wouldnt really be worth it bringing more "bad seeds" in to find a few good out of those,  (makes sense?)

AF> Army yet again,

the military got enough problems as it is, it might be a "good" idea at first, but way too many risk and liabilities,
maybe 1 in 100 would be up for it, but 1 in 1000 might actually want to change n do good,

there's already too many "bad seeds" going into the military as it is, n it takes a bit to get those out,
so it wouldnt really be worth it bringing more "bad seeds" in to find a few good out of those,  (makes sense?)

No, I wasn't talking about the murderers from my hood. I said CONVICTS. That means people not on the loose...

I think the Kappa gets it...
pimp.gif
. That's all I wanted. If one person can see what I'm getting at my job here is done. Ya'll ##%$#@ be cool... I'm in the breeze.

Back
Top Bottom