The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Gus is pretty funny. I use to be annoyed, but after watching a few youtube vids I'm use to it.

Last edited:
I hope Gus has learned to pronounce the names correctly. The most elementary/stupid mistake to make as a broadcaster.

If anyone missed out on the great deals at SoccerPro.com on footy shirts, it looks like SoccerCorner.com is having a similar sale on club shirts. I've ordered from the site for my son & found them to be as reliable as you'd want in a eRetailer.

Good looks.

Very fluent in Spanish, we were just reading between the lines. Rafool translated it correctly to begin with.

As for the Arsenal game at RBA in July I'm def planning on going up as the Gunners haven't been to the US in 25 years. Hopefully some NT Gooners come thru. Lmk, maybe we can tailgate/have a "summit" lol. JK but kinda SRS.

I'll be there, hopefully I won't be at work when tickets go live....I feel like they will sell out

Arsenal sign Portuguese winger Centeno
POSTED ON MARCH 27, 2014 UPDATED ON MARCH 27, 2014

1 Vote

Arsenal have signed Portuguese winger Jonatas Centeno.

The 16 year old, who has been capped by his country at U15 and U16 levels, previously spent time with Fulham and will add some much needed depth to Arsenal’s development squads.

Arsenal have often had to deploy central-midfielders such as Jon Toral and Thomas Eisfeld in wide positions in recent seasons, as, prior to Centeno’s arrival, there was not a natural winger amongst the club’s contingent of young professionals. Centeno will most probably begin his Arsenal career in the U18 side. He will initially sign scholarship forms for next season, but will automatically be offered a professional deal when he turns 17 next year.

Arsenal U21s, meanwhile, take on Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane tomorrow, with striker Chuba Akpom a serious doubt due to fitness concerns. Zak Ansah should feature again having made a goalscoring return to action against West Ham United on Monday.

Didn't see this posted, sorry if it was

UEFA approves 'Nations League'
March 26, 2014
RECOMMEND244TWEET6EMAILPRINT
By ESPN staff
UEFA launches Nations League
European football has taken the brave step to drop international friendlies in favour of a bi-annual promotion-relegation tournament.
Tags: Uefa
NEXT VIDEO video

UEFA launches Nations League
Klopp unconvinced by UEFA Nations Cup
Michel Platini UEFA smile
PA Photos
Michel Platini is the president of UEFA.
UEFA members have voted to approve the new “Nations League” tournament, which will replace most international friendlies from September 2018.

• Hesse: What's wrong with international friendlies?
• 'Nations League' set to offer WC places

The 54 member countries of European football’s governing body unanimously adopted a four-point resolution to create the competition, which is to feed into qualifying playoffs for the 2020 European Championship, and could later be incorporated into qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.

UEFA president Michel Platini told the congress in Kazakhstan that it is “a very important decision for the future of football at the level of national teams.”

UEFA said the main motivation for the change was “sporting integrity” and a desire to improve the quality of international football, amid a general feeling that the current standard of international friendlies is insufficient.

The precise format of the new competition is yet to be finalised, but UEFA outlined its intentions on its official website: “The concept is for the 54 national teams to be divided into four large divisions according to coefficient rankings.

“Prior to UEFA Euro 2020, each division will be sub-divided into four pools of three or four teams, so each team plays four to six matches between September and November 2018. The final-four competition, involving the four pool group-winners of group A, will start in 2019, whereas playoffs for the UEFA Euro will then take place in March 2020.

“National teams will thus either be competing to become UEFA Nations League champions, or be fighting for promotion and to avoid relegation in their groups, as well as to qualify for Euro playoffs.”

The governing body stressed that qualification for the European Championship “remains largely the same” but said qualifiers would begin in March, rather than September, following major tournaments and that “four teams qualify for each final tournament via the UEFA Nations League.”

Wolfgang Niersbach, chairman of the National Teams Competition Committee, added: "We accept and respect that all UEFA member associations have agreed to create a new competition. This is a big step for national teams in Europe and we hope that fans will support the new format."

Alex Horne, the Football Association’s general secretary, told Sky Sports News on Thursday morning that it was a “positive” development and he was “excited for both England and the FA.” He added that clubs should welcome the news as “a better quality of games makes for a better quality of players.”

However, FIFPro -- the world players' union -- has released a statement saying that while it “respects the aim to improve the quality of international football,” it is worried about “the added strain it will place on the world's elite players.”

FIFPro director of player services Tijs Tummers said in the statement: "It should be clear that there is a difference in a friendly match and a competitive match. As we understand, the ‘Nations League’ will be another prestigious competition. As a consequence, that implies an increase in the workload for the group of top players."

Tummers feels that there is no real issue with the current format of international friendles, while the introduction of the ‘Nations League’ does little to solve the problems with the qualifying stages for a major tournament.

He said: "Mostly, the countries organise a friendly against an opponent of equal quality. What should be thought over is the amount of qualifying matches between teams that have an enormous gap in talent level. Very often you see a match between nations that are more than 100 places separated from each other on the FIFA rankings. Even with the new ‘Nations League,’ those matches will remain on the international match calendar."

Information from the Press Association and Associated Press was used in this report.

Platini makes plea to FIFA to ban third party owners
BY MIKE COLLETT
ASTANA Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:32am EDT
0 COMMENTS
inShare
Share this

Email
Print
UEFA President Michel Platini attends a news conference after the first UEFA Executive Committee reunion of the year, at the UEFA headquarters in Nyon January 25, 2013. REUTERS/Valentin Flauraud
UEFA President Michel Platini attends a news conference after the first UEFA Executive Committee reunion of the year, at the UEFA headquarters in Nyon January 25, 2013.
CREDIT: REUTERS/VALENTIN FLAURAUD
RELATED TOPICS
Sports »
(Reuters) - The practice of players being owned by secretive agents, businessmen or investment companies out to make a quick buck is not only damaging soccer but is an affront to human dignity and must be halted, UEFA president Michel Platini said on Thursday.

He called on FIFA to outlaw the practice worldwide and praised the English FA for being the first to ban what are called "third party ownership" transfers.

Platini highlighted what he said was one of the greatest threats to the game's integrity when he opened the 38th UEFA Congress in the futuristic capital of the Central Asian country of Kazakhstan.

With FIFA president Sepp Blatter sitting in the front row of delegates at the Palace of Independence, Platini said: "If FIFA fails to act, we will address this issue in our own competitions in Europe.

"The UEFA Executive Committee has already adopted a position on this issue in principle, and we will see this through.

"I do not want to be complicit in these practices, and at the moment I have the nasty feeling that I am."

Platini, one of the world's greatest all-time players during his glittering career in the 1970s and 1980s when he won titles with France and Juventus, said he had gone on strike when he was a player, but the issues facing players today were far worse than what he had to endure.

WIDESPREAD PROBLEM

He told delegates from all 54 member associations: "I am thinking, here, of a problem which particularly worries me, that is the third party ownership of players, or TPO as it is sometimes known.

"I have been constantly warning for years that this practice, which is becoming increasingly widespread, is a danger to our sport.

"It threatens the integrity of our competitions, damages football's image, poses a long-term threat to clubs' finances and even raises questions about human dignity.

"When I was a player, I went on strike because players belonged to their clubs and therefore failed to enjoy real freedom.

"Today, players are certainly not the property of their clubs, but something worse is happening instead.

"Increasingly, players are owned by opaque companies based in tax havens and controlled by some unknown agent or investment fund.

"Quite simply, some players are no longer in control of their own sporting careers and are transferred each year to generate revenue for anonymous individuals who just want to get their hands on some of the money in football.

"The English FA were the first to recognize the dangers of this practice and the moral and ethical problems that it poses. As a result they banned third party ownership.

"They acted swiftly and decisively, and I congratulate them on that. However, this is a global problem, and the issue should be regulated at global level."

Turning to the FIFA president, Platini said: "Mr Blatter, you ask things of us, such as solidarity with other continents, and we do as you ask.

"This time, we have something to ask of you. I want to take advantage of your presence here today to make a solemn request. Please have the political courage to deal with this problem once and for all.

"There comes a time when you have to stop hiding behind committees, sub-committees, studies by expert groups and academic reports.

"The amount of money that vanishes into thin air in a single transfer exceeds the entire annual budget for your global solidarity program, GOAL. Do you realize what that means? Do you consider that normal? I, for one, do not."

Platini also said that detailed plans for the new Nations League, a competitive tournament starting in 2018 to replace increasingly unpopular friendly matches, would be announced at the Congress later.

On the occasion of UEFA's 60th anniversary, Platini also announced the launch of a new Children's Foundation, a grass-roots initiative funded by UEFA to boost opportunities for youngsters.

"Who knows?" said Platini. "The next Cristiano Ronaldo could well be growing up in Moldova and we need to do everything we can to encourage the development of all children in the sport."

(Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by Ian Ransom)

What is your all time starting 11( since you started watching)

AJIIIpLATINum's All Life Team

GK: Chilavert

Defense: Sammer;Maldini;RCarlos;

DMid: E.Davids

Mid:A.Ortega;JJOkocha; Hagi

AttacMid: Messi

Fwd:Ronaldo9; Ronaldo7

:pimp:

here's mine:

GK - Schmeichel

RB - Javier Zanetti
CB - Lilian Thuram
CB - Paolo Maldini
LB - Roberto Carlos

RM - Figo
CM - Roy Keane
CM - Paul Scholes
LM - Ryan Giggs

CF - Diego Maradona
ST - Ronaldo

Subs:
Gigi Buffon
Cafu
Denis Irwin
Patrick Viera
Edgar Davids
Cristiano Ronaldo
Eric Cantona
Ruud van Nistelrooy

^ the squad was assembled from my all-time favourite list of players,so of course you'd expect to see many United players in there...

"and you know it"

it referring to the direct object.

it = lo

and you know translates to

y sabes.

c'mon b

Dude that is not the correct translation...you are translating it literally buddy.

And you know it
=
Y lo sabes

And (pause) you know
=
Y lo sabes

Second is correct in this case. No need for (it) is all im saying dude. She way not saying "ronaldo i want your shirt and you know it"
She was saying "ronaldo i want your shirt and...you know (wink,wink).

Last edited:

here's mine:

GK - Schmeichel

RB - Javier Zanetti
CB - Lilian Thuram
CB - Paolo Maldini
LB - Roberto Carlos

RM - Figo
CM - Roy Keane
CM - Paul Scholes
LM - Ryan Giggs

CF - Diego Maradona
ST - Ronaldo

Subs:
Gigi Buffon
Cafu
Denis Irwin
Patrick Viera
Edgar Davids
Cristiano Ronaldo
Eric Cantona
Ruud van Nistelrooy

^ the squad was assembled from my all-time favourite list of players,so of course you'd expect to see many United players in there...

Not bad. That is very Man U heavy lol
You forgot Sole Campbell.

I forgot how good Thuram was. I would have put maradona there but i dont really remember him play. I remember the 94 world cup but he didnt play much. If i could have gone back i would have definitely done maradona and platini.

This might sound like a stupid question...but is it just me, or were there more stars in the sport around 2006.

When I first got into the sport through FIFA 06 and the 06 WC it felt like there were so many cool characters in the sport :lol:

Maybe it had to do with the sport being new to me, but I really don't think so.

You look down the list of players in top clubs and top international teams from that era, and there are so many more stand out names from top to bottom on most starting XIs.

Last edited:
This might sound like a stupid question...but is it just me, or were there more stars in the sport around 2006.

When I first got into the sport through FIFA 06 and the 06 WC it felt like there were so many cool characters in the sport :lol:

Maybe it had to do with the sport being new to me, but I really don't think so.

You look down the list of players in top clubs and top international teams from that era, and there are so many more stand out names from top to bottom on most starting XIs.

There were more stars and more good teams. Juve, Milan, Liverpool, Inter, United , Real etc were full of superstars. Look at some of the teams now. Chelsea doesn't have a worldwide superstar on its roster (Hazard is getting there)

Dude that is not the correct translation...you are translating it literally buddy.

And you know it
=
Y lo sabes

And (pause) you know
=
Y lo sabes

Second is correct in this case. No need for (it) is all im saying dude. She way not saying "ronaldo i want your shirt and you know it"
She was saying "ronaldo i want your shirt and...you know (wink,wink).
no kidding.

After I posted, I thought about it for a min and concluded the same thing.

lel

I missed the subtle message :tongue:

I hope Gus has learned to pronounce the names correctly. The most elementary/stupid mistake to make as a broadcaster.

If anyone missed out on the great deals at SoccerPro.com on footy shirts, it looks like SoccerCorner.com is having a 50% off sale on club shirts. I've ordered from the site for my son & found them to be as reliable as you'd want in a eRetailer.

edited to show 50% off sale & screen shot below...

View media item 884159

Thank you Bro! :pimp: I just placed an order for a few Barca Jerseys.

If anyone missed out on the great deals at SoccerPro.com on footy shirts, it looks like SoccerCorner.com is having a 50% off sale on club shirts. I've ordered from the site for my son & found them to be as reliable as you'd want in a eRetailer.

edited to show 50% off sale & screen shot below...

View media item 884159

You're killing my wallet psk :rofl:

here's mine:

GK - Schmeichel

RB - Javier Zanetti
CB - Lilian Thuram
CB - Paolo Maldini
LB - Roberto Carlos

RM - Figo
CM - Roy Keane
CM - Paul Scholes
LM - Ryan Giggs

CF - Diego Maradona
ST - Ronaldo

Subs:
Gigi Buffon
Cafu
Denis Irwin
Patrick Viera
Edgar Davids
Cristiano Ronaldo
Eric Cantona
Ruud van Nistelrooy

Minus wale

GK: Jorge Campos
RB: Cafu
CB: Beckenbauer
CB: Fernando Hierro
LB: Roberto Carlos (Only one I can think of right now)

RW: Cristiano Ronaldo
CM: Zidane
CM: Ronaldinho
LW: Jesus Arellano

Media Punta: Maradona
FW: Hugo Sanchez

Bench:

Chava Reyes
Messi
Pele
Johan Cruyff
Enzo Francescoli
Valderrama
Maldini
Platini
Chilavert

Ordered another Chicha Man U jersey ( :smh: ) and a Barcelona sweater :x

God... I've ordered like 5 jerseys this week alone :smh:

Not bad. That is very Man U heavy lol
You forgot Sole Campbell.

I forgot how good Thuram was. I would have put maradona in there but i dont really remember him play. I remember the 94 world cup but he didnt play much. If i could have gone back i would have definitely done maradona and platini.

I was a fan of Thuram, but his best football came as a FB, and I wouldn't rate him as a CB quite so highly.
Unfortunately, I also was too young for '86 and '90, and by the time football Italia began showing on UK telly, Diego had left Napoli and his peak had been about 5 years and 5000 lines ago. I did catch a few of his matches at the tail end of his career, and seen plenty of video, but I'll leave him out.

Buffon
Cafu - Desailly - Baresi - Maldini
Xavi - Matthäus - M. Laudrup
Messi - R9 - R10

Some really tough ones in there. Toss up between Desailly, Nesta, Sammer, and Koeman who were all on about the same level, with Blanc, Hierro, Puyol, Stam, Cannavaro, and Lucio just a notch below.
IMO, Laudrup was just as good as Zizou, though much less acclaimed, so I went with the personal favorite.
Matthäus over Rijkaard is another toss up. Keano would be my third choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom