The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

I'm sure the French were brushing off the idea of discrimination in their NT too...

I mean I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some players were getting looked over for reasons that have nothing to do with football.

Having said that, let's not go crazy. The main problem the USNT has, and always had, is the lack of footballing infrastructure in the United States, but it is slowly improving.

I'm sure the French were brushing off the idea of discrimination in their NT too...

I mean I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some players were getting looked over for reasons that have nothing to do with football.

Having said that, let's not go crazy. The main problem the USNT has, and always had, is the lack of footballing infrastructure in the United States, but it is slowly improving.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Tevez: I'll never be back[/h1]
June 5, 2011

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Carlos Tevez claims he has been told he is free to leave Manchester City - and says he will never return to the area once he has left.

Tevez, whose current deal expires in 2014, did not go as far as to say he would definitely leave the club this summer, but he certainly made it clear that he holds no affinity with Manchester despite spending four years of his career with United and City.

He also revealed he still does not trust some members of the Man City board - and will never do so again.

The striker has been in England for five years but has still to learn the language, something which he freely admitted is a problem in an interview aired on a television programme on Telefe in Argentina.

''There is nothing to do in Manchester. The problem is I'm still speaking very poor English,'' he said. 'When I finish my contract I will not return to Manchester ever - not even on holiday.''

In an interview with the News of the World, Tevez said: ''[City owner] Sheikh Mansour has made a lot of sacrifices to keep me and if I stay at Manchester City, it will be for him.

''He signed me, he wants to keep me, but at the same time he has told me to do whatever I need to do to be happy. He has told me 'If you want to leave then you can go'. There is no deadline, it is down to me.

''They offered me a new contract in December but I didn't want to extend it. At the end of the season they offered me another new deal but at the moment I don't know whether I will accept it.

"There are options but if I don't play for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter or Milan it won't be a massive void in my life.

''I have no regrets whatsoever about my transfer request. It was a situation that some people on the board created. They promised something for six months and didn't deliver. So, after six months of promises, they don't do something - why should I believe them now? I don't.

''I will never speak to these people again. I still feel the same way. I deal direct with Sheikh Mansour - no-one else. It makes no difference to my future, as they don't mean anything to me.''

Tevez also spoke of the difficulty he has living away from his wife and two daughters. He added: ''No amount of money, no cars and the lifestyle can make up for the moment when I leave my two daughters at the airport.

''Do you think money solves everything? It solves nothing. People think I should be happy because I have everything but I can't buy time with my daughters and my family.''

Tevez again rubbished suggestions that he is unable to work with City boss Roberto Mancini.

''Mancini and I have arguments and moments, but it's not such a great matter to me,'' he said. "He's a great manager. Things happen in the heat of the moment, silly things that can happen when when we are trying to do what's best for the team.

''We are not friends but we have a professional relationship. As captain and manager respectively, we talk. I have never been late, I am disciplined and I have never been fined for a breach of club discipline.''

Asked whether Tevez would remain with City, his agent Kia Joorabchian told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme: ''His family come first. He will be in Argentina. He will sit down and talk to his family. Until he resolves that issue he's not making a final determination on his future.

''What I can tell you is he is very happy at Manchester City. He has been happy at Manchester City. He's resolved his problems he had earlier in the year with certain members of the board. If he can resolve his family issues then why not?''

mad.gif

I know this has been going on for awhile but it's so damn frustrating to hear one of your favorite players in the world, who's on your favorite team in the world, !%++* and moan all the damn time. Not to mention how much it would hurt to lose a guy like Tevez.

I havent really been following a whole lot since the season ended, but has anyone heard of any City rumors?

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Tevez: I'll never be back[/h1]
June 5, 2011

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Carlos Tevez claims he has been told he is free to leave Manchester City - and says he will never return to the area once he has left.

Tevez, whose current deal expires in 2014, did not go as far as to say he would definitely leave the club this summer, but he certainly made it clear that he holds no affinity with Manchester despite spending four years of his career with United and City.

He also revealed he still does not trust some members of the Man City board - and will never do so again.

The striker has been in England for five years but has still to learn the language, something which he freely admitted is a problem in an interview aired on a television programme on Telefe in Argentina.

''There is nothing to do in Manchester. The problem is I'm still speaking very poor English,'' he said. 'When I finish my contract I will not return to Manchester ever - not even on holiday.''

In an interview with the News of the World, Tevez said: ''[City owner] Sheikh Mansour has made a lot of sacrifices to keep me and if I stay at Manchester City, it will be for him.

''He signed me, he wants to keep me, but at the same time he has told me to do whatever I need to do to be happy. He has told me 'If you want to leave then you can go'. There is no deadline, it is down to me.

''They offered me a new contract in December but I didn't want to extend it. At the end of the season they offered me another new deal but at the moment I don't know whether I will accept it.

"There are options but if I don't play for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter or Milan it won't be a massive void in my life.

''I have no regrets whatsoever about my transfer request. It was a situation that some people on the board created. They promised something for six months and didn't deliver. So, after six months of promises, they don't do something - why should I believe them now? I don't.

''I will never speak to these people again. I still feel the same way. I deal direct with Sheikh Mansour - no-one else. It makes no difference to my future, as they don't mean anything to me.''

Tevez also spoke of the difficulty he has living away from his wife and two daughters. He added: ''No amount of money, no cars and the lifestyle can make up for the moment when I leave my two daughters at the airport.

''Do you think money solves everything? It solves nothing. People think I should be happy because I have everything but I can't buy time with my daughters and my family.''

Tevez again rubbished suggestions that he is unable to work with City boss Roberto Mancini.

''Mancini and I have arguments and moments, but it's not such a great matter to me,'' he said. "He's a great manager. Things happen in the heat of the moment, silly things that can happen when when we are trying to do what's best for the team.

''We are not friends but we have a professional relationship. As captain and manager respectively, we talk. I have never been late, I am disciplined and I have never been fined for a breach of club discipline.''

Asked whether Tevez would remain with City, his agent Kia Joorabchian told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme: ''His family come first. He will be in Argentina. He will sit down and talk to his family. Until he resolves that issue he's not making a final determination on his future.

''What I can tell you is he is very happy at Manchester City. He has been happy at Manchester City. He's resolved his problems he had earlier in the year with certain members of the board. If he can resolve his family issues then why not?''

mad.gif

I know this has been going on for awhile but it's so damn frustrating to hear one of your favorite players in the world, who's on your favorite team in the world, !%++* and moan all the damn time. Not to mention how much it would hurt to lose a guy like Tevez.

I havent really been following a whole lot since the season ended, but has anyone heard of any City rumors?

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

That doesn't make sense. There were Frenchmen supporting Italy in that World Cup final because Italy had a racially "pure" team made up of actual Italians, not colonials, like the French team.

That doesn't make sense. There were Frenchmen supporting Italy in that World Cup final because Italy had a racially "pure" team made up of actual Italians, not colonials, like the French team.

Originally Posted by Budweiser

You will always find some idiots among certain groups but usually on and of the football pitch it's not a big issue.If you are good, you will be celebrated no matter your colour or origin.
In the 90 we had a bigger problem with racists in East Germany and one player (Jonathan Akpoborie in Rostock) alone changed it atleast a little bit.

Originally Posted by Budweiser

You will always find some idiots among certain groups but usually on and of the football pitch it's not a big issue.If you are good, you will be celebrated no matter your colour or origin.
In the 90 we had a bigger problem with racists in East Germany and one player (Jonathan Akpoborie in Rostock) alone changed it atleast a little bit.

Originally Posted by AJIIIpLATINum

I love the US ( born n raised) and even have a congressional issued flag in my room but I don't like our US Soccer team. I know u may think I'm racist but I dont like the fact we only have one brown brother consistently on the team...Bocanegra. When Latinos have the number 1 (Messi) and number 3ish ( Kaka) players in the world I can ask where are the Latinos on our US team? Juan Agudelo was born in Colombia not in the USA. Where are the US born Latinos? The Dallas Mavs, NY Jets, Cowboys, and Chicago white sox have more Latinos in key positions than the US team LOL. If there were no blacks or whites on the US team u guys would understand especially since soccer , MMA, boxing, and baseball are stereotyped as Latino sports. Landon Donovan once said he played against better players ( Latinos) than himself in his San Diego youth league so where are they? Dempsy said he learned his dribbling skills from fellow youth Latino players in Texas so where are they? The US Nat team is made up of wealthy suburbanites. The US discriminates against us. Until discrimination ends I will continue to root for my parents' Guatemala and Argentina.

I'm sorry but a lot of this is down right inaccurate. The majority of the USMNT is from suburbia because in this country, soccer was largely a suburban game up until recently. You really have no business labeling them all as wealthy either, given you probably don't know anything about their family situations growing up.  Not to mention, Donovan didn't grow up playing soccer in San Diego.

But to answer your question "where are they...?" I imagine they're somewhere sitting on a coach drinking a brew like the rest of us because they simply weren't good enough. 

However I can understand your stance, and I agree with the end effect, Latinos are misrepresented at the highest levels of professional soccer in this country. What I don't agree with is your cause. I don't think Latino's are discriminated against, indirectly or otherwise, by the USSF. 

I'm projecting but it sounds like you think that if the US took advantage of its Latino population we'd be up there with the Spains and Brazils. That we'd have developed our own Di Maria's by now. That's not the case.

Regardless, the soccer landscape in this country is changing rapidly. This completely contradicts your theory on Latino discrimination but USSF has placed EXTREME emphasis on connecting with the Latino population the last five years. It's been documented and in only a few short years we're already seeing results.

I can only speak on what I see here in California but the elite youth teams from San Diego up to Sacramento are predominantly Latino.  Chivas USA's youth academy is mostly Latino. The Galaxy's youth academy is more or less half Latino. FC Dallas's youth academy is the best in the country bar none and it's almost exclusively Latino.

Like I said to Jada the other day I can understand the viewpoint, though in your case  I think you're misinformed. I'm a black man and I would love to see more involvement from African Americans but love is love, I'd be damned if I let any lack of representation keep me from supporting my National team.  

I love the US ( born n raised) and even have a congressional issued flag in my room but I don't like our US Soccer team. I know u may think I'm racist but I dont like the fact we only have one brown brother consistently on the team...Bocanegra. When Latinos have the number 1 (Messi) and number 3ish ( Kaka) players in the world I can ask where are the Latinos on our US team? Juan Agudelo was born in Colombia not in the USA. Where are the US born Latinos? The Dallas Mavs, NY Jets, Cowboys, and Chicago white sox have more Latinos in key positions than the US team LOL. If there were no blacks or whites on the US team u guys would understand especially since soccer , MMA, boxing, and baseball are stereotyped as Latino sports. Landon Donovan once said he played against better players ( Latinos) than himself in his San Diego youth league so where are they? Dempsy said he learned his dribbling skills from fellow youth Latino players in Texas so where are they? The US Nat team is made up of wealthy suburbanites. The US discriminates against us. Until discrimination ends I will continue to root for my parents' Guatemala and Argentina.

I'm sorry but a lot of this is down right inaccurate. The majority of the USMNT is from suburbia because in this country, soccer was largely a suburban game up until recently. You really have no business labeling them all as wealthy either, given you probably don't know anything about their family situations growing up.  Not to mention, Donovan didn't grow up playing soccer in San Diego.

But to answer your question "where are they...?" I imagine they're somewhere sitting on a coach drinking a brew like the rest of us because they simply weren't good enough. 

However I can understand your stance, and I agree with the end effect, Latinos are misrepresented at the highest levels of professional soccer in this country. What I don't agree with is your cause. I don't think Latino's are discriminated against, indirectly or otherwise, by the USSF. 

I'm projecting but it sounds like you think that if the US took advantage of its Latino population we'd be up there with the Spains and Brazils. That we'd have developed our own Di Maria's by now. That's not the case.

Regardless, the soccer landscape in this country is changing rapidly. This completely contradicts your theory on Latino discrimination but USSF has placed EXTREME emphasis on connecting with the Latino population the last five years. It's been documented and in only a few short years we're already seeing results.

I can only speak on what I see here in California but the elite youth teams from San Diego up to Sacramento are predominantly Latino.  Chivas USA's youth academy is mostly Latino. The Galaxy's youth academy is more or less half Latino. FC Dallas's youth academy is the best in the country bar none and it's almost exclusively Latino.

Like I said to Jada the other day I can understand the viewpoint, though in your case  I think you're misinformed. I'm a black man and I would love to see more involvement from African Americans but love is love, I'd be damned if I let any lack of representation keep me from supporting my National team.  

LOL @ Latinos not being good enough

No, it's because they play a more technical style of football which doesn't fit with the current style of the USMNT. The style now is predicated on athleticism and work-rate. That's all there is to it. Bob got them working like dogs.

Eventually things will change though, or at least we can hope.

Someone like Dempsey has technical skill but he probably learned most of that from playing with Mexicans.

No, it's because they play a more technical style of football which doesn't fit with the current style of the USMNT. The style now is predicated on athleticism and work-rate. That's all there is to it. Bob got them working like dogs.

Someone like Dempsey has technical skill but he probably learned most of that from playing with Mexicans.

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

Some guys make it sound like the every single Latino who didn't make it was good enough but was discriminated against. That's LOL. 
But you're absolutely right about Bob and his system. It's a shame that a guy like Jose Francisco Torres hasn't been afforded more opportunity with the USMNT but like you said it has nothing to do with him being Latino, it's all about style of play.

It's been a slightly more controversial process but USSF is also now trying to embrace a more technical Latin style of play starting at the youth level. We wont see it at the senior level until Bob is gone but at least we're laying down the ground work.

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

Some guys make it sound like the every single Latino who didn't make it was good enough but was discriminated against. That's LOL. 
But you're absolutely right about Bob and his system. It's a shame that a guy like Jose Francisco Torres hasn't been afforded more opportunity with the USMNT but like you said it has nothing to do with him being Latino, it's all about style of play.

It's been a slightly more controversial process but USSF is also now trying to embrace a more technical Latin style of play starting at the youth level. We wont see it at the senior level until Bob is gone but at least we're laying down the ground work.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Your last points make sense.

We mimic a british style of soccer that hasn't produced any results since 1966

Your first points though
grin.gif

Dude i know Donovan is from SoCal but when i saw his interview he was talking about teams in the valley and San Diego. Sorry if i was inaccurate.

Anyway, have you seen our roster??? 90 percent grew up in suburbia. I'm from LA and I don't believe dudes living in Upland (Bocanegra) and Rancho Cucamonga (Donovan) were the best growing up in LA. Even our latinos and blacks on the team are from suburbia. I was not good enough to make it in college but my school won LAUSD in 2002 and we used to kill all the suburbia schools in friendlies. We were only scared of Reseda, Manual Arts, Long Beach, and El Camino Real. they all had latino players.

Anyway i agree it might not be pure discrimination but there is no doubt our national soccer recruitment system sucks.
[h1]
[/h1]

Your first points though
grin.gif

Dude i know Donovan is from SoCal but when i saw his interview he was talking about teams in the valley and San Diego. Sorry if i was inaccurate.

Anyway, have you seen our roster??? 90 percent grew up in suburbia. I'm from LA and I don't believe dudes living in Upland (Bocanegra) and Rancho Cucamonga (Donovan) were the best growing up in LA. Even our latinos and blacks on the team are from suburbia. I was not good enough to make it in college but my school won LAUSD in 2002 and we used to kill all the suburbia schools in friendlies. We were only scared of Reseda, Manual Arts, Long Beach, and El Camino Real. they all had latino players.

Anyway i agree it might not be pure discrimination but there is no doubt our national soccer recruitment system sucks.
[h1]
[/h1]

Your first points though
grin.gif

Which of my points do you not agree with?
And you seem to have a strong prejudice against suburbia. You can't imagine that Donovan could have been one of the best in the LA area growing up simply because of where he lived? Because he was a white-boy from Rancho? Like I honestly can't believe you just typed that. That's extremely classist dude, not to mention hypocritical, unless you only have a problem with ethnic discrimination.

I don't think you understand just how good you have to be to get where Donovan and Bocanegra are. How good you have to be to accomplish what they've accomplished here and abroad. 

I'm not saying there haven't been players living in urban communities that slipped through the cracks, the system here is/was broken as you mentioned and is just now being fixed, but to use that to downplay the talent of somebody like Donovan is twisted man. We're not talking about some kid who got a D1 scholly that maybe an inner city kid deserved a little bit more.

Your first points though
grin.gif

Which of my points do you not agree with?
And you seem to have a strong prejudice against suburbia. You can't imagine that Donovan could have been one of the best in the LA area growing up simply because of where he lived? Because he was a white-boy from Rancho? Like I honestly can't believe you just typed that. That's extremely classist dude, not to mention hypocritical, unless you only have a problem with ethnic discrimination.

I don't think you understand just how good you have to be to get where Donovan and Bocanegra are. How good you have to be to accomplish what they've accomplished here and abroad. 

I'm not saying there haven't been players living in urban communities that slipped through the cracks, the system here is/was broken as you mentioned and is just now being fixed, but to use that to downplay the talent of somebody like Donovan is twisted man. We're not talking about some kid who got a D1 scholly that maybe an inner city kid deserved a little bit more.

don't forget that it is extremely expensive to play at the highest level of youth soccer. this isn't europe or south america where the best young talent is identified and properly trained. you have to sign up and pay alot of money to play in top tier clubs and tournaments, but that is a result of a profit driven club and youth soccer system. now alot of mls teams are seeing the incentives in grooming youth, and their academy teams are about as diverse as they can get.

Back
Top Bottom