Which old school hip hop artist is overrated in your eyes?

Man get outta here listing Pharoahe Monch :lol: its rare to even hear from him to even be considered overrated

Last edited:

:wow:
Please, expound.

At the end of the day I just feel like Big L's technical rapping ability is greater than his collective music as a whole.

I used to see dudes saying L was undisputed Top 5 ever here all the time. But I can think of a good 15-20 albums from 95/96 that I feel are better bodies of music than Lifestylez.

So yea, as an artist, I think L is overrated. I've felt that way for a decade. *shrugs*

Generally speaking I think we do champion a select few from past eras while others equally deserving of being remembered have seemingly been forgotten entirely.

I can dig that, but then again you're judging his limited catalog against guys who've put out a bunch of albums and songs. IMO his potential and trajectory will always keep him in top 10 conversations.

After reading through this post I can't believe the answers I'm seeing.
This is obviously a younger crowd leaving most of the comments. The majority of the mc's names I saw laid down crucial work to make the hip hop scene what it is today. Not to mention new styles back then were saught after like some sort of lyrical wiziardry.
When I think of overrated back then, i think of vanilla Ice and other one hit wonders. I can't say there were many over rated mc's back then because everybody was pullin something new. But, pac? Biggie? Krs!!!??? C'mon now...

Last edited:
Man get outta here listing Pharoahe Monch
laugh.gif
its rare to even here from him to even be considered overrated
roll.gif

what does that have to do with pac? u say it like he's cosigning people
california's high population is always forcing stuff on the rest of us(lil B...kendrick lamar..OFWG)

its like since these dudes are from cali a lot of people, people in cali, ride for them automatically. there is no reason lil b should get as much attention as he does. dude cant rap. if he was from alabama nobody would know who the hell he is

california's high population is always forcing stuff on the rest of us(lil B...kendrick lamar..OFWG)

its like since these dudes are from cali a lot of people, people in cali, ride for them automatically. there is no reason lil b should get as much attention as he does. dude cant rap. if he was from alabama nobody would know who the hell he is

that lil b push aint from cali... people all over the country like that joke rap ****... he's popular cuz its silly dumb ****... nobody thinks he can rap or takes him serious

the OFWG **** is all over too... kids love that dumb ****...

kendrick is dope... dunno what u tryin to get at by listing him

Last edited:
c'mon b. I know you guys saying Too Short and E 40 aren't from the bay.
I'll admit that they aren't the most lyrical, but they're legends in the Bay Area (possibly all of Cali). Their music is religiously played at parties and its great for parties and such.

I'm not sure who I'd consider overrated, possibly someone like

c'mon b. I know you guys saying Too Short and E 40 aren't from the bay.
I'll admit that they aren't the most lyrical, but they're legends in the Bay Area (possibly all of Cali). Their music is religiously played at parties and its great for parties and such.
I'm not sure who I'd consider overrated, possibly someone like

I've always respected E-40 cause he seems like a cool, real dude but his music is hit or miss with me. The only time I enjoy Too Short is when he does features like on Biggie's album or TI's first album. Other than that, his music is below average to me. Truth be told (and you can maybe chalk this up to region differences) I think 90% of Bay Area music suck. Probably cause they use too much local slang or something, hell I don't know... :\

Everything post "It Was a Good Day". But his first two solo albums are classics front to back.

Honestly I could not get into those first 2 cube albums. I know they are suppose to be classics but I just could not vibe with either one of them

Everything post "It Was a Good Day". But his first two solo albums are classics front to back.
Honestly I could not get into those first 2 cube albums. I know they are suppose to be classics but I just could not vibe with either one of them
Death Certificate could almost be the best "gangster rap" album of all time. Hell Kendrick damn near remade an entire song from that album.

Hell Cube is UNDERRATED in my eyes. His first two albums got 5 mics in the Source and he wrote a lot of NWA's stuff when he was with them. He's in my top 5 or 6.

cube by himself is very overrated
Ghetto Bird

You Know How We Do It

Bop Gun

What Can I do

Check Yo Self Remix

Until We Rich

Those songs are post It Was A Good Day. I can still go on but I will stop there. You're telling me you can't vibe/get down with any of those songs I just listed?
BOTH OF YOU STATE YOUR AGE

Cube is underrated IMO. A lot of people only know him for the Friday movies and a couple old songs. Dude's catalog is on point, and he's still putting out good music. Raw Footage was :smokin

Do not forget how Cube dismantled N.W.A all by himself. Cube is terribly underrated, but what West Coast artist isn't..... 

This is a great topic but I can't believe people are sayin Pac is the most overrated rapper out there. Do you guys not realize he embodied what the hip hop culture is really about. He got a message across weather it was good or bad, really lived the life he spoke about, was aggressive on the mike, stood up for wht he believed in, got people to better themselves while still having fun doing it. On the flashy side of it Pac had rapper "beef", was a sex symbol (no homo), had jewerly cars n clothes but he didn't let just be all he talked about in his songs.

As for over rated artist

e40 

bone thugs n harmony

too short

Ghetto Bird
You Know How We Do It
Bop Gun
What Can I do
Check Yo Self Remix
Until We Rich

Those songs are post It Was A Good Day. I can still go on but I will stop there. You're telling me you can't vibe/get down with any of those songs I just listed?

View media item 150953

BOTH OF YOU STATE YOUR AGE

Dog that's my opinion. The production was way off to me. I just wasn't a fan of his work without dre' or yella's production. And it has nothing to do with his lyrics a lot of that early 90's westcoast outside of dre, eazy, and snoop I just couldn't feel it because of production. Just like dudes don't bang with nas cause of his production, cube had that same effect for me.

I've always respected E-40 cause he seems like a cool, real dude but his music is hit or miss with me. The only time I enjoy Too Short is when he does features like on Biggie's album or TI's first album. Other than that, his music is below average to me. Truth be told (and you can maybe chalk this up to region differences) I think 90% of Bay Area music suck. Probably cause they use too much local slang or something, hell I don't know... :\

What Bay Area music are you familiar with aside from Short and 40?

KRS One.

No problem with how others rate him. But his smugness and douchebaggery about how great he is, is beyond almost all braggadocio of other MCs that you go this guy really just needs to calm down about himself. I think it was the Beef 2 movie where he says "Each year I write a 16 about each of the Top 10 artists to dismantle them." After that I could never respect KRS the same, and changed my whole outlook on his catalog.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom