The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Here's the Quaresma goal.

Listen to this dumbass Englishman commentating!!!! "Oh, I don't think he meant that, that was intended for Jackson Martinez"

A) This English dude is not used to seeing magical strikes like this from his countrymen in the EPL, so I guess he figures it must be a mistake :lol:
B) This English dude must not know anything about Quaresma and his right foot.
C) He's an idiot

Last edited:
Yeah...I imagine they'll want $80 to watch Macheda and Zaha.
Not mad at these teams, tho. Enough people that'll pay it.

True but oh well better than nothing
frown.gif
I support man u and I'd like to see Chicha play but honestly Inter have no one that makes me want to go. Maybe if Chicha goes to Inter in the Summer???I

Edit maybe I will go to shout out #MoyesIn

Last edited:
So Reddit and the explanation of a redditor himself said that the Neuer-Ozil pic is a fake. For sure that's Ozil, but that's not Neuer. The Sun, and Neuer's Twitter (not controlled by him obviously) posted that pic as well

Gotta love Reddit... As far as I know they're graduates from Gesamtschule Berger Feld but not at the same time because I think Neuer is a year or 2 older. Other alumni includes Draxler.

View media item 816440

Last edited:
Was an Interesting set of CL matches. City-Barça was rather cagey. Don't particularly like when Martino uses an extra midfielder in place of an attacker as I feel there aren't enough vertical outlets and the attack becomes hampered, but can't argue with the result. Control is usually key in this tournament so it wasn't a surprise, but really should have gone for the kill after the red. Relieved Dani bagged the second - he was fantastic on the right, and Pique was immense at the back.

Disappointing to hear those idiotic comments from Pellegrini - usually a classy guy, but decided to blame everyone but himself. He talked a big game beforehand about how they were going to play their game, but then came out in a defensive 4-4-1-1 and fielded Kolarov in front of Clichy. Anyway, they gave a good account of themselves after going down a man. As for the return leg, 3-1 isn't beyond a side like City. Aguero can trouble between the lines but then they may get overrun in midfield. Should be a good one.

Last edited:
Bayern took some time to get a foothold, but it was straightforward from there. Poor penalty from Ozil, but the overall blame is being overstated - as usual. :lol: at the predictable salivating over Kroos. I'm sure he's itching to leave the best Bayern side in four decades under a manager perfectly suited to him in order to play in Manchester or play counterattack football for Mou. LOL.

Everytime I see Robben I remember he's the only reason Netherlands did not win the World Cup. He had a 1 x 1 vs Casillas that would have sealed the game.

And the only reason they finished with ten men is because Howard Webb is incompetent. De Jong and van Bommel should have both seen red for what were basically assaults. That final was horrendous for the most part.

I don't know man, poor penalty aside Ozil had a horrendous game. He deserves a lot of the flack he's getting. I wanted Wenger to sub him off instead of Cazorla after that red card

Don't get me wrong - criticizing is fine, but I just don't believe in blaming a player for a loss to the extent some are doing - though not necessarily in this forum. Football just doesn't work like that.

Ozil is who he is - a classic ten you have to build the side around like a Baggio or a Kaka or a prime Sneidjer. That means protecting him defensively and quality movement around him. Of course he was poor against Bayern, they hardly had time to get a kick in after the red - let alone time for Ozil to link the play. Like just about every classic ten, he's never going to be a good defender. And truth is, he's not going to be able to show his true quality until he's had time to get on the same wavelength as a top striker - which Arsenal don't really have.

Gooners should give him time, though - even Bergkamp and Henry had trouble in their respective first seasons.

Santi should have taken the PK

Yes, if anyone should have taken it, it should have been him! Low more or less said that he knew it was going to be saved because they practice together. But it certainly wasn't our undoing.

Bayern took some time to get a foothold, but it was straightforward from there. Poor penalty from Ozil, but the overall blame is being overstated - as usual. :lol: at the predictable salivating over Kroos. I'm sure he's itching to leave the best Bayern side in four decades under a manager perfectly suited to him in order to play in Manchester or play counterattack football for Mou. LOL.

I think we had a small discussion on Kroos last season or the season before, around this time of year. I remember I called him underrated. You made a good comparison to him and Muller. But him leaving Bayern is beyond laughable. One time might not even make it into the Europa League next season. I think it was the Bild that said he was the Bayern mole, trying to force a move :lol: I doubt that any of the Bayern players are a mole.

Don't get me wrong - criticizing is fine, but I just don't believe in blaming a player for a loss to the extent some are doing - though not necessarily in this forum. Football just doesn't work like that.

Ozil is who he is - a classic ten you have to build the side around like a Baggio or a Kaka or a prime Sneidjer. That means protecting him defensively and quality movement around him. Of course he was poor against Bayern, they hardly had time to get a kick in after the red - let alone time for Ozil to link the play. Like just about every classic ten, he's never going to be a good defender. And truth is, he's not going to be able to show his true quality until he's had time to get on the same wavelength as a top striker - which Arsenal don't really have.

Gooners should give him time, though - even Bergkamp and Henry had trouble in their respective first seasons.

Reminds me of how Henry compared him to Pires, in terms of defending. Pires didn't offer much defensively, but he was able to offer so much going forward because of that trade off, what he lacked in defense was over looked to some degree. People forget about that, the time aspect. I can't imagine the amount of abuse those two would have gotten if social media was around back then as it is today. It took Henry a while to get his first goal. Even before he played, many people felt negative about the transfer. Many consider his time in Italy as a failure, Bergkamp as well.....and now they both have their own statues :lol:
Whether or not we get a top striker or not this summer...that's a whole other topic.
Some rest would do him good
Bg6hftMCUAAoWAM.jpg

Last edited:
that contract has soo many implications. Wouldn't be suprised if rvp is gone this summer and Rooney is pushed up top with mata behind. I'm really torn on this as well. I do enjoy Rooney on the pitch and wouldn't wanna sell him to a direct rival but 300k a week for a player who is 28 and IMO has never really fully fulfilled his potential.. Don't get me wrong he is a great player but he was once touted as being a potential top 5 players in the world and has never reached that status. Yet he will now be on par wage wise with the best in the world. Just seems like entirely too much money. And I can see this blowing up in our faces.

Think about it 300k.. Split in half is the wages for two top quality players. We now have arguably 2-3 players who could fill his spot easily. Why not try and offload abroad and split those wages amongst younger players who fill voids we currently have

Last edited:
Swear some of y'all just yap without knowing any of the facts.

Pep has already said that Kroos can leave. And the reason he's leaving is because he wants a huge contract that Bayern isn't willing to pay him, but other clubs will. Bayern are already paying half their roster an insane wage and they'd have to pay out the *** to keep Kroos.

So to just yap like there is no possibility of him leaving is just ignorant.

I think we had a small discussion on Kroos last season or the season before, around this time of year. I remember I called him underrated. You made a good comparison to him and Muller. But him leaving Bayern is beyond laughable. One time might not even make it into the Europa League next season. I think it was the Bild that said he was the Bayern mole, trying to force a move :lol: I doubt that any of the Bayern players are a mole.
Reminds me of how Henry compared him to Pires, in terms of defending. Pires didn't offer much defensively, but he was able to offer so much going forward because of that trade off, what he lacked in defense was over looked to some degree. People forget about that, the time aspect. I can't imagine the amount of abuse those two would have gotten if social media was around back then as it is today. It took Henry a while to get his first goal. Even before he played, many people felt negative about the transfer. Many consider his time in Italy as a failure, Bergkamp as well.....and now they both have their own statues :lol:
Whether or not we get a top striker or not this summer...that's a whole other topic.
Some rest would do him good

Yeah, I vaguely recall that discussion. I know i've felt Kroos has been one of the best mids since 2012. I don't recall the context in which I may have compared him with Muller, but they're certainly different. Muller's game is based on his movement, Kroos on his passing.

I definitely feel some players may have been looked at slightly differently in today's media environment - I mentioned Zidane as an example of that recently. Especially true since most people could only see many players in the CL or World Cup as league broadcasts were very limited. I think you need to watch a player regularly in order to get his full measure.
Re. the top striker: I tend to favor Arsenal when watching English football, but even being more or less neutral I find the transfer policy frustrating. They had a golden opportunity to sign a talent like Draxler, but the Schalke boss suggested they didn't meet the price. Now AFC will likely have competition for him this summer. I think given his profile he could be a great forward, especially considering Wenger's talent for converting players' positions - e.g. Henry.
Agree that Ozil could use some rest. He isn't used to not having a winter break.

Swear some of y'all just yap without knowing any of the facts.

Pep has already said that Kroos can leave. And the reason he's leaving is because he wants a huge contract that Bayern isn't willing to pay him, but other clubs will. Bayern are already paying half their roster an insane wage and they'd have to pay out the *** to keep Kroos.

So to just yap like there is no possibility of him leaving is just ignorant.

Oh, the irony. This coming from the guy who whined when people were discussing the possibility of Mata being sold, and that was actually during a transfer window. Pep never said he could leave, and this is a typical contract episode. Bayern and Kroos are still apart on wages, but you don't just give in to the other side - that's negotiating 101. You heard the names of other clubs come up when CR and Iniesta were negotiating contracts too, and this isn't all that different. Bayern are well in the black, and I don't see why they'd let one of their best players go over a few million per season, but as usual the chance he could leave isn't zero.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom