UPDATE: 8 Year old boy being charged with double homicide

Crazy.. What was his cause for the shootings???
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

This is why when I have children they will not have guns to play with or play those violent video games. I'll be damn sure to talk to them about guns too. Parents these days are so irresponsible about this topic.
That's how I feel. My son is 3 and I have no intention of letting him play any kind of violent video games for a long while. I seriouslydon't care if it makes him the biggest nerd in school. I really do think it de-sensitizes some kinds to violence, particularly if it is compounded by theparents not making an effort to talk to the kids about violence.

Anyway, as for this story, I'd really like to hear what provoked the kid to do this.

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Originally Posted by 21shots

Originally Posted by Chico Dusty

AZ is wild ...
Any one have the link to the story of the two 15 year olds who shot, killed and carjacked a off duty cop because they needed a ride to go to a party?
Did they shoot the cop 21 times?

If so, ................

i aint heard of that, but again this is the hood.

my homeboy got pistolwhipped for a ride ...

[h3]Disturbing details emerge[/h3]
On the night of his death, Gerrard was on his way home from Wal-Mart, where he picked up an air mattress for a visiting relative, police said.

Court documents show Vasquez told police he snuck out of his house around 11:30 p.m. Oct. 18 and met Cannon at a nearby park. The two teens wantedto steal a car to drive to a party in Goodyear.

Vasquez told officers they walked to a busier road, where one boy laid in the street while the other hid behind a pillar with a gun.

When Gerrard stopped to help the boy in the street, the other ran up and shot him in the head.

Both teens told police the same story but implicated the other as the gunman. Police are still trying to determine who pulled the trigger. They won'tsay who owned the 12-gauge shotgun or how the boys obtained it.

A child car seat and stroller were dumped before continuing to the party, according to Maricopa County Superior Court records. Later, the gun was in thedesert and Gerrard's car keys were dumped in a park trash can.

Officers said they recovered all of the items where the boys said they dumped them.

A passer-by found Gerrard's body about midnight in the median blocks from his home. A police officer later found Gerrard's partially burned car inthe desert a few miles away.

Three days later, authorities arrested Cannon and Vasquez in connection with the murder.

The Cannons were new to Tartesso, a quiet secluded community with fewer than 1,000 families. But a neighbor described them as "a great family,outgoing, very friendly."

Another neighbor who knew Vasquez said he was a nice kid with an "overprotective" mother who kept a close eye on her three sons.

"He was a little scaredy-cat kid, afraid of everything," the neighbor said. "They're good people. I just feel sorry for him."

eek.gif
tired.gif

Heres the link to the full story:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/10/30/20081030docmurder1031.htmlhttp://www.azcentral.com/...0081030docmurder1031.html

Originally Posted by IllmaticBlueprint

8 year olds are capable of DOUBLE homicide???.....World's gettin crazy...
Of course the are. I don't even want to hear anybody say he didn't know right from wrong either.

Charging an 8 yr old with double homicide?
indifferent.gif

What are they gonna do? Lock him up for life? Eff outta heyaaaaaahhhhh

Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by iM COOL C

Wow.. Hold up not be off topic or derail this thread, but why no stone faces for the guy who said maybe he was a McCain supporter. Albeit it was stupid & ignorant for homeboy to say yeah he was probably black which makes him a Obama supporter. But yeah thats a crazy double standard. I hope this isn't what we'll see more of.

Because the vast majority of NT is liberal. But you're right.
this happened in Arizona... McCain is senator of Arizona, and he just lost the election.. maybe it was a play on that. and also Republicans are somuch for gun rights. there was nothing about race at all, just a shot at McCain/Republicans.

the second dude was posting on some racist %@%+. and racism will always get the
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

This is why when I have children they will not have guns to play with or play those violent video games. I'll be damn sure to talk to them about guns too. Parents these days are so irresponsible about this topic.
+1

UPDATE:
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona (AP) -- A man who police believe was shot and killed by his 8-year-old son had consulted a Roman Catholic priest about whether the boy should have a gun and had taught him how to use firearms, the clergyman said.

The Very Rev. John Paul Sauter said the man, Vincent Romero, 29, wanted his son to learn how to hunt, but the boy's stepmother, Tiffany, suggested that he have a BB gun.

Police say the boy used a 22.-caliber rifle Wednesday to kill his father and another man, Timothy Romans, 39, of San Carlos.

Romero was an avid hunter who taught his son how to use a rifle to kill prairie dogs, said Sauter, of St. Johns Catholic Church.

"He wanted to make sure the kid wasn't afraid of guns, knew how to handle it," the priest said. "He was just too young. ... That child, I don't think he knows what he did, and it was brutal."

The boy, who faces two counts of premeditated murder, did not act on the spur of the moment, St. Johns Police Chief Roy Melnick said.

"I'm not accusing anybody of anything at this point," he said Saturday. "But we're certainly going to look at the abuse part of this. He's 8 years old. He just doesn't decide one day that he's going to shoot his father and shoot his father's friend for no reason. Something led up to this."

On Friday, a judge ordered a psychological evaluation of the boy. Under Arizona law, charges can be filed against anyone 8 or older.

The boy had no record of complaints with Arizona Child Protective Services, said Apache County Attorney Brad Carlyon.

"He had no record of any kind, not even a disciplinary record at school," he said. "He has never been in trouble before."

In a sign of the emotional and legal complexities of the case, police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult even as they investigate possible abuse, Melnick said. If convicted as a minor, the boy could be sent to juvenile detention until he turns 18.
video.gif
Watch an expert's take on the situation »

Police had responded to calls of domestic violence at the Romero home, but authorities were searching records Saturday to determine when those calls were placed, Melnick said.

"We're going to use every avenue of the law that's available to us, but we're also looking at the human side," he said.

Melnick said officers arrived at Romero's home within minutes of the shooting Wednesday in St. Johns, which has a population of about 4,000 and is 170 miles northeast of Phoenix. They found one victim just outside the front door and the other dead in an upstairs room.

Romans had been renting a room at the Romero house, prosecutors said. Both men were employees of a construction company working at a power plant near St. Johns.

The boy went to a neighbor's house and said he "believed that his father was dead," Carlyon said.

Melnick said police got a confession, but the boy's attorney, Benjamin Brewer, said police overreached in questioning the boy without representation from a parent or attorney and did not advise him of his rights.

"They became very accusing early on in the interview," Brewer said. "Two officers with guns at their side, it's very scary for anybody, for sure an 8-year-old kid."

Prosecutors aren't sure where the case is headed, Carlyon said.

"There's a ton of factors to be considered and weighed, including the juvenile's age," he said. "The counterbalance against that, the acts that he apparently committed."

FBI statistics show that instances of children younger than 11 committing homicides are very rare. According to recent FBI supplementary homicide reports, there were at least three such cases each year in 2003, 2004 and 2005; there were at least 15 in 2002. More recent statistics weren't available, nor were details of the cases.

Earlier this year in Arizona, prosecutors in Cochise County filed first-degree murder charges against a 12-year-old boy accused of killing his mother.

Romero had full custody of the child. The boy's biological mother visited St. Johns during the weekend from Mississippi and returned to Arizona after the shootings, Carlyon said.

Family members declined to speak on the record.

Brewer said the boy "seems to be in good spirits."

"He's scared," he said. "He's trying to be tough, but he's scared."

Back
Top Bottom