The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Based off the three I listed, yeah. That's actually how it kind of happened. I downloaded that OVOXO mixtape with him and aubs when it came out. I heard the tracks on that first, then went on and found the other music.

Found the mixtape:
http://www.datpiff.com/Drake-The-Weeknd-OVOXO-mixtape.262971.html

Fair enough. I actually heard that mixtape and based off the songs on there I was turned off. My dude recommended the darker stuff and the rest is history. It's crazy to see how this thread has took off with the anticipation of KL building.

My top 10:

1. The Party & The After Party
2. The Morning
3. Valerie
4. The Zone
5. Loft Music
6. What You Need
7. 'Till Dawn (Here Comes The Sun)
8. The Knowing
9. Twenty Eight
10. Lonely Star

Last edited:
Lemme play:

10. Odd Look (Remix)

9. Kissland/John Carpenter

8. Till Dawn

7. XO/The Host

6. Gone

5. The Party & The After Party

4. Montreal

3. Echoes of Silence

2. Rolling Stone

Yeah. Trilogy's Just a compilation of the three mixtapes with three bonus tracks. Other songs to check out are:

Enemy
One of those nights
Remember me
Nomad
Gifted

Some of his earlier stuff is pretty good though. You should check out

Material girl
Love through her
Birthday suit
Aren't there some subtle tweaks to a few songs on the Trilogy like the snare on Wicked Games? Is that the only one?

My top 10 off the trilogy no order

Gone

Loft Music

The Party and the After Party

The Morning 

Wicked Games

High For This 

Next

D.D.

The Fall

Zone/Thursday (can't even decide 
tired.gif
)

I dont know why dudes were so surprised about "ranking" the songs, Its pretty much what Niketalk DOES to everything in the music section. But mines wasnt really a ranking, just how i felt about each song and album. I could go on about what i like about each song but that would be excessive lol.

I feel you. But the differing opinions leads to good, respectable mini debates like the one I had with JOSH. It's cool to get a look into a person's mind in regards to how Weeknd's music is impacts them. Or at least I think so anyway.

Exactly, I was just curious to see how others feel about the same songs we all feel strongly about, its cool to see the differences.

Loft Music gets SKIPPED?????? I take it you've never been faded and had that rolling bass put you in a trance. Song is piffery. Heaven or Las Vegas will never get a skip either. Love it. Your opinion though. Respect.

haha yea, i never really liked the beat on the Loft music, just didnt like how the beach house sample was used and felt abel lacked a strong melody in it. Same with Heaven or las vegas, didnt like the production on it and felt it didnt fit well with the tape. But of course, respect my man, always.

I thought the Beach House sample was pretty dope on "Loft Music". He flipped the hell out of "Gila" though so I can definitely see how someone wouldn't like it.

Based on the Noise tracks I wouldn't have continued checking.. Sounds like generic r&b IMO.. Happy I didn't hear til after he changed his sound

hmmm tough list, but my top 10 -

1. montreal
2. high for this
3. house of balloons / glass table girls
4. wicked games
5. the birds part 1
6. the zone
7. next
8. the party & the after party
9. same old song
10. twenty eight

had to run a couple tracks back to put this together :lol:

too much thought would have to go into a top 10. its either house of balloons or the after party....really hard to choose between the two. some of the most relatable music i've ever heard

Last edited:
based on my itunes play count....

1. High for This
2. The Zone
3. Montreal
4. Till Dawn
5. Gone
6. The Fall
7. The Morning
8. Birds Pt. 1
9. Valerie
10. Wicked Games

Last edited:
Based on the Noise tracks I wouldn't have continued checking.. Sounds like generic r&b IMO.. Happy I didn't hear til after he changed his sound

Same. Most probably wouldn't agree, but if belong to the world would have been one of his original joints I wouldn't have been checking for him either.

Not saying anything that anyone hasn't said thus far, but it's his most radio friendly song and reminds me more so of the noise days

Didn't really see that coming. When he signed to the lable, they released wicked games as a single for Christ's sake. But by the sound of it, BTTW was made solely to draw in a new audience.

I'm not even gonna try to rank his songs. These 5 could be his best depending on the day.

Same Old Song
Thursday
Valerie
The Birds PT2
Loft Music

"You say youve been to the sky.....well go beyond that"

:smokin

Belong to the World is a good song in the same vein as Valerie to me. Obviously not on the same level but same type of subject matter. So i don't see it being made as an attempted commercial hit record.

Same. Most probably wouldn't agree, but if belong to the world would have been one of his original joints I wouldn't have been checking for him either.

Agreed, the noise tracks are boring to me. I feel the same about if i heard bttw first i would of wrote him off, that song just lacks heart to me, very generic melody and the instrumental is bland as well, lazy sample flip. Its hard to say he was going for a "radio friendly" track since he released Kissland/John carpenter first which is definitely not a radio friendly song, but this one screams it. Im sure though that this will be the only one like that, atleast i hope so. Nonetheless, very excited for brand new material, i hope he dosnt drop any more singles, its wayyyyyyyyy to hard not to listen to the new stuff. Ive been trying so hard not to kill Kissland/John Carpenter.

i dont think bttw is radio friendly, its just different from all his other stuff.  weeknd is evolving and making music that shows that growth.  i dont see it being generic either because i dont think usher or miguel would drop bttw.

1. Gone

2. The same old song

3. The Morning

4. Rolling Stone

5. The Birds part 2

6. Thursday

7. Next

8. The Birds part 1

9. Outside

10. Echoes of Silence

my guy looks uncomfortable as hell, and drake being extra as usual..
laugh.gif

i see he's going for the basquiat look with his hair.

some new weeknd.

or anything to get you off "you gave the morning a 9? you're nuts! it deserves a 10.  glass tables is a 9!"

boredom's got you dudes arguing over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom