We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

i heard CJ Giles & Ranidel got into a fight last time they had a tune up game?
Ranidel got erased 4 times kaya daw napikon, hehehehe.
Sana may CJ Giles tyo na Pinoy talaga.

^ yeah..that giles guy is a great addition to the Gilas team...
and i agree, exhibiton games don't count...
smile.gif

let's wait for the coming PBA conference..

cant wait for the season to start! i really hope they allow japeth to play, malaking bagay siya para maprepare smart gilas.

its time for lito alvarez to be the bigger man and let baygons be baygons.

Mark Barocca looks like the Thriller of the Futere IMO.

Hats off to Smart-Gilas for playing superb Basketball, Still think that the PBA could beat Gilas. Tamad lang si Coach Yeng kahapon haha, Now I want to seeSmart-Gilas vs. Chot Reyes' 2007 TEAM PILIPINAS

because they knew they were getting japeth that's why they traded arwind.
anyways I dont think arwind likes Yeng style of coaching.

by the way, day before the exhibiton game of Gilas vs Powerade
Powerade held a practice, only 5 players showed + Coach Yeng

A day after the demolition of Powerade, Smart-Gilas beat the ABL bound Manila Patriots led by imports Jason Dixon and former Florida Gator Brandon Powell87-66.
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by kykoman

they didn't.

Originally Posted by icebox15

Baclao and Espiritu can be a good addition or reserve for Smart Gilas too, they can also help train Ballesteros and Slaughter in terms of defense, since they have the height already, very promising team indeed, teamwork > individual talents.

co sign

Originally Posted by kykoman

they didn't.

ahhh ok

Part of me doesn't want the SMART Gilas team to play in the PBA, they might get the PBA bad habits......though it could work the other way and PBA teamsmay get to realize how the game is different now specially internationally.

jepeh21 wrote:
icebox15 wrote:
Baclao and Espiritu can be a good addition or reserve for Smart Gilas too, they can also help train Ballesteros and Slaughter in terms of defense, since they have the height already, very promising team indeed, teamwork > individual talents.

co sign

like most of the players there that needs more polishing and improvement... Baclao and Espiritu are legit PBA bound.. it's just a waste of their time andplaying years if they suits up in a preparatory team.

Originally Posted by garfieldgnu

Part of me doesn't want the SMART Gilas team to play in the PBA, they might get the PBA bad habits......though it could work the other way and PBA teams may get to realize how the game is different now specially internationally.
i don't think this will happen because no matter what, they have their own system and will use that system regardless who they play, and ^^who's to say Elmer and Noynoy does not need any polishing and improvement in their games, the way i see it joining this team will make them betterplayers.

I disagree that it's a waste of playing years to suit up for Gilas, for 1 they can get paid at the same level as the PBA rookies. 2. they can get much moreplaying time 3.exposure is a lot better in international play. 4. training under Toroman.

Originally Posted by arsure

I disagree that it's a waste of playing years to suit up for Gilas, for 1 they can get paid at the same level as the PBA rookies. 2. they can get much more playing time 3.exposure is a lot better in international play. 4. training under Toroman.
well said

yup its a new oppurtunity that players should take advantage of.

not everyone will be given that oppurtunity so instead of passing it up, they should make the most out of it.

Pampagulo talaga yang Smart Gilas team na yan eh hehehehe.
Cguro if long term & pera-pera they'll opt to play sa PBA.
Swerte talaga to be coached by Toroman but i don't think all of them will play that long sa PBA.

^exactly! it's a no brainer why Rico, Jervy, Ogie etc pass on joining Gilas and opted to get on the draft instead. the only opportunity there is for thoseplayers that's unsure of getting on the pro's.

even some of the players there might get in to PBA after their Gilas stint but i doubt if they could stay in the league after two seasons max.

maswerte sila at pinatulan nalang nila Andy, Japeth and Dylan yung offer nila
laugh.gif

^^These things are also what they were saying before sa mga players ng NCC. Those players did not turn pro until naulila sila ng tumakas si Danding Cojuangcodahil sa EDSA revolution. People did not consider the "Pinoy players" there as very good kasi they have Chip Engelland, Jeff Moore and Dennis Still.People at that time considered the pros as the best players. Pero nung mag pro yung mga Pinoy sa SMB/Magnolia, they proved na magagaling sila (Samboy, HectorCalma, Yves Dignadice, Elmer Reyes, Franz Pumaren plus Allan Caidic and Jerry Codinera later on).

The point is kung magagaling yung mga Pinoy nung NCC time, bakit hindi sila nag pro? At kung ano man yung reason na yun (probably ok ang allowance/salary nila)e di ba kayang gawin at ibigay din ng Smart Gilas yun?

The thing is, we have a "team" and a system fit for international games. That's what they're for. We're no longer relying on Pros whocan't deliver because of politics. We don't certainly need talent alone. We're not the NBA for crying out loud.

its refreshing to see something new, or at least different.

i can understand why some of the college kids opted for the pba, after all they're not just playing for themselves but for their families as well.

sayang lang yung bagong oppurtunity, the pba naman is an institution and would always be there unlike a new program like smart gilas.

meron lang talagang ayaw magrisk or takot sa pagbabago.

pioneers and trailblazers are the ones who make it big.

Gilas is indeed promising, just need some more big men to back-up Japeth and Giles, and our guard spots are smaller, they need to have a big guards, maybe likeGabe Norwood, but the system wise, it's really great to see the 5 on the floor moving around, even without the ball, teamwork will make it happen

hosengsisiw wrote:
^^These things are also what they were saying before sa mga players ng NCC. Those players did not turn pro until naulila sila ng tumakas si Danding Cojuangco dahil sa EDSA revolution. People did not consider the "Pinoy players" there as very good kasi they have Chip Engelland, Jeff Moore and Dennis Still. People at that time considered the pros as the best players. Pero nung mag pro yung mga Pinoy sa SMB/Magnolia, they proved na magagaling sila (Samboy, Hector Calma, Yves Dignadice, Elmer Reyes, Franz Pumaren plus Allan Caidic and Jerry Codinera later on).

The point is kung magagaling yung mga Pinoy nung NCC time, bakit hindi sila nag pro? At kung ano man yung reason na yun (probably ok ang allowance/salary nila) e di ba kayang gawin at ibigay din ng Smart Gilas yun?

i see your point but back in the day there's not a lot of players yet. so whoever gets in the door first gets the best offer wether it's in thepro's or amatuer, not counting that players should be a resident employee of respective team..

don't get me wrong Gilas is a nice program, has a good staff and management and the funding is even great! but now a days specially marquee players, theywanna cash in their stock while it's up and they're young and able..
so what they look is a more stable organization for a steady income. that's why most of the players would prefer suiting up right away for any SMC Teams orthe other big teams.

If Gilas would only be a standard pool for National team just like with China, Taiwan and Korea are doing, with the same perks and maximum compenstion as thepro's can offer.. then i wouldn't be surprise if top amatuer players or even pro's will take them seriously just to get in.
but as of now Gilas is just a 3-4 yr max project that who knows next what will happen after 2012..

We all know pba has talent. They were able to stay close againts powerhouse Iran and Jordan playing DIY plays. Last Fiba, our team has probably the best teamfrom the 4th player upto the 15th. The problem is, the top 3 players of the other team is much better than our top 3. Without proper plays and teamwork,there's no way we can beat those teams. The best case scenario is to have a team coached by Toroman having a good mix of pba and amateurs to keep the teamyoung and future proof. But we all know its not possible. It is a profesional league and the teams has to earn money. Having Smart Gilas is actually good forthe pba as players will come and go as better talent and/or age comes along. Most of them will end up playing in the pba. Hopefully this will help pba slowlytransform into international style of play.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have young guys playing playing together than a bunch of allstars playing without purpose. Imo, majority of smart gilasplayers are pba level anyways esp those players 6'4 and above. They're tall, mobile and their outside shooting is improving. If you look at the pbateams right now, maybe 1/3 will be out of the league in 2 yrs. Its not like the pba is loaded with talent. And with the training and internationalcompetitions, it'll make them reach their max potential. Like for Japeth, I dont think he'll reach his potential playing against 6'6 centers. Itwould be better for him if he could compete againts giles in practice and compete against 7footers in europe. Sayang thin si Rico, I think he'll end upbeing avg in the pba. He could've been a nice addition to Smart. A defensive stopper ala Tayshaun Prince. Jervy on the other hand can play but his styleand height doesnt fit the international play. Sayang din si Chris Ross though his J needs a lot of work.

Hopefully Gilas can continue long term not just 3-4yrs

Back
Top Bottom