We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

CHARITY HOOPS DOUBLEHEADER SLATED ON MONDAY

smart20gilas20vs20power.jpg

Tue, 09/29/2009

A doubleheader featuring the best and brightest local amateur and pro hoop stars entitled "Pinoy Basketball: Kakampi N'yo" will raise funds forthe victims of Typhoon Ondoy this coming Monday, October 5 at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City.

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) headed by president Manny V. Pangilinan, is spearheading the move backed by all of its principal stakeholders -namely the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), the Liga Pilipinas, the Universities Athletic Association of thePhilippines (UAAP) and National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA).

The game will be presented by the SBP and the PLDT/SMART Foundation in cooperation with the Araneta Center, which is making the Big Dome available for thisendeavor for free.

The first game at 5 PM will feature a combined UAAP-NCAA selection against a team composed of PBL and Liga stalwarts while the second game at 7:15 pm pits theSMART Gilas National Developmental Team against the PBA-backed Powerade-Team Pilipinas.

Ticket prices are P200 for patron, P100 for lower box and P50 for Upper A section while entrance to the Upper B and general admission sections will be madeopen to the public in exchange for donations in the form of footwear which will then be given to the victims of the most recent calamity that had affected somany of our countrymen, some of whom even lost their lives. Among those who perished was Tony Chua, the former PBA chairman and Barako Bull team manager/boardrepresentative in whose memory the winning team's trophy shall be awarded.

source: http://www.pba.com.ph/top...ubleheader-slated-monday

2 days ago I called up Ticketnet to ask for ticket's availability for the charity game, yesterday Tom sent me a message that his friend tried to buy apatron or lower box tickets and the personnel told his friend that the tickets are not available, a few minutes ago, I tried calling up Ticketnet, thepersonnel at first told me there are available patron, lower box, upper a, b and gen ad, when I asked if there still a lot of patron and lower box, he suddenlytold me that patron and lower box are already sold out.. I'm sure there's something with the organizers, if this indeed a charity project, theydon't need to keep those tickets

Ginebra routs Slingers 77-72

Small forward Mark Caguioa top-scored for Ginebra with 24 points, with the athletic guard Ronald Tubid adding 15 points and six rebounds.

Kyle Jeffers led the Slingers with 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Michael Leblanc, making his Challenge Series debut, added 19 points and 12 rebounds of hisown.

Ginebra started the game swarming on D, clogging up the lanes, closing the channels and helping each other on the perimeter.

Every time Singapore guards Al Vergara or Hong Wei Jian drove into the paint, the smaller lineup of the Kings descended on the invader, often coming up with asteal or deflection.

The defence fuelled their running game, leading to easy points on the break. Mark Caguioa led the Kings with seven points in the first period.

Singapore had a harder time coming by points in the half-court set, but still managed to score through Kyle Jeffers and three-pointers from Vergara, Wei Longand Wei Jian, led to a 19-17 finish of the first quarter, advantage Ginebra.

The Slingers' usual surge at the beginning of the second quarter failed to materialise as the Kings continued to clamp on defence. Ginebra managed tocontinue their first quarter lockdown as Singapore were shackled for a good five minutes.

However, Ginebra's enthusiasm on the defensive end may have been a two-edged sword, as Enrico Villanueva picked up two quick fouls that led to theKings' faithful jeering in unison. Hong stepped up sank a smooth trey after Villanueva's infraction.

The teams then exchanged baskets as Ginebra began to tire and the Slingers finding their range, the opposite of their game with the Smart Gilas Pilipinas.

However, the Kings did not panic after going behind a Vergara go-ahead three with three minutes to go, their veteran savvy showing as they worked the rockround the perimeter to find Caguioa open for a trey.

The Slingers went into halftime with a 40-34 lead, behind Leblanc's efficient 14 points in the second period on 75% shooting, all within the offencewithout a play called for him.

Singapore returned to the floor with an emphasis on slowing down the game, running the offence through Jeffers as the Slingers tried to cut down on theirturnovers. Jeffers scored six points in the third.

The Kings countered by giving Eric Menk, Billy Mamaril and Ronald Tubid license in the post. With Tubid lighting up Michael Wong for eight points as thequarter wore on.

Ginebra also relied on Villanueva for the third, as the burly forward went to work.

Slingers coach Frank Arsego was forced to call a timeout with two minutes to go in the third to cool off Tubid's offensive explosion, and also insertedVergara back into the game.

'Big shot' Al return to the game paid instant dividends as he drilled a three-pointer to cut the deficit to 54-53, and he ran Singapore's offenceto perfection as he found Marcus Ng on a backdoor cut to give the Slingers the lead.

Ng was fouled on the final possession of the third quarter and sank both freethrows to give the Arsego's men a 57-54 lead.
Kings coach Jong Uiohico called a timeout with 1.8 seconds left to draw a play for a buzzer beater, but Ronald Tubid missed the half-court fling by just alittle.

Ng came to life in the fourth, as he starting taking the ball to he hoop to lead the Slingers on the charge. Singapore's ASEAN heritage player also drew acharge on Tupid, much to the ire of the Kings and their fans.

The offensive foul may have lit a flame under Ginebra as they roared back into the game, revving up their defence as they feasted on Singapore's turnoversto lead 73-65 with less than five minutes to go.

Singapore was down 75-70 with 23 seconds left when Kyle Jeffers received the ball in the post. The Slingers center took the ball to the basket, but waspummeled in the back by Kings point guard Celino Cruz as he went up for the shot. Words were exchanged and a fistcuff almost broke out but both teams quicklyput it out. Jeffers missed the ensuing freethrows.

The Slingers started fouling to stop the clock after Jeffers' missed pair but they could not close the gap as they fell 77-72 in the end.

http://teampilipinas.info/2009/09/singapore-slingers-vs-barangay-ginebra.html

75281417874230497394380.jpg

Some Patron and Lower Box Tickets were transferred to the PBA Office in Libis and are available to the public.Not sure of how many are still up for grabs. Call Ticketnet for more info.
smile.gif

UAAP/NCAA All-Star Line-Up

Players:
Joshua Webb - DLSU
Jan Colina - Adamson

Jeric Fortuna - UST

Jewel Ponferrada - NU

Woody Co - UP

Paul Sanga - FEU

Reil Cervantes - FEU

Mark Sarangay - Mapua

Allan Mangahas - Mapua

TG Guillermo - Mapua

Anjelo Montecastro - CSB

Gelo De Guzman - CSB

Mac Abulusion - CSB

John Tan - CSB

Head Coaches:

Glenn Capacio - FEU

Richard del Rosario - CSB

Originally Posted by manilaboyxix

smh at giles, r. de ocampo, peek, dillinger and cardona.

at least they're serious in practice.
Ranidel, Cardona & Giles are known as hot heads. But SMH on Peek and Dillinger...
tired.gif

TNT reportedly most of the time loses against the amateurs of Smart-Gilas, maybe they're getting frustrated and humiliated.

Exciting part is, they're both controlled by MVP.

De Ocampo and Giles will face each other again as Powerade and Smart-Gilas square-off tonight. I smell trouble.
tongue.gif

Anyway, it's for charity so I hope they keep it cool.

Delayed telecast on C/S 9 @ 6 PM.

^thanks for the heads up bro. damn, gilas is schooling powerade team. the team game of gilas is smoking yeng's defense. also japeth showing his worth. 33pointers for the big man but still IMO its still unfair for BK on him flaking on the team.

Oh well, missed most of it. At least I'll get to see the 4th quarter, hehehe. Btw, who won the 1st game?

Liga Pilipinas/ PBL won by 10, UAAP/NCAA lead the first half as big as 16, but they relax during the 2nd half, and Capacio benched most of the UAAP playerstoo, Cervantes did well for the UAAP/NCAA too

Gilas is showing who the real national team is. That slam of Japeth Aguilar sure made Coach Yeng look real silly and salty
grin.gif

Well, I have to say I'm loving Smart Gilas' game right now!!!
happy.gif
Hehehehe.

Nice alley to C.J. Giles from Chris Tiu!!!
pimp.gif

^international type of play yet exciting especially their defense and offensive rotations! they are moving with or without the ball! That's the way weshould play the game here in the Philippines. im amazed! they should keep up this style! Giles and Aguilar and Ramos very versatile F/Cs. And props to theguards, Jv Casio and Andy Baroca and Abbabou.

[color= rgb(102, 0, 204)]it's the length of one day.
One Half.
One shot clock.
This number is my promise,
to dominate every moment

24[/color]

^ teamates first daw before himself, that's commitment!
laugh.gif

[color= rgb(102, 0, 204)]it's the length of one day.
One Half.
One shot clock.
This number is my promise,
to dominate every moment

24[/color]

Just came from the game, 4 seats behind pareng quinito hehe. Galing ng Gilas, everybody's moving on offense. All 5 players either sets screens, or runsthrough screens. Powerade on the other hand, kanya-kanyang diskarte. Siguro 70-75% of their shots were open. Powerade on the other hand cguro 20% lang angopen.

The only problem they might encounter is they're a bit short on sg. Casio and Tiu can play but I dont know how will they play on the international level.Individually, they're having a hard time guarding the likes of Yap and Dillinger. good thing they have Japeth and Giles to help them. Maybe the fil-aussiewill take there place in the future. Or maybe Norwood and Dillinger. I hope they can add Mirza even as a practice player. He's a 6'4 guard and has longwingspan. Espiritu at sg is good also.

Back
Top Bottom