Which old school hip hop artist is overrated in your eyes?

What Bay Area music are you familiar with aside from Short and 40?

Besides Pac, I remember Rappin 4 Tay, Dru Down, B-Legit, and the late Mac Dre. Listened to a few Mista Fab tracks too. I vibed with Richie Rich back then though but that was probably cause of the Pac connection. Can't say that I've listened to any of them in the last 5-6 years though. Just remembering that I didn't like the music when I was younger.

Besides Pac, I remember Rappin 4 Tay, Dru Down, B-Legit, and the late Mac Dre. Listened to a few Mista Fab tracks too. I vibed with Richie Rich back then though but that was probably cause of the Pac connection. Can't say that I've listened to any of them in the last 5-6 years though. Just remembering that I didn't like the music when I was younger.

Oh ok. I'm used to seeing dudes on here saying 90% of Bay Rap sucks when the only stuff they've heard is 40 and Dre.

If you've heard music from Tay, B-Legit, Richie Rich, etc back then and just couldn't **** with it, I can respect your opinion.

Last edited:
c'mon b. I know you guys saying Too Short and E 40 aren't from the bay.
I'll admit that they aren't the most lyrical, but they're legends in the Bay Area (possibly all of Cali). Their music is religiously played at parties and its great for parties and such.
I'm not sure who I'd consider overrated, possibly someone like

They're overrated. I'm from San Jose if it matters.

I think it was the Beef 2 movie where he says "Each year I write a 16 about each of the Top 10 artists to dismantle them." After that I could never respect KRS the same, and changed my whole outlook on his catalog.

What's wrong with staying on your toes? What he's doing is no different than say, batting practice.

I could understand if he were recording verses about the hottest rappers of the moment and constantly releasing it, but all he said is he writes these verses to stay sharp in case one of them ever came at him. Nothing wrong with that at all.

What's wrong with staying on your toes? What he's doing is no different than say, batting practice.
I could understand if he were recording verses about the hottest rappers of the moment and constantly releasing it, but all he said is he writes these verses to stay sharp in case one of them ever came at him. Nothing wrong with that at all.

man that **** is corn :lol: aint nobody coming at him... no one cares about him

dude deaded himself when he said curtis was better than graduation...

he dissed nelly, of all people, and lost...

Last edited:
Dog that's my opinion. The production was way off to me. I just wasn't a fan of his work without dre' or yella's production. And it has nothing to do with his lyrics a lot of that early 90's westcoast outside of dre, eazy, and snoop I just couldn't feel it because of production. Just like dudes don't bang with nas cause of his production, cube had that same effect for me.
You forgot to state your age.

I understand it's your opinion. I was just playing around by posting that gif. The reason why I posted that gif is because of what ServeChilled said on the first page.

"Timing plays a great part in the legacy of some older rappers. Some things you have to experience as they happen

to fully appreciate it."

Were you around or old enough to fully understand at that time? If so, I seriously doubt you would be criticizing the production.

man that **** is corn :lol: aint nobody coming at him... no one cares about him
dude deaded himself when he said curtis was better than graduation...
he dissed nelly, of all people, and lost...
...but none of this matters because we all know at this point (or at the point Beef 2 was made for that matter...or when Pac and BIG had beef for that matter :lol:) KRS One could dismantle no one.

Wether or not anybody cares or is coming at him isn't the point. He's just letting ppl know that if they do, he's ready. How can anyone look down on that.

And I do think him going at Nelly was stupid, but losing to him, laughable.

...but none of this matters because we all know at this point (or at the point Beef 2 was made for that matter...or when Pac and BIG had beef for that matter :lol:) KRS One could dismantle no one.

KRS couldn't dismantle anyone in '96? It's like you try to make yourself sound foolish at times.

KRS couldn't dismantle anyone in '96? It's like you try to make yourself sound foolish at times.

............. that's definitely the only one i had a :lol: after....i was adding that being funny. i'm sure he could have dismantled SOMEONE's career. so please. unbunch your panties.
and move around.

Last edited:
Snoop?
the one in your avi?
K. Dot?
Eazy E? (overrated...he didn't even write most of his stuff)

I don't think Snoop receives all of the credit he deserves , I'd put him in the same boat as Cube as far as being underrated.(tbh with his career decisions it might be his fault)

Snoop?
the one in your avi?
K. Dot?
Eazy E? (overrated...he didn't even write most of his stuff)

Pac isn't from the West Coast, and didn't start repping it until he got into Death Row, and assuming you're going to use K Lamar's album sales to back up your point, that album's success was based off hype and the notion that supporting his album would help save hip-hop. K-Dot just has a small supporting cast (compared to other major artist I.e Kanye, Drake, etc) that's just very supportive.

I understand it's your opinion. I was just playing around by posting that gif. The reason why I posted that gif is because of what ServeChilled said on the first page.

"Timing plays a great part in the legacy of some older rappers. Some things you have to experience as they happen
to fully appreciate it."

Were you around or old enough to fully understand at that time? If so, I seriously doubt you would be criticizing the production.

I'm 24, but the thing is I love a lot of rap from that era and earlier. Loved the albums from NWA, Eric B. & Rakim, Dre, KRS-One in the BDP days, Public Enemy, Wu-tang, Ghetto boys. I listen to and love all sorts of music that was made before I was even born, but those 2 cube albums I just couldn't get with them.

............. that's definitely the only one i had a :lol: after....i was adding that being funny. i'm sure he could have dismantled SOMEONE's career. so please. unbunch your panties.
and move around.

Panties in a bunch? How ironic. I actually find it amusing how you speak with such certainty on subjects your obviously not too familiar with.

And he would've did more than just "dismantle SOMEONE's career. As cocky, arrogant and egotistical as he is dont you think someone would've called him out at some point in his close to 20 year career? There's a reason no one has. Think about it.

to fully appreciate it."

I'm 24, but the thing is I love a lot of rap from that era and earlier. Loved the albums from NWA, Eric B. & Rakim, Dre, KRS-One in the BDP days, Public Enemy, Wu-tang, Ghetto boys. I listen to and love all sorts of music that was made before I was even born, but those 2 cube albums I just couldn't get with them.
That's funny that you say you liked the Public Enemy albums production and didn't like the first Cube album when it was produced by Bomb Squad and sounded exactly like a Public Enemy album production wise. But hey I can understand, I feel 90% of what's out now has terrible production because it's like the Hip-Hop world just made three beats and pass them around.

Panties in a bunch? How ironic. I actually find it amusing how you speak with such certainty on subjects your obviously not too familiar with.
And he would've did more than just "dismantle SOMEONE's career. As cocky, arrogant and egotistical as he is dont you think someone would've called him out at some point in his close to 20 year career? There's a reason no one has. Think about it.
Man aint nobody scared of that *****. He doesn't even write **** for the 10 best. He goes at the 10 hottest. Not the same.

In 2012 he ain't doing much, but for the first 15 years of his career he could've gotten at ANYBODY and at the very least held his own!

Why would he need to write about the 10 best? These are guys who have already solidified themselves. He writes about the hottest 10 in case any of them try to get out of pocket because thy have a billboard top 10 single. Too many half assed rappers try and act brand new when they reach that point. He just letting them know that he'll bring them back to reality. And he has!

I actually think its cool KRS does that. Its refreshing someone cares about rap as an artform instead of someone rapping cause they have a youtube account. Also, KRS losing to Nelly (which is debatebale but I'm not mad), I gained more respect for Nelly than lost with KRS one. That's much more than I can say for Drake and Common. That "why won't. The vets just let the young dudes live" tweet always makes me laugh cause that's just a cop out response.

I also think Cube is very underrated. Can't speak on his I Am The West, but not only does he have 2 really good fairly recent albums (Raw Footage & Laugh Now Cry Later), his 98/99 album is the only meh one. Everything else is high quality stuff.

As far as Bay area rappers, The Jacka, BLegit, and Ras Kass (if he's from there) are my dudes, and Keak Da Sneak when he's not rapping over fast like a nascar beats.

Your opinion didn't "bother" me so much as I found it foolish.

That had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you make music.

It just made it all the more laughable.

Tupac's rhyme style was simple but his lyrical content, beat choices (it's well documented that Pac produced a lot of his own music and gave other dude's the credit), sex appeal for the ladies, work ethic, and intelligence is what made him stand out. People love controversy and the bad boy image as well. Say what you want but Pac made great music and his material doesn't sound dated like a lot of old school artist.
I still don't see how people categorize Biggie as one of the greatest after only two albums. Would have loved to see how his work would have been after say about 4 albums. Just my opinion though.

so what's the number of albums an artist has to put out before they can be considered great/greatest? Big & Pac died so young, its crazy when you think about it 2pac was only 25 and biggie was only 24!

Back
Top Bottom