The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Will the stars be at the worldcup or is this friendly after?
doubtful. world cup ends in mid july. those big stars will probably rest up and join their teams in the end of august when campaign season begins. bale is most likely the only guarantee. 

Just watched the Valencia vs Basel game. Holy crap. Valencia was down 0-3 on the aggregate & ended up winning 5-3...

Last edited:
Ordered my ticket for the NYRB-Arsenal match, not the greatest seats in the house but **** I don't care that much, as long as I get to go. Upper Sideline 228 row 9

Watched a bit of Liga MX off of my DVR... Flamengo vs Leon was a lively affair 2-3. Copa MX final was interesting too, Tigres vs Alebrijes, cards all around. Ending 3-0. That poor Alebrijes goalie was getting his hand on the ball on some tough reaches. Just couldn't keep it out...

Last edited:
El Shaaraway returned back to training
DishonestUntidyArcticseal.gif

RealGenuineGiraffe.gif

EasyMadGermanwirehairedpointer.gif

PreciousSoggyAlbatross.gif

Ricardo Quaresma scored a golazo today for Porto. hope he makes the WC squad. He has shown flashes of brilliance but has never lived up to the hype

Ricardo Quaresma scored a golazo today for Porto. hope he makes the WC squad. He has shown flashes of brilliance but has never lived up to the hype

Ive always felt the presence of cristiano and how big of a superstar he is killed him mentally. Just my .2 tho

With Bruma injured, Nani not getting playing time, you'd assume and hope that Quaresma would be called up. He may not always make the right decisions and he's a liability on defense but the dude can turn something out of nothing. That's what you need in the WC. Plus we have no striker either.

I doubt he'll make it tho, Bento has never been pleased with him. They never got along. He'll probably call up Rafinha, Danny, or Varela up. I'm hoping tho *fingers crossed*. Quaresma and Ronaldo playing opposite wings has worked out before.

Watching the borussia and Madrid hilight. Marco Reus is the truth. He's going to cause a lot of problems if he plays for Germany at the world cup.

Would like to see Manchester United buy him in the summer transfer window

Last edited:
Watching the borussia and Madrid hilight. Marco Reus is the truth. He's going to cause a lot of problems if he plays for Germany at the world cup.

Would like to see Manchester United buy him in the summer transfer window

Truth is, he's the EXACT kind of #7 that United need. He would flourish there.

I just highly doubt he's going to leave his beloved home.

Watched a bit of Liga MX off of my DVR... Flamengo vs Leon was a lively affair 2-3. Copa MX final was interesting too, Tigres vs Alebrijes, cards all around. Ending 3-0. That poor Alebrijes goalie was getting his hand on the ball on some tough reaches. Just couldn't keep it out...

Leon vs Flamengo was actually from the Copa Libertadores (South America's equivalent of the Champion's League) Flamengo is one of Brazil's biggest clubs, if not the biggest.

South America's most important tournament, they "invite" 2 Mexican teams to the tournament. Mexico has always been the uncomfortable guest in the tournament. They get invited because of all the money involved from sponsors and tv. CONMEBOL loves the money, but make it as difficult as they possibly can to avoid a Mexican team winning it.

Mexico started getting invited in about 2000, and two teams have reached the Final. Cruz Azul in 2001 and CHIVAS in Inter in 2010 (STILL HURTS) several teams have made the semifinals (CHIVAS on separate occasions, Cruz Azul, America, etc.)

CONMEBOL has tweaked the rulebook so many times to favor the South American teams.
Examples:

1. No Mexican team can close the series in the finals no matter of standings, points, etc. They have to play the first game in Mexico and then close in South America.

2. If 2 Mexican teams reach the semifinals, they must play each other so that there won't be an all Mexican Final.

3. If somehow a Mexican team won the Libertadores, they would not be invited to the Intercontinental cup. The second place team (the south American) team would go instead.

Look at this year alone, somehow Leon and Santos ended up on the same side of the bracket. If both teams advance, they would play each other in the quarterfinals :smh: Sucks in terms of quality. Both teams along with Velez of Argentina had shown the best football and were viewed as some of the "favorites" to win it all.

Not even going to start with the officiating. There has been so many disgusting displays by the south American refs against Mexican teams.

Couple games come to mind:

River plate vs Santos in 2004. Santos went to Argentina, beat them 2-1 and forced PKs. At one point the ref awarded the same Argentine player 3 PKs because he said the GK was moving. Replays clearly showed he wasn't.

CHIVAS vs Boca jrs. After beating boca 4-0 in Guadalajara, CHIVAS traveled to Buenos Aires and maintained the game 0-0 until the game was called off in like the 80th minute because fans kept running onto the field and a fight almost broke out between both teams. In the melee, the Boca coach went onto the field and spat ON Adolfo Bautista's face. Game was suspended and in the following days, Coach Benitez was suspended 2 games and fined like 10K, while Bofo was suspended for the rest of the tournament :smh:

/rant

With Bruma injured, Nani not getting playing time, you'd assume and hope that Quaresma would be called up. He may not always make the right decisions and he's a liability on defense but the dude can turn something out of nothing. That's what you need in the WC. Plus we have no striker either.

I doubt he'll make it tho, Bento has never been pleased with him. They never got along. He'll probably call up Rafinha, Danny, or Varela up. I'm hoping tho *fingers crossed*. Quaresma and Ronaldo playing opposite wings has worked out before.

THIS

Quaresma always been one of my favourite players so I may be a bit bias but he should be at the WC, He is a match winner and something that Portugal could really use as an advantage, Plus he is great friends with Ronaldo so the communication will be strong between the 2

Back
Top Bottom