The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Thank you CR! Finally....
Nani 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

I'm not confusing flair and creativity. You're the one confusing the fact that Ronaldo puts some spice on his dribbles with the assumption that he is unable to get past defenders in a more conventional way. People who dislike Ronaldo mention how the stuff he does is excessive and unnecessary, but in a lot of instances it turns out to be the best solution. Like the pass he did with his back. On first glance it seemed flashy, but it was brilliantly simple and creative, and actually the best thing he could've done in that situation where he passed the ball to a teammate with a perfect ball that was easy to tame. The fact that you mention a ridiculous number like him NEEDING a whole TEN stepovers to get past a defender shows how biased you are against Ronaldo, or in favor or Messi... Or a combination of both, which is my guess. And Ronaldo's passes that leave the ground are better than Messi's. Messi is superior in shorter, low passes that don't leave the ground. Simple as that. I don't believe that Ronaldo is the best free kick taker in the world, but it is one of the areas where the difference between him and Messi is vast, and one of the areas that adds to him being a more complete player than Messi. Also, he might've scored 5 last year but I know he scored from a free kick in two of the last four games I've watched him in over the last hanful of weeks - against Denmark and Lyon.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Xabi Alonso is actually the backbone of this Real Madrid squad. He is the unsung hero who is a very important player and is definitely overlooked by conventional viewers of Real Madrid games, and Barcelona has plenty of those players as well.

And Ronaldo isn't even on Baggio's level either all of a sudden? Come on man.
I'll admit you're probably right about the combination of both, and despite my exaggeration the points are still legitimate. Ronaldo's lob passes are not better than Messi's, and simply giving your opinion is not enough to convince anyone of that. The fact that Barca don't use lob passes often doesn't mean he is any less capable in that area. His lob/chip passes are exquisite, especially when putting someone through on goal.

And when comparing one of the most important aspects of passing regarding attacking players, the final ball, Messi is superior. 

The difference between their FK ability is vast? How so? Both have excellent technique, but simply making more by taking more attempts doesn't make him vastly better in that area. Barca usually take FKs short, and when a shot is viable Messi will often leave the ones that favor right footers to Xavi and Villa. Which leads into the most important aspect of football: teamwork. Ronaldo is simply not a better teammate, and his poor decision making and selfishness (though he's gotten better) plays a huge part of that, which is why I brought up players like Baggio and Zizou, whose decision making abilities lifted their respective teams. As someone who understands this having been part of a (relatively) great team myself at UMD, I can't call someone who is lacking in such an integral area more complete than Messi. 

Xabi is clearly the backbone of Real Madrid; he's the one who dictates play and sets the tempo. You're quite the stan or simply don't understand what you're watching if you believe Ronaldo's individual brilliance is what makes them go; absolutely laughable. I like how you continually point out the strength of Barca regardless of Messi's presence, yet last season Real didn't miss CR one bit when he was out, and their attack actually looked less explosive, but more fluid without him. On the other hand, when Alonso was out Real took three of their four losses in the league to mid-table minnows, effectively killing their chances at the title. And yes, I honestly don't believe Ronaldo is a better or more influential player than Baggio was, but that's another discussion. 

That goal by Nani 
eek.gif

Adding to favorite goals, Maxi's back in the 06 WC was insane. I'm not even an Argentina fan, but this goal had me out of my seat in amazement.

[h2]
[/h2]
By Brooks Peck

balotelli_came_out_of_halftime_in_italys_old_shirt_told_to_change.jpg
Italy unveiled a new home kit on Monday, which was more than enough for next-level artist Mario Balotelli to turn into a bit of comedy. The team wore their new strip for the first time in Tuesday's friendly against Uruguay and for unknown reasons that can only be explained as "Mario Balotelli," the striker appeared for the second half wearing Italy's old shirt after he had already been wearing the new one in the first half.

Mario played five minutes in the old shirt before he was booked for a mid-air collision with Diego Perez and told to go change by the ref. Balotelli did so and even apologized to Perez for the collision. Here's video of the incident...

I like to think Mario's shirt mix-up was something he did purposefully as a comment on the ridiculous frequency with which new kits are unveiled and sold to loyal fans. Meanwhile, he probably just put the old shirt on when he couldn't find the custom-made bottle rocket coat he really wanted to wear.

After Italy lost the match 1-0, Mario expressed his non-fashion related frustration. From Football Italia:
"I am angry with myself, as I was unlucky and the ball didn't want to go in the net," he told RAI Sport after the 1-0 home loss.

"We're going to Poland and Ukraine to win, otherwise it's the end of the world!"
[/url][/h2]

Consider that a warning.

Photo: Getty

This guy
laugh.gif

I'd say Xabi Alonso is more significant although I firmly believe Nuri Sahin can change that. Ronaldo is criminally underrated it seems. No worries though, he'll become an all-time Real Madrid great.

i %%!*%@* love mario balotelli, all the more now that his play is fully backing up his antics. would love to see him come home to ac milan and partner with pato.

pimp.gif
at the clips posted. That Henry flick and Maxi goal are two of my favorite ever. And that Drogba goal against Liverpool is honestly one I just don't understand. How does one get that much power behind a shot from that sort of angle, while turning the body 180 degrees? Just absurd. 
This is another one of my favorites. The buildup, the header, the fact that the best keeper in the world at the time is left flat footed.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom