WATCHMEN Movie Thread: Directors Cut is out (updated: deleted scene)

Originally Posted by DubA169

in the watchmen featurettes what is that MUSIC at the very beginning

it's soooooo familiar, I need that tune bad

anyone know what it is? I'm 99 percent sure it's def not made for the watchmen. Wow I can;t remember it's bothering me very bad.

Muse- Take a Bow

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

The motion comic looks ill.

watched it last night. it's long, but ill doesnt even begin to describe it. Totally put me in the mood to watch the feature film
only thing is that the guy voicing the guys does the females too...kinda throws you off in some scenes, especially the sex ones
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif

I just finished the graphic novel.

Wow is all I have to say.

The pot twists and the depth of the story is really something else.

Cant wait to see the movie now.

Heads up. If you buy any X-Box Live product at Best Buy you get the Watchmen Movie Pack for free. They include 2 free movie passes each.

I picked up two 1600 MS point cards and gonna sell the movie tickets to my friends for like $7 each lol.

Should I go see this in IMAX?

I loved the graphic novel and can't wait to see this movie but the closest IMAX is like 30 miles away and the tickets cost more, plus I have a Cinemarkgift card that I can't use for the IMAX.

Should I go all the way for the IMAX or should I just stay and see it at a regular theatre?

Originally Posted by cashbox sunrise

Should I go see this in IMAX?

I loved the graphic novel and can't wait to see this movie but the closest IMAX is like 30 miles away and the tickets cost more, plus I have a Cinemark gift card that I can't use for the IMAX.

Should I go all the way for the IMAX or should I just stay and see it at a regular theatre?

it's kinda really up to you.
Personally, I always go to see movies in the best medium possible, whatever that may be at the time (IMAX, 3D, DLP projection, giant screen, etc)
So yes...go see it in IMAX.

Anyone else feel this movie might not exceed expectations [sale wise]? I feel like the buzz isn't as big as I'd expect it to be. Unless its just in myarea.

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

Anyone else feel this movie might not exceed expectations [sale wise]? I feel like the buzz isn't as big as I'd expect it to be. Unless its just in my area.

+1
i think that's why they went with a spring release instead of a summer one. Plus you have to add in the whole 20 Century Fox stall that hampered the timingof the marketing schedule.

i just got done reading the graphic novel.
can someone explain to me the significance of the comic within the comic?

pm me or put it in a spoiler.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

****************SPOILERS*****************

Tales of the Black Freighter

Watchmen features a story within a story in the form of Tales of the Black Freighter, a fictional comic book from which scenes appear in issues three, five,eight, nine, ten, and eleven. The fictional comic's story, "Marooned", is read by a black youth in New York City.[23] Moore and Gibbons conceiveda pirate comic because they reasoned that since the characters of Watchmen experience superheroes in real life, "they probably wouldn't be at allinterested in superhero comics."[31] Gibbons suggested a pirate theme, and Moore agreed in part because he is "a big [Berthold] Brecht fan": theBlack Freighter alludes to the song "Seeräuberjenny" ("Pirate Jenny") from Brecht's Threepenny Opera.[3] Moore theorized that sincesuperheroes existed, and existed as "objects of fear, loathing, and scorn, the main superheroes quickly fell out of popularity in comic books, as wesuggest. Mainly, genres like horror, science fiction, and piracy, particularly piracy, became prominent--with EC riding the crest of the wave."[12] Moorefelt that "the imagery of the whole pirate genre is so rich and dark that it provided a perfect counterpoint to the contemporary world ofWatchmen".[12] The writer expanded upon the premise so that its presentation in the story would add subtext and allegory.[32] The supplemental articledetailing the fictional history of Tales of the Black Freighter at the end of issue five credits real-life artist Joe Orlando as a major contributor to theseries. Moore chose Orlando because he felt that if pirate stories were popular in the Watchmen universe that DC editor Julius Schwartz might have tried tolure the artist over to the company to draw a pirate comic book. Orlando contributed a drawing designed as if it were a page from the fake title to thesupplemental piece.[12]

"Marooned" tells the story of a young mariner's journey to warn his home town of the coming of the Black Freighter after he survives thedestruction of his own ship. According to Richard Reynolds, during the mariner's journey he is "forced by the urgency of his mission to shed oneinhibition after another", including using the bodies of his dead shipmates as a make-shift raft and mistakenly killing innocent people as he makes hisway to town. When he finally returns home, believing it to already be under the occupation of the ship's crew, he accidentally attacks his own wife intheir darkened home. Afterward, he returns to the sea shore, where he finds the Black Freighter; he swims out to sea and climbs aboard the ship.[33] Moore hassaid that the story of The Black Freighter ends up specifically describing "the story of Adrian Veidt".[31] Reynolds states that just like Veidt, theprotagonist of "Marooned" "hopes to stave off disaster by using the dead bodies of his former comrades as a means of reach his goal".[34]Moore has said that "Marooned" can also be used as a counterpoint to other parts of the story, such as Rorschach's capture and Dr.Manhattan's self-exile on Mars.[31]

I got to see this movie tonight for a free advance screening at my local Marine Base. I have to say this movie is a big LETDOWN, which really didn'tsurprise me considering all the problems this movie had just to get made. The character development & plot of the movie was just done all wrong in thismovie. Also the director on the action and fight scenes in this movie focused to much on slow motion bone crunching and gruesome blood scenes.

I wont be spending money on this movie to see it in IMAX and won't be buying this on blu-ray when it does come out .

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Anyone else feel this movie might not exceed expectations [sale wise]? I feel like the buzz isn't as big as I'd expect it to be. Unless its just in my area.

+1
i think that's why they went with a spring release instead of a summer one. Plus you have to add in the whole 20 Century Fox stall that hampered the timing of the marketing schedule.

I don't think it would be as big as TDK as the viral sites for that movie has been running a year to a year and a half before the movie released.
This one will do well in the box office, at least $50-$60 million the first weekend, actually, it's probably not too far fetched for it to reach $80-$100million in the first weekend.
We'll see in a few days I guess.

Originally Posted by john23friend85

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Hopefully they used female voices for the female characters in the motion comic though.
Same dude the whole way through.
Which was very annoying in the beginning, but over time I got used to it...

I see what you're saying. There will be those who watch it because it's a superhero movie, but I'm thinking the average folk might endup not liking the film because it's not your average superhero flick/story. I just finished the last couple chapters of the motion comic and I'm allfor unconventional endings, but I just wasn't feeling the conclusion of Watchmen...it's deeper than it looks and I appreciate a good story withsubstance, but the ending is underwhelming IMO.

And yeah...I do realize this was during the Cold War years...

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

****************SPOILERS*****************

Tales of the Black Freighter

Watchmen features a story within a story in the form of Tales of the Black Freighter, a fictional comic book from which scenes appear in issues three, five, eight, nine, ten, and eleven. The fictional comic's story, "Marooned", is read by a black youth in New York City.[23] Moore and Gibbons conceived a pirate comic because they reasoned that since the characters of Watchmen experience superheroes in real life, "they probably wouldn't be at all interested in superhero comics."[31] Gibbons suggested a pirate theme, and Moore agreed in part because he is "a big [Berthold] Brecht fan": the Black Freighter alludes to the song "Seeräuberjenny" ("Pirate Jenny") from Brecht's Threepenny Opera.[3] Moore theorized that since superheroes existed, and existed as "objects of fear, loathing, and scorn, the main superheroes quickly fell out of popularity in comic books, as we suggest. Mainly, genres like horror, science fiction, and piracy, particularly piracy, became prominent--with EC riding the crest of the wave."[12] Moore felt that "the imagery of the whole pirate genre is so rich and dark that it provided a perfect counterpoint to the contemporary world of Watchmen".[12] The writer expanded upon the premise so that its presentation in the story would add subtext and allegory.[32] The supplemental article detailing the fictional history of Tales of the Black Freighter at the end of issue five credits real-life artist Joe Orlando as a major contributor to the series. Moore chose Orlando because he felt that if pirate stories were popular in the Watchmen universe that DC editor Julius Schwartz might have tried to lure the artist over to the company to draw a pirate comic book. Orlando contributed a drawing designed as if it were a page from the fake title to the supplemental piece.[12]

"Marooned" tells the story of a young mariner's journey to warn his home town of the coming of the Black Freighter after he survives the destruction of his own ship. According to Richard Reynolds, during the mariner's journey he is "forced by the urgency of his mission to shed one inhibition after another", including using the bodies of his dead shipmates as a make-shift raft and mistakenly killing innocent people as he makes his way to town. When he finally returns home, believing it to already be under the occupation of the ship's crew, he accidentally attacks his own wife in their darkened home. Afterward, he returns to the sea shore, where he finds the Black Freighter; he swims out to sea and climbs aboard the ship.[33] Moore has said that the story of The Black Freighter ends up specifically describing "the story of Adrian Veidt".[31] Reynolds states that just like Veidt, the protagonist of "Marooned" "hopes to stave off disaster by using the dead bodies of his former comrades as a means of reach his goal".[34] Moore has said that "Marooned" can also be used as a counterpoint to other parts of the story, such as Rorschach's capture and Dr. Manhattan's self-exile on Mars.[31]

THANKS FOR THAT

that part always went over my head while reading. Honestly I skimmed alot of the pirate comic I just wasn;t feeling it

Just got done watching the movie and all I gotta say is INCREDIBLE.
Graphics were insane,story line was great ,stuck to book for the most part.
But overall DOPE movie!!!!!

Silk
pimp.gif
and Rorschach is BEAST!!!!!! Might have to go see it again on Friday!!!!

Back
Top Bottom