The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
album is nice. strong MJ vibe, its different but its crack for what it is :nthat:

professional, the town, adaptation :x the list goes on

need another tape with that classic weeknd feel tho

yall remember this?

they need to do a part 2

Last edited:
Good lord Abel....GOOD LAWD.

I must admit, the sounds on this album are different than the Trilogy sounds, but thats not a bad thing. Dude has branched out and it is working...He's a problem bros.

This album is a problemo :x in a GOOD way.

Wow. Just listened to this with headphones on at the gym... Amazing. I don't know how he does it. I really like "Live For" but it's just not fitting to me. Maybe after a few more listens it'll connect but it just doesn't really work for me.

NPR put up a stream of it at Midnight and put up a pretty solid review.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/01/217215700/first-listen-the-weeknd-kiss-land

After his first songs appeared on the Internet in late 2010, The Weeknd's Abel Tesfaye slowly crept under the sheets between Drake's brokenhearted bravado and the confessional cynicism of Frank Ocean with a series of free mixtapes of increasingly dark, brooding pop. He was the hermit gone wild, a lonely boy from Toronto with Michael Jackson's fragile tenor and a hard drive full of Portishead B-sides who suddenly had his pick of worldly women, but quickly became disillusioned by the paradox of choice. Tesfaye's new album, Kiss Land, is a glass-clad monolith to his jaded misogynist fantasies and melodramatic jet-setting, fascinating for both its futurist sonic template and its emotionally stunted hypersexuality.

From the album's first line ("It's ideal, you need someone to tell you how to feel") to its last ("She forgot the good things about me / She let it slip away"), an overwhelming sense of hopelessness and dissociation sets in. Tesfaye's delicate voice, often breaking into a desperate whimper, constantly echoes off towering synthetic minor chords and spare, hydraulic drum patterns. He is truly lost in the machine. More than any of his contemporaries, Tesfaye personifies the anxiety, narcissism and ironic disconnect of the digital generation. His version of modern love is no fun; it's one built around blame, numbing overindulgence and cold sexual transaction.

It's telling when the marquee Drake guest spot halfway through the album feels jarring and disruptive for its champagne-toasting banality. There is very little nostalgia or perspective here, just a claustrophobic sense of someone bewildered by access. Every song explores this theme, the lyrics reading like a series of unrequited sexts, and Tesfaye delivers them with such tension — and surrounds them with such heartless machinery — that the listener can't help but feel a little trapped in his matrix. It is an uneasy feeling, but also genuinely provocative. Everyone is listening; no one is paying attention.

With Kiss Land, Tesfaye has created a compelling case for the artistic relevance of current pop music. Compared to the ruling kings and queens of pop — Drake, Ocean, Gaga, Rihanna, Timberlake, Perry, Cyrus, et al — Tesfaye is a downright misanthrope. He is not asking the 14-year-olds who follow him on Twitter to twerk or roar or be like him. He's not even acknowledging them. Kiss Land is his manifesto against seeking fame and living your dreams. Whether the somewhat contemptible character speaking in these songs is Tesfaye or a figment of his imagination, it's at least poignant, and it's not easy listening.

I seriously considered creating a twitter just to tweet him to let him know how much his music is appreciated :lol:

Man heck no. BTTW has grown on me so much, it's ridiculous. The words, man... The words.

I know I should leave you
And learn to mistreat you
Cuz you belong to the world
But ohhh girl I want to embrace you
Domesticate you
But you belong to the world

Like, damn, I'm falling for this broad that I know I shouldn't be falling for because even if she ever really came around and ****** with me, she would never truly be mines. :smh:

Oh no, I agree that the content is beautiful, but if you've been listening to it since it released, you might not feel like hearing it every time you spin the album anymore. I've yet to skip it, but I could see it happening at some point.

Bruh...................................

TEARS IN THE GODDAMN RAIN

:smh: :smh: :smh:

Abel is NOT playing fair.

When and if Slim chops this thing up.............................................

:wow: :wow: :wow:

album is nice. strong MJ vibe, its different but its crack for what it is :nthat:

professional, the town, adaptation :x the list goes on

need another tape with that classic weeknd feel tho

yall remember this?

they need to do a part 2

:lol: I remember that video. Dudes were going Hammerstein in there.

But in terms of song meaning and bars, dude is opposed by a very small few in the music industry.

this album is like a multi-layered cake. red velvet buttercream ****, b. the first impression is of the sonic soundscape and emotion. you become engulfed in the layers of emotional whirlwind that is the weeknd. but once that sets in, you're left with his lyrics to interpret, which brings the songs to new heights.

after really paying attention to the words, i see this album as a very cohesive story of a man in love but also caught in his ways. the sounds further tell this story, creating a sisomething every man can relate to.

in act 1, he goes from criticizing her on the intro, leaves for tour on the town and later realizing his love for her on adaptation. on the town, she also tells him she's dealing with someone else and their "relationship" has to end, and she wishes him luck to find another woman.

in comes act 2. love in the sky through kiss land represent his escapades throughout the world as the weeknd, the star. they represent the world of kiss land, filled with groupies and debauchery, akin to that which took place in the house of balloons, but this time taking place in different places. on belong the world, he even encounters a woman strikingly similar to the girl he left back home. this is a climax of the tale, as he realizes that he's caught in somewhat of a cycle of loving amoral women.

then the final act 3, he's coming back to toronto after a year away. on pretty, he's getting on his flight to come back home to toronto, and he's talking to his ex (from the professional through adaptation). he knows she's been with someone else since adaptation, but he got wind that it didn't work out. he still owns the box and is reclaiming it for the short time he's home. this is more than likely as a result of the lack of fulfillment promiscuity brings. he's nostalgic and wants that old thing back.

but on tears in the rain, he senses that he's emotionally numb to all women. they all feel the same. he's desensitized, after being trapped in a whirlwind of drugs and women, and is accepting his fate. the main girl got fed up with the inconsistency of their relationship (him smashing, leaving for a year, coming back, smashing again, leaving) and, as much as it hurts, he's telling her their demise is for the better. she deserves someone better, and he deserves to be alone.

abel scorscese.

Last edited:
Tears in the Rain :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:. Can't stop listening to this **** it has like 15 plays in my iTunes :lol:.

I'm thinking about putting Enemy on here after Tears In The Rain.

Good idea. I'm going to do that, and replace Wanderlust with the Remix.

:wow: :lol: @ Demarco..

Weeknd got _ in a trance.. on some

ok i just listened to the album for the first time with headphones while following the lyrics on rap genius.....

Professional = 4/5
The Town = 5/5
Adaptation 5/5
Love in the Sky = 4/5
Belong to the World = 4.5/5
Live For = 3.5/5
Wanderlust Remix = 5/5
Kiss Land = 4.5/5
Pretty = 4/5
Tears in the Rain = 5/5
Odd Look = 4/5

Live For is definitely brings the album down a tad. Think he was better off without Drake. I see why though he threw him on though. Looks like that's the next video we're gonna get. Live For.

Back
Top Bottom