Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
eh...whats better? getting a gsiii and flashing it with 4.2 or getting an n4

price is not a problem. and ill also betting lte...

I was in the same boat, but I made up my mind. I'm getting the Nexus 4 w/ a prepaid T-Mobile sim so I can utilize HSPA+ 42 Mbps. It's your preference. If you want the latest updates and quad core processor w/ 2 GB ram, get the N4.

If you want LTE (if your carrier provides it in your area) and extra storage from the microSD card but can wait for later software updates get the S3. You can root your phone and install Jelly Bean before the official Samsung software releases but I think the Nexus line will always be the first device to get software updates. The international version has a quad core processor but doesn't support LTE.

My upgrade isn't available until May 2013, so this was a no brainer for me. I can't wait until my upgrade for a new phone so I can finally drop iOS and start using Android. iOS just got too stale and repetitive.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, but I made up my mind. I'm getting the Nexus 4 w/ a prepaid T-Mobile sim so I can utilize HSPA+ 42 Mbps. It's your preference. If you want the latest updates and quad core processor w/ 2 GB ram, get the N4.
If you want LTE (if your carrier provides it in your area) and extra storage from the microSD card but can wait for later software updates get the S3. You can root your phone and install Jelly Bean before the official Samsung software releases but I think the Nexus line will always be the first device to get software updates. The international version has a quad core processor but doesn't support LTE.
My upgrade isn't available until May 2013, so this was a no brainer for me. I can't wait until my upgrade for a new phone so I can finally drop iOS and start using Android. iOS just got too stale and repetitive.

Another one to Team Android. Good job for seeing the light :pimp:

Does the Google Play store sell phone cases for their Nexus phones as well?

Figured it would be great if I order the N4 and a case with it through them if they do.

-Drew

a bumper is confirmed to be made available the same time as the n4. didn't see anything about a case, but i wouldn't want to hide that good looking backplate with one anyway.

Last edited:
a bumper is confirmed to be made available the same time as the n4. didn't see anything about a case, but i wouldn't want to hide that good looking backplate with one anyway.

Good stuff, man.

You happen to have a link to a pic of the bumper? :nerd:

Edit:
Found a pic.
Hopefully Zagg makes a way to protect the back.

-Drew

Last edited:
Just copped the Note 2 for Sprint.

Phone is serious. Still hate touchwiz though. Phone size and LTE is awesome though. 

[COLOR=#red]Would it be too much to ask for your impressions of it in a bulleted list?[/COLOR]
For a fellow Aggie fan hell nawl.

[Pros]
[*] Speed. The N2 is dumb fast stock. I root phones and this is faster than any phone that I have had rooted. I have been multitasking like crazy and haven't seen one hiccup yet. I can't really say much more about it :lol:.
[*] The screen size is gnarly at first but becomes normal sized after a couple of days use. One hand use is actually very possible for most people (Well, if you can palm a bball). I use it as a tablet so reading my textbooks and power-points is a pleasant experience as well. Also, I have GTA 3 and a few other games and the screen is top notch for that.
[*] Camera. I am not really that knowledgable when it comes to cameras but the camera and s-pen features create much more possibilities. I came from a S3 and can tell that the quality is the same. Which is not bad AT ALL. I would say the N2 camera experience is better because of the s-pen and capture/gallery features.
[*] S-pen. I am still learning the ropes but I hardly ever put it down. You can draw on any screen/app/picture and do what you want with it. You can actually be very creative because there are a lot of customization options (I am no artist tho :lol:). It also works REALLY good with swipe etc. There is an indicator that pops up in the notification bar when it is detached and an alarm when it is out of reach (if you get up and leave it somewhere).

Below is a pic that I sent to my friend who I am playing today in FF.

nxoz01.png

[*]Battery. The battery is very good. On my third charge now and the life is actually getting better. Been using it like a bawse too :pimp:

1st charge
2hqa492.png

2evvkht.png

2nd charge
95ps80.png

2czobvp.png

• [Cons]
  • Weight. The N2 seems to be pretty heavy. I have pretty big hands and am relatively strong, but sometimes my arm gets a bit tired from extended one-hand use. It is not a deal breaker to me but some may not prefer it.
  • Size. Kind of like the weight thing, the N2 may be too big for some. Being completely honest, at first even I thought that it may be a little bit too big. I am used to it now but a smaller person with little hands may not even consider it.
  • Build. Even the tho quality isn't bad (excellent radios etc), it still has that slippery plastic-like feel that the s3 has. I am not a huge fan of it but it really isn't that serious. I guess it is better than a phone made of glass.

I am trying not to be biased but I cannot find too many cons that are deal-breaking to me personally. I think the main issue in making your decision is the size of the N2. Everything else is spot on. I probably would give it a 9.2/10.

And who knows, when development hits the AT&T version the sky may be the limit. And after that it may be a 10/10

I hope you guys found this brief review informative.

Last edited:
Don't know what happened to those bullets but whatever. I just noticed that my two battery stats are scary similar :lol:. On my 3rd charge now (like I said) and it is doing much better. I am @ 98% with 1.5 hours. Will post stats when it is at 1%

For a fellow Aggie fan hell nawl.
[Pros]
[*] Speed. The N2 is dumb fast stock. I root phones and this is faster than any phone that I have had rooted. I have been multitasking like crazy and haven't seen one hiccup yet. I can't really say much more about it :lol:.
[*] The screen size is gnarly at first but becomes normal sized after a couple of days use. One hand use is actually very possible for most people (Well, if you can palm a bball). I use it as a tablet so reading my textbooks and power-points is a pleasant experience as well. Also, I have GTA 3 and a few other games and the screen is top notch for that.
[*] Camera. I am not really that knowledgable when it comes to cameras but the camera and s-pen features create much more possibilities. I came from a S3 and can tell that the quality is the same. Which is not bad AT ALL. I would say the N2 camera experience is better because of the s-pen and capture/gallery features.
[*] S-pen. I am still learning the ropes but I hardly ever put it down. You can draw on any screen/app/picture and do what you want with it. You can actually be very creative because there are a lot of customization options (I am no artist tho :lol:). It also works REALLY good with swipe etc. There is an indicator that pops up in the notification bar when it is detached and an alarm when it is out of reach (if you get up and leave it somewhere).
Below is a pic that I sent to my friend who I am playing today in FF.
nxoz01.png

[*]Battery. The battery is very good. On my third charge now and the life is actually getting better. Been using it like a bawse too :pimp:
1st charge
2hqa492.png

2evvkht.png

2nd charge
95ps80.png

2czobvp.png

• [Cons]
  • Weight. The N2 seems to be pretty heavy. I have pretty big hands and am relatively strong, but sometimes my arm gets a bit tired from extended one-hand use. It is not a deal breaker to me but some may not prefer it.
  • Size. Kind of like the weight thing, the N2 may be too big for some. Being completely honest, at first even I thought that it may be a little bit too big. I am used to it now but a smaller person with little hands may not even consider it.
  • Build. Even the tho quality isn't bad (excellent radios etc), it still has that slippery plastic-like feel that the s3 has. I am not a huge fan of it but it really isn't that serious. I guess it is better than a phone made of glass.
I am trying not to be biased but I cannot find too many cons that are deal-breaking to me personally. I think the main issue in making your decision is the size of the N2. Everything else is spot on. I probably would give it a 9.2/10.
And who knows, when development hits the AT&T version the sky may be the limit. And after that it may be a 10/10
I hope you guys found this brief review informative.
:wow: 18 hours with 6 hours screen on?? HOW is this possible?

I'm tempted to sell my new phone and new tablet to get the Note 2 and just have all in one device. Damn you verizon for getting it so late. :smh:

What do you mean when development hits att?
Maybe I should rephrase that. When development picks up for the AT&T version of the N2. There are a couple of ROMS out now but there will be many many more (mods included). Who knows what they will come up with

One more day!

Question: For the Tmobile $30 monthly plan how long did it take to port your number over? Should I do it now since I prob won't receive the phone for a few days or do they do it instantly? I'm gonna go to walmart and cop a sim when i get the phone. I'm with Cricket now, I heard they kinda drag their *** when it comes to releasing a number.

when is the 4.2 rom gonna come out for the galaxy nexus?

i have the keyboard and camera but i want that new lockscreen where i can put widgets on.

One more day!
Question: For the Tmobile $30 monthly plan how long did it take to port your number over? Should I do it now since I prob won't receive the phone for a few days or do they do it instantly? I'm gonna go to walmart and cop a sim when i get the phone. I'm with Cricket now, I heard they kinda drag their *** when it comes to releasing a number.

I ported my # to tmobile when i was on at&t and it took less than 24 hours to do. This was also with the $30 tmobile plan.

I'm tempted to sell my new phone and new tablet to get the Note 2 and just have all in one device. Damn you verizon for getting it so late. :smh:

They withholding the note release cause they don't want cannibalize HTC DNA sales. Both of those phones are in same category. Vzw reps will be pushing the HTC “Droid" crap to you more than the note cause “droid" line is vzw bread winner. Phone exclusivity sucks though HTC needs to spot bending their backs to these carriers and com out with a phone that can keep up with S3 cause once the S4 drops *GAME OVER* for any phones. Besides the N4 the price is to good as well Google support.

Note 2 is easily the best Android phone on the market.

I will say using the Note 2 with vanilla android would limit the device. The touchwiz extras are nice and definitely add to the experience.

Note 2 is easily the best Android phone on the market.
I will say using the Note 2 with vanilla android would limit the device. The touchwiz extras are nice and definitely add to the experience.
I was thinking the same thing. That would be wild if developers could make vanilla with the touchwiz features.

You are absolutely right tho

They withholding the note release cause they don't want cannibalize HTC DNA sales. Both of those phones are in same category. Vzw reps will be pushing the HTC “Droid" crap to you more than the note cause “droid" line is vzw bread winner. Phone exclusivity sucks though HTC needs to spot bending their backs to these carriers and com out with a phone that can keep up with S3 cause once the S4 drops *GAME OVER* for any phones. Besides the N4 the price is to good as well Google support.

I hate when people spew crap like this. VZW reps don't care what phone people get as log as its 4g. Lol did vzw hold their note release back because of the HTC joint? More than likely.
But sales reps don't care if you get the lg crap 4g phone they still getting paid. Only thing reps gonna push at you is accessories because that's extra bread. Most reps if they don't have personal pref just tell people to buy what ever the newest phone in the store is unless its know for issues. There is no special commission on phones selling an iPhone 5=sellin a razr maxx as long as its 4g they good.

I hate when people spew crap like this. VZW reps don't care what phone people get as log as its 4g. Lol did vzw hold their note release back because of the HTC joint? More than likely.
But sales reps don't care if you get the lg crap 4g phone they still getting paid. Only thing reps gonna push at you is accessories because that's extra bread. Most reps if they don't have personal pref just tell people to buy what ever the newest phone in the store is unless its know for issues. There is no special commission on phones selling an iPhone 5=sellin a razr maxx as long as its 4g they good.

Not trying to be an ***, but you don't think it comes down from corporate to the stores that they should push the "Droid" branded phones more so than other Android phones? Especially considering that's probably why they delayed the note 2 release?

^^ It is just business. Point. Blank. Period.

Get the phone you want and root that bad boy. Forget updates from carriers/manufactures and do it yourself. Control your life :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom