THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler Herro Appreciation :pimp: :pimp:

As long as herro is the same dude when he’s 37 and out the league I’m cool with it

Thought this video was pretty interesting. Herro invested in a chunk but stuff like this makes it pretty obvious how these dudes go broke. The dining and chef numbers seemed a bit light IMO.

giphy.gif

Well you literally said you hoped the truth about the extent of Jordan's gambling never comes out for the sake of his reputation and the NBA's pockets. That's not really consistent with 'there shouldn't be a witch hunt'. And again it's not about it being 30 years ago. It's relevant because the documentary is out now and we're all revisiting it. Otherwise we shouldn't have anything to say about a guy who's been retired for 20 years. I don't think it's a matter of hindsight. It was clearly a mistake at the time just as it is looking back at it now. Calling it out for what it is instead of trying to sugar coat it or bury it isn't what I would consider turning your nose up at it.
Its been 30 years, the only way it comes out now is either a witch hunt, or someone develops a sense of newfound "morality" 30 years after the fact. To the extent that he did gamble on NBA games including his own, people who were in the know have had ample time to come forward and any attempt to do so nowadays I would view as totally self-serving and not about the integrity of the game or anything close.

I don't think I'm trying to sugarcoat it by any means and I am aware that the documentary is what has brought it to the forefront again, my point still is I just don't think we're in a position to harshly judge the guy. But I respect your right to do so.

Tyler Herro Appreciation :pimp: :pimp:

Thought this video was pretty interesting. Herro invested in a chunk but stuff like this makes it pretty obvious how these dudes go broke. The dining and chef numbers seemed a bit light IMO.

Cool video. I'm glad he invested almost half that first million and only bought his parents one car each (for now). too many dudes buy houses right off the bat. If he tosses that much from each million into investments, just his rookie contract alone sets him up forever.

Also, that no state income tax in Florida is great, considering players are taxed based on where they play each game. He gets to play almost 50 games a year with no state income tax applied (41 home games, any road games against Orlando, one game in Tennessee, and three games in Texas). Washington is like that as well. If an NBA team came back to Seattle, it would probably be an attractive free agent destination. There are only a few states that don't have an income tax. Sales tax is a bit high, though.

Its been 30 years, the only way it comes out now is either a witch hunt, or someone develops a sense of newfound "morality" 30 years after the fact. To the extent that he did gamble on NBA games including his own, people who were in the know have had ample time to come forward and any attempt to do so nowadays I would view as totally self-serving and not about the integrity of the game or anything close.

I don't think I'm trying to sugarcoat it by any means and I am aware that the documentary is what has brought it to the forefront again, my point still is I just don't think we're in a position to harshly judge the guy. But I respect your right to do so.
Forget the 30 years element. We're all just speaking in retrospect and it's not really about punishing someone for past mistakes but moreso acknowledging the dirt that was done rather than trying to bury it which is what you explicitly said you wanted to happen. If saying someone is out of line and should've been held accountable for gambling to a point where it cost their father's life is 'harshly judging' then I guess so.

considering players are taxed based on where they play each game. He gets to play almost 50 games a year with no state income tax applied (41 home games, any road games against Orlando, one game in Tennessee, and three games in Texas). Washington is like that as well. If an NBA team came back to Seattle, it would probably be an attractive free agent destination. There are only a few states that don't have an income tax. Sales tax is a bit high, though.

I had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago...are a good amount of dudes basing FA decisions on the state income tax or is that rare?That **** can make a huge difference especially when you consider local taxes in major cities as well.

Who the **** decided Booker should be here instead of Klay? Anyways I'm taking Ray.
We've seen Steph shoot for money before. Never ends well.

I had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago...are a good amount of dudes basing FA decisions on the state income tax or is that rare?That **** can make a huge difference especially when you consider local taxes in major cities as well.
Yes they are. The average athlete is getting way more financially aware and the leagues themselves are doing a good job of putting information in front of them/helping them make better financial decisions and giving them access to real financial advisors. From the conversations I've been a part of, the tax impact plays a factor in where they go. Far from the primary driver, the tax tail should never wag the dog, but its thought about.

Who the **** decided Booker should be here instead of Klay? Anyways I'm taking Ray.
We've seen Steph shoot for money before. Never ends well.

Shocking MJ isn’t on there since ESPN tells me he’d average 45 ppg and lead the league in 3 point percentage if he played today...

It's a factor. Just not sure how much of a factor it is in the NBA. I bet it appeals more to the role players and end of bench guys, rather than stars. But, you never know. I mean, I don't think income tax considerations played a role in LeBron going to Miami. And, it's not like California's income tax is hurting him too much.

I'd say it's a big factor in the NFL. The Seahawks should naturally be an attractive destination considering the way contracts work.

In a similar vein, Oregon has no sales tax. I know that's not as impactful as state income tax, but that is appealing as well. It's the only state with an NBA team that is like that. That's why NBA players drop a lot of dough when they travel to Portland lol

Also, it's nice to have Portland close. I don't shop brick and mortar very often, but when I go to Blazers games, I load up on stuff. People who live in Vancouver (WA) have it good. Live in a no income tax state, drive across the bridge to shop. Although, they closed the loophole on buying cars in Oregon awhile ago. You have to pay taxes in your home state on any vehicle purchases lol.

It's a factor. Just not sure how much of a factor it is in the NBA. I bet it appeals more to the role players and end of bench guys, rather than stars. But, you never know. I mean, I don't think income tax considerations played a role in LeBron going to Miami. And, it's not like California's income tax is hurting him too much.

I'd say it's a big factor in the NFL. The Seahawks should naturally be an attractive destination considering the way contracts work.
I've dealt with way more NFL players than NBA players and they absolutely care. But NFL money is dumb and they have way more risk so they're forced to care more.

In a similar vein, Oregon has no sales tax. I know that's not as impactful as state income tax, but that is appealing as well. It's the only state with an NBA team that is like that. That's why NBA players drop a lot of dough when they travel to Portland lol

Also, it's nice to have Portland close. I don't shop brick and mortar very often, but when I go to Blazers games, I load up on stuff. People who live in Vancouver (WA) have it good. Live in a no income tax state, drive across the bridge to shop. Although, they closed the loophole on buying cars in Oregon awhile ago. You have to pay taxes in your home state on any vehicle purchases lol.
I've dealt with way more NFL players than NBA players and they absolutely care. But NFL money is dumb and they have way more risk so they're forced to care more.

Thank you two for the insight. I figured it must have mattered and I can especially see why for bench/fringe/role players who aren’t getting endorsement money and really maximizing their contracts.

Touche. But never forget.

Oh that was crazy for sure. It was actually the first game to come to mind when I thought of Klay for this list Especially since it was during a game.

Just watched the full highlights of every Klay bucket...He made 21 FG...only 8 of them were 3s. 13 2Ps and only 11 dribbles?!? Only 29 minutes too. Wild game, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom