Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2012-2013 season ended as it began - with a long, frustrating losing streak fraught with injuries.  

There were, however, quite a few bright spots along the way, and this thread has definitely been one of them.  Thanks so much to all of our participants - especially the regular crew of long-suffering Wiz fans - for making our season-long conversation together lively, interesting, and friendly.  

Everything that typically makes it miserable to discuss sports online - trolling, bashing, pettiness, pretension, and hyperbole - have been absent from our season thread, and I have each of you to thank for that.  

Let's hope we can keep it up throughout what promises to be a busy off-season, and into what could very well be Washington's first winning year in the John Wall era.  Though Washington's roster could use a few tweaks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, where this thread is concerned, we can bring this same team back next year.

Thanks for a great season!  
:pimp: Glad we have a class guy like Meth running this. No nonsense in here like some of the other season threads.

I have to say, this has been one of the most entertaining Wizards seasons in a while. It looks like this may be the last era where the words "tank" and "lottery" will be a major part of our discussion. Here's to a great 2013-2014.

Well....

.500 with Wall? Nope.

9th seed? Nope.

30 wins? Nope.

Maybe Ted finally makes some moves in the offseason

Man slow motion better than no motion

Next season that 8th spot is ours
I dont want the 8th spot. 1-6 spot I would be ok with. Get the 8th spot and miss out on a loaded draft just to get blown out in the first round. No thanks

I'm hoping that either Nene retires or is traded. For the sake of the franchise, the trade for him made sense. However, he'll never be healthy. He could be a good pickup on a contending team as someone who could come off the bench and provide a spark in 15-20 minutes or so. For us, his purpose was served and now he can go. I think the leadership is going to be fine with Wall, Okafor, Webster(if he's re-signed), etc. If EG is smart (LOL), he'll try his best to move him. He's clearly a depreciating asset.

*Marcus Smart staying in school REALLY hurts. Makes Cody Zeller all that much more of a realistic selection for us when we eventually draft 8th. :smh:

I'm hoping that either Nene retires or is traded. For the sake of the franchise, the trade for him made sense. However, he'll never be healthy. He could be a good pickup on a contending team as someone who could come off the bench and provide a spark in 15-20 minutes or so. For us, his purpose was served and now he can go. I think the leadership is going to be fine with Wall, Okafor, Webster(if he's re-signed), etc. If EG is smart (LOL), he'll try his best to move him. He's clearly a depreciating asset.

*Marcus Smart staying in school REALLY hurts. Makes Cody Zeller all that much more of a realistic selection for us when we eventually draft 8th.
mean.gif
It might me hard to trade him. We still owe like $39 million.

It might me hard to trade him. We still owe like $39 million.

If anything we've learned, no trade is impossible in the NBA. Probably have to take on an equally bad contract, but getting someone in here who has relatively good health and can contribute for 70+ games in a season would be great.

We need a new coach.... just heard Whitman was crying in the locker room after losing the 12th game in a row against the spurs in the beginning of the season....To me that shows weakness and we need somebody strong for the young players that we got...

We need a new coach.... just heard Whitman was crying in the locker room after losing the 12th game in a row against the spurs in the beginning of the season....To me that shows weakness and we need somebody strong for the young players that we got...

lets bring back bernie bickerstaff!

This team isn't making the playoffs next season.

Don't fool yourselves.
IF Nene is healthy (and that's as big as an if can get) why not?

Remember, the Wizards play in the East. We are better than the Bucks right now. I don't mean as my opinion, we straight up had a better record than them over those 40-something games with Wall in the lineup. And we beat them twice during that stretch as I recall. So you figure that if the team was healthy, in all likelihood Washington would have gotten the 8th spot this season.

When you look at the East lottery teams, the Wizards pretty clearly have the best roster of that group. The other teams are too young or will be in tank-for-Wiggins mode. The only other squad that will be in contention for the 8 seed is Toronto.

I would bet my life savings that one of either Milwaukee, Washington, or Toronto gets the 8th seed.

When you look at the East lottery teams, the Wizards pretty clearly have the best roster of that group. The other teams are too young or will be in tank-for-Wiggins mode. The only other squad that will be in contention for the 8 seed is Toronto.

I would bet my life savings that one of either Milwaukee, Washington, or Toronto gets the 8th seed.
If every team started next season with their current rosters, I'd agree with you - but there's a lot that can happen between now and then.  

We still don't know who will win the draft lottery, we don't know what's going to happen on the trade/free agent/coaching front...  it's just too early to say that our best or only competition for the 8th seed will be Milwaukee and Toronto.  Had Bynum been healthy, for example, it's entirely possible that Philly would be in the eighth spot right now.  

It'll probably come down to injuries this coming season as well, and we've been pretty shaky on that front.  
Then he remembered that he's making $13 million a year for the next three years.  

That should make his tailor very happy, as we can all look forward to seeing him on the sideline in dozens of new suits between now and the time flying cars are commonplace.
sick.gif
@ Cody Zeller
mean.gif
I've accepted the fact that we'll be drafting one of these guys:

Zeller
Len
Euro
Ernie must be stopped.  This guy won't rest until he drafts the next Robert Swift.

Don't read on a full stomach:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...in-washington/2012/06/26/gJQAUgEQ3V_blog.html
We need a new coach....
Agreed.  Enough of this fool's gold nonsense.  There are two new vacancies in the Eastern conference now alone.  We should've brought in a good coach last year.  Now, we're just going to sit there and watch our rivals take the top names off the board so Ted can eke out another year of Wittman's minimal coaching contract?  

I thought Abe pinched his pennies hard... Ted's out here trying to squeeze dimes into diamonds. 

I always am puzzled why teams draft international players so high, the good ones are a dime a dozen, and most of them can't handle the heavy expectations of being a lottery pick

Yes, I am looking at Jan Vesley, I still am confused why we took him :smh:

I'd only trade the pick if it involved bringing in one of these two guys:

Kevin Love
Demarcus COusins

Neither of which will probably happen.

After the Miller/Foye debacle (and other blunders), why do the players put their trust in EG that he'll actually make a smart decision?

Oy vey....

If every team started next season with their current rosters, I'd agree with you - but there's a lot that can happen between now and then.  

We still don't know who will win the draft lottery, we don't know what's going to happen on the trade/free agent/coaching front...  it's just too early to say that our best or only competition for the 8th seed will be Milwaukee and Toronto.  Had Bynum been healthy, for example, it's entirely possible that Philly would be in the eighth spot right now.  

It'll probably come down to injuries this coming season as well, and we've been pretty shaky on that front.  
True. Part of that was me projecting, that no draft pick this year will have a significant impact on any particular team. Noel may not even play in the 2013-2014 season, and none of the other prospects are going to drag any of these teams out of the cellar. And most of those teams are too inept to make good moves in free agency, hence why they're in the cellar in the first place. We'll see what happens though.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/4/19/4241702/nba-draft-2013-washington-wizards-john-wall

John Wall quote

"I really don't want to worry about the draft. We're going the right way with winning, so we need to keep going with veterans and not keep going to the draft and get younger," Wall said, "but that's how I feel. It's not my decision. It's upstairs and I think they'll do a great job."

Oh boy! here we go!  Foye/Miller deal coming up.
:smh:

I wasn't feeling this draft as much, but as of late it's growing on me. Not so much in finding franchise-level talent, but in finding guys who really can contribute right away. I think Len, Porter, Bennett would be really solid picks. Len strikes me as someone who could be a Valanciunas type (who was a great pick for the Raptors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom