The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Just repped, thanks for the gifs.

I agree with what you said Psk, Man City's defense has lapses and the GK is in la la land. But this Man City is not like teams past. No team can start spending millions of dollars and expect results that quick. But they have gotten better, much better. Navas was the player they so desperately needed. Negredo and Silva, thats the other Spanish connection. Toure this year has been playing much more forward because Fernandinho is doing a great job of covering space in the back midfield. They are a better team no denying that.

But thats why I said I think City are going to go after some defensive help in January. If they do that, it makes them that much better. (Mangala? :nerd:)

Regardless, it will be a great match up to watch same with the Arsenal vs Bayern. Whoever wins out of those 2 match ups will be a better team for it. I'll actually predict the CL winner might come out of either of these 2 match ups.

I repped you louisl, but I hit my limit right as I got to your last gif posting... I'll hit that last one later when I get my reaping back... Thanks...

Premier League World is having a Belgium special. Real good so far. I like how they touched base on the multiculturalness of the country. About 3-5 languages were spoken so far
laugh.gif
That is a really well done show... Last week or perhaps the week before they had a focus on South America's ties to the Prem. They had a cool story on the Everton club in Chile's Primera Division...
what channel?

Premier League World is having a Belgium special. Real good so far. I like how they touched base on the multiculturalness of the country. About 3-5 languages were spoken so far :lol:

That is a really well done show... Last week or perhaps the week before they had a focus on South America's ties to the Prem. They had a cool story on the Everton club in Chile's Primera Division...
what channel?

NBC Sports. Use your digital guide to find the next time it's on.

I'd like to see the Henry doc mentioned in the story... Tried finding a trailer or something but only saw old stuff. The Gunner site mentions it being available in iTunes but I didn't see anything...

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/arsenal/id/3008?cc=5901

Dec 21 @ 10:58AM EST
Time for Arsenal stars to become legends
Posted by John Cross

This week I was lucky enough to go to a screening of 'Arsenal Legends: Thierry Henry'.

It is a fabulous film detailing Henry's rise from youngster to World Cup winner, to big Arsenal signing, to club legend.

Henry was present at the Diamond Club, along with fellow greats Ian Wright, Ray Parlour, Sol Campbell, Jens Lehmann, Martin Keown and David Seaman.

The film, narrated by Henry and shot through his eyes and recollections, threw up some weird and wonderful memories and quirks.

Such as his hatred -- hard to think of any other word no matter how hard I try -- of Tottenham and his desperation to step off the bench and score to make sure they didn't win the final North London derby staged at Highbury.

Also, how Henry celebrated at White Hart Lane when Arsenal clinched the Premier League title there in 2004, despite being told not to by stewards and police. And remembering Mauricio Taricco celebrating wildly (so wildly he got cramp) after Spurs drew -- yes, drew -- against Arsenal. A point was enough to win the title so hard to know why Taricco was so happy.

My personal favourites were Henry revealing he became driven to always play well against Liverpool after feeling robbed by them in the 2001 FA Cup final when Arsenal lost despite dominating the game.

Or, finally, his favourite ever moment in an Arsenal shirt was when he scored against Leeds in the FA Cup after he came back to the club on loan from New York Red Bulls. He had won titles and cups with the Gunners yet that goal meant more. Yes, really.

Henry was always passionate. Always great for the press. He'd regularly ring me to make a point (sometimes calmly, sometimes angrily) about a story or a headline. I'm all for that. I enjoy the dialogue and he was a top guy.

Sure enough, when I saw him last week, he was immediately friendly: "I haven't seen you in far too long." I enjoyed asking him about his new role in the media as a TV pundit and, typical of Henry, he then admitted that he had analysed every bit of his own analysis.

Henry will be brilliant as a pundit because he does his research, is a tireless student of the game and is passionate.

Our relationship goes back many years, to when he started at Arsenal. Back in those days, in 1999, journalists generally took it in turns to go down the tunnel, speak to a player (generally the story of the match) and share the quotes among the daily newspapers.

After Henry scored his first ever goal at Southampton, I went down the tunnel at The Dell and spoke to the Frenchman, who was destined to become Arsenal's greatest ever striker.

Henry was a long way from the confident man he is today. A bit nervous, his English a long way from what it is now. But sure enough, there was still a joke about worrying the ball was going to go sailing over the bar.

Henry is a class act. Full of power, pace and goals. A world class striker who stayed at Arsenal for eight years, turned down huge moves when he was the most sought after player in the world and is a club legend.

Henry established that status with his goals, but also his passion for the club. The film was fabulous. For a movie produced in-house, it blew me away. Right up there with the 'Keane & Vieira: Best of Enemies' documentary.

But it also got me to thinking... who is the new Henry? It would be hard for anyone to emulate his goals. But who could stay at Arsenal and become a legend like some of those guys; like Henry, Parlour, Wright, Keown, Seaman, Lehmann and Campbell.

Bacary Sagna has been there since 2007. He's been so loyal. But there's nothing like a striker to win the fans' hearts.

Or a player who is incredibly passionate in public about their team. Players like Wojciech Szczesny and Jack Wilshere, who both came of age at the club, they could stay a long time and become legends.

Per Mertesacker has a connection with the fans. You wonder if Mikel Arteta can do that. If Mesut Ozil can win trophies with Arsenal then maybe, just maybe, you could see him compared to Dennis Bergkamp.

Kieran Gibbs, Theo Walcott and Aaron Ramsey all young enough to stay at the club for the best years of their careers, be successful, win trophies and become legends.

There can be no doubt that Arsenal fans still look at a few names from yesteryears and wonder about the current bunch: where are the ones who will stay for life or become greats?

But the reality is that to become legends and be all-time greats, you have to show loyalty and, most importantly, win trophies.

That's why Henry is in good company for his films. Bergkamp and Nigel Winterburn have made one. Lee Dixon's film is out soon.

So to be part of history, the likes of Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Szczesny, Ozil and Mertesacker know that their popular status among fans will only elevate further when they have trophies to show for their efforts.

Just read a report that three Americans signed with Cruz Azul. That's the first team too, not the second division affiliate. I saw that one of the players was Jose Villareal. I remember Galaxy having really high hopes for him.

Where are all the MLS fans/watchers. Any info on these 3?

Last edited:
Just read a report that three Americans signed with Cruz Azul. That's the first team too, not the second division affiliate. I saw that one of the players was Jose Villareal. I remember Galaxy having really high hopes for him.

Where are all the MLS fans/watchers. Any info on these 3?
Villarreal is there on a 1 year loan w/ option to buy. The other two players, Rafael Baca of SJ and Michael Farfan of Philly, are likely full transfers.

Villarreal is boss, lots of promise there obviously, but as I said a few days ago there just isn't much room with for him to get PT with the Galaxy so the loan should be great for him. I read somewhere 

that the Galaxy might bring him back after the Liga MX Clausura season to fill in for Landon Donovan during the World Cup.

Farfan is more of a defensive minded mid that shows nice tight control, Baca is good with moving the ball within the second third and clearing up congestion.

Great matches in La LIga today... Just watched Atleti beat off a strong Levante side with Costa scoring a brace making it 19 goals in this campaign. Simeone & his Atleti side are 3 points up on Barca right now in first place. I honestly think Atletico Madrid can do some damage in the CL...

I"m actually excited about seeing Barca play without Neymar & Messi tomorrow against Getafe on their pitch. It will be interesting to see the side Tata fields tomorrow.

Vela ended up not getting the hat trick but getting a brace was enough to beat Granada 3 - 1.

Premier League World is having a Belgium special. Real good so far. I like how they touched base on the multiculturalness of the country. About 3-5 languages were spoken so far :lol:

I didn't get to see that one but hopefully I can find it. I thought the episode on Belgium was great. I'm extremely happy with how NBC has been running things. It's a shame that I didn't win the CL/EL bid.

As was mentioned earlier by another poster
BcEJADvCQAAPZE6.png

:lol: Is that Suarez? Guess he got that raise & decided to get more Corona, some diet coke, & what looks like Propel... Dos Equis is so much better than Corona...

Arsenal need to win on Monday..A loss and we're in 4th. A point is no good either

Sucks that Koscielny probably wont play

Last edited:
I'm feeling a 1-1 draw from Emirates. Ramsey and Lamps.

Feel bad for AVB. Not what I expected at Chelsea or Spurs. His stock has plummeted.

Villarreal is there on a 1 year loan w/ option to buy. The other two players, Rafael Baca of SJ and Michael Farfan of Philly, are likely full transfers.

Villarreal is boss, lots of promise there obviously, but as I said a few days ago there just isn't much room with for him to get PT with the Galaxy so the loan should be great for him. I read somewhere 
that the Galaxy might bring him back after the Liga MX Clausura season to fill in for Landon Donovan during the World Cup.

Farfan is more of a defensive minded mid that shows nice tight control, Baca is good with moving the ball within the second third and clearing up congestion.

I honestly don't see how any of them will get any significant play in the Mexican League. Maybe in the Cup, but not the league, but we'll see. I'm intrigued by that Villareal kid...

Teves scores early to put Juve up but Atalanta comes back & ties 1-1 before the 15 min mark...

Last edited:
Man king Arturo has really come into his own. That damn cross bar got in Progba's way...

Am I the only one that thinks Teves looks like the Tasmanian devil from Looney Toons?

Last edited:
Lloris is so overrated, what the hell was he doing.

No need to come out, none.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom