who's CURRENTLY da hotter NYC rapper outta these 2?

was ur pick?

• A$ap Rocky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • French Montana

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No region is winning really in the underground. And as far as mainstream it's everywhere but still the south holds it down.

NY:
A$AP- French-Jay-Nas-Nicki

East Coast:
Meek Mill-Joe Budden-Wale

West Coast:
Kendrick Lamar-Tyga-Macklemore

South:
Rick Ross- Lil Wayne- J. Cole-2Chainz-Young Jeezy-Future-Juicy J

Int'l:
Drake

Midwest:
Kanye-Wiz-Big Sean

I'm not counting artists like Bronson, Trinidad, Schoolboy Q, etc. Just those making heavy noise

^You know you could switch up every one of those names to any region since they all pretty much do songs with each other? No wonder why people are just a remix of each other right now :lol:

Yea because no one is jumping on southern beats at all these days :rolleyes

Last edited:
whats the point in listenin' to a French Montana when there's a Gucci Mane?  thats who he tryin' be... face it, ya manz sucks lol  
laugh.gif

Yea because no one is jumping on southern beats at all these days
eyes.gif
I'm saying, pretty much every beat is a Lex (circa 2010) or Mike Will imitation

And if they're not imitating the Southern sound, they're imitating 40 or T-Minus' sound (Drake's producers)

Yes. I meant that as well as how I was only mentioning mainstream artists and how the "Sounding like your region" dynamic has changed

^I haven't listened to Joey Badass much, but from the little I've heard from him, both him and KRIT are the types of distinctive music I want to hear. I'm a fan of and listen to quite a few other rappers mentioned, but I actually like being able to tell where somebody is from by listening to their stuff. That's sort of a lost art since everybody gets along (or is scared of anything remotely contentious) and hops on tracks with everybody.

^I haven't listened to Joey Badass much, but from the little I've heard from him, both him and KRIT are the types of distinctive music I want to hear. I'm a fan of and listen to quite a few other rappers mentioned, but I actually like being able to tell where somebody is from by listening to their stuff. That's sort of a lost art since everybody gets along (or is scared of anything remotely contentious) and hops on tracks with everybody.

ehh it's a double edge sword for me.

On 1 hand I hate how everyone just hops on what is hot and sounds the same so I understand.

On the other it's a new age and your art can ONLY get better by being influenced by more and more. Whether it's other regions of rappers, other genres or other mediums of art. It can ONLY get better.

ehh it's a double edge sword for me.

On 1 hand I hate how everyone just hops on what is hot and sounds the same so I understand.

On the other it's a new age and your art can ONLY get better by being influenced by more and more. Whether it's other regions of rappers, other genres or other mediums of art. It can ONLY get better.

But can't it be influenced by those who came before you? If its influenced too much by your contemporaries, then there is nothing unique about your style IMO

Yes it can but why does a Houston rapper growing up in 2013 only have to be influenced by UGK, Scarface? Why not Pac, D.O.C, Big L, Outkast, Twista, E-40, Sade, David Bowie, the Prodigy, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Oasis, James Brown, Eddie Hazel, etc?

I don't care if it's contemporary or old school if you're only influenced by one type of music and only make one type of music you are a niche. And that's cool. Not saying you can't be great but there's only so far you can go being a niche rapper. And that's fine people don't like change. If that's what you were brought up on and it's the only thing you want to make because you love it by all means do it and do it to the best of your abilities. I'm just saying to me, one man, it's very very very rare I'm a be feeling what you put out on a long enough timeline.

Yes it can but why does a Houston rapper growing up in 2013 only have to be influenced by UGK, Scarface? Why not Pac, D.O.C, Big L, Outkast, Twista, E-40, Sade, David Bowie, the Prodigy, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Oasis, James Brown, Eddie Hazel, etc?

I don't care if it's contemporary or old school if you're only influenced by one type of music and only make one type of music you are a niche. And that's cool. Not saying you can't be great but there's only so far you can go being a niche rapper. And that's fine people don't like change. If that's what you were brought up on and it's the only thing you want to make because you love it by all means do it and do it to the best of your abilities. I'm just saying to me, one man, it's very very very rare I'm a be feeling what you put out on a long enough timeline.

I get that. I'm saying that if a bunch of rappers that are out currently all sound the same, and are all using each others sound, then they're doing it wrong.

And I agree. That was the 1st point of my double edge sword.

"On 1 hand I hate how everyone just hops on what is hot and sounds the same so I understand."

There's over a half of million musicians out there (DJs, producers, rappers singers, guitarists, etc) that have music on iTunes.

If Artist A & Artist B listen to the same 1000 they're doing it wrong. AND if they're listening to the same 1000 artists and coming out with the same product they are not artists. They're just creating formulas.

If you have listened to LLA$AP or the official album how are you going to sit here with a straight face and tell me Rocky sounds like anyone else out?

Outside of ******Problems i haven't heard Another A$AP track that sounds anything like what's been playing on the radio for the past 5 years..... & it damn sure doesn't sound like anything from the past that A$AP crew IS building their own sound, looks, vibe but somehow their not original?

& FTR I just came from CIAA weekend, the biggest song out their were ****** problems, Pop That, & All gold Everything.......... & Of course a variety of future/Juicy J tracks

If you have listened to LLA$AP or the official album how are you going to sit here with a straight face and tell me Rocky sounds like anyone else out?

Outside of ******Problems i haven't heard Another A$AP track that sounds anything like what's been playing on the radio for the past 5 years..... & it damn sure doesn't sound like anything from the past that A$AP crew IS building their own sound, looks, vibe but somehow their not original?

& FTR I just came from CIAA weekend, the biggest song out their were ****** problems, Pop That, & All gold Everything.......... & Of course a variety of future/Juicy J tracks

their own sound? I dont hear it, I dont get the feeling of "originality" when I listen to ASAP. Wearing dresses on TV is damn original though, so props to him for that.

And that bolded sentence literally doesnt mean anything :lol:

their own sound? I dont hear it, I dont get the feeling of "originality" when I listen to ASAP. Wearing dresses on TV is damn original though, so props to him for that.

ASAP and their fashion sense might be a little out there at times. But this is how NYC is...there is people who dress crazy out of the norm...and there is people who where nothing but true religion and polo Gucci schmoochi...nothing wrong with that personally I feel that knocking another mans fashion sense is the wackest thing you can do. Because fashion is very broad....and personally if you don't like oversized T's or whatever it may be doesn't mean that your critic is correct

Last edited:

So please then tell me what other rappers currently out have a sound like theirs........ LongliveA$AP, Brand new guy, Goldie, Choppas On Deck & damn near everything other than ****** Problems or work sounds like nothing currently out.

And cool a weekend where Damn near all of hiphop is throwing parties & the biggest DJ's in hiphop are Dj'ing those parties mean nothing in the scope of what's hot in Hiphop......... what an astounding revelation :smh:

So please then tell me what other rappers currently out have a sound like theirs........ LongliveA$AP, Brand new guy, Goldie, Choppas On Deck & damn near everything other than ****** Problems or work sounds like nothing currently out.

And cool a weekend where Damn near all of hiphop is throwing parties & the biggest DJ's in hiphop are Dj'ing those parties mean nothing in the scope of what's hot in Hiphop......... what an astounding revelation :smh:

The #1 most common criticism I remember of all those tracks is that they sound too much like old 3-6 stuff

Back
Top Bottom