THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E9294690-969F-4AC7-A077-04E4C6BC06E6.gif

This discussion is kind of why I don't argue when I hear someone say Kareem is their GOAT.

His resume in the game is almost second to none and his contributions/activism to justice and civil rights off the court at a time where his livelihood could be threatened for taking stands is monumental imo.

His legacy is the total package

I still can't believe how blatantly robbed Kareem was from the 1980 Finals MVP, just because he missed one last game.
Kareem's averages are obviously better than Magic's that series, but what's crazy is that if you look at the totals for that series, Kareem's numbers are still more impressive than Magic's, despite having played a game less:

1980.png

In fact, you can add Magic yet another game of his 22 ppg average on top of his points total and Kareem still would've comfortably scored more points than Magic, despite having played two games less.

Nothing. Just what dudes say to deflect.

I took the term to mean, it’s easy to type soliloquies about what these multimillionaire athletes should do with their platform when in reality, given that same platform those typists wouldn’t do **** as they likely aren’t even doing anything right now. The fact that this is revisionist activism about an event/discussion from 30 years ago also makes that faux/“keyboard” activism even worse.

Not putting words in his mouth, just interpreting the meaning from my perspective.

I took the term to mean, it’s easy to type soliloquies about what these multimillionaire athletes should do with their platform when in reality, given that same platform those typists wouldn’t do **** as they likely aren’t even doing anything right now. The fact that this is revisionist activism about an event/discussion from 30 years ago also makes that faux/“keyboard” activism even worse.

Not putting words in his mouth, just interpreting the meaning from my perspective.
100% on the money.

giphy.gif

I'm not following what you're saying. If you want to seriously have this conversation I am all for it though.
You usually come across like you're not interested in these type of topics or just want to dismiss them ie hiding the truth about Jordan's gambling. So it seems like you project your apathy/avoidance onto others with comments like 'keyboard activism<<<'. It comes across like you don't care to speak on it and anyone who does you consider to be just blowing smoke. Correct me if I'm wrong, just my interpretation.

You usually come across like you're not interested in these type of topics or just want to dismiss them ie hiding the truth about Jordan's gambling. So it seems like you project your apathy/avoidance onto others with comments like 'keyboard activism<<<'. It comes across like you don't care to speak on it and anyone who does you consider to be just blowing smoke. Correct me if I'm wrong, just my interpretation.
I don't think my opinion the Jordan gambling was a dismissal, far from it, I just thought and still do think that a witch hunt is not the way to go.

Regarding this topic, I just don't think its fair to judge someone so harshly for something that not happened 30 years ago, that he regrets, and that he was in a very compromising position to begin with. Its easy to throw out hindsight analysis while we sit here on the internet, but the cost/benefit analysis wasn't in front of our face then nor was it our choice to make.

I'm not here to finger point either, I'm far from an activist, I do what I can to uplift people and I don't even think that gives me the right to turn my nose up at MJ. He did what he thought was best at the time and to the extent that he regrets it now/says it was the wrong choice that's good enough for me.

I don't think my opinion the Jordan gambling was a dismissal, far from it, I just thought and still do think that a witch hunt is not the way to go.

Regarding this topic, I just don't think its fair to judge someone so harshly for something that not happened 30 years ago, that he regrets, and that he was in a very compromising position to begin with. Its easy to throw out hindsight analysis while we sit here on the internet, but the cost/benefit analysis wasn't in front of our face then nor was it our choice to make.

I'm not here to finger point either, I'm far from an activist, I do what I can to uplift people and I don't even think that gives me the right to turn my nose up at MJ. He did what he thought was best at the time and to the extent that he regrets it now/says it was the wrong choice that's good enough for me.
Well you literally said you hoped the truth about the extent of Jordan's gambling never comes out for the sake of his reputation and the NBA's pockets. That's not really consistent with 'there shouldn't be a witch hunt'. And again it's not about it being 30 years ago. It's relevant because the documentary is out now and we're all revisiting it. Otherwise we shouldn't have anything to say about a guy who's been retired for 20 years. I don't think it's a matter of hindsight. It was clearly a mistake at the time just as it is looking back at it now. Calling it out for what it is instead of trying to sugar coat it or bury it isn't what I would consider turning your nose up at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom